Chapter 2c - Winter 1228 - In Search of a Singer

When the insults or quips start, even playfully it will tend to be Rus.
edit: otherwise they only have 3 in Turkish.

[OOC: Okay. Although I'll warn you that it's not that improbable that people around here might speak some Rus, as well - "magic" probably isn't one of the more commonly used words, though.]

Are you saying anything anything to continue the conversation with Ilgiz?

Bogdan says to Ilgiz, "Let us try to find out what we might do to move on the other singer, or maybe we can convince our masters to accept no Greek. I'm not sure."

Then he'll banter about whatever Ilgiz might wish to as they end their drinks; unless Ilgiz starts something new. Then Bogdan will try to chat to his brother and Theo about what to do next.

Ilgiz's banter is a little forced, but he's showing willing (and not abandoning his free drink). When he heads off, the barmaid follows him through the door (with a glance at the innkeeper as she goes).

Given the lads have a table and drinks in hand, they'll sit for a bit longer, then all go for a walk to discuss further.

Bogdan says to Theo, "These two cannot be the only two bards. Perhaps we need to consider finding others as well? OR Tania might be too small a town to get what the Magus needs."

OOC: Does a Mercer House have services to help find people like this?

[OOC: I'm not convinced the grogs would know much about Mercere Houses, but for the sakes of completeness (and the fact that Theodoric does have an Order of Hermes Lore score higher than many newly gauntletted magi), a Mercere House might be able to find you someone for a price, but there's the problem that you're a bit outside their orbit - they could almost certainly find you a singer who knew Greek, but Kipchak is a lot more questionable.]

Tana is a fairly small town, so it's very plausible there aren't any more singers of any skill in it.

[OOC: Will look up later where larger places of any substance are.]

Theodoric has some knowledge of the Northern Coast of the Black Sea, and based on that thinks Chersonesus in the Crimea is probably the best place to try, if you want to go elsewhere. It's a greek colony which in recent times has relied on the support of first Constantinople then its successor state Trebizond to support itself at a time when much of the rest of the Crimea has been taken over by the Cumans, so it's highly likely that both languages will be found there.

In addition to Chersonesus/Cherson, Jaffa is on the Crimean Peninsula. The coast there is inhabited by Greeks, Alans in the SE, and now Italians, and there are Goths in the mountains. The Kipchaks occupy the central plateau, and so there should be Kipchak speakers in the coastal towns. (Viola might even know of suitable bards in that area, since she takes a particular interest in them, but her knowledge is a few years out of date.) I don't know much about the northeastern coast of the Black Sea, but I don't think there's much more on the Sea of Azov.

Scott

[I think that's Caffa/Kaffa rather than Jaffa? Jaffa seems to be more Jerusalem way.]

So, what are you doing? Staying here and working on the bards you've got? Planning to travel to the Crimea? As a warning the latter is going to be difficult in Winter, especially as the last ship to go that way before the freeze is going to be setting sail ...well...pretty imminently if it hasn't already.

You are correct. :slight_smile:

Scott

[i'd like the brothers to confer with Theo. Assume CH will be afk a while and I'll play him?]

As the three walk outside the inn, leaving the ears of the batman well behind them Theo speaks up, "Well at least we learned the rarity of the Magi's request. We don't have funds to travel port to port and the season will lock us home anyway. Not that you're wrong, possibly the town is far too small for what we need. "

"That said we need to talk to this current bard further. We know nothing apart from the obvious so he's still the best option. "

"Today we will look about the rest of the town confirming the lack of any other options. "

Why don't we get one of the new players to step in?

Scott

[yup happy with that too]

Who exactly is Theo, and what's his personality?

Theodoric was a grog sergeant at the previous covenant, who survived its destruction and then lived in its (somewhat rebuilt) ruins until the new covenant found him there. After some application of Intellego Mentem magic (which he doesn't actually know about), he was appointed a custos, and has served as a generally useful sorce of local knowledge.

Personality wise, he's cautious but with a tendency to be very loyal to something once he puts his mind to it.

His character sheet is here: https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/covenfolk-character-sheets/5242/1 .

I'll give it a go playing him then. What does he know of the current situation?

I'd recommend reading through the thread for the detailed account. In summary, though, Viola sent them to Tana, the "city" (more like a town - but it's not the local village) closest to the covenant to find a singer who knew both Greek and the local Kipchak language (for reasons she didn't explain to them). They've got to Tana to discover one singer who speaks greek but not kipchak, and another who speaks kipchak but not greek. At least one of them doesn't like the other much. They do both speak the language of the Venetians who run the town, but that wasn't on Viola's list at all.

And the sea's going to freeze over any day now. This is perfectly normal.

[ooc: I missed that note of the other bard not speaking kipchak. Hmm.]

After Theo summaries the goals again, Bodgan looks at his two traveling companions and says,

"Well," scratching his head "we just keep looking till we can find passage home then. Let's see straight away about booking a boat back up to the covenant, and then use whatever time we have left to check the other Inns. There is no point being stuck in Tana over a hard winter."

Godzimir replies, "Wintering here would be dull, and we can do nothing at home for free. Docks?"

Bodgan nods, "Docks"

They'll head to the docks and see where they can find passage back up river as they came. Leaving time and day can be flexible, and sooner isn't an issue.

At the docks, you find that the earliest you'll get a boat to sail you back is tomorrow (at least without major inducements) - most of them have been either fishing or ferrying cargo to the departing ship all day. However, you can find someone to take you back tomorrow without major difficulty.

[OOC: make a bargain roll to help determine how much it costs you.]

You've been told previously that there aren't any other full blown inns in the town beside the Doge's Head, although it's possible that someone might have opened up their house to serve some alcohol they've made - give me an appropriate roll if you're searching for such (the odds of it having another professional singer are not good).