Chapter 5: On the Road

Halvard would recommend taking the cargo and returning the ship that we saved from pirates.

[color=green]Roberto: [color=red]Are you saying that you think it is okay to go around stealing stuff from other magi as long as it isn't magical? I say the nay! That mundane material wealth represents time and effort. That buts food, parchment, ink, glass tubing, all the things a magus needs for his magic. What? Is this the wild uncivilized days of before the Oath? We are free to steal and ransack from each other, lacking the protections and surities that even the most common villager possesses? Lawless chaos, might makes right, take what you want so long as you can out-certamen those who want to keep their rights.

No my friend. This stinks. This is rotten and corrupt. This must be corrected.

And I say again, rather than pirating the innocent, why don't we focus on pirating from other pirates? Moreso, let us track and trace these Hermetic thieves, and take from them what they take from others. Then we return it to it's lawful posessor. We will build allies rapidly that way.

glitch

glitch

[color=green]Halvard:
[color=red]And I would say that you are a fool to subject this Covenant to rules which no other Covenant in this Tribunal are following. You may feel morally superior as the Novus Main falls from lack of funds. I will not help in the pirating or banditry but I will not handicap a spring Covenant, that I have sworn an oath to, to satisfy a ruling that you do not like.

This is just a lesson. From now on all supply trips will have a mage to protect it. Show the Hermatic bandits that we can protect our own and they will leave us alone and seek easier prey.

[color=red]We are returning these goods to their rightful owner, and that is that. Anyone that tries to steal from us get's Wizard Warred upon. If we cannot come to an agreement my friend, their is a lwaful way for us to resolve our differences.

Creo...

OOC, if you think I am being Dk just let me know. I knew of this potential story angle going into this game. I just think I finally found something in this tribunal for Roberto to feel passionate about.

[color=red]If it were only between the two of us I would agree but what you propose effects the entire Covenant. We can take a vote.

[color=red]So be it then (breathes a sigh of relief, as a vote allows him to save face without having to duel his sodale)

[color=red]"I dislike the tradition of banditry within this tribunal and I believe many covenants abstain from it. However I beleive it is legal within this tribunal and it would be foolish for us to oppose it alone. If a amge accompanies such cargo shipments then we can protect them with certeman and avoid the needless effusion of blood.
Roberto while I have no doubts of your prowess what will you do if the mages of Montverte raid our supplies even your valor cannot prevail against a flambeau mage 50 years your elder and that covenant is renowned for its support of the raiding tradition.
In the case of this cargo , we magi where not involved in the raid and we did not deliberatly attack the cargo of a fellow maga, further I believe this is not a cargo of her covenant's but her own private trade speculation so we are not damaging a covenant but a merchant trading house like any other so if we are to engage in piracy this is the sort of risk we run.

I would have no objection to us taking this cargo , however I value Roberto's honour and if he feels strongly that it would be disonorable for us to take this cargo I will not oppose him and cast my vote with his"

It's a deliberatly controverial part of the code and ultimatly whatever our covenant chooses to do on this issue will effect our politics so a mage with strong opinions is fine. Just be careful not to back yourslelf into a corner where you have to wizards war an archmage.

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1660360/
The guard swings at his fellow , depsite his suprise his fellow is able to block the blow and turn to face his attacker.
The mage shouts out a few words in Latin and Dragor finds himslelf raising into the air.
"Enougth , I do not wish to kill you but if you continue this assault I will be forced to defend myself"

With Entrancement, I think the victim will keep working towards completing the order until they are finished...

But Dragor shall take no more action this day. I was hoping to harvest some corpses for maste David, turn them into zombies to carry the remaining wares back.

