Chapter 6: Sangria in Toledo

We will move to Toledo shortly. i've had a delay because of a sick child I have to care for. I'll post something tonight or tomorrow to get it moving.

cool :smiley:

Roberto and company arrive in Toledo at mid morning. Marcello heads off to find the Covenant house while the rest head toward the market and the Cathedral ( where they will meet Marcello).

The most striking thing for everyone ( except Roberto ) is the mixture of Arabs in the crowds. For every stall of a Spaniard, there is a stall of a Arab. The group passes a mosque and a synagogue on the way to the market.

After spending some time in the market, Marcello can be seen coming through the crowd like a moving mountain through the sea.
[color=green]
Marcello:
[color=red]
Well, I found the Jerbiton's house and talked to their Steward. I think they will be happy to see us but we can not stay in the house. It appears that a Quaesitor is their guest at the moment. They do have a guest house near by which we are to stay. I will lead you to it. The Steward said he would come by and make arrangements for dinner this afternoon.

Roberto takes the time to explain the multicultural aspects of his homeland. Some of the folk that look Arabic are actually Christian and Visgothic. They are called Mozarabs (in the future anyway, no such term exists yet). Roberto's mother was such a person. There are also Visgothic Moslems, as well as Arabs and Africans. There is a variety of Moors of African descent, most are Moslem but not all. Jews have always had their own little niche, and are vital for comerce. In fact, one of the laws of the land is to keep peace on the roads, travellers are free to go regardless of nationality or religon. It is vital for commerce.

Anyway, in response to Marcello...

[color=red]A Quaesitor, eh? Did you happen to catch his name or the purpose of his visit? Is he from Duresca or somewhere else?

[color=red]He did not say a name but it is a woman because the Steward used 'she' in describing her. That is all the information I have.

Iolar clearly has trouble with the various cultural and religous distinctions between the local people. Best summed up with [color=red]But I though they where all supposed to be worshipping the same God ? So what is all the difference about?

[color=red]It is the same God, just worshiped in different ways. For all these different religons, they still worship one and the same God, the Creator of all things. I am not a theologian, so I cannot adequately explain it (though Markoko could :slight_smile: )[color=red], but as far as I know the Jews came first and Jesus was Jewish. Christ came to bring salvation to Jews and Gentiles alike. Islam is descended from Ishmael, the brother of Israel, and they venerate Christ as a prophet.

Marcello leads the group to the guest house:

[color=red] I did not give them names. I said Magi from Novus Main were visiting and which to talk to their Hermatic brothers and sisters.

To Roberto:

[color=red]Do you want to stay in the house? They may know your link to Santiago. If you are going to try to just gossip with them they might not be talkative. On the other hand if you wish to confront them it will not matter.

[color=red]I figure Iolar can engage in the gossip, as ladies are more naturally suited to such. I will engage in library trade and ask for scribal hospitality. My presence alone should start people whispering and talking.

[color=blue]OCC: my link to Santiago and our deeds during the Shadow Wars would be well known to many in Iberia I would think. But my Infamous Master would be even more well known.

Marcello leads the group to a of a style they have never seen before ( with the exception of Roberto). A house mainly built with bricks, with a large courtyard and many arches in the Islamic style.

They are greeted by servants and shown to rooms where they can refresh themselves. A lunch is served with foods and spices that all ( but Roberto) have never tasted ( saffron, almonds, and peppers). Much of the meal would be ( what we call today) Tapas.

After the meal you have the afternoon to yourselves. A man shows up late in the afternoon and talks to Marcello. He is the steward of the Jerbiton's house. He is extending a dinner invitation for the Magi tonight. The meal will not start until after 8 this evening.

((If you wish to ask a question of the Steward now is a good time))

[color=red]Ah! Some good food, finally! For a year I have been choking down that bland Flemish food. This is eating! (Roberto monges out like a man who hasn't had a proper meal in a long time, sampling the many different tapas we are served and drinking local wine. Then he talks to the steward) [color=red]We gratefully accept the invitation to dinner, good man. Perhaps you could tell us which members and other guests will also be attending the dinner?

Iolar will sample a wide range of foods , being used to a variety of unnusual diets back at her home covenant and having fed well on a careless Hare before reaching the city. She shows every sign on enjoying the different cultures and sights of the journey here.
[color=red]"Please tell us which of our fellow mages we will be meeting, it is so nice to know who one will talking with particularly when
Shooting a look out of the corner of her eye at Roberton
[color=red]... it apparently one's natural role in life

(Of course this presumes the Steward speaks Latin)
(Iolar is not certain if Roberto's comment about gossip should be taken as an insult or not)

OCC, keep in mind that Roberto is somewhat sexist, though indeed far more open and liberal that the average medevial man. After knowing him for the past year, Iolar would know not to be personally insulted, but may still get annoyed by it.

If confronted, Roberto would explain that he believes that women have superior social skills and communication than men do, then smile meekly.

And next time she calls him Robertron, he is going to breakdance and do the robot :laughing:

I have no idea why I keep mistyoing that,, obviously that is Iolar's accent.

She isn't particularly offended with Roberto, although he will occasionally catch her looking at him with an odd expression of thought on her face when she thinks his attention is elswhere

Maybe she can sense that Roberto has Mastery over the Funk! (I am a hobby DJ :laughing:)

[color=green]Steward:

[color=red]Alianora is hosting the dinner. Leolinus is at the house but I was not sure if he would attend. [[there is some tension in the Steward's voice and body]]

[color=red]Zhalore has been invited and has accepted. Xpianus is not in town.

(OCC which are member magi and what houses are they again? I forgot)

(OCC and I presume one of these guys is the visiting Quaesitor. Xpianus is the Tytalus, the other two are Jerbiton (including the one I need to keep an eye on), so I presume that Zhalore is the visiting Quaesitor? Oris it Leolinus?

Zhalore = Zhalore Bakr al-Tartushi sahir of Ex Miscellanea
Leolinus = Leolinus ex Jerbiton
Alianora = Alianora ex Jerbiton
Xpianus = Xpianus ex Tyalius

Please refer to your playbill for the actors :smiley:

Gracias Senior :smiley: