Chapter 2: Back at the covenant

[color=red]I don't think it is important but which door was unlocked?
And where is Ardath? When I ordered a servant girl to ... umm ... clean up my lab she talked such nonsense she wants to go to school and something about her rights not to mention a lot of christian things. Ardath agitated the riffraff and they speak now bullcraps.

[color=red]You have something against Christians?

[color=red]It was the front door Manius. The covenants door where wide open during the night. We should thank the saints that we didn’t wake up with a werewolf in our bed. Justus replies.

[color=blue]
A servant girl comes into the room with a tray full of roasted meet. She looks rather scared and seems to avoid Manius as she walks to the table. When she places the tray on the table one of the magi notices that her eyes are rather cloudy in some mysterious way.

Before the girl

[color=red]This open door is a problem. Shouldn't the guards have closed it?

I must say I really don't like this. We already had one spy, and we may very well have more.
Maybe we could think about a solution, a kind of magical alarm?
Anyway, we really need more discipline among the servants and villagers. The fact that we are ready to listen to them changes nothing to the fact that, as I told them, our will must be absolute.

I'd also very much like to hear from whom comes the stories about us being cowards. This does not please me at all. Maybe we could talk to horst, the wounded grog, and have him restore the truth. Not officially, of course, as it would be seen as us ordering him around to cover our supposed cowardice, but... Well, he could do it out of sheer indignation about the calomnies about his beloved masters :wink: I did everything I could to save him and the others, even helped his recovery a little, so I think he owes me to tell the truth at least.

On a side note, I'm all for seeking our ennemy and destroying it... Once we've got ourselves a secure base here. This means magical defenses, like a strong aegis and some other usefull spells or items, mundane defenses useful against mass assault, loyal and competent guards and covenfolks, and maybe concealment through a Mentem or imaginem spell

Anyway, we really need to improve the fidelity of our covenfolks. We've taken good first steps, and need to continue, while making it clear nonetheless that good and beloved masters are still masters. Low magnitude magics to help them should help us on this, btw.

Once the girl is out

[color=red]What the hell??? Have you seen this? Could this girl be under some kind of spell? I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

[color=red]Can’t we just summon the covenfolk and ask them about the door, grant them a minor punishment if they confess and a more severe if they don’t. After all someone might have forgotten the door, it need not be the work of those that wishes to harm us. Justus grabs a bit of meat and gulps it down.

I say to the girl: [color=red]hey, you!
I catch her eyes and cast a Posing the silent question secretly on the girl.
-Will the food harm us?

After it: [color=red]you don't need to fear.
And I secretly cast a friendship spell on her toward me. I stand up and go to her and say silently:
[color=red]Come to the entrance of the building after the breakfast. I want to talk with you.
Then I go back to the table to eat if everything is ok.

I say to the girl: [color=red]hey, you!
I catch her eyes and cast a Posing the silent question secretly on the girl.
-Will the food harm us?

After it: [color=red]you don't need to fear.
And I secretly cast a friendship spell on her toward me. I stand up and go to her and say silently:
[color=red]Come to the entrance of the building after the breakfast. I want to talk with you.
Then I go back to the table to eat if everything is ok.

[color=blue]The food will not harm you. As the spell takes affect the girl seems more friendly toward Manius and smiles when she is ordered to meet him in his chambers in the morning.

[color=blue]OK, that's for later.

I smile to the girl and then seat back and start to eat.
[color=red]We must investigate the person who left the door open. Who have a key to the door?
And what happened to that grog? Where and how was he wounded??

[color=red]When we went into the forest, we were assaulted magically. this grog was lightly wounded back then, seemingly by a mist-creature.

As per the door, we should definitely investigate this. Maybe we should interrogate separately all the grogs that could have opened it, or seen how to open it?

[color=red]Ardath don’t you think that it is simplier to summon all the grog who are in the covenant or the vicinity of the covenant during the night and ask them. If anyone confesses we have saved us a great deal of time and if they don’t confess we can interrogate them. Does one of the covenfolk attempt to flee we have our man and can interrogate that particular subject. It both simple and time efficient. Justus seems rather pleased with himself.

Frederick looks annoyed, hearing these stories. He has been in his sanctum a lot except for his (short) daily walks in the afternoon.
[color=red]This does not sound satisfying, the grogs obviously do not look up to us as their masters. During my afternoon walk i saw they are building something big next to the town hall without our permission. We should claim our rightful position as their master. This unruly behaviour might cost us valuable time and thus valuable research.

Turning to Justus:
[color=red]You should investigate the door if it was opened by magic. If it wasn't we can offer that chance of confession.

