Chapter 8: The Bone Merchant

[color=green]
Wirth[color=red]
No.
If we want to win our independance, we gotta do without them.

All but Reginald are around. He has not been seen for a month.

Iolar finds the convent without much problem. Getting the nuns to cooperate is another matter.

She arrives late in the afternoon and presents herself to the nuns and delivers her letter. She is allowed to join them for dinner if she wishes but she would sit apart from them. She is never left alone but no one is chatty with her. Finally, after dinner, a nun comes and tells her that the Mother Superior has said that she can not give anything to you. They feel bad about the loss of the girl and simply do not trust you. You may sleep in the common room ( but you can tell that they would like you to go).

Knew that would happen :wink:

Stupid Reginald, or whatever name he is using now. Hmmm...
I have Fred and Johan pick out the fastest ship we have. Then I talk to Sir Richerd to see what (if anything) he knows about the sailing arrangements of the kidnappers, perhaps a description of their ship or at least what port they would be sailing too.

[color=red]If we does not bring Florum some news and ask them for aid then how will we gain more information. Getting the sigil of the magus would be good. Is this a quesiatorial matter then? Meddling with the mundane seems like it is prohibited at times. If so we should be able to get their aid. Otherwise we have to follow up on some other leads… Iolar will return with some arcane connection and then we have something to go on. Other than that we are a bit lost…

Aelianus ponders for a moment. [color=red]Perhaps we can get some aid with astrology. Aelianus shine up. We could take some time and write a horoscope for this mundane’s daughter and that will at least be helpful if we need even more penetration power to scry for the missing daughter. We just need some information that the father should be able to provide. Now are we sure that we does not break the hermetic law, I wouldn’t like to fend of charges for helping a mundane.

The "ships" you have are really boats for fishing. Not suitable to sail across the Channel.

Sir Richard never made it to Calais. The magic confused and disheartened him so he would not make it. You would have to do some detective work (or magic) to figure out where they went.

We have at least two. The one is the ship that we captured back a few years ago when we had to rescue the pirates from a bungled hijacking. That is the ship we used to sail to Spain :wink:. Plus we also have that other ship they captured, the one with stuff belonging to another magus that we returned to them.

Aelianus once the magi are assembled: [color=red]What do you my soldaes think is the best course of action? Where do we begin?

Iolar does indeed leave after inquiring of the mother superior is she normally seeks to aid the kidnappers of innocent children or is this a new line of business for her and her cult.

She then takes to the air and flies off a short distance until she is outside the dominion aura of the convent. then landing she uses a MuIm Spell to assume the appearence of a nun
Mu Im (7 +(4*2) + 1(ceremonial casting) 16+ dice roll
invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2092726/
total 20 gives level 10 for a personal version of Diguise of the visage(Normally MuIm15 but touch 10)
She will then using the disguise return to the convent , go to the girls room and secure something that looks like a personal item a hair comb would be ideal as that will have hairs.

I sure hope this works for ya! The biggest inhibitor will be your Gift, which will cause automatic distrust and ill will. That and no one will recognize you. I mean, all the nuns know each other :wink:. Think of a good story and use some Mentem or Imaginem to boost your credibility.

And the Cult comment :laughing:
Harsh, but I understand why Iolar would say that. Still, insulting the local clergy is somewhat unwise. I hope you didn't tell them where you were from :smiley:

I was hoping the nuns tended towards hoods on their robes and then as they are probably under a rule of silence I just look like I know what I am doing and no problem as they won't have a chance to really interact with my gift.

Let me give you some details and you can modify your approach.

The nuns are not under a vow of silence ( at least they you could see). they dress simply, using scarfs to cover their heads ( called a wiple ). A convent is a closed society. A new nun would be noticed. It is also an ordered society with things like prays happening at the same time every day. If you spend time watching the Convent you would be able to figure out when all of the nuns are going to pray but not know how long they would be there.

you also have no idea where the girl might have slept. If it is a Cult then you might want to check in the cellar. :smiley:

You may decide on how much Iolar knows about how these Convents function.

The Jerbiton's ship and cargo was returned ( I thought). If not then we will have some other adventure on that one soon.

But I did forget about the Cog. The Cog will be readied to leave. Johan wants to know where are they going?

:smiley:

Sure, we returned the Jerbiton's ship. We have the cog (which needs a name :smiley:).
[color=red]We will be more sure of our destination once Iolar returns. But as far as I know, we are headed to England.
Hey, wasn't ugly Pete English? So was Reginald I seem to recall. Those wacky Brits :laughing:

No British yet. You have English, Scots(Lowlanders and Highlanders) , Welsh and you could say Cornish , Normans, and Irish . The nobility still speak French and Edward I has yet to finally settle the welsh barbarians or humble the scots.
You really don't get British until James I or later. (Some people would argue against being British now)

Arthur was King of the Britons, until those wild and crazy English moved in and renamed the place :laughing:

[color=blue]OOC Life would be so much easier if I was a skilled Mentam maga or could cast invisibility
With Disgusie of the new visage I should be able to look like one of the nuns I saw at least enougth like them that I should be ok unless someone actually bothers me but I figure If I look like I am on business and know what I am doing no one will bother me.

For some reason I thought that we had a description of the Convent from the girls father , I could well be wrong

(Iolar knows almost nothing about convents they seem silly to her, holy women hunt animals throught the wilderness these are just silly)

[color=blue]
OOC: the problem with this format. My understand was that you were to carry a letter from Sir Richard to the Mother Superior.

You are correct.
I thought that I had talked to Sir Richard got adescription of the place and a letter of introduction asking the Mother superior to help find his daughter. I then took the letter asked for their help , got told to get lost, insulted them , and went away to try and sneak back