Chapter 16 - Side Stories

No, seriously, you don't want the ogre-dogs hanging around. You will be held personably responsible for any trouble they cause. And the first child that gets eaten will get you lynched.

I happen to be rather attached to my neck! Though bad puns aside, fine no dogs. Cadoc will send them away, telling them to never come near Andorra again.

You could always kill them and take their vis :smiley:

Haha, that I could! I take it you'd just be hand waving it if I did? If so, GIMME GIMME GIMME! :wink:

No hand wave. You gotta actually kill them first :smiling_imp:

Awww, but I want to be lazy... fine, can do! In fact, more than happy to!

Cadoc is going to distract the dogs before tearing into their leader with a surprise attack

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2625135/ = 1
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2625136/ = 7 = 14 ( Roll ) +19 ( Attack ) = 33

Damage is at +16

Titus and his men are going to fire at the pack of dogs

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2625142/ = 3 ( Roll ) + 19 ( Attack ) + 39 ( Group ) = 61

Damage is at +10

The Andorra Guards are going to attack as well, though I don't have their stats. Keep in mind this is all happening at once.

The Andorran guards are not present. They are otherwise busy.

But you, you cold hearted bastard! You just dusted all those dogs gangland execution style!

Classic Apromor style :smiling_imp:

1 pawn Animal per dog.

Mwahahaha! 8) I must admit that I found your description quite funny Marko. Oh yeah, how much Vis did I get for the Ogres etc?

Now we're going to use Cadoc's Nose of the Bloodhound power to find and meet up with the others.

2 pawns corpus per ogre.

I estimate that in total thats 12 pawns Corpus and 6 pawns Animal

[OOC: I am left with a very vague understanding of what is transpiring in this 'encounter' with Ludovico and the hag Agthene. In the interest of continuing things apace I will try and fill in the gaps myself and give something of a worthy response. ]

[OOC: I am writing from work so I can not use the dicerolling site we have been using for this game. Marko, can you please make a few rolls for me?

I would like checks on the following to appraise the situation Ludovico finds himself in at current.

Perception + Awareness ( 1 + 2 ( Searching? )): 3(4) + die

Perception + Second Sight ( 1 + 4 ( Spirits? )): 5(6) + die

Intelligence + Magic ( or other ) Lore ( 2 + 3 (Spirits)): 5(6) + die

I am willing to spend two points of confidence on any or all of these rolls, if it will make the difference between success/failure and/or a tangible difference in results etc. ]

Ludovico pulls up sharply in his flight, ascending in a steady climb as he 'hears' the grumbling voice of Ordobos, a silent voice in his thoughts for now, that volcano god has felt and resisted several instances of incoming magic. The concealing cloak of storm and vapor that Yasmine had woven about Ludovico had apparently not been sufficient. At once the Magus' rage is fueled anew, and yet... where is his enemy? Concealed in the cover created for himself?

[color=red] "Yasmine! Raise the storm above us! And strike her down, if you can." He calls out, his voice seeming almost lost in the gale and whirl of the storm around him. Yet Yasmine hears. At once the clouds begin to roll and coil, thundering and lightning about within themselves, and then spin upwards into a whirlpool of cloud that pulls the entire system higher aloft... and all at once, a moment after his command, Ludovico is aloft in an empty sky below the cover of the storm clouds.

The flash and boom of Yasmine's storm is still audible aloft, poised to strike at a visible target.

Ordobos grumbles darkly in the inner voice once again about his eagerness to burn the witch, yet maintains his own task of defending the Magus. Stretching his arms out Ludovico steadies himself in the air as he makes several turns about, seeking to find his enemy.

The newly revealed Magus, and the still growing storm system above him, should now be plainly visible to all in the small valley of Andorra. Rain may begin to fall any moment. ( Judgement and discretion applied of course. )

Titus and his men follow Cadoc who is tracking Ludo. Glancing skyward, Titus notices the storm that seems to form out of nowhere. “Now I'll be damned if that isn't Magic... Tighten up lads, it looks like our game is afoot”

Sight of the Active Magics: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2626810/ = 6 ( Roll ) + 49 ( Bonuses ) = 55 – 40 + 7 ( Penetration ) = 22 Penetration.

