Chapter 2 (Summer 1013). Hiding under Hadrian's Wall

“Good that makes at least two of us. I’ll be useful if we need to fight but less so in gathering intelligence” replies Janus to Thom

Ealhstan finds a seat and orders a mug with the small amount of traveling money he has left, listening to the bard. At the mentions of Eadric's ban and the foul rumors about Luciu he thinks to himself that he should warn the store keeper of the charms shop but for now he has a mug and fellows to speak to next to him. When the bard is finished delivering his news, he turns to the left and asks, "What do you think of all that? Vile sorcerers and Eadric's ban on magic? We aren't in Mercia anymore, are we?"

Later he walks a roundabout way back to the charms shop and steps inside, "Ma'am, I heard some news in the square and I feel you might need to be aware of it. There was a bard in the square telling folks about the success of Eadric's ban on magic and stirring trouble against those who truck in the magic arts... I'm a pious man myself but I know that so was Solomon and he, also, was a user of magical arts... anyway, might not be safe for a woman selling things such as these here for much longer."

Ealhstan has to wait until the end of the announcements before he can grap a seat. Turning left, he sees well-dressed man about his own age, with blue eyes and ginger beard, probably a shop-keeper or maybe craftsman, just not a craft prone to soiling the clothes. He gives Ealhstan an odd look.

No we are not. We are were the witches and sorcerers run when they find themselves unwelcome in Mercia. These years have been bad, but it seems it can get worse still. Are you new in the land? Where do you come from?

She looks puzzled.

Why? Do you confuse me with someone else? I am no magic user; these are just decorations and simple utensils.

"Perhaps I have you all wrong, ma'am... but if I assumed, based on your wares, that you were a sorceress or something then I assure others of piety and less experience and education definitely will. I hope it comes to naught but if it does I have done my duty as a good Christian and warned you. Good afternoon." and with that Ealhstan leaves her to her trinkets and heads back to the square and the nice inn he saw.

She shakes her head, and turns to reorganising the combs as Ealhstan walks away.

The traveller and the priest's is a quiet place. The innkeeper is busy discussing with your head grog, and there are only a handful of guests, seated at two of the small tables which are conveniently organised by the windows to take advantage of the daylight. At one table there is man of the cloth talking to somebody not of the cloth. The group at the other occupied table are less distinctive; well off it seems but they look as if they have spent the day outdoors, with red cheeks and dusty clothes.

Thom smiles with some relief as Janus speaks up. "If our travels here were any guide, we could certainly use your more military gifts. I've a bit of a passion for imaginem and illusion. I could cast the Veil of Invisibility on us to help us stay out of sight of the mundane. Possibly mask our appearance in some other way with a phantom image. But honestly, I've not done much real field work. "

The handsome young man looks a tad sheepish at his admission, looking back at Janus and then at Caela for a moment.

"Does Ungulus have any skilled trackers or scouts who can join us?"

Caela hesitates a little before she answers, «we have a couple of rangers, even with some campaign experience, but we are really down to a minimal garrison.» Her eyes narrow and a furrow forms on her forehead. «I suppose we can spare one.»

Edwin asks eagerly of any news from Mercia, as it has been many months since he was last there. He will help with setting up the stall and advertising. He asks the traders if there are many monasteries in the area who may trade any surplus goods?

"Your most experienced ranger should do nicely," says Thom to Caela. "Seems appropriate to provide Master Janus with your best."

The young man turns to Janus.

"Perhaps we should wait until the folks that went to market return, in case one of them would like to join us. You're the senior magus, so I assume you lead this expedition." A hint of mischief gathers in the corners of the young man's eyes as he smiles.

1 Like

At the brewer's there are plenty of people who discuss the news brought by the bard, and recounting old news. The warring warlocks is the theme of the day.

It is time that lord Uhtred do as Eadric and root out witches and sorcerers once and for all.

The news from Mercia are not completely fresh, except for the inconsequential news from the closest border areas in West Mercia.

It may not be so easy; didn't you hear? Even Wulfric the Witch Hunter was burnt to crisp last season by some warlock called Janus. Of course, nobody kills Wulfric, but he was bedridden for weeks.

