Chapter 9: The Man with the Golden Scythe

[color=red]Is that so, eh? Well, let's see what you got. Up for a little friendly Certamen? Just for sport :wink:.

Alessio will raise an eyebrow to this....

You know, this place seems full of people that are surprisingly willing to engage is violent undertakings so very quickly.....but, well, if you wish. I assume this being just for sport the victor shall forgo the free spell at its conclusion?

[color=red]What? Are you some kind of a wimp? Or perhaps you not hear correctly when I said I am of House Flambeau? We can play Dimicatio if you want, or Test of the Flames :smiley:
I am trying to go easy on you. Certamen is a non violent means of displaying power. When it is for sport or tournament, the "victory" spell is usually waived.
Tell you what, I'll even let you choose the first Art. Pick a Technique or Form, any that you choose.

I promise not to hurt you :smiling_imp:

Prehaps I did overlook the fact your a Flambeau....its not your fault your paren happened to be of that house.... :mrgreen:

So then, guess I'll choose Mentem

:imp:
[color=red]Hold up. What do you mean by a wisecrack like that? What are you? House Jerbiton? That's right, the house of painters and poets. Well, while you girls sit in safe comfort with your knitting, the men of House Flambeau are the ones laying their lives on the line so you can enjoy such privileges. Need I remind you that mine is the noble house that saved the Order of Hermes during the Schism War. The word Flambeau has a dual meaning. I torch can bring destructive flame or creative Light. Sometimes a little of each. And need I further remind you that it was Reculed Seneca, the birth name of my founder, it was Reculed that gave the Order of Hermes the strength it needed to form in the first place. Only he had the strength and courage to kill Varstus, to defeat the necromancers of Varidian's tomb, and to defeat over fifty hedge wizards and witches that were crule oppressors of the innocent.

But enough. You are young and have much to lern, and I will be glad to teach you. In Iberia, I had known several warrior Jerbiton magi who fought as knights. Not my style, I am a foot soldier. But there is a niche you can fill.

On with the Certamen. What Art did you choose? I think you said Ignem?
:smiley:
(OOC - You came this close to a punch in the nose for the slur against House Flambeau, but I decided Roberto would not be that much of a Dk to a guy he just met and who seems as soft as the first impression you gave him).
:laughing:

Deaf as as well dum.....nevermind....

Mentem was what I said. I realise your gasp of Latin is a little rough, but still, surely you know the names of the Arts in Latin beyond Creo and Ignem?

Alessio is having a right laugh, but will calm down a little....

Sorry, I sometimes let myself go a little too far. Yes, yours is a great and wonderful house, and protects the order and all etc etc. Let me just say that after my last encounter with a Flambeau, I have a distinct dislike of your founder's particular style of magic...

And your are quite correct, I would quite happily avoid any and all conflict. A fine glass of wine accompanyed by a fine young lady to pass the time is far more enjoyable.

Before you two get going with that certamen I shall introduce myself, I am Aelianus Robur Ex Verditius and this is my familari Diodorus. Welcome to our covenant. Aelianus looks for a servant. Make sure that a meal worthy a guest is prepared at the main council chamber, we are hungry. Then he turns back. Once you are done Roberto it would be most interesting to try my own skills against you in a friendly game of certamen. I could even try you favourite arts of creo and ignem.

Alessio will give Aelianus a slight nod

A pleasure to meet you Aelianus Robur, of House Verditius

Seeing the magi descending into the chaos typical of their kind the Red Cap quietly makes his exit having delivered his message and planning to spend his evening in a comfortable inn somewhere with no mages around.

Oh man, you are flirting with disaster :laughing:

Oh my! It appears we are both Latino! Spanish versus Italian. :smiley:
[color=red]I know what you said. I was trying to make space for you to try and earn my respect after your insult. But it appears that I will have to teach you respect. The hard way.
Have you ever dueled in Certamen before? Traditionally, the guy who picks the first Art is supposed to choose a Technique. But that doesn't matter, this is not a formal challenge or duel of consequence. But in either case, your opponent has the right to refuse your first choice, requiring you to choose another Art which he can then not refuse.
So, pick again

[color=red]Maybe your problem is that you have a knack for pushing people's buttons, and you talked smack to the wrong Flambeau magus.
But what do you know of Reculed's style of magic? I am curious to know. And what don't you like about it? His style was Mercurian-Hermetic. Are you a Hedge Wizard or something?

