Chapter 5a - Of Ancient Days and Long Lost Nights

No, you were about 250 yards away when that happened. And your priorities are backwards. There is a burned child and you are worried about yourself? Typical Ludo :laughing:. But the Demon, you should be worried about that! Two posts in a row and no DoE! What's up with that?

The crows fade as quickly as they had appeared as if sated with their meal. The quaesitore speaks in a firm voice. "Where is Metron?"

If the demon tries to negotiate or parlay, Octavian will simply cast another DEO and add. "My apologies, but I will not ask thrice."

You picked the wrong kind of demon to try to interrogate :stuck_out_tongue:
In this shapeless and dimensionless form, it is unable to communicate.
Also, it can only hold this form for a single round. Anyone wanna take a crack at it before it changes?

Here, I am gonna post the stats I made :smiley:

Gurgorgoloth, Maddening Horror:
Order: Vessel of Iniquity
Infernal Might: 25
Characteristics: Int -3, Per +0, Com -2, Pre -2, Str +3, Sta +7, Dex -1, Quik +1
Size: +0
Virtues: +1 Berserk, +1 Puissant Brawl, +1 Tough
Flaws: -1 Simple Minded
Personality Traits: Depraved +6, Hysterical +6, Hope -6
Reputations: Insane 3 (Infernal)
Hierarchy: 3
Combat:
Knife: Init +2, Atk +7, Def +10, Dmg +1
Fist: Init +2, Atk +8, Def +10, Dmg +3
Soak: +10
Fatigue: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, ko
Wounds: -1 Lt (1-5), -3 Med (6-10), -5 Hvy (11-15), Incap (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Brawl 6+2 (when frantic), Guile 6 (feign concern for the safety of others), Language 5 (other person’s language), Leadership 3 (fearful mobs), Penetration 5 (upon those already afraid)
Powers:
Obsession: 1-3 points, Init -5 (Vim)
Hysteria – related to Fear, Despair, Panic, and Madness; opposed by Bravery, Optimism, Hope, Determination and Confidence.
Form of Wickedness: 2 points, Init 0 (Mentem)
As a Vessel of Iniquity, the demon’s physical form is without shape or dimension or other accidents of form If asked to describe it, it appears as a conglomerate of nightmares (such as Cornelius of Bonisagus described). It is pure solid sin, and the ten closes people to the demon indulge in some form of Hysteria, such as Despair or Panic. They forsake all hope and seek to desperately preserve themselves at the expense of all others, or they simply snap and go on a mad rampage, causing harm or death to themselves and/or others.
Shape of the Scared Simpleton: 0 points, Init 0 (Corpus)
The demon can take on the form of a small, scared, dimwitted simpleton. He is in a frightful and panicked state, desperately afraid of something horrifying coming to destroy him (he of course is thinking of the Day of Judgment). He will act concerned for anyone he encounters, try to encourage them to share his fear, but will kill them at his first opportunity, for he fears they conspires against him.
Contagious Obsession: 1 point per victim, Init 0 (Mentem)
The Fear and Desperation spreads.
Weaknesses:
Protected Group: Children, for children are the embodiment of hope and promise for the future.
Vis: 6
Description: Gurgorgoloth represents an utter lack of Hope and the sins associated with it; Fear, Desperation, Panic, Hysteria, and Madness.

:smiling_imp:

Octavian does not have any infernal lore. For all he knows the swathing mass might just be a demonic illusion that even his eyes can't penetrate. :stuck_out_tongue:

True :wink:

Well if the demon doesn't seem to be the conversation type, he'll just blast it into kibble.

I am waiting on the others :slight_smile:
You went first and blasted it, the others held off because you tried to speak to it. It now needs to assume a spirit form or a man form. It is not a very intelligent creature. It will take man form and plead for mercy and plot to stab you in the back when you are not looking. You can interrogate it now, but I will save you the frustration and tell you flat out that the thing is as dumb as a box of rocks.

Logically, one of the other characters should get a chance to do something right now. Vares can also blast it, Inigo can destroy it in one shot, and Ludo has all sorts of insidious options :smiling_imp:

I am doing this segment on a post-order initiative. Octavian, if none of the others responds by the time I leave work (around 6pm CST), then it will be your turn to blast it (though this is not enough to destroy it in one shot still, it has 15 might remaining)

That's fine. Seeing as the creature doesn't pose a challenge to Octavian right now and that you have mentioned in the past that you wanted to speed things up, I was sort of volunteering so we wouldn't have to "waste time" on having Inigo or the others simply defeat something so far beneath them and simply move on. :slight_smile:

This is true, I do want to speed things up. But I don't want to leave people in the dust. And blasting the demon in one shot is not beneeth Inigo. It is something cool and I wanna see it!

Give him until the end of the work day. Also, you and Vares together can destroy it in one round. Ludo can do nasty things :smiling_imp:

The tremendous explosion of the building behind them causes Vares to immediately adopt a defensive posture. He searches the area with his heightened senses, attempting to ascertain the source of the attack.

Seeing the guard emerge from the wreckage holding a the burned body of the child, Vares moves toward the ruins, scanning all the while for new danger.

When the Demon appears, Vares lets loose with "The Crystal Dart", aiming for an extremity. His intention is to cause an injury that makes the opponent bleed, then gather that blood to use as an Arcane Connection, increasing penetration.

OOC: Advantage to a low-level spell is high Penetration.

