Chapter 16 - Side Stories

There is one efreet left who can send you back. That would be Krusa, Khyron's cousin whom Metron had locked in the dungeon...

:smiling_imp:

Okay, I have made corrections and recalculated things more correctly.
The results of your surprise are a free attack and the enemy has a -6 to defense for said attack
The enemy groups are as follow..

• Two fire drakes
  • Four giants
  • Six elite ogres
  • Four groups of six common ogres
  • Two groups of a half dozen dogs

Your surprise volley was fired at the giants. Your Attack total was 51.
The Giant’s Defense equals 12 (roll of 8, Defense 10, no group bonus because they were surprised, Penalty -6)
1d10=5

Attack Advantage of 39, plus Damage of +10; equals Damage +49
Soak is +24, damage done equals 25, Size of the vanguard is +4 so they each suffer a Heavy Wound

Then Initiative, in order…

Initiative Totals

Dog group B = 14 (4 + roll of 1 then 5
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2616521/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2616521/

Dog group A =10 (4 + roll of 6)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2609419

Your group = 9

Drakes = 8 (1 + roll of 7)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2616519/

Elite Ogres = 7 (2 + roll of 5)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2616523/

Giants = 6 (0 + roll of 6)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2616520/

Regular Ogres
A = 6 (1+ roll of 5)
B = 5 (1 + roll of 4)
C = 3 (1 + roll of 2)
D = 1 (1 + roll of 0 then 4)
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2616537/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2616537/

So, the two groups of dogs go before you, then you get to go next, then the rest.
The dogs swarm up the hill sniffing you out and will be upon you in a round or two…

Hey Marko, few things real fast!

The Giant’s Defense equals 45 (roll of 8, Defense 10, Group Bonus +21, Penalty -6).

8 + 10 + 21 = 39 - 6 = 33 Defense, not 45. That would make it an attack advantage of 51 - 33 = 18. 18 + 10 = 28 - 24 = 4. So a Light Wound? Not that it matters since they have their spell, but still!

Also, out of curiosity, they were already formed up into battle formations? And, if it's a surprise round, do you get to pick if you want to apply your group bonus to attack or defense?

Anyway, enough OOC questions!

Titus sighs. "It would appear that these giants are tougher than expected. I'll deal with them, you three please dispose of the dogs that are rapidly approaching".

Titus flexes his level 50 Fellblade of the Art down to Sight and casts it at each of the four Giants.

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2616670/ = ( 3, 3, 6, 6 ) + 66 ( Bonuses ) - 45 ( Spell Level ) + 9 ( Penetration ) = ( 33, 33, 36, 36 ) Penetration Totals

So that's 40 Might Stripped from all of the Giants, assuming it penetrates. And they ARE Magic Realm creatures right? If you say they're Infernal... :imp: Oi!

Now the three archers fire at the closest group of dogs.

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2616699/ = 6 ( Roll ) + 19 ( Attack ) + 34 ( Group Bonus ) - 3 ( Range ) = 56 Attack Total.

Marie asks the efreet nicely to be sent home.

I recalculated again, taking away the group bonus for the giants. Surprise is surprise, and every time I give players the surprise advantage they tend to really f%#k my monsters up :laughing:
So they giants all suffered Heavy Wounds.
And then your ablation spell afflicts all of them, cancelling their magic power and causing them all to fall writhing in pain...
Then the dogs are upon you. I will even go so far as to give each of the four archers instant kill shots on four dogs. But the rest of this is going to be messy.
So, one group of six is pretty out of it, since four dogs died. They scamper off and whimper.
The second group are the tougher dogs I guess :laughing:

They roll a 1, followed by a 6, equals a roll of 12;
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2617859/
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2617862/
+14 Attack, +15 Group bonus, +2 for going Beserk, +3 for spending a point of Ferocity
Attack Total of 46
I will grant you a +3 bonus for your defense roll because you are invisible. Normally it would be +6, but they can sniff you out.

Sensing your desperation, he has certain demands.
First you must set me free from this dungeon. Then restore me to the rulership of this realm. Third, I want the bottle you imprisoned Khyron in. Rodrigo left it with Ameline befroe he went into the mirror.
Do these three things, and not only shall I return you home, but I shall grat to thee three favors that you may call upon at any time.