Titus quickly glances around, using his spell to look for active magical effects, while Cadoc searches using more mundane means.

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2626864/ = 9 ( Roll ) + 6 ( Hunt ) + 3 ( Perception ) = 18

They're both looking for anything, Hag, Ogres, Ludo, etc.

I will handle the rolls. But you will need to revise your declared actions after my comments

You detect nothing of use. No sign of the Hag.

You never stated that you were commanding Ordobos to protect you, and you never made a roll.
I will hand wave that this one last time, but no more.
One small problem. I realized that, if Ordobos was protecting you, then you would not have felt anything Ping against your Parma. Ifhe wasn't protecting you, then the very first effect would have penetrated without you noticing.
As it is, the power level available is such that even Ordobos' might was penetrated on that third attempt, so the end results are the same.
Delayed effect. You will find out soon enough :smiling_imp:

What?!? No. When did Yasmine get storm powers? She never did anything like that before. No storm powers are listed on her sheet. In fact, she has no sheet.
No storm, no storm powers. Nada. Nix. Disallowed. Big Red Hammer. Denied.

You are unable to detect the enemy at this time.
Ordorbos also doesn't have stats. But I made a prototype for him the other day. I will send you PM for review.

There is no storm. No rain. None of that.

No storm, no magical effects, nothing of the sort.
False Alarm :smiley:

Fair enough! It still doesn't stop my previously stated action of using Cadoc to hunt down the others. Using Cadoc's Hunt total of 18 as it is still appropriate to what we're attempting to do. I realized I had said that we use Cadoc's power to find the other two. But since I didn't explicitly say that Cadoc took the time to smell the other two Magi and get their scent, that it wouldn't work. So call it a bit of self correction! Hence the 'mundane' tracking. :smiley:

You locate the two Andorran Guards, who have just returned from taking care of some business.
Those ogres that can still walk have fled.
Those giants are still alive though, and they are limping away from the scene.

Titus glances contemptuously at the Giants attempting to flee. "Not today you don't!" he yells before casting Slay the Mortal at each of the four.

Slay the Mortal, Flexed up a Size: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2628070/ = 1, 4, 5, 5
Second Roll: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2628072/ = 6

So that is casting totals of 4, 5, 5, 12 + 43 ( Bonus ) = 47, 48, 48, 55

These GIANTS ( See Marko? I got it right this time! ) don't have a Might score so they lack MR, correct? So Penetration calculations shouldn't be needed.

Once the Giants has been dispatched Titus will search the bodies for anything of interest before moving on, again using Cadoc in an attempt to find the others.

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2628076/ = 9 ( Roll ) + 6 ( Hunt ) + 3 ( Perception ) = 18 ( again! )

This is where I disappoint you, and I apologize for that.
The Giants have no might left, and thus no resistance. This is true.
However, the spell you are casting is insufficient. The giants are too big. Even after you flex for size (which really isn't allowed by RAW, but I decided to let that slide way back with Xavi's character; anyway, even after flexing for size, they are too big.
And they were not incapacitated from their earlier injuries. Just heavy wounds. So they are able to fight or flee.
I choose flee. And scatter. The giants each take off in a separate direction.

Marko, flexing to Size is actually mentioned in Eustace of Flambeau's write up. It says that he does exactly what Titus did!

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't it affect them? A size bump for all magic is x10 right? It says that a base amount for Corpus is an adult human up to size +1, then 10 humans worth of size is what the spell should be able to affect, right? What size are these giants for this not to affect them?

Who is Eustace of Flambeau? Doesn't ring a bell. Doesn't matter, I allow it anyway.
Anyways, base size affected is +1, times-ten is size +3, another times ten is size +6, etceteras.
These guys are all in the Size +4/+5 range.

Eustace is a Flambeau in ToME. You'd like him! And... since he's Titus' Parens take a look at em if you can get your hands on the book :slight_smile:

Size +4 should be affected. The base of Corpus is an Adult Human Male up to Size +1. Core Rulebook says that an increase in 3 Sizes is a factor of ten change in size. So a Corpus spell with a +1 Size bump affects up to Size +4. At least that's my understanding of the rules... I could be wrong!