Chapter V (1238 to 1245)

Any volunteers for the tour?

Fleur can do it but you know she will wind up hitting on her...

That would put it in sometime around Winter or Spring 1239, maybe Summer?

I don't think Guiverna is a good choice to lead the tour, but I would like her to get out of the lab and do something. (It didn't click until tonight that, by making her Magical Animal Companion her Familiar, that leave her without a Story flaw...dang.) It's been a year and a half or so since she explored Andorra recruiting snakes, and since then she's only stuck her head out of her lab to grab the studliest-looking man she could find and rego each other's corpus extensively. Granted, that's basically every evening, but still.

(Which reminds me, I still need to do thumbnails for her staff...part of which, I think is on Arachné's payroll.)

Lucas is always willing to give a tour. He's proud of the covenant and is happy to show it off.

I second Lucas for tour giving since, well he is there...

Captain Armand will accoopany you, for purposes of security and sg insight.

One of the many reasons this is cheesy IMO.

I think the best way to limit the nonsense is to keep the flaw aspect in that your familiar always gets you into trouble, or anything, so long as you get out of the lab due to it.

Lucas brings Cecilio around the covenant, accepting Captain Armand's presence without any problem. He shows her all the public areas, as well as the empty council chamber and the library, of which he is particularly proud. Throughout the tour he gives a running account of life her in Arans, as well as his experience living in the Balearics. "It's a strong and well-run covenant," he concludes in one of the drawing rooms where he has arranged for some tea and small cakes as a refreshment. "And I think you could make a real contribution here. Do you have any questions?"

Cecilio replies"Not really, the library is impressive though. I really hope Fleur can get my books in. I'll be really happy to add to it. And its like you want people to use it. Its organized and stuff. "
Ask him what the terms are for service and vis. Purity whispers.
Hush. Cecilio whispers back before addressing the man. Any questions for me?
Okay, any Vis she ges paid should be given to me. She's not competent to handle finances. Purity says to Lucas.

"The terms of service and vis payment are under revision right now," Lucas replies. "Currently service requirements are minimal and not particularly formalized. Payment by right is nothing for journeymen, though that may be changing soon."

See nothing to worry about. Cecilio says to Purity. Some of my research is going to be very exhausting casting of a healing ritual. I think I can develop a mastery that could let anyone cast like I do naturally. I don't need vis and I might be able to just go through the motions of the spell, but real world practice just seems like a better idea. Would it be possible to heal people in your hospital? Everyone wins.

"I don't see and reason that you couldn't heal people in our hospital," Lucas replies. "After all, isn't that what a hospital is for, to heal the sick?"

Purity sighs "I went through exactly this on the way here. We could have used that as a negotiation point. Maybe even gotten payed for it. Never let Cecilio negotiate anything. " she finishes looking at Lucas
"So anything else to do or is it just waiting for a decision now whenever you get around to it? This really is a nice covenant though.

Lucas notes the inherent rudeness in Cecilio's penultimate comment, but says nothing. She was a guest, after all.

"I've never been at a loss for something to do," he replies. "There's the library, for one thing. I'm sure I can get Vocis to allow you to peruse some books so long as you don't take them from the library. After that, the countryside is excellent for long walks, or so I've found. And my wife and I would be more than pleased to have you join us for dinner tonight, if your time is not otherwise engaged."

As Lucas and Cecelio are touring the Arans keep, they notice pyrotechnics in the exercise yard. Roberto & Vibria are paying a game of "fire tag". Sort of like Dimicatio, but more deadly. Roberto casts a fire spell at Vibria and she attempts to deflect it. Normal casting, not forceless. The contest depends on Vibria's immunity. She is wearing old armor that is scorched with the few hits Roberto has scored, but so far she is up on points having deflected twice as many shots as Roberto has had hits.

"I see those two are at it again," Lucas says with a chuckle. "Never a dull moment when they're practicing." He shakes his head. "Would you like to meet Vibria and catch up with Roberto?"

Let's see...this is Summer of 1238, so before she has either of her kids.

The grin on Vibria's face is almost painfully wide as she spars with Roberto. The Andorran guard that had been practicing off to one side has retreated to a (hopefully) safe distance and is watching the exchange. Sharp ears might pick up whispered side bets, and eyes the furtive passing of coins when wagers are lost.

Vibria's husband, Jaksic (a tall, gangly man who also serves in the turb) stands to one side, with the others of the guard, watching her and Roberto spar with what appears to be growing anger on his face. (He's actually just watching intently, but Judged Unfairly is strong with this one.)

((+1 point for portraying a perfect image of Jaksic. Son of a dragon, his innocent expression of interest and enthusiastic pride apears to mere mortals like he is about to fly into a deadly rage. But really he is in a peaceful mood and amazed by how powerful his wife is.
There has yet to arise a situation (other than pperhaps in the dragon war) where Jaksic has ever gotten actually angry. That would be pretty scary.))

Far from Jaksic, Eva watches this with amazement.
Now, this Roberto is a real wizard doing real magic! Why can't her mistress do the same thing? She's so creepy...
Hopefully, one day, Eva will wield magic, too. Maybe, if she's trusty enough, Mistress Arachné will teach her?

"Sure why not. Honestly, I'm not looking forward to trying to figure out how to put words to... well the things that come naturally to me. Not that I should be complaining, but that's besides the point."