Chapter 5: Kaub Island

Carolinus takes a deep breath at the phrase "prodigal son", but maintains an outward calm. "I am sorry for your trouble, sir. It may be that we can help each other. You have identified us truly, and we are interested in the island and what it might contain. We may also be able to help you and Manfred. What else can you tell us about him?" Carolinus pushes for additional details about Manfred's age, his friends, and what he and Katzenellenbogen disagreed about. He also wonders if the Count has a floor plan of Pfalzgrafenisland Castle, and more details about the garrison and its armaments?

Manfred, it turns out, is 22 (his father looks around 40-45ish).
There is no floor plan, but he can have someone give you a good
description, although he points out that there is extensive damage from the Archbishop's raid (but he doesn't know how much has been repaired by Manfred.
The inhabitants are 4 knights without horses (including Manfred), some 15-20 mercenaries (some are good with bows; some are probably lawless men), some 10-20 servants and 4-7 women.

The fight was about Manfred's protest against about the match Count Rudiger has planned for his daughter - penniless Count Schoneck's son Dietrich whom Manfred considers unmanly.

He tells you to report back to him once you've accomplished your aims.

Unless Arturous has additional questions, Carolinus thanks Rudiger for his hospitality and his confidences, and returns to the house to report back to the others.

In the evening, Carolinus plays and sings a song for the family, tailoring the lyrics to include the name of the nine-year old child. As he begins, he casts a spell to create the images of some of the scenes he sings about in the hearth fire. While the images are not perfect, they are meant to suggest the events and people in the song.

[size=85]ooc: Create illusions Cr(Re)Im5 (Base 1 + 2 voice, + 1 Concentration + 1 complexity)
Roll 2 + 6 Re + 7 Im + 1 Sta / 2 = 8
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2781651/[/size]

Arturous doesn't have anything to add to the conversation with the count, though his face does darken once he overhears Katzenellenbogen's suggestion to 'put a spell' on his son.

He returns with Carolinus to town.

Once dinner is finished, the magi are left by themselves, and all brought up to date, he speaks his mind.

"This is a delicate situation"

"If, by some misfortune, we harm either the castle or the count's son, we will most certainly earn his wrath. We might even be charged with meddling in mortals affairs. We will need a sound plan in order to proceed, and I am not so sure the risk is worth the potential gains."

"So what do we do now?" Hildegard asks. "Explore the island? Do the Count's bidding? Or do we take the forest site? Or Trier?"

Arturous strokes his beard and thinks for a moment

"I'm in favor of exploring the island, but I would like to hear your opinion in the matter"
He pauses and appraises the assembled Magi

"I don't think there should be any reason for the Count's son to do us harm if we approach him properly.
We can board one of the ships whose route would take it near Kaub Island, and when we stop to pay the toll, request to talk with Manfred. Perhaps we could convince him to reconcile with his father. I suggest we avoid using magic on him, as any effect to force his mind would be temporary at best, not to mention immoral. I also think we should leave our travelling companions behind; the armed guardians are more likely to provoke an attack then deter it."

"Carolinus would have the best shot at that. The rest of us would just make it harder than it is. We could sit in the boat while Carolinus talks to him. Should we think of some protection for him before we go?"

"I think we should all go. There might be arguments we can raise that Carolinus might not think of otherwise."

[size=85]ooc: I absolutely, 100% agree with your reasoning, but I don't want to write myself out of the story for who knows how long… [/size]

"Does anyone have a way of increasing Carolinus' presence? Aura of rightful authority or something like it. We would not be casing on a mundane, just helping our odds."

"I can certainly cast the spell to make myself more imposing. I would appreciate some backup, however. I fear that the fact that Manfred is gathering his own forces may indicate some unreasonableness on his part."

Carolinus is certainly willing to listen to the plans the others have.

[size=85]ooc: RL has been intruding, and I will be without a computer for the next few days. :frowning: [/size]

ooc:
I'll try and make this visit happen as quickly as possible - I'll use indirect speech and all.

"No, Aura of rightful authority directly affects the mind of the target. It compels obedience. "

Arturous turns his head, his voice bitter
"I have….much experience with that spell and its application. Not something I would use lightly."

He clears his throat and continues
"Protection spells, however, could be very handy. We can never be too cautious. Let's cast what spells we know in the morning and carry on with our plan"

Arturous wakes up at the crack of dawn and wastes no time beginning his morning routine. He briskly marches around the edge of the town, and then down to the river to wash himself and his dark garments in the cold water.

He returns to the farm in early morning in time for breakfast.
Once the protective spells have been cast (Arturous knows none), he gently urges the rest of group to waste no time and head to the wharf.

"I assure you, Arturous, I will compel no one. My spell merely alters my appearance so that I appear more ... impressive." Carolinus casts the spell, and immediately appears more authoritative. "As part of the nobility, he should be willing to talk to someone of stature. But just in case, if you will wait a few minutes, I can cast some protection for myself." He takes half an hour and follows with a ceremoniously cast spell to deflect metal objects.

"We are probably as ready as we shall ever be, unless you have a contribution, Honorous?"

"I still think a direct approach with Manfred would be best. Let us sail within hailing distance, and request his permission to land to speak with him and look around."

[size=85]ooc: Aura of ennobled Presence gives Carolinus +3 on rolls to influence, lead, or convince others. The spell to deflect metal requires Carolinus to be aware of the metal and consciously deflect it. ReTe10, R personal, D sun, T ind (Base 2 +2 metal, +2 sun) roll 7 + 1 Sta + 6 Re + 0 Te +3 ceremonial casting, +3 confidence / 2 = 10.[/size]

ooc: ennobled presence spell works, the other fails because of a divine aura.

As Carolinus finishes casting his protection spell, the magical energy swells, and the corners of the magus' mouth turn up as he begins to grin, only to feel the energy quickly disapate. "The divine aura is a bit strong here. I guess we'll be relying on God's protection, this time." Carolinus really does smile now. "Let's hope Manfred is as god-fearing as the rest of the town!"

"Arturous, your plan to approach Manfred still sounds as good as it did last night. Shall we put it into action?"

As the magi leave the farm, Carolinus muses aloud, "I wonder what Manfred's sister, Melisande, thinks of all this?"

I can cast a ward vs metals on you but it would be limited to what I am aware so it might not be as good. Do you want it?

An image of the destruction Honorus caused at Waldstein rumbling through his memory, Carolinus looks at Honorus, eyebrows raised. "I thank you for the offer; you are most kind to be concerned for my safety." He smiles. "Divine auras make me a little itchy, however, and I would rather not lower my parma. I am sure that being of noble blood, Manfred would not disgrace his honor by doing any physical harm to guests.

"I suppose we should send a runner with a letter of introduction to him. That might set a better tone of mutual respect, than just showing up unannounced."

Arturous sits down on trail and watches Carolinus work his magic, but as seconds turns into minutes, his patience clearly runs thin while he eerily stares at the Jerbiton.

After a while, he begins an age old exercise thought to him by his Master; He manifests a blue flame in his palm, face frozen, silently concentrating to keep the magic going for as long as possible. The flame flickers and dies; only to abruptly ignite once more as Arturous softly speaks the words of magic again and again. His trance is finally broken by the sounds of the ongoing conversation.

"I would never trust any man's word - but his self interest, that I can wager my life on"

He springs up to his feet and picks up his worn travelling staff

"I shan't wait for a runner, and I don't believe one is needed. Etiquette is not required nor appreciated by a bandit who took over his father's possession by force of arms."

Hildegard who has just finished braiding her hair looks up and asks: "So we get a boat to take us to the island, right?"