Chapter 6: Sangria in Toledo

Santiago gives Roberto a hard look

[color=red]Your time in Normandy has lessened your manners. Be quite for a moment and listen.

Do you remember Eleanora ex Guernicus? She is the Quaesitor that I worked with the most when I am a champion of the Order. She talked to me recently because she had heard some rumor about my action at Las Navas de Tolosa. They were quite actuate so the information is from someone who was at the battle. I was able to learn that she heard this from Alianora ex Jerbiton. She is a flighty, busybody in a small Covenant in Toledo. She was not at the battle. I'm sure someone is using her to spread this information to the Quaesitores. The question is who.

I need help finding who is saying this. I must be able to protect myself at a tribunal. I can not act myself because it would give credit to the rumors. I need you to act on my behalf.

Santiago continues:

[color=red]Here is a list of the magi of Pacto de Toledo.

[hands a folded paper to Roberto]

[color=red]I will give you some books that you can trade with them so you have a reason to socialize with them.

One of the members of Pacto de Toledo is a Sahir. She is Ex Miscellanea so a member of the order. I do not think she was at Las Navas de Tolosa but I do not know. She might have been with Al-Estancia. I do not know.

Other than Alianora, there is Xpianus ex Tytalus and Leolinus ex Jerbiton. I do not know much about them. I have some inquiries about them. I will let you know when I hear anything.

[color=red]Absolutly mi patron. My heart is with you and I pledge myself to your assistance. Whomever it is that whispers rumors, they are breaking the unspoken code of silence all you old guys that were there did share. Many glories and many tragedies were born that day.

[If you wish to have an in game discussion on what you want to you can do it. Santiago will just treat all of you to a fine dinner with lots of wine, sangria and exotic foods ( for some of you). If you have any questions before I switch to Toledo this is the best time. Events may move quickly once we are in Toledo.

At this point, only Roberto knows the reason for the visit and it is up to him on how much everyone else knows. Please try to RP the amount of knowledge that Roberto gives.

I'll have more information on Pacto de Toledo in a bit. You will have that information before you begin this next phase.]

short on time. sorry. Basically, I omit any incriminating details. I will tell them that someone is trying to tarnish Santiago's reputation with slander. For Wirth, I might mention that someone is specifically gunning to destroy Santiago, and we need to find out who and why. But keep it all hush hush.

Question - what side were the Sahirs on in the battle? In my vision, they were allied with the Christians. When it comes to the Almohade invasion, almost all Moslems took allies with the Christians. In 1222, the Moslem ruler of Valencia pledges his army to Castile in order to repel the Almohades.

However, they could have been on either side, or even both sides. My vision of Las Nava is a very confusing mess of double alliances, lies, bravery, heroism, backstabbing, cheating, triumph over adversity, and more contradictions.

What is your view?

Al-Estancia, the sahir "covenant" was on the side of the Christians. But the Almohade had some magic/sahirs/infernal on their side. Someone was using Infernal Jinn/powers on the battlefield. Talking to other Flambeau who were there, they believe that some infernal powers were on the side of the Almohade. It seems that no Flambeau has talked to a Al-Estancia that was at the battle...hmmmmm

Pacto de Toledo is a small Covenant. It's aura is localed outside of the city to the south, across the Tagus River. But most of the Magi do not live at the covenant proper. The two Jerbiton have a large house in town that seems to function as the library and meeting house for the group. The Sahir lives in another house in town. Xpianus, the Tytalus, has a small house in town but spends most of his time either in his lab ( at the aura) or traveling around the Provence.

[color=green]Wirth
[color=red]I don't like this. Santiago is a fine man. Whoever does this shall regret it. Do you have any idea where we should begin our search? Who could target him?

Iolar is happy to travel where Roberto wants to go , she will not press for more information .

[color=red]Pacto de Toledo, one of the magi at that covenant is up to something. I need to find out who and why. I have told you about my past and my infamous master, have I?

Last chance for any and all questions before I drop you into Toledo.

You might want to discuss a basic plan for what you want to do.

==========================
On the road to Toledo, several days out of Santiago de Compostela, a hawk (Goshawk) lands on Roberto's shoulder ( I'm sure starting him a little). It has a note attached to the leg. Roberto mentions that Santiago's Covenant has a great interest in falcons so this could be from him.

The bird flies off after the message cylinder is removed. It is sealed with Santiago's sigil.
++++++++++
Roberto,

I have just gotten word that Eleanora will be in Toledo. No doubt looking into this issue. Be on your guard.

Santiago

++++++++++++

Wirth.
[color=red]Oh. I see. What a wonder :unamused:

So. Sure, we have a way to enter Toledo. But what then? We need to find a way to stay long enough to inquire, but how will we detect the... well, the bad guy? :laughing:

Santiago gave me a number of books to offer in trade, giving us a reason to visit.

I also ask Wirth and Iolar what they think a good approach would be. I hide nothing of myself from my sodales, but I keep Santiago's secrets in confidence

[color=green]Wirth

[color=red]That's the question.
Sure, we can enter the covenant. But we need to stay long enough.
More importantly, how can we find the intriguant? Simple enmity to Santiago ain't enough.
We could of course pass as ennemies of santiago... If we weren't associated with him.

[color=green]Marcello:

[color=red]Didn't You say that Santiago thought that the Jerbiton who gave this information was being used? What did you say he called her? Flighty? Perhaps she is a gossip.

[color=green]Iolar
[color=red]"Gossip I am good at, but I am not sure I will be much help in coming up with cunning intrigue and schemes of subterfuge. Perhaps one of us could have a public falling out with Roberto , perhaps that would mean someone would try and recruit us for their scheme but that sounds a little silly to me

[color=green]Kilica

Does not seem to have any suggestion as to how to approach the problem

Gossip will probably be quite effective. Start chatting it up, mention how I am trying to live down the reputation of my infamous master, and get them to start talking about Las Navas. Once they demonstrate knowledge, casually inquire where they got it from. Instead of a public faux-fight, why not pretend you are quietly plotting?

PS, I am still recovering, but I am making an effort to catch up and get bback up to speed.

I am feeling better every day. Lets get this thing fired up again.