Chapter 5: Kaub Island

The boatman looks a bit astonished and replies:

"Well, most of the people in Kaub are normal craftsmen. There is the "Golden Stag" that caters to the rich and foolish - he spits though I've been told it's not as grand as the name says you knows what I means. But Lothar the old codger that run it would offer you his own grandma (realizes Hildegard - a child - is present)...uh...to talk to about the weather. So your silver is good there and you could stay together.
At the north end - he points back the way you came - half a mile or so - there is the Gerold farm - poor people, yet friendly even to the likes of you - uh people that can read and a do great things. Big barn - plus the master bedroom if you're generous enough.
Finally, you could try the Heinz family - they are all kinds of woodworker - have nice enough accommodation (no fleas and all), but you'd have to split up: The cartwright can take half and the carver the rest, if it pleases you,
Generally, people are shy around great worshippers of de ..uh di... uh divine wisdom like your friends, so generosity will help."
The last sentence comes with an oily grin and a look which is half fearful, half greedy. You are convinced that he has given you all the information he knew.

ooc:
I think Kaub must have no more than 200-400 inhabitants. Pick the sleeping place - no one will be overjoyed at housing magi, but all will accommodate you for normal rates and try to be more or less helpful if you use normal magus generosity (you can assume that your silver is enough for normal magus-sized tips).

"I vote for the Gerold farm. Either they have dealt with people with the Gift or are a murderous gang that will try to kill us in our sleep. I take a risk it is the former and be alert of the later."

"Yes, the farm sounds good to me as well. Far from town and out of sight of prying eyes. Let's make haste, I am weary and the night is already upon us"

When you arrive at the farm, negotations are quick. You are offered the house and the family moves to the barn. Prices are no worse than you are used to. They know about the Order of Hermes - because their eldest daughter is an apprentice with House Bonisagus (in her third year), as the parents proudly tell you.
The 6 children (2-9 years) are afraid of magi, but stay around nevertheless, because they want to learn to write letters like the one the Kaub merchants bring once in a while from their glorious big sister Bernadette: In Latin!

You know the maga the girl is with - a likeable traveling weather witch, a filia Trianormae called Beatrice.

The family even have breakfast with you!

Each night we stay in their home, Honorus will spend time with the children teaching them their letters and some latin.

Carolinus will follow Honorus' lessons with a song or two.
Early the next morning, Carolinus intends to ask around town about the island, before deciding whether or not to go up to the local castle. He would also like to know the names of the nobles in the area, and what kind of people they are before approaching them.

This is what Carolinus learns in town:
1.) The castle above Kaub belongs to the Count Rudiger of Katzenellenbogen.
2.) There are other local noblemen: the Count of Hundseck (greedy), the Countess of Andernach-Nehrenburg (widowed, sharp-tongued), and the Count of Mersenheim (a pious retired crusader). The two big players in the area are the archbishops of Mainz and Cologne.
3.) Income in the area is based on both legal and illegal tolls, but also transportation, farming and wine.
4.) The Count of Katzenellenbogen has two children: His firebrand daughter Melisande, and his son Manfred.
5.) Manfred holds Pfalzgrafen Island (=Kaub Island) for his father and collects the toll.

ooc: no need to show you the dice, but they were rolled.

The children appreciate the kindness.

After spending the night at the barn (he vehemently refuses to expel the family from their house just so he can enjoy a more comfortable bed), Arturous rises early and takes a long stroll around the outskirts of the village.
When Carolinus returns, he questions him as to what he has learned
"What of the local noble? Do you figure he would be willing to talk with us, or is he the type who would not tolerate our kind? we can walk up to the castle today if you think it safe"

"I was unable to find out the Count's disposition toward the Order. It might be wise if I talked to him alone first. I think it will be helpful to determine the relationship between the Count and his son. Is there any other information you would like me to look for?

"I thought that we might first simply ask permission to explore the island."

"I would rather come with you and meet the count in person; it should prove to be interesting. Besides, if he has at least some sense in him, he should already be aware of our presence in his town. "
Arturous reaches for his staff
"Ready when you are"

"Interesting... yes." Carolinus smiles to himself. "Off we go, then!" He limps from the room, his staff keeping time with a tune he hums: the song of the loreley.

[size=85]ooc: Are there any other preparations Carolinus would make, keeping in mind his Etiquette (nobility) ability?[/size]

ooc: I think it would be polte to officially announce their presence by sending a note (some child will be happy to deliver it). The tone of the note can do much to define relations and attitudes. It's also a Gift-free first contact.