Ouch time! Now that they're to the group, the archers /titus are putting the group bonus into defense. Also, they're visible, The only invisible ones are the two Andorra Custos and Cadoc, they're waiting to spring the trap, the archers/titus are the bait! Plus invisible characters can't get a group fighting bonus.. so that's another reason not to be invisible. Also Titus didn't fire, so only 3 dogs would be dead. If they only lost half of their dogs, I'd imagine there's a pretty good chance they're coming at the group. Yes yes, being honest sucks sometimes eh? :confused:

Now for that defense roll!

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2617967/ = 5 ( Roll ) + 11 ( Defense ) + 39 ( Group Bonus ) = 55

That should be a miss. The same would hold true for the other dogs if they're no longer headed for the hills as it were.

Now that it's the groups turn, Cadoc reveals himself and spends two Might Points to activate his Dominate Canine Power. No need for a roll... so Might 30 - 5 x 2 ( Might Cost - Greater Power ) = 20 + 7 Penetration. So at a 27 Penetration ( Basically Aura of Rightful Authority ), Cadoc commands the Dogs to stop listening to their false masters and to follow him instead.

What the rest do depends on what happens here.

That works out awesome! I am very impressed!
The two Andorran Guards are the only two that are invisible, that's cool. They have lost Parma because they have moved out of sight (they cannot see you), having moved on down to the baggage cart as per Inigo's original orders. They back stab the overseer ogre and cut the human slaves free from their fetters.
Your group on the hill manages to pull together and fend off the attack from the pack of ogre dogs.
Does Cadoc's power affect multiple targets at once? If so, then all the dogs submit to him. If not, then he uses the power on the pack leader, having essentially the same immediate effect of halting the attack.

It is now Titus' action
Then come the two drakes, which have been let loose when their master dropped their leash.
Then comes the ogre eliete, followed by the commoner ogres

It is indeed a group power! So all 9 are affected. That's fine about the Andorran Guard, their Invis should be wearing off shortly ( Diam ).

The Archers fire at the drakes ( No bonus since it's in Defense this round :frowning: Silly dogs! )

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2619741/ = 9 ( Roll ) + 19 ( Attack ) = 28 Total

Titus is going to Flex his Slay the Mortal ( PeCo you die now spell ) up a Size to affect the Elite Ogres ( Who no longer have a Might Score, correct ? )

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2619750/ = 6, 8, 0, 0 +40 ( Bonus ).

No botch dice because of a Mastery Score of 3 / Golden Cord of 4. However Titus does lose 2 levels of fatigue, so he's now winded. I can calculate penetration if you'd like Marko, but I assume that since they no longer have Might Scores that it shouldn't matter?

It is the Giants that no longer have a Might Score. The Ogres still have their resistance. The leader has 15, the other five have 12. But you are casting four spells total, so I will leave the leader out of it to make it easier.
So, your base casting total is +40, plus your rolls equal totals of 46, 48, 40, and 40
(Sta +2, Perdo 20, Corpus 10, Mastery 3, Talisman +5, Aura* 3)
The spell's level (after flexing) is 45, so you do loose two Fatigue.
Minus Level plus Penetration & Mastery equals Penetration Totals of 9, 12, 3, and 3.
Resistance of the Ogres is 15 (Might 12 plus Magic Aura 3).
So none are affected.

The drakes roll a 7, plus Def +12 equals 19
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2619794/

Your Attack Total of 28 minus 19 equals an Attack Advantage of 9, plus 10 for Dmg equals 19, minus 12 for Soak equals Damage of 7.
They are Size +2, so this equals three Light Wounds (one suffers two of them, the other only one).
They flutter up by you, and breath...
The twin gouts of fire are large enough to cover the entire area and engulf you, the archers, and your dog.
Penetration 16
(Might 21, -10 for a might cost of 2, +5 for Penetration score and specialization)
Damage +15

The elite ogres are charging up the hill.
The commoners are stunned by the circumstances of the demise of their leader (the head giant); and confused as to what they should do.

I meant the Giants, not the Ogres, I'm glad I can type correctly... :confused: Oi! And if the head Giant was dead, that would leave 3 right? Then Titus would have only taken 1 fatigue loss, since one of the 0s was last. This is assuming you'll forgive my typing Ogre when I meant Giant. I knew what I meant, even if I didn't type it!

Titus is going to Fast Cast his Unraveling the Fabric of Ignem ( Group ) Spell. I assume that since Magic Realm Powers use the same guidelines as Hermetic Magic it should work?