I'll be offline for some days so at the end of the breakfast I will go to the girl and if I find her I will behave friendly make some compliments (she's pretty) and ask such questions:
[color=red]-What's your name? (I will call her on her name in the later.)
[color=red]-I heard the people gossip about us. What do they fancy? And what do you think? Why? Who said these to you?
-What is that building near the town hall?
-Do you know who let the covenant door open?
If she gives me any other infos voluntarily I will ask who said these to her. I don't want to fck her but if she looks excited she may get it.

And I will go invisible to the village where people gather to hear what they speaking about. I will not waste to much time to this. And I will see the the building near the town hall.
I will explain the main points of the infos to my sodales.

[color=red]Well, we can surely ask to all the covenfolk, and then interrogate them one by one if no one has an idea. Who knows? This may work.

As per this new building, I really don't like this :imp: I think we should ask what it is, then destroy it anyway as a punition for doing such a thing without consulting us, and then, if the idea nonetheless pleases us, grant them the right to build anew, on a place of our chosing.

By the way, while training the turb, a few grogs asked me if their children could get a place in the latin school. They also relayed demands from villagers. It seems that this idea is very popular amongst the villagers, and that we'll have a lot more candidates that we could hope for. This, at least, is a good news amongst bleak prospects :smiley:

[color=red]If Manius knows posing the silent question then the most efficient method would be for him to secretly cast it upon any covenfolk who could have left the door open and asking them if they did and if they did why. It is harder to lie to such a magical interrrogation and at the same time maintains secrecy of the fact we know we are being spied upon if we are and if we are not avoids demonstrating our mistrust of the covenfolk to the covenfolk.
The accusations of cowardice will be hard to overcome unless we can prove our valour in battle but unless we face open disrespect there is ltlle we can do about it. If we face disrespect then it will be necessary to make a demonstration of power . Until then it is a matter for the commander of our grogs to keep things in order.
We seem to have had a useful effort in persuading many of the covenfolk to respect the rights of the womenfolk and appreciate the education their children have available. Despite Manius's opinion I see this as a good thing.

This last is said with dismissive glance at Manius
[color=red]However we must be careful not to push to far and break the faith of our covenfolk in the lord. In this matter I think it urgent that we secure a Priest with whom we can work.
As to the new building let us find out what is being built and why, it is possible that it is a decision made by our covenant autocrat one economic grounds in which case it should be allowed to continue but he must be reminded to consult before making decisions. One of us should ask him immediatly

[color=red]I will go and investigate the door and then assemble the covenfolk to ask them about the unlocked door. It is my opinion that using magic to interrogate without a suspicion will harm the trust our servants has in us. We meet back here to tell each other about our finds, someone of you should go down to the town and find out what the new foundation are being built for. Justus rises from the table and walks away.

[color=blue]These are the answers that Manius gets:

-What's your name? (I will call her on her name in the later.)
Gretel
-I heard the people gossip about us. What do they fancy? And what do you think? Why? Who said these to you?
Some think that you are good lord others not, most are uneasy in you presence. The school is popular but I heard some mention that magical powers don’t come from the Lord. Can’t tell who told what, I merely heard others talking and something’s are unsaid.
-What is that building near the town hall?
Don’t know.
-Do you know who let the covenant door open?
Don’t know.

For those that go down to the village to see for themselves what is going on with the foundation finds a foreman and a few masons working on erecting a stone building. A few townsmen are also present doing all sorts of menial tasks.

[color=red]About the priest, marietta is right. I don't like this, but, as we're going to have a church, we really should try to have a priest who'll be friendly to us.

Ardath'll go investigate the building.

Stern face, really not happy-looking. Points to one mason
[color=red]You, there! What's that thing, and what the hell is it doing here???

Then head of the masons turns around and looks at Ardath, he speaks with a distinct dialect that shows that he has travelled here from west. [color=red]Calm down my good lady, I am Ditwin aus Hamburg and master mason. We are construction a new town hall as ordered madam. I assume that you are a lady of the manor (I expect that Ardath is dressed somewhat fancy), does your husband have a problem with our work?

The other men working around the construction grounds stop their work and looks at Ardath and their head mason.

While Ardeth heads into town, Marialla seeks out the Covenant Chamberlain/Steward.
[color=red] Have you athorised the buidling of any new large buildings in the village? If so why did you not first consult with us , if not Why is there a large building been built without your knowledge?
She keeps her voice quite an polite aware that the chamberlain/steward will be having enougth problems with her Gift without being shouted at