Laetitia casts Perception of the Conflicting Motives to try and figure out what he wants. Forceless casting, quiet casting mastery ability, and using subtle gestures-- assuming we're not in a divine or infernal aura I can't fail that. What's he after?
Laetitia whispers to Siana, asking her to get rid of the beggar (potential thief, she suspects).
Siana sighs heavily, for she hasn't understood a single word out of the buffoon's mouth, and no one that ugly would understand Cymraeg. So she approaches the beggar and shoves him, then points back in the direction of the town. She points to the hilt of her sword, and then melodramatically draws one finger across her throat in the universal pantomime
Carmen looks indignent, then gets involved. She comes over to the beggar, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. They jabber in Catalan, Carmen offers him some bread. He balances it on his nose, does a back flip, and catches the bread in his mouth. Carmen laughs and claps and jabbers some more in Catalan. Then she summons Carlos over, orders him to protect the beggar from the Italian tugette, then smirks at Laetitia.
Laetitia rolls her eyes in exasperation. "Carmen, while I appreciate your sentiments, you should be more careful. I have read the scamp's mind, and I believe he would rob us at his first opportunity," she says in Latin. She places a hand on Esteban's arm and asks if he is able to confirm (she just assumes a Jerbiton is better with Mentem than she is), then she turns back to Carmen. "While the wastrel's antics may be amusing, there is no need to look for trouble when it so easily finds us on its own. I am sure Esteban is already duly impressed with your desire to seem friendly and approachable."
She sponts Call to Slumber on the scamp, fatiguing herself. (Roll 5 + Stam 1 + Re 11 + Me 5 = 22 + aura, halved, assuming the aura is not a Divine or Infernal or 4 or more, the spell is successful. invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2725030/)
Then, without fatiguing herself, she sponts a slightly improved version of Probe for Pure Silver at level 5 rather than level 4, that looks for both silver and gold. (InTe total is a 43 which is plenty for a non-fatiguing lv 5 spont.) She sniffs around to see if the scoundrel has already pocketed anything of value. (Awareness 3 + Per 2 + roll 10 = 15. invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2725039/)
Laetitia eyes Carmen suspiciously, and says in Italian, "...Esteban is far too clever to be fooled into thinking the whore is not completely sociopathic. Right?"
Siana quirks an eyebrow. "Trouble in paradise?" she inquires.
Laetitia frowns and shakes her head. "The blond simpleton thinks I'm after her man."
The archer snorts. "Well, are you? I see the way you look at him. Not much different from how Rhadamanthus looks at me when I've shifted into bear form, now that I think about it."
The Italian maga colours. "Of course I'm nnn-- AH! I can't know this about you and my familiar!"
Siana shrugs and replies nonchalantly, "We haven't mated."
Laetitia shakes herself, as if trying to shrug off a very disturbing mental image. "Perdo Menteming the last five seconds of this conversation..." She pauses briefly for effect, though she doesn't actually cast anything "Oh, what's that you ask? The caballero? Well... I think he's attractive, certainly. But he's entirely unsuitable. He's obviously the type more interested in the hunt than he could ever be in the quarry. And unless I'm completely off the mark, he probably thinks of Carmen as the mystical white hart. The only reason he's attracted to her is because he thinks he can't have her. Understandable since she's about as approachable as the Prima of Bonisagus, but he's dreadfully mistaken because that tramp would spread her legs for anyone with a couple coins to clink together. But he thinks he can't have her, so he wants her. I mean, there's no other explanation for it. Just look at her-- her face might be almost pretty, if she didn't constantly look like she's been sucking on lemons. And I thought Spaniards were supposed to be busty? She's in a bodice that I might have been able to squeeze into when I was nine, but certainly not since."
Siana pokes her friend in the ribs with a finger. "You DO like him!"
The Guernicus giggles for a moment, but then turns serious again as she shakes her head. "I might have if I'd met him twenty years ago, when I wouldn't have known any better. No, he has a handsome face and a pleasing backside-- could almost be Italian with an arse like that. But there's nothing else there. He would be entirely... inappropriate to pursue. And I actually don't mean that in the "comes with psychopathic pyromaniac admirer" sense, either."
The Welsh woman nods sagely. "You're right. Marrying him wouldn't piss off your father nearly enough to make you happy," is her sardonic retort.
Suddenly the Italian woman literally explodes in a barrage of expletives-- even people who speak no Italian are pretty certain they know what they're hearing, due to the delivery. She punches at a tree in her anger, and actually, probably manages not to hurt herself in the process (invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2725134/), and then proceeds to stew in silent anger.
Then he lays down and goes to sleep right in the middle of the dirt road. Some of the men laugh, Carmen glowers.
He has three quarternales (silver coins from Barcelona). Everyone checks their pockets,no one seems to be missing anything.
Carmen is stubborn. She rouses the beggar and gives him an oarnge. She has adoped him as camp mascot
"Are you honestly, seriously trying to set up some kind of pissing contest when you're putting our safety at risk? While you would perhaps prefer to wait for him to rob you of your jewelry and then hunt him down and kill him afterwards, some of us prefer to avoid trouble with no risk to the lives and safety of ourselves or others." Laetitia scoffs at Carmen.
She will apologise to Esteban, bid him safe travels, and make plans to meet him in Barcelona.
Once Laetitia, Siana, and Rhadamanthus are out of sight of the mundanes, Siana will shift into a gyrfalcon, Rhadamanthus will resume his own form, and we'll travel at speed for Barca.
Esteban frowns. "I would have expected a Quaesitor to be slower to make conclusions about a man's intentions." Then he adds, "This fool seems harmless enough. Probably he's just following us to enjoy the scenery." This last is punctuated with an appreciative gaze at Laetitia's figure.
As a reminder-- L's talisman has unlimited charges of 7LS, so Siana will scout ahead. Our pace will be set by Rhadamanthus, and L will pace him using her talisman.
Carmen: [color=red]He is harmless, and somewhat entertaining. But the Quaesitor has a point. Why is he not affected by my Gift? I mean, I have a very strong blatant gift that causes most people great discomfort.
Which reminds me. We forgot to cover our guards with Parma. Carmen will start, casting it over Alexandro, Oscar, Carlos, and as many others as her ability score allows.
Away from the others, Rhadamanthus is aroused from a most pleasant nap, and changes back into his bear form at the insistence of his maga. Stretching his huge form, he looks at his much less dextrous paw and comments to himself, "it's always a little strange to be back." After Laetetia catches him up to speed, he looks in the direction she's pointing. "You... you want me to walk... to Barcelona?!?" He snorts and sits back on his hindquarters, crossing his arms above his belly. "Listen, Esteban has a point. I think you've lost perspective here because of your annoyance at the firebitch; you need to pull back and judge the situation as befits your station. Besides, aren't you at least a little curious why the beggar doesn't seem to be affected by Carmen's Gift?
"Given my station I find it best not to ask questions to which I will regret learning the answers. Now you can either walk or stay behind. Naturally I'd prefer you come with me, but if you'd prefer to stay while Siana and I move along, and have a long nap here" --she looks about at the utter lack of civilisation-- "then I imagine you'll be quite hungry when you wake, and all our food will be on its way to Barcelona."
At the mention of her name, the girl looks in Laetitia's direction. "Is this really necessary? Can't you just make fun of her dress like a normal jealous woman, instead of putting us at risk alone on the road?"