Chapter 12 - Light of Burning Bronze

Sigmundo, the dragon in the shape of an old scholar, he smiles a serpentine smile. You say that Fire is a Familiar companion, eh? A magus you may be, thou art mere mortal. The Magical Realms of the Mind and Body, these are more suited to your kind. but what do you truly know of Fire, man of flesh? You were not made for the Fire!
It isn't your companion! It always has and shall ever be your enemy! Dare you withstand the Test of the Flames?!??!!?

And with that, the old scholar opens wide his mouth, and unleashes a massive torrent of fire, concentrated directly upon Vares! He disappears from sight, obscured by the fire, he is incinerated!

Or so it seems.
But I am just over dramatic, and so is the dragon. The flames subside, and Vares is utterly unscathed. But there are roasted goats on either side of him. Carlos had sent out three large ones when Vares went out, then got out of the way as they began their discussion.

He looks at the drakes, nods to the goats, then turns back to Vares. I do not need to be so dramatic in bestowing the blessing, I just wanted to teach you a lesson and impress upon you to beware of your preconceived notions of the power of Fire. Now, did you bring the tokens? I desire to speak with Antonio.

The sudden shift in the transformed Dragon's demeanour is all the warning Vares has--and so he acts. Without word or gesture, without hint or sign, he calls forth the "Ward Against Heat and Flames". Nothing in his horoscope indicates that this is the day of his direst threat, but he knows that it is a risk, a gamble of his own magic versus the need to avoid appearing 'weak' before a being of Sigmund's stature. He knows not to launch a counter-attack. Instead, he is ready with the "Leap to the Threshold of Heavenly Decree" should the intensity of the flames prove too great, or the Dragon pursue a genuine assault.

When the fires abate, Vares' person is unmarred, however, his countenance is less than pleased. "I know 'The Test of Flames', as it so happens. I learned it during my Apprenticeship. And how to meet it." His tone is stoic. "You are offered hospitality and welcome. Is this how you return it to one to whom you have extended a pledge of assistance in return for another favour already received by yourself?" The old, OLD laws of hospitality are something that even a Dragon should respect--for if the Dragon does not, then the chain of obligation and responsibility, of shared respect and accord would be shattered, and no matter how great the Power, few would be the beings who would hold it in esteem.

He will give the Dragon a chance for a civil reply, and makes his own clarification. "I said 'normal fire' is our familiar companion--not the Essence of Flame. And I have indeed been to the Realm of Mind, and learned much from it."

OOC: There is a fine line between "drama" and outright provocation. Fortunately, Vares is not the stereotypical Flambeau "hothead"--but he also knows better than to yield before a Dragon in a social situation like this one. Doing so IN HIS OWN HOME (as a member of the Andorra Covenant) would be a sign of weakness and submission...the more so because Sigmund has just flirted with violating the laws of hospitality. Laws that are older than the Dragon, older than the Ages of Iron and probably Bronze. Laws which are etched deep into the lore of Magic and Faerie. A being of the Inferno might break them due to its nature. For any other to do so... has consequences. In terms of the hierarchies of power and respect, in retaliation and growing vengeance if not mystical backlash, which is said to affect some orders of being, up to and including self-proclaimed "gods".

Sigmund's choice of alias makes the laws of hospitality all that more significant. The Norse and the Germans were as touchy on the subject as the Celts. It's also worth noting that within a century, Dante's "Divina Comedia" trilogy would, in its most famous "Inferno" portion, list a betrayal against benefactor/host as one of the four crimes meriting the Ninth Circle of Hell.

Hi,

Maurice says drily, "I think the wizard Ameline has already set the tone, and if the noble dragon Sigmundo has departed in some small way from the exquisite courtesies of guests and hosts, of offering and receiving assistance and meeting pledges, his courtesy exceeds what he has seen so far, and his restraint in the face of it. But perhaps you have come to set things right."

Anyway,

Ken

Marie who has listened silently to all this, meekly asks:

"Carmen?"

Vares turns slightly to face the drake who has spoken without allowing his attention to be diverted from Sigmund. "What tone would that be?"

He waits for either the drake, Sigmund, or Ameline to elaborate.

Ameline is not there having left to get tokens. The tone she said was one based on Simon eating things because he could even if he didn't have claim to it.

Hi,

"She insulted us," Maurice explains. "Venkath's leadership, Sigmundo's wisdom, my intelligence--and, if I understand human customs at all, our value as allies, as though she'd rather us not be here."

Anyway,

Ken

Vares finds the drake's claim...uncertain. "What was said, precisely?"

As Maurice is about to speak, Venkath overrides him. "It happened. It's done."

Assaying the power structure of Sigmund and the drakes, Vares says nothing as one drake counters the other, their names or alias as yet undeclared to him. He redirects his attention to Sigmund, waiting for a reply from the most powerful (presumably) among them.

Ha ha ha! Calm thyself. I have granted you a blessing, for you now have a temporary Immunity to Heat and Flames, which will last for as long as I deem for it to remain. Now come, I wish to speak to Antonio.

Sigmundo just granted you a blessing and has rendered you utterly immune to heat and flames. :smiley:
He did it in dramatic fashion to demonstrate to you magi that you are dealing with serious levels of power. Ameline was insulting, yes, but he figured it was more out of ignorance than malice. As for the Old Laws of Hospitality, they mean something to the dragon, yes, and Ameline violated that old code when she told the drakes not to eat anything (food being the most basic requirement of hospitality). But also keep in mind that you are thinking of the old human codes. Sigmundo's old code reads "see human, eat human". The dramatic show was also intended to be flamboyant because that is what he expects from Flambeau magi. Flamboyancy and appreciation for the dramatic. That is how old man Antonio rolls, he figured you would appreciate it.
Oh, and there is no such thing as the "typical Flambebau hothead". That is just the weak magi who don't understand them say as an insult, mainly because jelous of their power.

