Chapter IV (1234-1240)

Oh, silly me... Thanks for the heads-up!

In a way, I like this, we've got this big great charter, with some magi being confused by it whereas some are more up-to-date, discussions about revisions... I think it's very much in-setting :smiley:

:mrgreen:
If I recall accurately, we operated without a charter or resolutions when I ran this saga a few years ago. I wrote one up with our reboot (also a few years ago, but not as many), based of the sample charter in Covenants and adding the nuances of culture that make us unique. That is where that old membership rule came from.
The "instant journeyman" thing is a Sa Dragonera caveat. Antoine did it the hard way, served seven seasons as a pledge and is now a Journeyman with residence at Arans. The Sa Dragonera magi agree to stay on the islands as vigilant deputies for seven years. Roerto and Acutus resided there already and have no interest in relocating. Fleur likes her spot too.

Kesara votes to accept
So if there is no dissent, Guiverna is accepted.
Roberto speaks up...
[color=red]I motion that, with Guiverna accepted, we invite her in and continue the meeting. I would like to discuss organization and security of the Sa Dragonera Chapter. And we probably should talk about Bellaquin.

This earns him a sideway, appreciative glance from Arachné.
Go on. I like where you're going.

"Speaking of the security of Sa Dragonnera," Lucas interjects. "I wanted to raise a slightly tangential issue." He holds up a piece of paper with folds that show it's a letter. "I've been receiving increasingly vehement letters from Harco requesting that I relocate to Arans to help tend the Mercere guildhall here and the portals. I know that I committed to staying in Sa Dragonnera for seven years. But I felt that I should raise this issue in Council. Keeping up good relations with House Mercere is important, after all."

"If the Council agrees, then I would be willing to accede to Harco's request and relocate. That would free up my current quarters for one of the new magi. And, of course, I'm only a jump away from Sa Dragonnera. I'd be able to assist in any activities there."

"If the Council disagrees, however," He concludes, "then I shall keep to my promise and remain on Majorca. In that case I'll figure something to tell Harco to try and keep them happy in the short term."

Arachné raises a brow.
Softly,
You gave your word, knowing that this was likely to be an issue. What does this say about you?

OOC: if we are discussing the defense of Sa Dragonna, is this conversation taking place before Fleur's conversation with Camillus Aurelius, or after?

"It says I'm no pawn of House Mercere, but am devoted more to the safety of the covenant," Lucas replies. "I knew that Harco would prefer me to be in Arans, that's true," Lucas says. "But they generally accede to the wishes of the House magi in such matters. Uncharacteristically, they have proven to be less tractable this time. I had fully expected to be able to fulfill my duties in Sa Dragonera before relocating to Arans. With the portals, I visit here regularly and so I would still be able to assist the Mercere guildhouse. I'm frankly surprised by the vehemence of their response."

OOC: FWIW, the seven years requirement was decided upon after Lucas joined. Before that, the only mention I found anywhere was of a three year stay, which Lucas is mostly done with. So there's been a little bit of bait and switch here. Also, as a player, I'm kind of surprised at the reaction that Marko said House Mercere had.

[url]Questions of Residency - #71 by fightmaster]

(So before we go down this rabbit hole with Lucas too much, I think we need to revisit the thread Trogdor linked. Having read back through it, the last thing it looks like we all semi agreed upon was that they would have to spend 7 seasons at Sa Dragonera as "provisional" journeymen, after which they would become "normal" journeymen and could request a relocation to Andorra proper. If they spent another 3 years, it would count as one service toward becoming a Master. If that is the case, then Lucas is well within his right to request a transfer, but he may not get his "Master-level serivce" credit if it's been less than three years).

I am not sure. This meeting is right on the heels of the Dopplegangers story.

Roberto speaks to Arachne's nod.
[color=red]Three things actually. First, we need an Aegis. I have just learned that spell and can cast it myself. The expense of casting it over again at each chapter site is expensive, four pawns per magus. But I would like to try an experiment and cast it at the sone site in the center of the regio, around all the "vestiges" of the various labs that are located in it. Maybe that will cover everyone on their regio level.
Second, I would like the set up reorganized as a single united chapter, rather than the situation we have now with six or so micro-chapters. One budget, one shared staff, one security force.
As for security force, seeing as this supposed to be all one covenant and not a small covenant in submission to a large one, I want to mix forces. I return to the idea I had when I first came here. Discontinue mercenary contracts and hire select soldiers individually and directly. Take the best of them and form an elite, reform the Andorran Guard you had in days of old. Duty stations at Arans and Sa Dragonera will be by rotation, so no soldier becomes overly reliant on any one portion of the covenant.
And we needs officers. Carmen's brother, the former captain, he is off adventuring and I don't think he is coming back. Arnau and his Flame Brothers were called away to fight Saracens in Valencia. We need a new captain, perhaps a few lieutenants as well. Promote from within amongst the sergeants whom we have, then elevate those regular soldiers who qualify to sergeant.
And more training. One season every two years at least under Fausto the Swordmaster.

Sounds sensible to me. You do what you want with your vis, anyway, but I agree that you really need an aegis. For the soldiers... I've agreed before, and I agree again. Now, with Vibria on a leave, I'd like to propose what I wanted before, and, if you agree, elevate you to the position of Deputy Marshall.

On a more general note, I think it might be best for deputies to be selected from journey-wo-men who nonetheless stay in Sa dragonera. Not only does the island have its own problems, that the magi there will be better tasked to tackle than Andorran Magi, but it means that, should any harm befall a site, the survivors will have a structure to fall back on.

"We should probably develop some circular wards. A lot of the locations on Sa Dragonna are remote, and if we access them through gates, and don't make people the targets of the spells specifically, we could go years without breaking a circle."

