Chapter 5: Kaub Island

You leave the forest (you feel watched most of the time) and get back to the Rhine. The most common way to travel to Kaub would be a boat passage upriver.

Edit: Changed the post title.

Just off the road leading from the village of Ems to Lahenstein is a small makeshift camp.
Arturous is there, sitting on a fallen tree branch while tending a small fire.

As he spots the party approaching, he swiftly stands up to greet them.
"It is good to see you all once more"

"I tried catching up with you after losing you at Trier, but I am no tracker, and couldn't find my way through the Westerwald. Figured I would wait for you here, but almost lost hope of meeting you. In fact, I was all set up to leave for the old site of Rehinstein with one of the local fisherman from Lahenstein tomorrow morning"

Once everyone has joined he turns to Honorus and Hildegard:
"So tell me, how was your journey? Have you found the remains of Oakdell?"

Honorus looks very tired and you do not see his Owl anywhere nearby.

"We found more than we would like at Oakdell. Infernalist from the old covenant were still on the site and attacked us. We were equal to the task. It looks like a good site but we should look at Kaub Island before we make our decision."

He sits down heavily, leans back into a tree and closes his eyes while the grogs set up the camp.

Hildegard:

"You got us one of those medium sized river fishing boats? It'll be cramped, but I am glad we got it already. No debates with people who look at us as if we were possessed or something."

It will also be better for Rabanus. He is still on his travois. Boat travel will be good for his healing."

ooc:
Rabanus is still at -5 to all activities (and limited to walking at half speed, no running) and looks pale as Death herself; he also has spoken little on the way back, but he is conscious; and if his player is still with us - he is welcome to play him again (there will be vis at the next covenant - chapter 6 - maybe earlier). In the meantime, I'll assume he only says something if it's vital - he's the one who SEES after all.

edit:
ooc: Those participating in chapter 4 (Waldstein), add 5xp. I trust you to use them plausibly - for skills/etc you used or could have used.

"Infernalists" Arurous murmurs, somewhat disturbed.

He then stays silent for the most part while the grogs set up the camp.

"Ludo is alright. He is quite old and all on his own now. He is more than willing to tolerate some strangeness if the silver is good. We can meet up with him earlier tomorrow morning, perhaps he knows a little of Kaub island"

Arturous exchanges a few pleasantries with the grogs before turning to Carolinus
"I have not met you before. Care to present yourself?"

Carolinus limps into the small camp a few minutes after everyone else, leaning heavily on his staff. He sits on a stump and sighs as he massages his leg.
"Salve, sodalis," he nods to Arturus. "I am Carolinus of Jerbiton, and relieved to hear the rumor of a boat." He grins, "Hopefully, it's more seaworthy than the raft I created on the way to Waldstein!"

"Arturous of Tytalus. It is good that you joined us; the road has proven to be dangerous so far. I wonder what waits us at Kaub Island, as it appears that all the old covenants sites are still dangerous after all these years. I suggest we get some sleep – we will need our strength tomorrow"

[size=85]ooc: lets move on! :smiley: [/size]

Hildegard says: "So this is settled. Let's get a good night's sleep and then move upriver.

The grogs seem to be unhappy about that, but probably they are just afraid of water you think.
Then suddenly Arturous feels a memory half-surfacing in his mind:
He murmurs to himself: "Wasn't there something about this stretch of the Rhine valley?"
Unisono, and very relieved, Diederik and Albirich cry: "The Loreley! We are passing straight to her realm and she sometimes attacks boats!"

Hildegard says: "We could still go. We are magi after all, And it might be a good idea to have a look at her before we found a covenant. But we can also take the land route - not as comfortable and two days longer, but what are two days to a band of peregrinatores. I vote for seeing this Loreley!

occ: Always good to have Area Lore. The grogs don't know exatly where the Loreley is or how she attacks (because there are few survivors). I didn't want to leave her out of things - after all, the Loreley is one of Germany's best-known myths.

"We will have to deal with her sooner or later. I say we go by the river. Besides, either carrying the boat by land or finding a new one upstream will slow us down considerably. Let's face this Lorelei"

This conversation perks Honorus up.

"I vote for the land route. "

Carolinus sighs at Honorus' suggestion. "We've already spent many days walking. A river trip would make a welcome change, and like Hildegaard, I would like to see this Loreley."

ooc: Carolinus has Area (Rhine Gorge) Lore due to his travels in the area.
roll: 9 + 1 (area lore) + 2 Int = 12
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2747191/

Hildegard says: "Sounds like we're taking the short route".

When the boat is loaded the next day a grumpy, greedy old fisherman (and his strong young son)take turns rowning the boat upriver against the current (They also have a sail to assist them). After some time, the valley becomes less and less wide as rock rises on both sides
see picture
After some time, villages dwindle into single huts, then all signs of human habiation cease for a mile or so.
The scenery is sublime: There are jagged rocks in the water and once you hear a grinding sound from under the boat, but the boat doesn't start leaking.
Then, you all hear a woman sing somewhere on the side of the river so you can all relax a little - after all, if there are still singing women around, there can't be monsters, can there?

A quick vote is taken (the Criamon - who is asleep - abstains; all but Arturous and Hildgard insist on seeing her and they are curious, too) and you decide to visit the beautiful chanteuse. As you land the boat, there is another grinding sound, and water starts filling the bottom. But it doesn't rise any higher than two inches, since the boat has run aground and can't sink (not the first, there is evidence of some other wreckage). So you don't worry much (except Arturous).

