Chapter 6: The Homefire

It is only one house, he needs several shields just for that one house.

Let's shake things up a bit. A fight breaks out in the town between some of the mundane workmen building the houses and a family of locals. The locals, the VanWadden family, lives in an old decrepit house that the workers want to tear down to make room for new construction. Joseph VanWadden, father of the house, refuses to move. His family has owned the house for three generations. But they don't own the land anymore, the covenant does. Aelianus hears of the commotion, but too late. Joeseph VanWadden has struck one of the workers on the head with a club and dashed his brains out on the ground. The dead worker is named Gustav, from Germany. His friends are outraged and want to kill the guy. Joseph and his family have baricaded themselves in the house, and there are three workers who are setting it ablaze. The Home Fire.

Halvard is alerted by Clara de Langhe, one of the young runners that Halvard and Mistress Boone are helping to train, As he comes out he can see that the house is partially on fire.
+++++++
[color=blue]Spontaneous casting of leap of flame target 25 to move the fire from the house onto a block of stone that the masons have be shaping.

spell level 10. tech = 5, Form = 7 aura =6 sta=2 Casting roll 20.
die roll is a 24 link to roll

(( I feel that my luck will be giving me false confidence for Spontaneous spells in the future))
+++++++++++++
Halvard tells Clara to fetch Mistress Boone.
(to the masons)
[color=red]Please explain why you are burning building with a family still inside.

These guys are not the masons, they are a small group of the carpenters building the fifty wooden hoses Alianus ordered. The stonemasons are a separate group here with the Tremere magus from the Pillar of Hiram.

Anyway...
[color=green]Carpenters: [color=red]Because that damn bastard in there killed Gustav! The land isn't his, the house is a piece of $#!+, and he could have moved into one of the new homes without an argument. But no! He fought with Gustav and killed him!. (points over to the body of Gustav laying on the ground, whose head is cracked open and brains are oozing out of his skull)

Yelling into the house:

[color=red]Joseph? Is this true? Did you kill a carpenter who was working on the site?

++++++++++++

Can you make a quick description of the house?

[color=red]They will take my house over my dead body! That lousy German started the fight, he deserved what he got!

[color=red]It is not your house Joseph. It is the Covenant's house. Send your family out Joseph. No need to endanger them.

[color=red]It is MY house! It was my father's house, and his father's house, and my great-grandfather's house! My Great grandfather built this house with his own blood and sweat, my family has worked in this village for generations feeding you people, and this is how we are repaid? Who made you satan worshipers our lords and masters anyway?

as a side note, it was Walter who owned the mortgage and sold it to the covenant as part of the financial wheeling and dealing. Walter is the WaMu of the 12th century (I am usuing parellism :smiley:).

[color=red]You will have this house over our dead bodies! In the window he is shouting from, you can see his two sons standing stalwart at his side.

Is the house stone or wood?

Wood.

And as a further not, (Dragor ran and grabbed Walter, just to make things flow), the mortgage went default many years ago back during the decline years of Novus Mane. No one ever bothered to do anything, and by tradition the covenant accepted his work as a fishermanin excahnge for letting him continue to live there. When the fishing trade wend kaput, Joseph was working alongside the pirates to help feed the community. And, in fact, the (ex) piates have started to gather around as well and they are grumbling discontentedly. Reginald is trying to calm them down, but he is clearly having little luck. Someone shouts that [color=red]"We ought ta hang these bastards!" (in reference to the carpenters).

Aelianus takes the Creo vis and accept to enchant a few rooms for payment in vis.

Aelianus approaches the location with Diodorus at his feet. Both of them are trying to look as intimidating as they can but Diodorus is the most successful clutched is Aelianus right hand is his fire wand. Before approaching the location he has cast a personal range Aura of ennobled presence (casting total of 19+2 from dice with all bonuses as he cast the spell up on the hill and using vivid gestures and loud voice. Dice roll http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1746466/ ) Once down at the scene Aelianus speaks in his most authoritarian voice. [color=red]No one hangs anyone! We will seize this criminal and take him to court. Diodorus stays at Aelianus feet trying to intercept anyone if they make a move against his pet magus.