"While we're on the subject of absent officers," Lucas adds, "I'd like to officially volunteer to be an assistant to the Herald. The Redcaps have been very receptive to my requests so far. But it really would help if I had some sort of recognized position when dealing with them. It doesn't matter so much at the guildhall in Andorra. But to the extent that I may deal with Redcaps elsewhere on behalf of the covenant, it might."

After some reflexion

I support both motions.

Acutus thinks for a bit before responding, "I'm not entirely certain that I would want a separate aegis cast over my sanctum, as that might only serve to alert other magi or supernatural creatures as to it's location. As it is, it's quite hidden and difficult for most to get to. However, the idea of an aegis over the region on Sa Dragonera does seem prudent, as that region represents essentially a backdoor into each our of sanctums.

As for the concept of a single chapter, I'm not sure that would work out for me either. I have no staff, and honestly prefer things that way. And there is really no need for a mundane security force for me, perhaps beyond a force at the region...although the aura at Sa Dragonera would warp any mundane soldiers we might deploy there for any significant period of time.

I do think there is a need for us to have some sort of organization for those of us stationed at Sa Dragonera, however. Ideally, it would make sense for there to be an alpha of the Chapter House if you will, perhaps a Master who is stationed there, to coordinate things such as ensuring someone is always in the area to watch the over our vis source and things of that nature."

[color=red]Not sure about the circle ward idea. I want to be able to cone and go and have a drink on the beach. That is why I moved to Ibiza in the first place.
With the Aegis, I want to cast it over the center part where the stone is. That is the part we are guarding. And I think the covenant should cover that expense. For my lighthouse, I don't mind casting my own Aegis in exchange for the personal freedon I enjoy there.
Then the offer to become deputy marshall. I don't know. Deputy to whom? Arachne, sure. That wet nosed broad that left just as I came in, that big breasted girl, Vibria I think her name was. Pup dog that's never seen real war. * No way I'm taking orders from her.

I appreciate you opinion of me, and I'd like working with you, but I'm afraid that won't be possible. I'm the warden, not the marshal.
While I agree that Vibria is young, she's not that much younger than you. You shouldn't dismiss her entirely. And anyway, your experience would be an asset to her.

The old witch tends to agree with Roberto, and thinks he'd be a better marshal than Vibria (judged unfairly)... But she thinks she should support her fellow mistress before the journeymen: If there's a matter to be discussed, it's with Vibria first (What does she thinks of her duties?), the masters second. Also, in Mythic Europe patriarcal society, she thinks that women should try to side together. Last but not least, so long as Vibria is attached to andorra, there's a chance that her grandfather would come to the rescue should the covenant be in danger, which could be a great boon.

Fleur licks her lips distractingly as she thinks.
"I think the first real question is what actual threats we face in Mallorca. The sites are distributed, but also do not attract a lot of local attention, or at least not the kind we need to worry about. My house was considered to be an old abandoned and haunted house on the hill that only saw visitors when teenagers wanted to scare each other. Which admittedly wasn't that far off from what it actually was. Different locations may have different issues. I believe that for Acutus the biggest issue was administrative, given his location, most entities that could make it inside wouldn't be able to even get to the vis source. Anyone taking a standing army to a lighthouse, or an old mansion, is likely to draw a significant amount of attention. I think before we try and fine tune the defenses of Mallorca and Sa Dragonerra we should try and figure out what we would be defending against."

[color=red]No standing armies, I agree. Body guards and personal security, certainly. At least two armed guards at every location.

What we are defending against is whatever or whomever seeks to threaten and/or plunder the Sa Dragonera stone. The potential threats remain an unknown and highly variable. But I am certain that two simple steps will secure us against many threats that I can imagine. An Aegis around the stone is magical protection and helps guard against magic and supernatural entities. Guards at each access point gives us some protection against mundane threats. Further, if a terrirory comes under attack, a guard or even a servant present can quickly travel the regio network to warn and alert others.

Lucas nods at Roberto's assessment. "I'll keep guards at my estate near Parma until another journeyman can take it over," he says. "Between the olives, the oranges, and the grapes, the place pays for itself."

As for my asterisk above (*), Roberto is putting Judged Unfairly on Vibria. I am not sure they ever met, nd if so only in passing. Also, he has no knowledge of her activities in the Dragon Wars. She is going to return with much military experience. If she lives and comes back to us. In fact, not many are aware of the Transylvania situation at all. Vocis knows, but his orders are to maintain his post and downplay any sensationalism when news breaks out.

Robero looks to Arachne. [color=red]With some hesitance, I accept the requested duties. As I understand it, [strike]your[/strike] our charter states that certain key offices must always be filled and always by a Master. As a deputy, I will need to report to and consult with someone. Vibria is not here and who knows if or when she will return, so I suppose in the interim it is you that are the acting Marshal as well as Warden.
My plan is simple. We continue the contract with the Vibria* Company to staff us with three dozen mercenaries. These Gold Griffons maintain security at the keep, some serve as shield grogs, and they augment our forces in expeditions. According to our deal, we can hire some of these guys directly. Their company gets a commission and an empty hole to staff.
So what we have is five veterans of the old guard that somehow survived the attack on you guys a few years ago. Make them our officers, a Captain and the rest Lieutenants. There are other soldiers and shield grogs about. I want to organize them all together. Some will serve as soldiers, some as special forces. I want to recruit Donna the Weaponsmith, Fausto the Swordmaster, Bernat the Stutterer, and my man Carlos. There are also a half dozen Gold Griffons I want to offer jobs too. Antoni the Lion, I want him as a sergeant. In total I envision a force of around eighty, up from the sixty you have now.

(*not our Vibria, a mercenary company operation out of Barcelona with the same name, which means Dragon in Catalan)