Yes, I owe a favor to Carmen as well, when she calls upon it. She is the one that needs to e rescued, correct?

Marie's Tytalean impatience gets the bettr of her:
Yes that's the one. And time is running out. I don't even want to think about what that ruffian is doing to her. But, alas, the knights are busy talking and the dragons are just brutes, way to unrefined to see the value of saving a noble lady. Come on boys, let's pack some holy water and our vis and kick some efreet, well, bottom.

My! A fiesty one! Just the way I like them. I prefer boldly crass over subtly rude any day. Yes, you are correct. Time is of the essence. So if you could let us inside so we can make the final preparations, we can get underway.

Oh. and...
poof!
a cloud of magical smoke covers over you, making you dirty with soot. It is magical, but cuts straight through your Parma Magica.
You are likewise rendered immune to harm from Heat and Flames. As agreed, I shall offer each of you my protection in this way. But mind you, it is only temporary. I shall withdraw the power back unto myself whence you return.

Marie ignores the dirt (well she tries - not entirely successfully) and asks:

"Okay, what is left to do before we can free poor Carmen?"

Well, I am not entirely sure what your plans are. For my part, after I grant each of you my blessing of immunity to fire, I will transport you to the Arc of Fire and open it up. The rest is up to you.
You guys currently have the false ransom Vares created. Maybe you want to place a trap on it? :smiley:

AMeline actually told the drakes not to eat anything without asking. It was primarily aimed at SImon. Drakes have never been among humans and she was worried about that. The last thing she wanted was simon muching down on some horse because he was hungry and it was nearby. It was not directed at Sigmundo who she expected would embarass Antonio with his grace and manners. She is so looking forward to Sigmundo and Antonio meeting.

After returning with the four tokes of which she gives one to Sigmundo first. They are on long leather thongs. being the best she could do to improvise. This way the drakes can wear them on their neck and have claws free for walking or other purposes.

She goes to join the others and frowns. "With the blessing of protection from fire and the arc opened up, then I will approach the Efreet and speak with him. The rest of you rescue carmen. No false ransom, no deception and lies. Do this with truth, with courage, with compassion. with faith in God we will prevail. A false ransom is trickery and deception and is work of the devil. We only need faith in God to succeed for it is to man that dominion over the earth was given, the efreet trespasses on that. If nothing else, I freely accept my fate if Carmen is freed for god will be with me. As for final preparations, I need a period to rest as my sleep was cut short for this mess."

Hi,

All of the above is OOC. The drakes' actions, reactions and apparent demeanor are as described.

Maurice and Venkath do not immediately take theirs but watch Simon, who sniffs his token very carefully for maybe 30 seconds before taking it in his jaws and swallowing it. "Safe. But not yum yum," he says, dejected.

Maurice and Venkath accept their tokens.

Maurice says in a stage whisper to Venkath, "Now that's going to go over well."

Venkath bristles.

Maurice whispers again, audibly enough to be overheard yet quiet enough that the comment can honorably be ignored, "I'm sure the Ifrit will be happy to hear this."

"That explains why she's still alive after antagonizing everyone else."

As Maurice starts to whisper something else, Venkath says to him, "Enough." But there is no anger in his voice, which holds what for him passes as good humor.

Anyway,

Ken

Sigmundo and the drakes enter the gates of the keep; most of the rest of the magi are there to meet them, there are guards lines up all around making an impressive show of pomp & circumstance (and ready to act in a moment’s notice if need be).

Rodrigo mentions that we have two days still until the appointed time of the exchange.
Well, then, I propose we get an early start and go to the island of Pantelleria. Lovely place, plenty of sun, hot springs, volcanic activity, and the mortal cuisine is most excellent.

Then you notoce Antonio eyeing the dragon, and Sigmundo eyes him back. For a moment, it appears as if they are sizing each other up in case of conflict. That is in fact what they are doing, but there is no imminent conflict coming. They respect each other’s power, and recognize the certainty of mutually assured destruction if they came to blows with each other.
Greetings Antonio. We meet again, only this time it is I who am the visitor. I was informed that your daughter was in danger, and I quickly came to see how I may assist.

Rather than become further entangled in the nuances of protocol, Vares tolerates Sigmund's flourishes--and is somewhat intrigued by the apparent variability in the Dragon's equivalent of a 'sigil', if that is what the effect accompanying the blessing might be.

Whatever he might ask is superceded by Ameline's declaration about dealing fairly and honestly. "There are signs that Khyrom is most wary of those certain in their Divine 'Faith'. Would you prefer a direct, honest assault without any attempt to gain an element of surprise? We could wield all our Power in an attempt to smash Khyrom's bastion to cinders and dispatch any Efreet or their servants we meet and you can pray that we'll get to Carmen before she is slain in turn. Or maybe you think Honour and Faith could be satisfied in a single duel with Khyrom? Or do you simply believe that proselytising will win his conversion and repentence?" Vares is... annoyed. After expending 14 pawns of Vis on a counterfeit 'ransom' with which he was not entirely pleased himself, to have Ameline declare it as 'the Devil's work' irks the Flambeau considerably.

He doesn't, however, disagree completely. "Ameline, your Faith IS an asset in this endeavour. Many are the tales that speak of outwitting the Efreet; few have ever been able to stand against the mightest wielding strength alone. What wisdom do you offer as a basis of strategy instead?"