[color=red]You are mistaken if you think I seek out conflict. The purpose of conflict is to put an end to conflict, so you can go back to wine and women, to friends and family, and enjoy life in peace. But there are enemies that constantly seek to disrupt the Pax Hermetics, the Hermetic Peace. War is something that is to be endured,not enjoyed. War is so unpleasant, so desolate, that it must at all costs be kept away from one's home, and the noblest fate that a man can endure is to place his own mortal body between his loved home and war's desolation.
But then there are magi such as yourself. Those who think the deserve life's pleasures without toil, without sweat, and without tears. We magi, we consider ourselves a sovereign authourity onto ourselves. My belief is that the sovereign franchise is the ultimate form of human authority. I believe that all who wield it should accept the ultimate in social responsibility, and each person who wishes to exert authority within the Order should be willing to wager his own life, and lose it, if need be to save the life of the Order. The maximum responsibility a magus can accept is thus equated to the ultimate authority a magus can exert.

A Philosopher I see. Very eloquent.

That is all very good, but what if a man does not want power. And what if the threat you must stand against can not be fought through steel or magic. There are some things niether will solve. Are you so ready for them I wonder?

You presume that I desire your respect through Certamen? There are many things I do respect, some more than other. But brute force is not one of them. And I chose my earlier words on purpose, they were not a mistake I must cower to undo.

Alessio has lost his jovial attitude, but is enjoying the discussion...

As for your Founder's style, I know little about it myself, but I have been on the recieving end of it. One of your fellow house mates is an overeager brute. None the less, I admitt that it would have been my place to choose a technique, but as you offered any Art, so I chose any Art. So then, would you prefer I continue with from second choice from within the Forms, or you would prefer it to be more traditional and taken from among the Techniques?

[color=red]These words are not my own. I am merely quoting from the philosophy of Reculed Annaeus Seneca, known to you as Flambeau the Founder.
(OOC - Actually, I am paraphrasing Robert A. Heinlein, from his comments in response to the criticism of the novel "Starship Troopers".

[color=red]Why did you become a magus then? You also have a limited definition of the word "power", and you are also misquoting me. I never said "Power". I said Authority, as in personal sovereignty and the right to have a sovereign vote amongst magi. If you do not with to have this, then I will gladly take your sigil from you and demote you to an apprentice. Or a slave. Here me in this. A man who trades Liberty for Security deserves and receives neither. And there is no such thing as Natural Rights. Rights and Freedom belong only to those who are willing to step up and claim them, those who are willing to speak out against oppression and injustice and willing to fight for these principles.

[color=red]Again, you demonstrate a lack of wisdom, a limited definition of words, and the mindset of a submissive slave.
There are other weapons than steel and magic. As for magic, it has both direct and indirect application in a struggle. But it appears your tiny mind can only conceive of a singular direct application of magic as a weapon.
And there other weapons. The greatest weapon is the human heart, and next to that it is the mind. Words can cut down a tyrant as surly as steel, and the power of people united is an awesome force.
And if I were to encounter an enemy that could not be overcome by any resource at my disposal, then I stand my ground and die with dignity. The very least I can do is sell my life to purchase the time needed so others can find a solution.
And I would also point to the example of the 300 Spartans. They were all slaughtered, to the man, yet they still achieved victory. How? The tale of their courage, why they were willing to sacrifice their lives; this provided the inspiration the Greeks needed in order to unite against the Persians.

[color=red]Would you prefer a fistfight then? You insulted me and my House. Not a very wise action for one seeking membership in my covenant. And I no longer care what you desire. You need to learn respect before you can receive it.

