Chapter 4: Preparing for Autumn 1013

Betula says, "if it is settled then perhaps we should get some food and some sleep. Enjoy the hospitality for a moment."

In the Morning Ealhstan takes Betula to Elissa in her cottage. Ealhstan approaches while Betula stays out of sight through the door and "Elissa?" Ealhstan says from the door. "One of the recently arrived Magae wishes to speak with you, she would like to share her protection that you will not feel the ill air the magi engender, would you allow it?"

Before the magi scatter to their individual peparations, Thadeus raises his hand and asks, "What kind of logistics are we planning for the trip north? Supplies? Or can we expect to obtain them on the way? May seem obvious to you, but I'm just returned to the island."

«I don't think so,» she says.

«Ingerith's tribe is heading North from the Peak district these days. Winter camp by the Temple I think. You know the Healey site?» The Druid's Temple is a well known site in the Yorkshire Dale. It has been a long time since Turold was last there. Healey is a mile North of the Temple, and Turold should not have trouble finding it. Making sure that he does not attract attention to the camp.

Elissa stutters reluctantly, but she accepts, full of doubt.

"I know the site, yes. I'll be careful who I bring there. Thanks Malhad."

Turold will let Betula know he knows where to go to meet his cousin.

OOC: Edited one of the two Pennines Groves to be Druid's Temple and the journey accordingly.

Noticing her doubt, Betyla looks to Ealhstan and reaches for him as if in beginning of the ritual to share Parma, he nods, and she continues.

When she is done he says, "it is perfectly safe, a kindness, actually."

Then Betula turns to Elissa, releases the Parma from Ealhstan, and begins the rite on the girl. When she is done she begins by handing the braid to Elissa, "I do not wish to make Ealhstan a liar or an oathbreaker, he seems a good man and does not deserve that. I understand having little to remember the missing father of your child," her hands shift to her belly and Ealhstan's eyebrow raises but he says nothing, "Ruedi and I never exchanged... well, nothing tangible and I regret it, deeply... with it I may have been able to find him again, rescue him where he was trapped. I say this to you, we know the father of your child, your love, is alive and where he is now. We can give you no guarantees about whether he is safe. Ealhstan is going with the group to find your love and the rest. Their chances of success greatly improve if they bring that braid with them. Ealhstan is a good and honest man and he did a great kindness in bringing this to us, a kindness for you and us, would you allow him to bring it with that they might use it to search for your love?"

Before she can respond, Ealhstan says, "I would pledge to safe keep it and make sure that everything in my power will be done to return it to you."

1 Like

This should call for a charm or bargain + com from Betula and Charm + Presence from Ealhstan. Both have to succeed at 6+. (EDIT) Rolls succeeded with confidence.

Elissa weeps but agrees that the chance to find the child's father is more important than the keepsake, so she agrees to send it away with Ealhstan.

Betula awkwardly hugs her as she cries, "There, there dear." Her own eyes tearing up, perhaps holding the hug a bit longer than appropriate, and they take their leave.

When out of earshot Betula wipes her eyes and says, "May you have luck in finding him, for her sake... and The Order's."

Before leaving the Tower, Cath'rinne will offer the Excellent +1 Longsword to Hamish. "You've served well - Use this to protect us. Do you see any value in these excellent round shields we found, or do you prefer your existing one?"

Hamis takes the sword with a bow.

"I'm honored, Lady Cath'rinne. It's a keen blade for sure. Yes, I'll take a shield too. The one I've been using is a good friend and true, but he's a bit tired and could use a rest. One of the new ones would be a gift for sure. Probably want to give one of those shields to Jack over there." He gestures toward the tallish grog.

nods "Smart idea." She'll approach Jack the Giant to offer him one of the Excellent +1 Round Shields. "Would you like this to protect my sodales?" she says, hoping he understands Latin.

OOC: Update your characters, I'm updating the equipment with the spare mundane gear.

Jack replies in reasonably good Latin. "Thank ya, M'am. I'll be doin' my best to keep you'uns safe."

He hefts the shield, takes a tentative bashing swing at the air, and then smiles.

If our scribe is copying spell lab texts Janus will request that Circling Winds of Protection is included in the list copied.

Any other lab text request? If I hear silence, I'll put in a full list of what I think is most useful to add to our library.

Betula is strangely interested in the anti-faerie spells (both versions of FEO and the Ward)

1 Like

Leap of Homecoming is always useful but nothing beyond that for Janus

1 Like

These would be of interest to Thadeus:

1 Like

Check

Aegis duplicate in Dowry. Do we really need levels 20, 25, and 30?

1 Like

FEO and DEO 5? Or do anyone anticipates specializing enough that a high level version with a good penetration is likely?

Thom would be interested in:

Pilum of Fire
Circular Wards (Beast, Faeries, Demons in that order of preference)
Circling Winds of Protection

1 Like