Chapter 6a A time of Wolves

Justus can sense that the spirits left to the north the same direction the wolves came from , the impression is more that something pulled them back as soon as they where driven from the bodies they where possessing.

Mariella seems exhausted (lost all fatigue levels), she also seems very pale and to Krispin it looks as if her humours are out of balance with much of her sanguine humour drained. From his own knowledge of Hermetic magic it is clear that one spontaneous spell would not normally cause such a large amount of fatigue and indeed should not be able to cause that much fatigue.

[color=red]Krispin do you think that we can leave Mariella in the care of the covenfolk? I think that we should hunt after this spirit as soon as we can. I need to rest awhile and gather up some supplies. I will take some ceremonial magic props. I have a spell that will help us track but it wilol only work until sundown. We must hurry.

[color=blue]It is actually just after sun set , so you have until Dawn for sun Duration effects.

[color=red]We go then. We have then on the ropes. Press our advantage before they reorganize and strengthen themselves.

[color=blue]Krispin is certain that Mariella is just exhausted and will be in no danger from being left in the cair of the covenfolk. There is nothing hermetic magic can do much about the exhaution and she won't be capable of much activity without 5 ot 6 hours rest unless there is supernatural inteference. I presume the magi are taking some grogs and setting out to follow the spirits to their destination leaving Mariella in the care of the covenfolk.

Correct as far as I go. Justus just rest for a moment and take some ceremonial magic props with him and a staff.

Justus , Krispin and Ardeth set off following Justus's trail of the spirits. It turns out that the wolves clearly came from this direction as well as their trail leads in the same direction.

Both trails come together at a stand of trees. The trees are in a dense group and seem to have a dark and foreboding air about them. Justus can sense a magic aura around the trees and both he and Ardeth think they can see a regio boundary just within the borders of the stand of trees.
There is a path leading into the grove , the tree's themselves have unseasonal red berries on them and are surrounded by thorn covered undergrowth.

[color=red]It seems we have reached our destination. Be ready. I want the grogs around us, ready to strike at the wolves while we target the spirits with magic. Too bad my knowledge of parma is unsufficient to protect them, we'll have to make do.
[color=blue]
I spont/rest/spont the following spells:

• A lvl 10 simple ward against metal strikes, to keep metal at bay under my conscious control: Base 4, +2 sun (casting being half of 17+2 gestures and voice + aura + die)
  • A lvl 04 Ward against animal attacks: Base 2, +2 sun (casting being half of 10+2 voices and gestures + aura + die)

With their shield grogs around them the magi move into the grove. As they move forward they cross the regio boundary and see the lair of the wolves is within the regio. However there are no wolves present , the tree's here are greener and have more of the unseasonable berries , as well as being prickly and covered in spines.

Justus beleives that he can sense vis within the berries. Ardeth thinks that as the path spirals ahead there is a second regio boundary.

As the magi survey the grove and the wolf lair , Krispin stumbes momentarily overcome by a vision of a dark shadowy figure stalking the covenant , He see's blood draining away , knives and a flying stone sled. The vision is gone after just a moment

Justus follows Ardaths example and cast a spell that will protect him from animal attacks. [color=red]Soldaes we seem to be in a regio and there seems to be some vis here. Perhaps we have found a new vis source. We must stick together so that the wolves won’t harm us. First we walk through these level of the regio and then we can try to find more levels. There seems to be a magical aura here… Perhaps we can conquer this regio and use it for our own purposes later.

[color=blue]OOC: Justus spell is ReAn Base 2 +2 for sun duration. Total level 4 and Justus ReAn total is 8 so anything but a botch…

Krispin stops dead is his tracks. [color=red]Sodales, I've just had a vision, and I believe it means danger at the covenant. Methinks we should return there at our earliest opportunity.

As he looks around Krispin realises that the trail behind the group has closed . There is no obvious way back they came

[color=red]Krispin are you sure that we shall abandon our task now…? We should fight our foe as we have sent them bruised and bloodied here. We have an advantage but it won’t last. I say we hunt the spirit that has been hunting us and then we return. I could use wizards leap to return quite fast. For starters let’s take an arcane connection to his site. Justus looks for something that would do as an arcane connection, a branch or a stone.

Justus is easily able to gather a branch from one of the tree's although the sharp spines on it make it a somewhat painful task

Krispin looks pensively at the trail behind them. [color=red]Even if we wanted to abandon our task, Justus, it seems that that has just become more difficult. Still, I think we should return sooner rather than later. Visions are seldom wrong, though often misunderstood. I saw blood and knives and the covenant, which makes me... uneasy.

[color=red]Let me see...

Muttering words of power, ardath clap her hands, and her eyes flash briefly with light as she casts her "eyes for vis" spell.
[color=red]
Anyway, a magical regio could be very usefull to us, we should keep track of this place and its aura.

Hearing of krispin's visions...
[color=red]
I say we go on, at least until we see what's ahead of us. I trust your visions, but we must end this threat once and for all, hence it follows us at home. But enough talk: Follow me!

Keeping her eyes open, Ardath follows the path into the second regio layer.

The mages move forward along the trail and pass through the regio boundary where they find themselves in a clearing in a forest with other trails leading off the clearing. The ground beneath them is clear of snow but very damp and boggy. Looking down they realise the ground beneath their feet oozes blood with every step they take.
The tree's again have sharp thorns and red berries her though little trickles of blood ooze along their trunks and drip from the thorns

(Aggressive personality traits are increased by 2 and the aura is 8 )

Looking around in more detail it appears that there are three trails ouf of the clearing , East, West and South the South trail seems to go downhill but the havy overhead leaf cover and a layer of mist above the tree;s limits visibility.
The first animal life anyone has seen within the regio can be seen a raven is sitting on a branch wathcing the group. To Justus it is obvious that the Raven has magic might while to Ardeth it is obvious that the Raven is a spirit.
A wolf can be heard howling but there is no way to tell from which direction the noise comes

[color=red]Soldaes we can just pick any trail we have no clue which path is the right one so we might just try one. I suggest the path that goes south. Perhaps we shall see if we first could ask that raven. First I like to make sure what we are dealing with. Justus will try to comprehend the magic of the raven.

The Raven is a spirit , rather than a flesh and bllod raven with a might of about 10. It is related to the spirits which where possesing the wolves earlier although it is not the same type of spirit. Justus would say that it belogns to the same tradition of magical spirits.