Fast Cast Initiative roll: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2619824/ = 8 + 8 ( Bonuses ) = 16
Casting Roll: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2619828/ = 8 + 68 ( Bonuses ) - 10 ( Fast Cast ) = 66, more than enough to cast a level 50 spell.

None of the giants are dead, they are all out of comission though.
I shan't forgive the typo, because I think you really did mean Ogre. It would make the most sense. Why waste effort on an opponent that is knocked out? Focus ion the threat that is coming at you!!

Your Fast Cast Spell counters one of the two gouts of fire. The second splashes over your Parma and has no effect (I presume your guards and your dog are covered?)

Unravel ( Form ) Spells only work on hermetic magic. To unravel a magic power of a creature you would need a different spell. Even an elementalist effect using fire would need a different spell. You would I think however be able to use one 'Dispel Ignem Powers' to dispel any/all ignem based creature powers. Unravel the Form spells are only useful against other Magi. This is from the explicit description in the dispelling guidelines and in the spells. It works against a -specific- type of effect, such as 'Hermetic Terram Magic' or in this case 'Hermetic Ignem Magic'. Drake Breath is non-hermetic, and therefore doesn't count. My personal preference would be to lump all creature powers in together, but that is a judgement call.

Note that, while I don't think the spell should work at all, as a group version of the spell it can counter up to a full group of ten individual targets/spells/effects if allowed to proceed. This would mean it would counter the breath of both drakes at the same time.

Haha, fair enough. I didn't think they were out of fight to be perfectly honest. And I know Titus' Penetration on his PeCo is kinda blech, but that's neither here nor there!

Fair enough Vort. I'll have to have Titus create such spells sometime soon!

You assume correctly Marko. The Elite Ogres will be here next round?

Assuming the next round has started... Cadoc leads 5 of the dogs with him as they attack the Ogres climbing the hill, The other 4 lead by their old leader will follow and attack right after Cadoc's Group ( So any wounds are calculated first ). I'm just assuming the stats based off the previous attack, so let me know if I'm wrong. If they have a Ferocity Point, they'll spend it. The Archers/Titus are going to fire at the Drakes.

Cadoc's Group: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2619849/ = 7 ( Roll ) +19 ( Attack ) + 21 ( Group Bonus ) + 2 ( Leader of the Pack ) = 49

Old Leader's Group: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2619851/= 0 ( Roll ) +14 ( Attack ) +15 ( Group bonus ) +2 ( Berserk ) + 2 ( Leader of the Pack ) = 33
Roll for Botch: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2619853/ = 6

Archers: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2619850/ = 9 ( Roll ) + 19 ( Attack ) + 39 ( Group Bonus ) = 67

Cadoc's damage is at +16
Archers at +10
No idea about those dogs, you tell me! :smiley:

I will calculate this all out tomorrow. I gotta leave this library and go get some food. I am hungry!
Thinking about some Italian beef. I am sure that you uncivilized folk from outside of Chicago have little or no idea what Italian beef is, and I pity you :laughing:
Then again, if you are the sort that puts ketchup on hot dogs, then I have no pity.
And I call my beverage Pop, not Soda :smiley:

I think Vort is right on about the spell. I tend to be generous, but it does specify Hermetic Magic. But it matters not since Parma blocks it.
I will also have an encounter for Ludo versus the Hag prepared for tomorrow :smiley:

Okay, to make things simple...
The dogs engage the elite ogres and manage to render them combat non-effective &/or dead.
The archers drive the drakes off who then leave the battlefield.
The remaining ogres scatter,ignoring the dead and wounded.

Meanwhile, there was another raiding party advancing along the other side of the mountain. That one was handled by Inigo.

Loudo is advancing towads Titus' position, when he feels something ping off of his parma. Looking around furiously, he sees nothing. Then another ping, stronger this time. Ludo's ire rises.
There is no third ping, just a cackling of laughter trailing off into the wind...

Good enough for me boss. Titus will collect all the Vis that he can before heading to the assigned meeting location, new pack of friends in tow.

I don't think the ogre-dogs will stick around indefinately. And you wouldn't want them too anyways. They eat horses and people and are not housebroken.

Well as long as Cadoc keeps refreshing his power there's no reason they shouldn't! Besides, that's nothing a little bit of house breaking can't fix! Well.. magically enforced house breaking...