Someone from the gathering crowd lobs a rock at Aelianus. They miss, but that is the match on the powder keg. A riot breaks ou. Small riot, native locals attacking the out of town workmen. Suddenly and surprisingly, Reginald is forced to show his true colors. With bold gestures and loud incantations, he casts a spell of sleep on one of the rioters. then again and again, trying to stop the violence. Carpenters and natives are bboth rioting, and the violence spreads rapidly.

I was wrong about Reginald. He is not paralyzing people, he is using The Call to Slumber to put them to sleep. I edited my post above. It is an inefficient tactic, but it is something. He knocked out Fred the pirate leader before he got involved. He knocks out Heinrich, the largest and most violent of the carpenters. He smiles and shrugs and says “[color=red]I have a magic ring :slight_smile:”. Even though it’s obvious, he keeps on acting as if his cover isn’t blown. This is an unexpected emergency situation that has simply gotten out of hand. His first priority is to see to the success of his mission. He contemplates explaining himself to the magi or perhaps to simply disappear after this is all over and assume a new cover.

In retrospect, it may have not been so wise to drastically alter the town as rapidly as we have been doing.

I think you are giving them too many liberal ideas for this time.

When the riot starts, Halvard will cast Rain of Stones(roll27) on the crowd. Anyone charging Aelianus or Halvard will cause Charge of the angry wind(roll=23 to be cast.

If the Riot does not break up with the rain of stones then a pirate not (Reginald or Jan) will get picked out to receive Pilum of Fire (roll= botch).

Bottom line. You will listen to the land owners ( or those with the power) or you will be punished. No is not an option in this discussion.

Ideas are a bit liberal, but recal that this is a town of criminals and outlaws. They are independent minded and sort of off kilter to begin with. The rain of stones does disperse the crowd though (a PoF would have been a horribly bad idea). And you forget, the carpenters started the fighting. One of them got his head bashed in (you should check onhm to make sure he is dead), but everyone who witnessed it will swear that they started it.

As far as who the rightful land owners are, well, that is a tricky question. And the magi do not have any legal authority over the village. That was established early on. Rememer when Roberto wanted to annex the town and everyone voted the idea down?

Reginald stands there smiling. [color=red]Um, I have a magic ring, see? (he shows you his gold ring).

As a parent of more than one kid I can truly say, I do not care who started it! I have zero authority over the carpenters. I have great authority over the "town folk". If the town folk do not like it they can move. I'm sure, that by building new houses and fishing boats, we can get others, with no ties to this land, to move here and start over.

We voted down the idea of having the town folk have a vote at the table. and until someone kicks us off this land we have authority.

See? Parent's just don't understand. These are not children though, and there is a body on the ground. Big difference

Incorrect. You have no authority over the town at all. Only recently did the covenant buy up some of the available property. But that is only a fraction of the homes here. For example, Betty VanHalen owns her house outright, and the magi have no authority there. Walter owns his own house also.

Indeed. But that is part of the problem.

You voted both propsals down. I can dig up the archives :smiley:. The town and covenant are two separate entities.

Still, don't get bogged down in all that. I just wanted some minor conflict to result from the drastic changes to shake up things a bit, and to force Reginald to expose his true nature. That is the real story here.

Diodorus releases his tension and stop arching his back and hissing as the crowd disperse. Aelianus approaches Reginald with Diodorus at his feet. [color=red]That where some impressive spell casting. A short pause for increased drama. [color=red]Are you a member of the order or from where have you gotten a magical ring of such power. If you are not a member of the Order then you know full and well that I can investigate you in any manner that I like. Aelianus holds a firm grip of his wand. [color=red]Now identify your self.

[color=red]He knows Parma. That is for sure. You did not see him ducking from my Rain of Stones. None of them hurt him or even touched him.

[color=green]Reginald: (in French)[color=red]Yes, um, the magic ring...; Aw crap. (switches to Latin)[color=red] Can we discuss this somewhere in private?