Chapter 8: The Bone Merchant

...still...concentrating...
...must...focus...atention... :angry:

:smiley:

Well, he was in this from the start, since the wife insisted the help the mundane. And well, his better half was right.
But his son and wife? A sea travel, where he's almost powerless??? Are you mad??? Better them stay at the covenant, under kilica's protection!

I just like to be sure :smiley:

After halberd has cast his spell, Iolar will try to break the waves in front of the ship

Halvard targets a 20 on his roll ( for chaotic Magic)
Re 5+Aq7+St2
1d10+14=21

So Iodar can fly down and part the waves before the boat. She would have to sweep in, part some waves and then up. The boat is going too slow for her to just fly in front just 3M off the ground.

Now Halvard must keep his concentration as well as Roberto.

[OOC: Too many irons in the fire right now. sorry for being slow]

Iodar is able to part the waves before they reach the ship. Even the large ones that are a full 3M higher than the deck of the ship. After an hour of this the waves seem to settle down a bit but Iodar can see what looks like a water spout forming ahead. Then two and then six more appear. They are forming from the water. Not linked to any tornado. They seem to have hostile intentions on the ship.

[color=red]...oh crap...

Looking grim

As you say. :imp:

Wirth concentrates, checking his spells...
Ensorcelled by Chaos... Not enough penetration...
Call to slumber? Maybe, but there's also the penetration
Thwarting the Thaumaturgical Threat? This could work.

As the spouts are clearly magical effects, I'll try to dissipate them using Thwarting the Thaumaturgical Threat (PeVi 15). This should cancel any magical effect of a level less than... 12,5 :frowning: But it's worth a try. I'll target a sprout, see if this works.

Iolar (Not Iodar) is wondering to herslef what they have got themselves into , they are helping rescue a girl from a hermetic magi for no reward and now either that hermetic magi is willing to risk being marched by throwing magical attacks at fellow magi or another supernatural force more powerful than they is tryong to kill them all. She tries to work out a way of rescuing any of her sodali's from the ineveitable wreck.
(I suspect the water spouts to be Aquam effects in which case I can do nothing , if I am wrong and they are auram effects I can try some magic)

Thwarting the Thaumaturgical Threat has no effect on the Water spout.

[edit] I put too many water spouts into play for theatrical sense. there are two water spouts not six.

:blush: Iolar :blush: sorry.

Johan redirects Roberto's direction several times as he tries to maneuver around the spouts but can not.

Johan:
They seem to be herding us to the south. As long as we move to the south or south west they seem to not threaten us but keep pace.

Halvard:
Who is this girl we are rescuing again?

You know, I just spen't a point of confidence to avoid doing this, but it now seems like the most reasonable solution.
Any chance on a refund?

Roberto takes the ship up higher, above the reach of the water spouts...

Moving it over here where it belongsā€¦
My Die Roll is a 7
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2234517/

I think Finesse is a Dex roll in ArM5, so thatā€™s +1. My Finesse score is 2, with a specialization in Precision (though I donā€™t think that applies here). So 7 +1 +2 is a 10.
AND two points of Confidence (which brings me down to only 1 left), gives me a grand total ofā€¦

16!

So if somehow this enemy does manage to roll well enough to hit me with one of his six waterspouts, killing us all in the process most likely, it is one hell of a wild ride!

OOC:Now I have cleared two of those previously mentioned "irons in the fire" we will get moving again. Sorry for the delay

Sir Richard hears Roberto swear in Spanish and then feels the boat heave upwards. The water sprouts move to intercept but the boat suddenly turns and jukes to dodge by one and then slip in between the pair as it continues to climb higher. A twist and a turn and the ship is in the clear. Halvard releases his concentration on his spell and looks back at the water spouts. They both seem to give up and collapse back into the water. The crew gives a cheer drowning out Iolar's warning shout. A jet of water launches from the surface of the ocean like a spear, heading for the ship. Iolar's warning gives some a chance to grab something before it hits the bottom of the ship. No damage is done but the ship pitches and rocks in the sky. With this Roberto loses his concentration (Botch) plunging the ship and all on it towards the water over 100m below ( with the exception of Iolar of course).

1d10+5=15

Everyone is falling. Screams are heard from many. Spells are started by the magi. Then suddenly, the magi find themselves in a room that looks like the council room at Novus Main but different. They are in their seats and their attention goes to a figure at on end of the table. Halvard sees it as a tall man with antlers coming from his head. Roberto sees an angel. Aelianus sees a image of Mercury. Iolar sees and Phoenix with a crown on it's head. Wirth sees and image of Clara that glows with and golden light.

"I had hoped that I would not have to interfere but the danger is too great for you to fail here. My action can only attract more attention to you and possibly bring other powers into play. Find the girl and stop the ceremony."

He pauses and you sense that you could ask a question if you wish.

Aelianus seem like he is about to say something then his face pales. Diodorusā€¦ His voice fades as he speaks. Where is Diodorus? He begin to look around himself in search of his white companion.

Mercury to Aelianus :
The children of Ubasti walk different paths. Have no fear for the guardian of your soul.

Then my Lord Mercury tell us what we must do and what we are facing. Aelianus seem more at ease now that he knows that Diodorus is safe. Any guidance would be most beneficiary to our cause.When we set out we believed that his was a mundane that neded to be saved from an other mundane. Our investigations revealed that there where some magic involved.

[color=red][size=70]Lord Mercury?...[/size]

[color=blue]Roberto is already suspicious. He figures what we are witnessing is an illusion of some sort. Either they are still falling or unconscious underwater and this is a dreamscape, or they were magically transported somewhere and they are being comforted by illusions. I clearly see the Archangel Michael, whom Alieanus just refered to as Lord Mercury. Perhaps the Verditiud is confused? Doubtful. And Michael would have admonished him for his mistake. Whoever this is, they have displayed a lot of power. But it seems that their purpose is to assist and comfort us.
Hmmmm....

[color=red]Where is the ship? Sir Richard? Johan and the other men, are they all right?

As a theurgist Iolar is not particularly suprised to encounter a great spirit which ever form she percieves it as, that a great spirit is involved in these particula events is not expected but she knows that they take an interest in humanity. Also she knows that she was not going to drown in the sea so she has no converns that this is some sort of death vision. She also knows it pays to be polite to such powerful beings
Calmly and in a politely respectful tone

Great spirit, could you tell us more of the ritual and its consequences so we can better guide our actions to meet your goals? I fear that our ignorance of the signifigance of these events and those opposed to us may cause us to fail in thwarting this ritual

She also keeps an eye on Roberto expecting some sort of Christian outburst from him at any time and hoping to head it off

OOC If it is a religous figure Iolar is meant to see it would probably be Diana/Artemis as that is the cult she is a member of but a good pagan she reveres most of the Romano-Greek Pantheon. To her the Phoenix is not a religous symbol merely an ancestor, although she does of course have a touch of ancestor worship from the mainstream Bjornear she is more of a cultist of Artemis

All of that is true but dark forces are at work. A powerful summoner and his apprentice oppose you as they and a noble that they have ensnared wish to perform a dark ceremony. You will have to face their creatures to win through.

Plunging towards the ocean as your are. Thus this meeting will be short.