Chapter 4: Preparing for Autumn 1013

Ealhstan looks to heaven, does the sign of the cross, and begins a nearly silent prayer for patience when Betula steps up to Thomas and puts a hand on his arm and gives him a gentle look, "To you and I this is a tool, a connection far more solid than it is for her but to her this is a symbol of her love for him, a connection of another sort that makes her feel close to her love, who she fears may be dead, to the father of her child," Betula's other hand creeps to her stomach and a flicker of sadness flits across her face, "it is not a tool in the shed to be demanded by those who protect her, whatever the reason. I think she can likely be convinced," looking questioningly at Ealhstan and he nods, "if we explain to her that in bringing him back alive this would be a great aid. I will go speak to the girl with you in the morning, Ealhstan, though I am not going on North."

2 Likes

Thadeus nods at Betula's words. He is still unsure whether he will be joining the rescue mission or the site investigation teams.

"Thom, we are the holders of power within our Covenants and the covenfolk are those who serve us. They owe us service and we owe them protection and support. It is always easy for us to dominate the common folk but we must use our power and authority with care. Great power can lead to great arrogance and onwards to great cruelty to those weaker than ourselves. I say, enter conflict with care as each conflict started should be pursued with all your power. That is appropriate for the denounced Diedne, but not really for a washer woman offering use of her cherished token to help her missing loved one." states Janus

2 Likes

Clearly Turold missed some concepts there, but he figures some things are best learned by experience. He will go for a walk and try to make his elders understand that he wishes to be contacted.

Turning from Ealhstan, "So, are we going in two groups or three? I imagine, if you find those that are missing, that at least some of them will need to return here as soon as possible, the wounded and whatnot so it seems three groups might be best. One to search for the missing, led by Janus, one to look high and low in the Pennines at a multitude of sites, and one to travel clear across the island to seek out these Farne Islands and look into The Gate. I plan to head to the Pennines, I hope Turold will join me."

Thadeus nods, having reached a decision, "I could be useful in either group, I think. But my main purpose in coming back to England was to support the Order against the Diedne. The magi of Ungulus have disappeared while on an expedition against them, so I shall join the group seeking to rescue them."

"I think more than two groups is impractical. That may mean we need to cover more ground, but at least we have safety in numbers but also more hands with skills to unlock secrets. So - did we have or know anyone who had knowledge of mercurian rites?"

“It is a shame magus Luciu passed away as he was a Mercurian” replies Janus

Thom usual cheerful expression dims at the mention of Luciu, memories of the accepting magus and the journey to Ungulus still fresh in the young magus's mind. After a few moments, Thom looks around the gathering.

"I said earlier that I would join Master Janus in his mission to head north, but I am now wondering if it might be wiser for me to join the team investigating these places we've identified to see if they will work to establish a new covenant."

He holds up a hand.

"I'm not sure the mundanes are very comfortable with me around."

"Good to know. Let me see with him... he may have knowledge of the prayer we're looking for to unlock those Roman baths." Cath'rinne will go contact Luciu again, to see whether he might know this Mercurian rite about a prayer for protection and hospitality.

I suppose Cath'rinne can wake up the ghost with little challenge.

You again? What is it now?

Cath'rinne presents her problem, and Luciu answers,

A prayer to Mercury? Sorry, I have never needed one; it is not exactly worship that we have developed as arts. There are only a few senior magi left who have studied the ancient Mercurian Cult to any extent, and I don't know where they have gone with the War and all.

"I am willing to go wherever you feel my talents are best places. As a gently Gifted individual, I can go where needed, but I am not the strongest in combat. I am confident exploring for new sites will be worthwhile." Nauvi ponders a minute.
"I do not know what they speak in Galloway, so I fear I may be of limited assistance on the rescue mission."

She returns to the group "No luck with asking Luciu, unfortunately."

Cath'rinne exchanges a few words with Betula.

"This is what I'm going to suggest." with a map in hand (in the interest of time :slight_smile:)

Rescue Party
Janus ex Flambeau
Cath'rinne ex Bjornaer
Thadeus Ex Miscellanea
proposed Nauvi ex Tytalus
proposed Adrien ex Bonisagus
Hamish MacDuff
Ealhstan
proposed Telsa & Sasso
proposed Odard the Singleton
proposed Jack the Giant

Main Objective: Find & Rescue missing expedition, redcap
Secondary Objective: Locate any battlefield between the expedition and the Diedne and find out status of Wicker Hill
Exploration Objective: Carpathian Gate
Meets with Other Party at: Mythic Salmon Peninsula before going to Farne Islands together

Exploration Party
Betula ex Criamon
Thomas Myddleton ex Merinita
Turold
proposed Edwin
proposed Finn
proposed Iago the Welsh
Main objectives: Pennines areas. 2 possible druid groves, Cassandra ex Criamon side story, hilltop magic aura
Secondary Objectives: Bog Boar Cave Regio. Maybe Blackpool (When talking about Blackpool, she shares "I suppose you'll look for a regio. One area I couldn't look was the bottom of the Lake. I don't know there's a regio, but I'm not ruling it out, but bear in mind that ghosts are rumored to come out of the Lake at the Full Moon so if you want a swim, be careful, sister.")
Meets with Other Party at: Mythic Salmon Peninsula before going to Farne Islands together

"Does anyone feel strongly about changing group or changing the objectives of each trip?"

Betula nods in assent to the plan.

"Sounds like a plan."

Thom listens as Cath'rinne outlines the effort and the two groups.

"That sounds more like a war party than a scouting and rescue mission. Five magi. I guess you are heading into a war, though."

The blond magus smiles as he looks over at Betula and smiles. "When does our little band of misfits leave?" He chuckles softly, his smile broadening whimsically.

Turold hears the familiar voice of Malhad in his head.

Turold! You want come home again?

“The proposed split of parties seems good to me “ replies Janus

"Hello Malhad. How's the tribe? I'm trying to locate a site north of our lands, linked to a druid grove called Midsummer Copse or Midwinter Copse. Or my cousin Ingerith who might know of some a thing, if our tribe doesn't. Would you know more by any chance?"

Before leaving, Cath'rinne will ask Caelha if her or the magi who left north were trained in Mercurian ways and rites?