[color=green]Roberto: [color=red]My question to you, to all of you; How do you know which materials are for his magical resources and which are merely mundane wealth? This shipment of silks, spices, furs, and other goods. How do you know that the magus isn’t planning to make a magical silk robe? Maybe there is a Verditius tailor at his covenant, and he makes all of his own magical clothing. Maybe the spices were meant to be the ingredients in the herbal brew of a Pharmecopian member of his covenant. Maybe those gems and jewels were meant for his own Greater Talisman. You simply don’t know what is a mundane or a magical resource, and neither you nor I have the right to arbitrarily make that decision.

Look, I will let the council decide what shall be done, but I want no part of goods stolen from a sodale. But don’t you think there is something wrong with a ruling that says you can steal whatever you want from another magus, so long as it isn’t magical. You can take his money, sleep with his wife, abduct his children, block all mundane supplies from going in or out of his covenant. What next? Oh, I can knock you down and kick you in the face, I didn’t slay you or attempt to slay you, I just wanted to hurt you.

I don’t know what else to say, except that you should fear for the foolish magus that tries to steel from us. I doubt any would be so foolish though. (he says, having no idea about the situation Dragor, Axel, and Marcello face out on the road)

[color=green]Halvard:

[color=red]My answer to my honorable sodalis is why handicap ourselves for no reason. It will not change until we challenge the ruling at a tribunal. In the mean time other Covenants will prey on us while we meekly hand over anything that your pirates may get.

Roberto throws up an argument that has nothing to do with the matter at hand. He wants you to believe that if you follow the Tribunal rulings that your persons are at stake. You can be beaten and robbed with no recourse. All of these actions are covered in the Code of the order so unless we are expanding the argument to also change the Code then his arguments have nothing to do with the matter at hand.

Something is needed for income for Novus Main. If we have no stomach for pirating then perhaps we should look into being sheep merchants.

OOC, Love the Sheep Merchant comback. That stings!

[color=red]Well, you know the tribunal better than I do, which is why I keep quoting and referring to my home tribunal. I have no idea who the magi of Monteverte are. But I am confident that any Flambeau magus worthy of the title would deal with me honorably. And I am not afraid to WW a magus who is my senior. He may be more powerful, but I am assuredly more clever. And unlike these soft Flambeau up here, I have real life experience. However, this is not something to rush into. I figure I will need some time to prepare myself to become worthy of these elders, perhaps cut my teeth on some less senior bandits. Or even better, we should build an alliance of like minded covenants who are sick and tired of abuses like this.
And Havlard, I never said I wanted to be a pirate, and that sheep merchant comment is an unwarrented insult. I would rather defend people against pirates, or better yet, train mercenaries & custos for other covenants, and sell my services as protector against banditry. We will never hand anything over meekly. Our enemies will burn and bleed and shall know remorse and regret.

Look, I am awesome. Yes, this is true. But I am only one. I need my sodales to stand by my side. We are all made stronger banding together than standing separately. Our covenant needs to band together with other covenants against bandits if we are to see justice triumph.

[color=green]Halvard:

[color=red]I was not the one who leaped to piracy in capturing a ship. If you do not want to be a pirate then why support them?

As for being a merchant, I said we had to have some income. With the land around here, being a sheep farmer or better yet, wool merchant, if you prefer, would be profitable quickly. And quickly is what we need income to train those men to defend the lands.

[color=red]I did not leap into piracy. I was rescuing our men from other pirates, and the ship we captured was itself a pirate ship. As I said, such would be my prefered target. And honestly, I don't care what these mundane pirates do. It is the idea of stealing from fellow magi that has me discontented.

[color=red]Rescuing your pirates from other pirates?

So you do not care about the banditry as long as it does not effect the Order. Did you make any effort to check if the ship your pirates captured had any cargo bound for a Covenant? Was any effort made to see if the ship belonged to a Covenant?

((biting back his tongue to say that Roberto is playing lose with his honor))

[color=red]I swor my Oath to the Order of Hermes, not any mundane institution. And this ship is obviously the property of a magus. His sigil is marked on it! It may even be his sanctum!

Look, debate is getting us nowhere. Let us put this to a vote, and I will abide by the decision of the covenant. You know where I stand.