Chapter 4: Justice

[color=red]Nor will I, for I am, after all, nothing but a humble concubine
[color=red]Anyway, if this storm came from HoH magic, I don't really know what we can do about it.

To Mariella:
[color=red]Your brother's mission seems to be a noble one, and I respect his courage and determination. You should not feel guilty to protect him on this endeavour, nor should you feel responsible for your sodales choices.

Alberich tries to sympathize somewhat with the mariners. After all, such a story must attract legitimate curiosity and wonder, as well a a desire to tell about it from the mariners.
He'll use this both to learn more about what happened and to make connections in case his master decides to jump onboard: Maybe he can be hired by the templars, acting as an hidden asset on yannick's behalf.

:question:

[color=blue]ooc - just curious, Templars. Are Knights of the Sword completely mythic or historical, too? An offshoot of the Knights of the Templar? I'll have to study my Sub Rosa zine if so. :wink:

Oups! I meant knights, of course :blush:

The knights of the Sword are a minor order of crusaders in the North , unrelated to the three larger militant orders (Templars, Hospitallers, Teutonic Knights) however in the late 1220's they are absorbed by the Teutonic Knights following a major disaster and disputes with the pope.

There are quite a few of these minor orders, there was at least one spanish order, an English Order , and order for Knights with leprosy and I am sure some others

Krispin nervously picks an invisible speck of dust from his robe. [color=red] "Normally I would be loathe to involve myself, but for the life of an innocent involved I will try my hardest. Even beyond that, I have seen it in a vision, and it will come to pass. I, at least, will board the Kraken. I mislike Wolfgang’s manners, but I will go. We will see how far I let it take me."

"Those of you in the vision must, I suspect, go as well. Justus, I saw you in a northern forest with snow on the ground, speaking to this magus Justice. I have a feeling you must go too – Justus and Justice are destined to meet. There must be some reason we are all involved. Ardath, your combat ability and better knowledge of the area would serve us, though if you do not wish to go I understand."

"We can all contribute, but I think we must divide our forces. We need magi to negotiate with pirates, and magi to be home to receive Constantia and defend the covenant. I leave the choice to my sodales, but I at least will go. My ability to protect their ship from magical storms is likely not great, but I may do as well as most. None of us are particularly specialized in Auram or Aquam, after all."

[color=red]As I recall, the next one is due in about five and a half weeks [color=blue](estimating for lost travel time and time spent here in Kolberg. It was six weeks from the time of the vision.) [color=red] Clearly, we’re on a schedule.

[color=green]Odilia

The priest interrupts
[color=red]I need to help in helping the poor souls in the hands of the pirates , you will all be free to return home or accompany the knights. I apologise for Sir Wofgangs manners he is not used to dealing with things magical and many of you are most disconcerting to deal with . Even for me sometimes I find myslelf off put by your Gifts. Even after years of dealing with young Ella here. Furthermore he is not used to facing sorcery and it scares him and when he is afraid he cannot admit it and takes it out on others. He is also little used to women particularly ones who answer back . Maga Ardeth I apologise on his behalf

[color=green]Mariella
She has turned an interesting shade of red during her brothers speech. She sounds both angry and concerned,

[color=red]I have told you brother, I believe you face danger and while you may not believe in the use of force and would rather not have it used on your behalf. I will not allow you to go into danger without help so get used to it

[color=red]I am ready to go north, although I must say I want to be back to monitor the covenant and prepare a proper reception [color=blue](i.e. a Jerbiton's etiquette exercise) [color=red] for our Novgorodian sodale. But I'd also hate to miss out on being informed on mundane border - and more Hermetic? - politics.

Oh, well, does this means you like me too? :smiling_imp:
Between Heinrich and you, this is gonna be interesting :wink:

Sigh... Anyway, your arguments are sound, and, in reflexion, you may also need my language skills :confused:
This doesn't please me at all. However, we may be able to use Mr Holy Muscles and his friends to our advantage here, especially if we manage to obtain much needed money from them. Problem will be, of course, how do we manage to avoid potential accusations of interference with the mundanes? Moreso, what do we do the next time they come knocking?