The woman whose voice you've been hearing seems to be sitting at the top of the cliff - that is 400 feet above you. How do you get up there (Arturous may choose to stay at the boat/do sth else if he wishes)?

ooc: I already rolled Area Lore for all the characters that have it (and the grogs are good at it). That is why I warned you. You know there is a dangerous monster ahead that attacks ships and boats.

OOC: Arturous will step out of the boat and inspect the cliff. Is there a way to climb it safely? (say, while leaving a least one hand free?). If not, he will call to the woman and ask her to come down and talk with the party.

"Aahh. A kindred spirit," thinks Carolinus, when he first hears the music. Climbing out of the grounded boat is a bit of a struggle, but he is certain he wants to meet this inspiring musician. It would also be a shame if the world were to lose this great talent to the monster that lurks somewhere in the area.

ooc: If the song is one he knows or can sing with, either with the melody or in harmony, he will sing.

Carolinus recognizes the Melodie. It is "Mariechen saß weinend im Garten"(link includes lyrics + melody). Here 's a translation:

1. Mariechen sat weeping in the garden
    In the grass was dormant her child
    In her blond curly hair
    Playing softly the evening breeze
    She sat so still and dreaming
    So lonely and so pale
    Dark clouds rolled past
    And waves were on the pond.
    She sat so still and dreaming
    So lonely and so pale
    Dark clouds rolled past
    And waves were on the pond.

2. The vulture rises over the mountains
    The seagull proudly glides
    There is a wind blowing from afar
    the drops begin to fall heavily
    Heavily from Mariechen cheeks
    A hot tear runs
    And sobbing in the arms
    She holds her slumbering child.
    Heavy with Mariechen cheeks
    A hot tear runs
    And sobbing in the arms
    She holds her slumbering child.

3. Here you lie so quietly
    Poor abandoned worm
    You are not dreaming yet of concern
    You have not been frightened by the storm.
    Your father has left us
    You and your mother
    Therefore we are poor orphans
    in this world alone.
    Your father has left us
    You and your mother
    Therefore we are poor orphans
    in this world alone.

4. Your father lives in peace
    God favored him well
    He does not think of us both
    Will not see me and you
    Therefore we want together
    Plunge into the lake
    There we are then protected
    From grief and sorrow, my dear.
    Therefore we want together
    Plunge into the lake
    There we are then protected
    From grief and sorrow, my dear.

5. Then the child opens his eyes
    Looks kindly at her and laughs
    The mother wept with joy
    And pressed him to her heart
    No, no we want to live
    We, both you and me
    Your father shall be forgiven
    You make me so happy.
    No, no we want to live
    We, both you and me
    Your father shall be forgiven
    You make me so happy.

6. So Mariechen was sitting on the beach
    In many a long dark night
    Until from a distant land
    A sailor brought the message:
    The child on your lap
    does have no father no more
    Now lies the brave sailor
    In the vast deep sea.
    The child on your lap
    does have no father no more
    Now lies the brave sailor
    In the vast deep sea.

Arturous realizes that scaling the cliff face (solid rock, not crumbly) definitely recquires both hands and that inexperienced climbers might fall to their death. The woman does not react to his call.

The sailors, and the grogs are about to scale the cliff nervertheless.

ooc: some of us voted for the land route. :confused:

Honorus will find a rock large enough to carry him ( and others if you wish) and spont a modified Stone Palanquin spell. (base 3 Touch+1 enhanced effects +1 concentration +1) and fly it up the cliff
1d10+23=30

"climb on if you can."

Arturous joins Honrous on the rock; he wouldn't miss the opportunity to face the sorcerers. If the grogs still attempt to scale the cliff, he will first spont a modified call to slumber on the entire group.

[size=85]OOC: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2748986/ (using exaggerated movements and booming voice)
Roll 31/2 = 15, enough to affect all of them. (Base 10, +1 magnitude for group)[/size]

Carolinus stands for a moment, enjoying the music and singing along. As the verse ends, he casts a spell and begins to rise to meet the singer.

[size=85]OOC: casting a R: Personal version of Rise of the Feathery Body, ReCo Lvl 5 (Base +4, +1 conc)
Roll: 7 + 6 Re + 3 Co + 1 Sta /2 = 8
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2749610/ [/size]

Edit: Missed gozer's post.

Hildegard follows the othres with a series of wizard's leaps upward.

The first of you arrive at the top just at the end of the song to see an incredibly beautiful maiden lying (like a Roman for dinner) on a stone, combing her golden hair, which is worn openly, and barely covers her breasts, with a golden comb.
Her ruby lips form a surprised - o - she obviously didn't expect anyone to actually get up the cliff. Then she lowers one hand to cover the golden vlies between her long legs and bashes her eyelids at you.
"Your singing was rather pleasing. You don't seem to be ordinary people - you are wizard's, arent't you? And yet you travel as mundanely as any peanant or fisherman, with one of those little wooden boats. You are a rare kind of entertainment for a lonely maiden like me. So speak, or dance!"

ooc: I do not want to give an order of arrival because posting an a specified order will take too long to figure out who has got a headstart of how many rounds. As soon as you post something I assume you have arrived.