[color=red]Really? That is your whole issue? So, can you point out a House that has nothing but innocent lambs? Bonisagus himself had to kill his master Iohaz. I already mentioned I know Jerbiton magi that maintain the pretense of mundane nobility and serve as knights to the King of Castile. They avoid political entanglements through their ingenuity, I grant them that. But they have shed blood when it was needed. You must hate House Tytalus I am sure.
And it goes on.
So, you are willing to insult an entire House, including the man that stands before you whose hospitality you are seeking; all just because of a conflict with a single lone magus. A conflict you obviously survived, so it could not have been all that bad.

[color=red]That was before you chose to insult me, and instead of recanting or apologizing, you continued insulting me. Let me tell you this, if it was Wirth in my place, he would not be so patient with you.
This has turned into a formal Certamen duel, with the condition that you must serve as my shield grog for a period of one year.
I challenge you - Creo!

Now Alessio looks tired...

Not a chance. It will be dangerous for the both us if I try and be a shield grog. I have had my share of violence here already. And that has nothing to do with you. Though I admitt I may have overstepped my bounds.

I will submit owing you a boon for my insults, though my talents might not be suited to you. If by some chance I win, I hold you to nothing. Does that suit you?

Why oh why did you paint me into this corner? And why won't you give me a loophole to let you off the hoos? :unamused:
I will create my own :laughing:
[color=red]You sorely disappoint me. You are weak and ineffectual. Just get out of my way, I want to unpack my belongings
Roberto brushes past you, purposfully knocking into you with his shoulder and ignoring you for now :slight_smile:.

(OOC - sorry marko - I did have something lined up, but I've been at work all day and cant get access to the forums)..

Alessio will look very serious as he watches Roberto walk away...

I will apologise to him later, but it couldnt be helped. Sometimes the only way to see someones true colours are to push their buttons.

He will turn to Aelianus

I am sorry for that, but I wanted to see what sort of magi there might be here. After meeting that Reginald, I wasnt sure what the magi here might be like, and pushing buttons usually brings someones real personality to the surface. I wasnt even certain that he was not Reginald just using a simple disguise spell, but unless he is a truly great actor, I dont believe them to be the same person. He is a good man, with a good heart....

:wink:
And I didn't blow you up! See, Flambeau magi ain't all bad :smiley:

Excellent dramatic tension roleplaying though! That is the sort of roleplaying that deserves an extra confidence award!

Great fun :mrgreen:

Unless there is further signifigant conversation , we shall cut to the council chamber later that day where Aelinius has arranged a meal for the magi and a chacne to discuss their prospective new member and what if anything they can do about the news from the Red Cap

Welcome here… Aelianus draws for breath. Roberto has a temper and a love for mundanes but he is a good and loyal member of the covenant. I heard you mentioned that you have trouble with flambeau magi. Please walk with me. Aelianus gestures towards the grey tower. If not opposed he will walk with Alessio to Aelianus studio. Before they walk he turns to Diodorus attendant. Go and brush Diodorus fur and make sure that he gets some fine meat from the kitchen. Also make a visit to the tailor that dress is beginning to look old. As the fur brusher begin to carry Diodorus Aelianus turns back to Alessio. Now tell me of your trouble and why you have come here.

Gladly...

Several years ago, when I was younger and more foolish, I pushed a spell to far. I left the city for a seaosn, but when I returned, I found my spell had lasted much longer than I meant it to. I found the Doge wanted my head, so I fled the city, only to be hunted down by a Flambeau Hopilte, Verox, charged with interfering with the mundanes...

He could have killed me there and then, and almost did.....my shouts of surrender seemed to fall on deaf ears until it was almost too late. But surfice to say, I was charged. I managed to persaude the tribunal not to march me, but I was exiled....

I've been on the road for a couple of years now, seeking a new home. Such an experience has a sobering effect on ones self.

Alessio pasues, then nods in Robertos direction

I don't hold anything against his House, or any House for that matter. They are all part of our Order, each has a rich history and deserve respect...

Alessio continues to walk in silence....