However, I don't like leaving mariella alone here, especially with the threat over our covenant... :confused:

[color=red]I feel the same about Mariella albeit she is the most able of us in a tussle. But mayhaps we can be quick about our business and hustle on back to Kolberg ... if this is indeed a vision in sequential order and concrete in interpretation.

Interference with mundania? I say we book passage as if we had business up north anyway - just not guild business, eh? And in exchange for passage we'll stay on the look out for magical assault which we would surely need to interpret and - quite possibly - defend ourselves anyway. Any quaesitor would be mollified by our passive and reluctant involvement, no? Heinrich winks.

[color=green]Mariella
[color=red]There is little the others can do to aid me if it comes to battle anyway. I can handle any problems here and My brother is as skilled a diplomat as any we have

[color=red]And there we have it, Mariella stays and the rest of us are off. Which of us are - amongst those of us who are gently gifted, I presume - are best able to treat with the Swords? [color=blue] Communication? Etiquette? Folk Ken? Charm? if needed to warm relations?

(I’d point out Yannick hasn’t commented yet on where or whether he’s going, so it’s not quite settled.)

[color=red] :wink: A lady such as yourself has no need to fish for complements, I think. Besides, young Ella here might feel left out :wink: (ducks)

[color=red] That’ll do. Aside from old Barty, I’ve found most quaestiors rarely venture too far into tribunal edges. I think we’re reasonably safe if we keep a low profile.

[color=red] I think any of us Gently Gifted magi would do. I don’t see why we have to segregate it. They wanted us, they can deal with us. [color=blue](mechanically, I think we’re currently about equal in Com, Folk Ken, Charm, Etiquette. Yannick probably wins out slightly overall with Guile, Carouse, etc.)

[color=red] I’d also rather leave at least one magus with Mariella – not all problems can be solved with violence, and a little magic goes a long way. Nonetheless, if you’re all coming, so be it; I trust your instincts.

[color=red]Oh, my, but you are a gentleman!
Thanks for the compliment nonetheless :wink:

[color=blue]Who's to say someone is feeling catty today? Hell, this is an excellent training of guile, charm and other useful social skills^^

Mariella seems to be practicing her glare on Krispin.

:blush: Oops, good lookin' out!

[color=green]Heinrich

[color=black]to Krispin minorly squabbling [color=red]Segregation, indeed! Just because we seem equally green behind the ears doesn't mean we are all stylistically. As I mean to put my money where my mouth is, I volunteer to do what a Jerbiton is suited to do. :wink:

Krispin sniffs and raises one eyebrow, clearly a little nettled. [color=red]“Since Jerbiton are suited to talk and talk and accomplish little, it’s perhaps for the best. Leave the work to those of us who’re interested.”

muted and not forceful [color=red]Hmmph! Work?! trailing off [color=red]Working amongst... something that sounds like 'the ledge, knowledge,' [color=blue]but that couldn't be.

To Odilio - [color=red]What is new among the Cistercians and Kolberg? [color=blue]ooc - Heinrich looks over Odilio's shoulder and in corners for lacunae :wink:

[color=green]Odilio

Odilio makes conversation about the monastery it is fairly new and it is only just self sufficient and they have not yet recruited enougth local lay brothers or Brothers . He himeself works more in the scriptorium

[color=blue]There are not any Lacunae in the Guest house but you ahv enot had a good opertunity to try the rest of the monastery

[color=green]Mariella
While Odilio is distracted Mariella walks up to Krispin and whispers to him
[color=red]There is one person on this earth who can call me Ella and not regret it . You are not him. I like you so you get a warning , next time I peel you like a grape and salt the wounds
She smiles a thin smile.

Justus looks at his fellow magi. [color=red]Now please do not start any more fights. We need to get on that ship and prevent a vision from unfolding. I am ready to go or are there any thing that hinder us? By the way did anyone of you else notice the magical dove that watched us when we where talking to the swordsman? I failed to get something other than that is where magical from it.

[color=blue]OOC: I am still moving but I managed to steal some time away from packing boxes.