The bard has sat down close by, enjoying a free meal and drink for his services.

Yeah, and it got worse. Soon after Wulfric came crawling into Nottingham with his burns, another witch was broken out of gaol a few days South of Nottingham. The sheriff's men have combed the area ever since, but to no avail.

The conversation continues, elaborating and interpreting these events, with nobody volunteering additional actual fact.

2 Likes

"I've heard of Wulfric, clearly he must have found a truly mighty challenge to be bedridden. A witch was broken from gaol? Where was this prison, and what do they say about the witch?"

Edwin thinks Gaol break? That wasn't us...are these hedge witches or other magi defying Eadric's men?

Ealhstan takes a seat as close to the window as possible and asks for an ale from the serving girl. He watches the square from his seat and hopes he doesn't look too much like he's listening to the other tables for any scraps of news.

Ealhstan can conveniently take the table between the two groups.

It is hard to hear both groups, so Ealhstan get fragments only. One group is clearly merchants, they seem to be discussing a purchase of French grain, but are not quite sure how to ship it. «We need to find a solution; God knows the city needs it.»

From the other group, who is a little further away, you get only words without context; They are deeply concerned about the goat thieves from East, and mention Wulfric the Witch Hunter and Eadric of Mercia.

Janus stares back at Thom his face hard “I am senior to no other member of the Orders and I have no aptitude for leading others. For me, only duty and war still have meaning and finding sodales missing in battle seems to me to be the best use of my martial abilities. If you have ideas and abilities to lead then do so, you will find no objection from me”

Eadric sips his beer slowly as if he is merely enjoying the view.

Having drunk half his ale Ealhstan stands and approaches the man of the cloth and his companion. "Pardon me, Father," making the sign of the cross, "but I could not help but overhear, for the second time today, this story of goat thieves. Perhaps you, a learned man of god, can illuminate why this is a story on the lips of many? Goat thieves can not be an uncommon menace here where there is hunger. Is there something I am unaware of in the story?"

[EDIT:] Ealhstan sits if invited to, grabbing a chair or stool from his old table if necessary, but at first merely hovers over the table.

The priest turns towards Ealhstand, and says, in an irritated voice.

Did you not hear about the peasants who tried to confront them in the woods. They called down the powers of the Devil, and cursed them to fall unconscious.

The words are brusque and he does not invite anyone to sit.

"Hrm, I was not aware," Ealhstan feigns ignorance of both the Priest's irritation and his information. [Do you want a Guile roll? I'm assuming I'm not getting a sense of Holiness or Unholiness from either of these two, again, if a roll is required, let me know.] "My name is Ealhstan, Father, I have only recently returned to England after a long period of study in Puglia," Ealhstan turns and grabs a stool from his table sitting at the table uninvited, "these islands seem troubled, particularly here in the North. Is there nothing a pious man can do to aid those here in need? Charity is one of the Christian virtues." While speaking Ealhstan is also glances at the priest's companion, noting how he reacts and whether his dress or manner can tell him anything of this less identifiable stranger. [Lemme know if a Folk Ken roll is appropriate here.]

[Guile+Presence 6+ is appropriate, yes]

Ealhstan senses no particular holiness or unholiness; the priest coould any unremarkable canon of the cathedral chapter.

So, Ealhstan of Puglia, where do you keep residence in this country, then?

The priest eyes Ealhstan with disinterested suspicion, and the other man watches in silence.

Thom listens to Janus, eyes studying the magus's hard expression. The younger magus considers for a moment and then nods as he responds.

"We'll make an interesting pair, then master Janus: you, scarred and hard from battle, and me, green and innocent from years hiding from battle."

The handsome blond magus smiles with that hint of mischief ever present in his eyes.

"I'll hope then that you can at least save me from my own curiosity about this vast world beyond the Wall."

If we go to war together I will do my best to keep you alive sodalis. I can’t give you more of a guarantee than that, war is hell and full of blood, you should be prepared for that replies Janus

1 Like