Chapter 6: Sangria in Toledo

Where possible Iolar travels as an Eagle, she can't ride and finds sitting in a wagon or walking very uncomfortable. While an eagle she returns to the group to point out interesting or exciting things she has seen. While on the boat part of the trip she remains in human form , but does tend to spend some time chatting with the wind .

Iolar will go to the cathedral, she is always impressed by nice looking things and quite prepared to be respectful of other people's religion. She will ask Clara how she is supposed to behave in a church as she expects the religous observances are different to hers.

(She also really hopes she does not need to use magic in the cathedrak)

Kilica will go to the Cathedral unless Wirth leaves her behind with Clara

Both wirth and clara will want to see the cathedral. Then, maybe some sightseeing, eating something...

Clara is happy to talk with iolar, too.
Wirth finds this girl chat boring, and will just brood somewhere in the cathedral.

Kilica is welcome, of course

No wagons. We sailed from Novus Mane to Spain. Santiago de Campostella is right on the corner in the region of Galacia in the kingdom of Leon. We would walk or ride for a day or two, meeting many pilgrams and other visitors.

Roberto gladly revels in tales of Saint James, how the apostle came to Spain to spread the Gospel. To save you all the pain, I direct you to wikipedia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_de_Compostela
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._James

Campostela mean "Field of Stars". The scenery is breathtakingly eautiful. The people are warm and vibrant. Nearby is the Austurian mountains, where Pelayo and his 300 held of the invading Moors with the help of Reculed and Delendar. This is where the Reconquista began, where the invasion reached its limits and was turned back, where the dynasty that gave rise to all Iberian monarchs began.

And the Knights of Santiago are pretty cool too, unless you believe the lies of third edition :laughing:

When Roberto goes into the Cathedral, you see that he has habbits quite unusual for a magus. He lowers his Parma Magica, goes to the altar, and prays. He needs no protection from the light and love of God, and he needs no protection greater than the Holy Spirit. When his prayers are finished he raises his Parma back up again though.

Iolar is rather like a kid in a candy store who is trying to avoid the attention of overbearing parants. She is clearly trying to be solemn, quite and respectful but at the same time is distracted by the stained glass , Tapestries and Statuary and keeps whispering questions asking what various things are to her companions , but not Roberto he looks too serious to disturb.

Wirth and Clara do pray, but nothing like this (well, at least from Wirth. Clara has no parma :laughing:)

Clara, however, is both amused and worried by Iolar, taking the "parent" role: She explain things, says a lot of "hush! I'll explain later"
As usual, Wirth has no patience for this :laughing:

After Roberto genuflects before the alter he hears Marcello's booming voice from the nave near the statue of St. James.

[color=red]"Apadrinar!"

Looking in that direction, Roberto and the others can see Marcello engulfing someone in a hug.

As the groups moves closer you can see the man that Marcello was hugging. He appears to be in his late 40s or early 50s with black hair specked with gray. He stands roughly 165cm(5'6) tall. He wears clothes that look more like a fighting man than a mage but his dusky orange cloak and other read and yellow trimmings make one think of the house of Flambeau.

Near him stands a man who looks like he has seen many campaigns and battles. Lean at the waist but broad at the shoulders. Roberto recognizes him as Arias, Santiago's long time companion. He is openly wearing armor and a sword. As you get closer you can see his most striking feature. a long and vicious scar runs from his right temple, across his eye and stops by the edge of his mouth. As you get closer you can see that the right eye is not natural. It is different than his other in that it seems to flicker and sparkle at times.

Marcello is talking and gesturing in his excited manner with Santiago. He is speaking in Spanish. Santiago has as small smile on his face as he listens to the giant monk's chatter. When Roberto comes forward, Santiago's face lights up. as he sees the rest of the group he seems to withdraw a bit then puts on a face and tone of a host.

[color=red]Roberto, my son. I am very happy you could make this trip to see me. We have much to talk about. But first introduce me to your traveling companions.

[color=green]Roberto: (firmly shakes hands with Santiago and clasps him on the shoulder in a gesture of manly comeraderie) [color=red]Santiago! You old war-dog! Como esta patron? Que pasa? How are you and what's happening? It has only been a year or so, but it feels like so much longer. Everyone, Wirth, Iolar; this is Marcus Santiago of Flambeau, my friend and mentor lo these many years. In many ways, he is my true parens. After my master was slain and I earned a battlefield Gauntlet, he took me under his wing and finished my training. We fought in the Shadow Wars together, and Santiago was the one who killed Rassus and triumphed over the evil ones. (occ-Roberto played Robin to his Batman, achronistic analogy but it is apt)

[color=green]Wirth
Rather uneasy[color=red]
Santiago. Pleased to meet you. Roberto speaks a lot of you.

Clara seems much more afraid of him (who forgot to protect her with his parma? :blush: Anyway, it's better to let her become acustomed to iolar and roberto), and clings to Wirth's arm. Nonetheless, she smiles (remembering herself of the gift's effects), and adds[color=red] If you made roberto the man he is today, surely you must be a very brave and kind man
[color=blue]
Yeah, try to reassure yourself :laughing:

[color=red]Wirth...Wirth? Is your parens Hugues of Apromor?

And your wife. Clara is it? Very lovely.
Your latin is very good.

[color=green]Santiago:

[color=red]And this is Iolar? I've heard so much about you from my boys. Are you in Clan Maruhs?

I introduce my friends properly :slight_smile:

[color=green]Wirth
[color=red]That's right. Do you know him?

[color=green]Clara
WARNING!!! The psychopath is watching her!!!! Oh, no, this is this gift thing. It is supposed to, right? But what it he is??? Keep cool, girl, concentrate on what he's saying, not how you're feeling, and pray that it is the gift
[color=red]Thank you, sir. You've got Hugues to thank for that, he was very kind to me.

occ - Wirth forgot to cover Clara in his Parma, eh? You should be more cautious with your wife :laughing: .

[color=green]Santiago:

[color=red]Hugues and I have met when our House has gathered. Your name sounded familiar and I was trying to think where I had heard it.

[speaking to the group]
[color=red]Have you had a chance to look at the facades on this cathedral? No? Come. Arias has an interest in architecture and he can speak to them better than I.

[color=green]Arias:
[color=red]This Puerta de las Platerias is a two-arched Romanesque portal shows us a series of juxtaposed scenes in bas-relief, sculpted between 1112 and 1117. These sculptors came from Conques, in the French Pyrenee, Toulouse, Moissac, Loarre and Jaca, resulting in a happy synthesis of their artistic traditions....

Santiago allows Arias to lead the group to the south transept. He lingers enough to put his hand on Roberto's arm to hold him back while other move outside.

[color=green]Roberto: [color=red]Heh heh, I'm the one that told you about Wirth, in my letters. He is an excellent Flambeau magus and a good friend. I call him sodale, and perhaps amicus one day when we have known each other longer.

Anyway, I presume you have something private to say?

[color=red]"I am delighted to meet you and to answer your question , yes I am of the Maruh's , it is unnusual to meet someone from outside our house who recognises the distinction

Santiago leans closer to Iolar and speaks in a hushed voice:

[color=red]I really only know the names of three clans of the Bjornaer so I was guessing. [smiles] But at dinner, I will tall you about my friend Albertus from Maruh's clan. We shared many meals together in the holy land.

[color=blue]Well, MR 0 it would be anyway :laughing: So this changes little.
And the parma brings a "dulling of the senses", she says. Women :unamused:

Anyway, we go to see the cathedral again, listening to Arias explanations.
Clara clings to her husband, much less at ease with these strangers than with the magi she's learning to know.