Chapter 5a - Of Ancient Days and Long Lost Nights

I am slowing things back down now that the drama has passed. And your speech was Awesome!!

As far as Roger's Soul, someone could try to summon his ghost maybe?

(OOC: Or the group could have stopped Metron from entering the portal and blowing it up during his escape. /shrug. The character's patience has reached its limit.)

Octavian will go looking for a shovel or other implement with which to dig a grave.

((Alas, I have nothing to add at this time. If there's a crucial moment and I'm not responding, feel free to NPC me in the future))

Ludo turns and walks away, his hand settling on his belt as he moves, gaze turning to survey the wreckage of the guesthouse. Sighing to himself he shifts on his heels to face the village, muttering softly. [color=red]"That viper hopes that we will lose our way here and be lost in the void for so long as to become inconsequential to him." he says, his anger palpable.

The danger and drama has passed for now. Sorry if I started to go too fast. I got over-excited :laughing:

In Character Drama-Tensions, that is fine, and quite realistic given the circumstances.
OCC, I think you guys did great. I am just trying to scare you, you are not totally trapped. You can press onward to Val-Negra. Once you settle your personal differences that is :wink:.

Once it is evident that the immediate danger has passed, Vares uses the link of the Arcane Connections to the area of the portal to extend his senses through "The Far-Prying Eye", scanning the rubble for remnants of the portal itself, with its distinctive designs. Should he identify one, he brings it to himself with "Acquisition of the Collector" and studies it to determine if it retains its Arcane Connection to the other portal, which it should. Whether it will function or not is another matter.

Well, we did go kinda hollywood with the exploding house. It erupted into flames sure enough, and any concussive force was due to backdraft. But the blaze simmers down. Sorting though the ruin, you can indeed find what remains of the portal. and it is dead, no Arcane connection at all. AC's do not function between the mundane and magic realms.

And, since you were the one most concerned with Roger's spirit, I will inform you that the child (his name is Gregory) has suddenly acquired the Ghostly Warder Virtue :wink:

Inigo: There is plenty for you to do right now. You should step up and show some leadership, help Octavian reign his emotions in. Take charge and keep the mission on track.

OOC: Sorry if I made you feel frustrated. I intentionally tried to keep you confused and off balance, that is Metron’s standard strategy. Also, I didn’t design the villain with any specific encounter in mind, so I did not make him immune to you on purpose. The Immunity to Cold is part of his transformation to the Flaming Shadow. He is all about the negative aspects of Ignem. When I said you keep casting the wrong spell, that was me sort of gloating on Metron’s behalf. Sorry about that. The heat based spells were a good option, he just got a lucky soak roll. The spirit thing was meant to confuse you on purpose, and he was using magic shadow spirits (shadelings). Do not doubt that he commands Infernal shadows as well! RoP-Infernal describes two, Enervators and Lucifuges. You will learn more about him if you study his journals and lab texts, including his secret weakness! He is your enemy. You have the Enemies Flaw? Lemme see, it reads “unscrupulous Flambeau magi, hedge wizards of Provencal and Iberia, likely others as well”. That’s a long list. Well, add Metron to that list, because he is coming for you and everything you hold dear. Read the dream sequence I will be posting later.
But basically you kicked his @$$. He had nothing on you, nothing that could penetrate. It would have been suicidal to continue facing you head on. You forced him to flee. And you saved Octavian’s life.

Honestly, probably not. Looking at the numbers, Metron would have killed all of them and still destroyed the portal.
Don't dwell on the past! Val-Negra and all her mysteries are within your reach, press onward!

-sniff- :wink:

We shall see, in our next encounter.

And there will be one indeed :wink:

(OOC: Well we can compromise and say Metron would have likely hesitated if not attacked at all if he knew there were magi in there he had never seen or been held off long enough for Inigo and Octavian to get back. :slight_smile: )

Nah. I was in a mood to blast the very next thing that impeded my progress. I figured Inigo was the greatest challenge, Octavian was a moderate challenge, thus it would be safe to presume that any magi in the guest house would be even less of a challenge. Metron was desperate to escape.

The status of Roger's soul gauged--a fact which Vares would bring to Ludo's attention, as they both share an interest in that state--Vares turns his attention to the now badly unstable inhabitants of the community. Overcoming the magic placed on them is a priority.

With his magical senses of "The Far-Prying Eye" and "Whispers of the Wind" he searches the area, seeing and hearing whatever he can concerning the villagers. The extent of their madness is disheartening.

OOC: Marko, is it fear, hatred, or what that is afflicting them now?

Sweat beading on his forehead in the aftermath of the battle, Inigo looks somberly at his companions.
[color=red]Well done, brothers. We have proven our bravery and valor today.

His eyes are distant as he looks at the charred remains of the house. [color=red]Metron will pay for his sins well enough I think, in this life and the Hereafter. If we ever get out of here, we can collect some of that payment ourselves.

[color=red] For now, let us regroup. Val-Negra lies before us. Glory and riches would be nice, but a way out would be the most welcome achievement of all.

Once any appropriate investigations, rites, and moments of silence for the fallen are complete, Inigo resumes formation, prepared forge ahead into the unknown.

Remorse. Natural normal remorse. It has been six long years, and though they don't age here in the aMagic realm, they are originally from the mundane world and feel the weight of time.

The children are fine. Most of them have formed their own gang up in the house on the hill. Not quite Lord of the Flies, nothing so dark and sinister. Think rather like Peter Pan and the Lost Boys.

An old man comes up to you, speaking of graditude to the "Watchers" (you), and presents you with some kind of offering (I am not sure what it would be, so I am open to suggestions).

(OOC: His virgin daughter? Not that Octavian would be interested in the slightest mind you. He dislikes physical contact with others.)

The children and adults are, for the most part, segregated into two different groups. I was thinking more along the lines of a basket of foods, or personal valueables, or along those lines.

(OOC: Lodging and dinner would make sense IMO I don't know what kind of wealth they would have or otehr things they migh have to offer. Also, the daughter depends entirely on definition of child.)

Take my advice, never be first or last :wink:
They have little wealth remaining, neglecting their gardens as long as the have, and their remaining livestock has mutated. Pigs with human faces. This is a Corpus boundary that you are in.
And if you ask him nice, he may just know how to get to where you wanna go :wink: