Chapter 4: Justice

[color=blue]The newly arrived man is dressed as monk but carries a sword which is typical of one of the Warrior orders. His Monks clothes are of very fine quality
Looking at Krispin
he continues in his atrocious Latin
[color=red]You are the Sorcerors. We are attacked by Sorcerers your help we command.

Mariella and Her Brother have broken of their discussion by this point , Odilios is moving towards the knight. While Mariella is closely watching Ardeth.

The Bird is Magical

[color=blue]OOC I need to check my books before I can confirm what Justus learns

Yannick takes the form of a Crow and flies out of the window, From his limited knowledge fo Boats it looks like this one is being provisioned for a sea journey . It also seems to have a lot of Oars compared to most ships in the harbour as well as being narrower. Several of the crew on or near the ship seem to be wearng mail armour.

Yannick then turns and flies towards the Monastery

[color=blue]Aaaargh!!! The insult!!! :laughing:
Shocked, ardath stands still for a moment.
[color=red]Excuse me, kind sir, but do I really look like a concubine to you? I'm hurt, you know?

[color=blue]Tip to the young muscular moron: Notice the 2 blue faerie eyes :laughing:

To the newly-entered monk - [color=red]Attack? Tell us more about it? Now? When? Where? What order are you from and - to Odilio - [color=red]to be sure are we talking about this monastery or guests from another?

[color=blue]ooc - What bird? Yannick?

&

[
[color=blue] What is the current status of Denmark - Isle of Rugen/Crintera and the Order of Odin? Anything different than what we would get from Guardians of the Forest or lore rolls? Looking back at the book, I'm amazed at how complicated the boundaries of mundane and hermetic politics are.

[color=blue]
Heinrich can continue to not now about the bird as his perception roll was poor.

The Situation is as decribed in the Guardians of the forest which matches my reading of history.
At this time Denmark and the Knights of the Sword are rivals in conquering the current baltic states and the current situation is very fluid changing on a yearly basis . I get much of my information from the old 4th ed Novograd sourebook and some books on the Northern Crusades.

The Order of Odin is a group of Norse wizards who raided frequently a while ago but there have been few confirmed clashes with them in the last century . However the order has still had difficulty expaning into scandanavia

However If Max wants to change history thats fine with me

[color=blue]I've not looked at GotF since we began this, in case max wanted to use it.

So far, I've succeeded in forgetting it :wink:

Justus can tell the bird is magical but it has sufficient magic resistance to block his attempts to probe further. It does look at him as he probes it and can only be described as looking smug

Seeing that Heinrich is speaking to the scarred man and appears to have the situation well in hand, Krispin lets Heinrich take over and breaks off from the conversation. Once he's certain that the attention of the non-magi is on Heinrich, Mariella and Ardath, he turns to the white dove. He notices Justus' examination and meets his eyes.

Krispin moves to the window, turns to the dove and lowers his head in a subtle bow to the bird (which would certainly a little strange to those watching him closely), then raises one eyebrow at it questioningly.

The knight seems to be ignoring Ardeth, pointedly
[color=red]I am Knight of Sword , our ships attacked by sorcery , we must travel on Business of God . You will help.

Odilio comes over and speaking in German address the Knight firmly
[color=red]I asked you to remain outiside until I had time to explain your problem to these people. Now if you will escuse me I will try to explain more clearly than you have been able to, your chaplain should really have instructed you in Latin better. If you wouldn;t mind going back to the Chapel I will try and sort things out on your behalf.

Odilio turns back to the magi and explains in latin
[color=red]Yes this fellow a Swordbrother called Wofgang has a problem, his order is expecting an important communication from the King od Denmark it seems that the ship carrying that message was wrecked by pirates and some of the crew who escaped reported that the storm was unnatural and sorcerous so he has decided he must hae protection from this attack. I was going to write to Mariella when you arrived here , he is most anxious as his duty requires that he travel to Denmark to secure another set of these messages and he does not want to fail , he is willing to pay in silver. However I told him that you would need to rest and think about things before agreeing. Is there anything we can get you to make your stay more comfortable or any questions I can answer.

The Knight turns to leave , and it appears the bird is preparing to follow him.
Mariella seems to be glaring at her brother now the knight is no longer distracting her

Before the Knight leaves:

[color=green][German]
[color=red] Tell me, sir knight... have you secured a ship yet for your journey? And if so, tell me, does it bear any symbol on the bow? Krispin looks intently at the knight, clearly heedless of how strange and inane his question must seem to the man.

After the knight leaves. [color=red]I'm very curious about the sorcery behind it but for all we know it is a sodale. Crintera lies between - and alongside - the journey between Kolberg and Denmark. Mayhaps aide and information and even a quaesitor might be tools - or hindrances. I am interested in no wyrm at the end of this path and my interest is in protecting those innocents and young we can ably protect. Throw on top of all of this seasoned, dry pyre logs that all of these parties intermingling ignite and we can pulled into quite the conflagration. This could - just could- be a scenario of untidy proportions, no?

The Knight
[color=red]We have one of the warships of our order at the docks , it is called the Kraken I believe
His German is much better than his Latin

Wolfgang

[color=green]Mariella

[color=red]It will be difficult to turn down a request for help from the Knights of the Sword , for if we do we will make enemies of them. As they have a large military force and are sworn to eliminate pagans and witches from these lands , it would be seem wise to avoid giving them reason to declare us as such.
By heping them we risk being accused of intefering in mundane affairs although this will be less of a risk as they seem to be under magical attack. However we do not want to cross the magi of Crintera their covenant is much more powerful than us.
However whatever we decide to do I will not be able to accompany you on a long voyage in the near future.

She pauses and glares at her brother
[color=red]It seems that my brother here will not heed warnings. He has been asked to negotate with the pirates who hold the hostages from the wrecked ship and he feels his duty to others overrides his duty to not get killed . I will be staying with him to ensure his safety. This is a problem for me as my honor compels me to protect you if you travel and to protect my brother

She continues to glare at pretty much everyone

As the knight leaves , so does the dove .

Almost immediatly after the Dove leaves a Crow flies in through the window which is recgnisable as Yannick

At the Docks

Alberich and Siegfried are indeed able to locate some of the crew of the ship , it is the Kraken a warship of the Knights of the Sword , the mariners are not members of the order but the Captain is , and the ship normally carries half a dozen sword brothers and more sergeants as marines.
They seem most concerned about he coming journey they have heard that a previous ship on the joureny was wrecked by witchcraft and are divided wether , God will protect them or not as they so his business . They have also heard that the knights plan to hire wizards and that worries them as much as the storms, wizards bring bad luck

[color=green]Heinrich

[color=red]Hmmmm, I wonder how many pawns of vis we can get from them. He grins. [color=red] Seriously though our primary concern is for Odilio and, perhaps, this young babe. But Krispin's general description of terrain around the threatened young one could be the northern lands. The red moonlight implies a lunar eclipse. Anyone recall when the next one is due?

I'm inclined to travel where the path leads us.

[color=blue]Spont MuAn to gain speech. I really need to invent a spell to do this...
[color=red]There's a ship with a kraken at the docks. Seems to carry knights of the sword. Have you already met? Any trouble yet?

[color=red]Aye, we were just approached by a Knight o' the Sword who's here at the monastery. He's trying to impress into service to do th' lord's work of bodyguarding messengers between the Danes and the Swords. Apparently, this first failed attempt failed due to an eldritch storm and pirates. We're asked along to protect them against magical assaults. But Odilio here, Mariella's brother, and Mariella would stay - in Kolberg - to negotiate regarding hostages.