"Acquisition of the Collector's Eye" can be used to 'fetch' the sample to him. He can then use that to back his "Demon's Eternal Oblivion" spell, blasting through the Magic Resistance. It'll take multiple castings, probably.

Just as a note, since Vares took samples from the portal room, he has Arcane Connections to what is LEFT of it. Including the area directly next to the (destroyed/shattered) portal.

You should have just let loose with DeO. Penetration is not an issue here, you have +10, it has -10. That is a 20 point advantage that you have.

And in human form, it's soak is such that the Crystal Dart will have a negligible effect.

Glad you checked on the child though! Roger is dead, the child is badly burned, but it apparently has the power to regenerate and is healing quickly.

Octavian will cast another DEO

Roll here: invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1934565/

Which is enough to penetrate to cause a loss of 10 Infernal Might.

If the creature attempts to attack him, he will try to fast cast Wizard's Leap to escape it:

invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1934566/ for fast cast speed total 11
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1934567/ for wizard's leap cast total 25

His form explodes into a murder of crows that fly off in random directions before gathering together to reform into him.

Vortigern destroys the thing with his follow up shot.

So, the demon is dead and the curse is lifted from the town. Some residents went permenantly insane and others will never be able to cope with what they did while the hysteria gripped them.

The magi are all intact.
One grog is dead, his name was Roger. The rest are fine.
The woman is dead, the child seems to have healed itself just fine, and no one knows where the cat went.

The regio that enveloped the house has collapsed, as the hermetic arcttecture of the building is what supported it to begin with.

You have a bag containing Metron's journals and lab texts from the past few years.

And I have no idea what you are going to do next. You are Trapped in the Magic Realm...

At the sound of the explosion Ludo turns on his heels to face it, raising his cloak with one hand to protect his face. As things settle he begins walking purposefully back towards the guesthouse, not over fast but in a solid and constant pace that eats the distance without being tiring.

As the Demon appears he instantly begins to invoke DEO, full voice belting out and with exagerrated gestures. ( DEO lvl 10, Perdo 10, Vim 20, Penetration 4 (Spirits ), Focus, Aura: 55 - Penetration 45 + Gesture/Voice + die)

[color=blue]As Ludo battles the spirit Ordobos settles in around Ludo's material form. The two auras merge, the flaming aura and bright magic, as Ordobos does so. [ Ordobos protects Ludo, giving him magic resistance equal to Ordobos' might. ] This becomes obvious spiritually [ second sight ] and physically, as Ordobos' powers manifest. Ludo becomes enveloped in a flaming aura, blazing brightly around him and licking out to burn small objects of debris with an eager seeming hunger. [Mainly cosmetic, but if anything else happens basically a fire-based protection effect from Ordobos.]

He casts as he advances, moving arcs of bright white lightning blazing from his hands and eyes to ripple along the ground and flying out to strike the demon. He casts over and over again, not stopping when the demon assumes a material form... but carrying on in an obvious fervor to see the creature destroyed. [color=red]"Infamia! Foul Pet of Shadow!"

When it is finished he will continue walking to stand near Octavian over it's smoking remains ( if any, if not... smoking crater ) and look down at it with obvious distaste in his eyes. Eventually he looks up at Octavian directly. The intensity of his gaze is heated for a moment, looking the other man up and down in a clear evaluation. At that distance the heat of the flame aura can be felt, a suitable companion to his visage. [OOC: I proceed with an assumption I don't see any possession or infernal taint or the like. ][color=red]"Are you well Quaesitor?" he says simply.

[color=blue] When the child begins to cry Yasmine immediately leaves the protection of Ludo's entourage and flies immediately to it's side, becoming visible in the moment that she takes form. A radiant faerie lady in noble accoutrement with immediate and obvious concern for the child. She picks it up and begins cooing and fussing over it in disregard of the rest of the battle.

[OOC: You are rushing me! LOL. ]

Sorry! I will change it :smiley:

His eyes remain in narrow slits while Ludo scrutinizes him, the intensity of his gaze is enough to unsettle even the most stoic of men (piercing gaze the minor, general virtue) as his sinister eyes bore into those he had ordered to remain within the building. The ward placed upon him by Inigo prior to entering the portal keeps the heat of the flames at bay. "I've had enough. I've lost all hope for this pathetic expedition." The contempt in his voice drips like poison. "You focus on the trivial and lose sight of what is most important. Success is impossible in this sea of ignorance." He draws a dagger to his hand and throws it at the ground where the building once stood. He walks towards the cadavre of Roger, ignoring whatever verbal retorts anyone but Inigo offers. He crouches to pick up the man's dead body and begins to walk away. If any appear to stop him he tells them matter of factly. "I will give him the proper burial he deserves."

OOC: And if everyone had remained in the building, the backlash from the collapse would have caught them, too.

Still not used to 5th Ed. combat.

IC: Seeing that Roger is dead, Vares examines the boy--and finds him healing at an incredible rate. He mulls over what may happen to Roger's "soul" in this place. He searches with his Second Sight for any trace of it--or the man's spirit--in the area.

Octavian's manner is finally too much. "If you'd stop treating everyone as a suspect, it might improve coordination. We are NOT your Tremere filii, but Sodales with rights and perogatives of our own. Including independence of judgment and action."

OOC: I'm lucky to get one post in a day, let alone two. I can't really keep up with combat here. Or other developments.