Chapter 4: Justice

By the time Heinrich attempts the spell the man has turned and ismoving away making Eye range impossible .
You would need voice or sight range making it level 15 or 20. Also there is likely to be trouble if you cast obvious spells in public meaning you need to use quite voive and subtle gestures - menaing you really need sight your are also in a divine aura 1 in town
making it IN 7+ME 7 +STA 1 -7 voice and gestures -1 aura for a total of 7 +dice roll which will not give you the effect you desire.
(At the distance and with the behavoir of the man Eye contact was always going to be difficult)

What sound like simple intellego spells can be suprisingly difficult to cast

One of the stable hands replies that they belong to the visiting Knights

I guess Alberich won't be too upset if Yannick will be paying a round or two :slight_smile:
He'll behave as "grog" as possible and keep the fancy clothing hidden for now.

Heinrich - at a discreet time - states to those not in the know - whispering - [color=red]Damnation! I sure hope these aren't the Knights of the Sword. Mightn't it get prickly? Ixnay the EX-tra miscellane-ay. [color=blue]Or whatever colorful language suggesting we might soften our group's colorfulness. Tx, Andrew on figuring the spont. Ack, the whole town is divine 1?

Heinrich will spend spare time investigating for lacunae as long as it doesn't hamper the tasks-at-hand.

Know that Heinrich thinks about it , the heraldry on the tack of the warhorse could well be that of the Knights of the Sword

[color=green]Alberich, muttering to himself:
[color=red]Just my luck... Can't one ever enjoy a pint of beer? I had hoped to just enjoy the good life...
Sigh...
Oh, well, I should just hurry up and warn the master, then... Where is master yannick?

Bad news: In 5th Ed, the divine is worse than ever, substracting Aura*3 from magic :frowning: Thus, his total is even lower :frowning:
However, kuddoes for the quick thinking on heinrich's part :smiley:

Alberich knew there was a reason he was your shield grog :smiley:

And, well, he just tells you about the boat.
[color=green]Alberich:
[color=red]I should maybe go and warn your friends, don't you think so?

Heinrich - [color=red] Justus, sodales, I am wondering if the heraldry for the warhorses show them to be the Knights of the Sword! Now that I think of it. :wink:

[color=red]Oh great!
Like we needed these fanatic buffoons...

Krispin's eyes dart left and right, looking for thsoe who might have heard Ardath's comment. He murmurs quietly so only his sodales can hear

[color=red] Indeed, Ardath, but let's keep our opinions to ourselves - politics are on their side and not ours. Mariella, I know you're known here, but I think you and even the normally Gifted magi should keep a low profile. We don't want to give them an excuse to cause trouble. That can only attract attention, and our magic is more or less hamstrung in this aura [color=blue] (I assume, this being a monastery) .

[color=red]Sigh...
You're right.
Lead the way, then.

[color=green]Mariella
Mariella looks with some puzzlement at Krispin,
[color=red]We are guests here as are the knights , as a guest I shall observe the rules of polite behaviour . I expect any visiting Knights will as well, if they do not we shall discuss the matter as equals and I will see they have a proper burial . I back down before no mundane. However this is a house of God and I repsect that and avoid conflict , and it is beneath my dignity to slay mundanes.
I would correct Ardeth from what I have heard the knights of the Sword are a most competent military force although they are merly mundane they have brought much of the baltic coast under christian rule and with the aid of the Danes should soon complete the process.

The magi have been at the guest house for perhaps an hour when a man in his late 30's dressed in the robes of a cisterian monk enters the building . Mariella rises when he enters and walks over to meet him embracing him in a suprising display of passion. She then turns and introduces the man as Odilio her brother and one of the brothers of the abbey she then introduces each of the magi to Odilio giving as much of their hermetic title as she knows and saying that these are her sodale's.

She then turns back to Odilio and the two start to converse in Italian , clearly from the inflection of their voices and the occasional gesture with some passion. The argument is that is what it is is still well underway when a few minutes later another man enters the room he is taller and younger in his late twenties and of muscular build . He has a sword scar on his face and his hands are calloused.
He speaks in halting Latin
[color=red]"Are you the Sorcerors of Hermes who have come to this place of God?

At the Docks
As Alberich and Yannick are confering about the boat Siegfried hurries in and approaches them
[color=red]Yannick you and your folk may be in some trouble, apparently a ship carrying messages for the knights of the Sword from Denmark, some noblemen come to join them on crusade and a Canon to the Bishop of Riga was taken by pirates a few days ago and the story is that the ship was driven ashore by sorcery.

Sigh [color=red]How very extraordinary, is there any good news as well?
Yannick eyes around, and quietly continues
[color=red]To my room then...

When Alberich, Siegfried and himself are alone:
[color=red]Knights of the Sword, huh? The pious folks will rather likely visit the monastery, are they? This means trouble.
I guess I should have a quick look after them. The two of you, take turns watching that ship, see if there's a way to get aboard. See if you get to know anything about those pirates.
Im going to take a birds perspective on this :slight_smile:
See you in an hour?

Yannick waits for a reply, and, if there's nothing more to discuss, assumes his crow shape and starts his reconnaissance mission...
(quick overview of the boat, then the monastery)

[color=green]Alberich, muttering:
And who's gonna bear the brunt of the problems? :unamused: There goes my beer.

[color=green]Alberich: [color=red]No problem, some sailors should come here anyway. Just be careful, master yannick, these guys can be rather sword-happy with your kind.

Very serious-looking:
[color=red]I can assure you, good sir, that I am no sorcerer

[color=blue]OOC: Why, do I look like a man to you guys?

[color=blue]OOC
You think he said sorceror his declination and verb endings are dreadful
[color=red]Then I not talk to you if you just concubine of sorceror
He points at Heinrich
[color=red]Are you one of sorcerors?

Starkly, but not sternly - [color=red]We are in the midst of monastic business. [color=blue]What style of dress does he wear? - I'm presuming non-monastic and more martial? In that case... - warily [color=red]Introduce yourself and your business, sir?, so we may better help you.

[color=blue] if, by chance, monastic or commoner - relaxed - [color=red]We are practitioners of arts and academia.

Heinrich gets ready to let fly with RE/Me Call to Slumber - lvl 10 if interrelations get nasty.

[color=blue]Considering Mariella's brother is here, I imagine we're safe, for now. And with the high deduction from casting total due to divine aura, probably at least -6, probably -9 to -12 from an aura of 2-4...

Krispin takes a moment to make sure a probably rather riled Ardath is calm, then turns to the scarred man.

After Heinrich's statement, Krispin also speaks to the scarred man.
[color=red] "Be easy, friend. Clearly you know of us, but I assure you we are not here to cause trouble - we keep to ourselves. As my friend said, please tell us what you require."

[color=blue] Is the man armed?

For the moment Justus stays at the background and looks at the bird in the window. He tries to comprehend its magic (that is if there is any). Should he detect Hermetic magic he stop his investigation at once.