On the way out of the house, Carolinus pauses. "One moment, Arturous." He calls to the nine-year old running across they yard, and pulls out parchment and ink. Using his lyre case atop the woodpile as a writing surface, Carolinus pens a note to Count Rudiger. "Have you a title of any kind beyond your esteemed House, Arturous?" As he seals the letter, he smiles at the youngster. "You were quite bright with your letters last night. Can you carry this letter to the count in the castle, quick as a bird? I'll play you a special song tonight if your feet prove fleet." He hands the letter to the child, "Quickly, now!" The child scampers off, and Carolinus smiles to himself. That may be the biggest bread crumb I've left for my dear Uncle. I hope he's not too hungry yet. Carolinus turns to Arturous. "Let's take our time on our way up to the castle."

To Count Rudiger of Katzenellenbogen, greetings and good health from Carolinus Alpinus ex Jerbiton and Arturous ___ ex Tytalus. The hospitality of the people in your village speaks well of your leadership, and we are grateful for the time we are able to spend here. May we impose on your kindness a little further, and seek audience with you this day? As scholars and travelers, your town and its people and surroundings are of interest to us, and we would be grateful for the chance to speak with you. We expect to arrive within the hour, and look forward to your kind welcome.

The return note is brief:
Worthy scholars,
I shall be pleased to welcome you. My doors are open to men of noble birth and noble mind.
Katzenellenbogen

When you arrive at the castle you realise that your note must have set off a whirlwind of activity, especially in the kitchen. You smell venison.
The Count, fur-trimmed and elegant, personally welcomes you, stretching out his hands as if you were long-lost sons (exaggeration was a typical element of welcoming traveling knights at the time).
If he is feeling uncomfortable around magi he doesn't show it. Once you've been seated, his small talk soon turns to who you are and what you want.

Wine and meat are served while you are talking and Katzenellenbogen's appetite is mirrored by his protruding blly.

"An excellent feast, sir! We thank you for your welcome and hospitality. We are most interested in the island, as we have discovered some historical information about the location, and would like to investigate personally. Would you be so kind as to allow us access?"

[size=85]ooc: I am feeling a little out of my depth here, as I personally don't have much info about the location, aside from what has been posted here. JM, should I read the section in GotF? I have avoided doing so up to this point, based on an earlier post from you.[/size]

Arturous eats lightly and doesn't touch the wine. He answers briefly when spoken to, but remains quiet for the most part, letting Carolinus lead the conversation.
Once the discussion turns more serious, he becomes more attentive and studies the counts reaction, waiting for his response.

Katzenellenbogen pales at your request. He stammers: "Hm, the island is uh mine. Uh, well...yes...uh that means...no."
Then he undertakes a pitiful attempt at changing the topic: "So what's the weather like where you came from?"

ooc: I think you'll soon have the necessary information one way or another anyway. As for reading the chapter, feel free to read it, but don't rely on it when it comes to people's behavior (the geography remains the same). I do change the storyline somewhat (so that it doesn't get boring for people that read the Rhine chapter).

"We have experienced excellent travelling weather ..." Carolinus allows the conversation to drift for now, and enjoys the food and drink the Count provides, thankful to be in a place where the finer things in life are appreciated. Toward the end of the meal, and during a lull in conversation, he silently casts Aura of Enobled Presence on himself, then speaks quietly but forcefully to Katzenellenbogen. "I am curious, sir, if you will not allow us access to the island, will you kindly provide us with some information? I noticed you were reluctant to talk about this subject earlier; perhaps we can retire to somewhere more private to continue our discussion?" Carolinus smiles as he nods toward the servants.

For a moment it seems as if Katzenellenbogen wanted to ask Arturous to stay with the servants, but then he doesn't dare.
He invites them to join him on the keep tower for some fresh air.
There he remains silent for almost a minute, looking down onto the river and Pfalzgrafenisland, which looks more like a boat than like a castle from up here.
At last he breaks his silence - and once he starts, he speaks rapidly like someone who wants to rid himself of his words.
"You see, my only son son, Manfred, holds the castle yonder on the river. We had a (small pause) disagreement last year and he has been showing a spirit of independence ever since. He ...
Well basically, he sits on the island with near two score men and collects the toll - for himself. He buys all he needs from passing barges and refuses to leave.
Of course I could mount an attack, but the castle is easy to defend - and I want neither the destruction of my son nor of my property.

I think you are magi. Can't to put a spell on him that makes the Prodigal son come home? I assume you are looking for something - I know that there were once esoteric scholars like you on the island.
I'll allow you to go there - for all it's worth - and if you find a way to make my son come to his senses, you are welcome to take with you all those weird alchemy books and things that were not destroyed when the bishoped razed the island all those years ago."