Character Creation for callen (OOC)

Happily, I'm managing to avoid the bad/difficult issue while still being able to work with many related things. The big headache is gone while the ability to plan, be clever, and not act like a teenager who's been in some school fights on a mission with a SEAL team.

But I have been toying with what I said about Skilled Parens, and I think I can manage things a lot better with it and without Puissant Finesse, allowing me to pick up some needed Auram and other stuff.

1 Like

As for specifics, yes, I still want to be able to control magic well. That helps make a mage versatile. So ReVi is always important for that.

But there are some other specifics:

Rego craft magic, placed into items, probably very few items as greater enchanted devices. Looking toward Verditius Elder Runes, Items of Quality, and craft magic, Rego is by far the dominant Art. The Forms get spread out and not duplicated, so they're not very effective.

Managing bees for honey production is also best done with some Rego. Craft magic will extract the honey while disturbing bees less than traditional methods. Wards will prevent bee stings. Rego can also be used to control flowering, to assist the bees. So Rego is the most important here, and then it shows up in the Rego craft magic mentioned above when making mead; Philosophiae shows up in improving the honey.

(Some of the Rego craft magic and the mead making are her big hobbies.)

Controlling and morphing wind for combat is much more reliable when paired with ReVi, plus Rego is internally important to it as well, showing up directly in several spots. Auram is needed, of course. Muto is the other big one, while Creo is minimal. Skilled Parens can help with those three Arts.

Animating carvings of animals relies on Muto, but Rego actually becomes more important for controlling those animals. So these Arts show up similarly to wind, but needing some Terram and Animal. Also, Intellego and Vim show up here, so more Vim.

Here are some spells I've been working on:

Charge of the Furious Wind (CrAu 25) - Charge of the Angry Winds using the next base up for hurricane-force wind rather than gale-force wind. I'm not sure what the ease factors should be raised to. Hurricane-force middle ground has wind speeds roughly 3x the middle ground of gale-force winds; even category 1's average is double gale-force's. Hurricane-force is strong enough to damage structures.

Talons of the Furious Wind (Mu(Re)Au Gen) - Talons of the Winds at Concentration. It does level-15 damage.

Trapping the Furious Wind (MuAu(Te) 15) - Turn a wind into a small stone like Trapping the Fire. (Base 4, +2 Voice, +1 Concentration)

Reins of the Furious Wind (ReAu 25) - Move a wind up to hurricane force around under your control, no faster than the speed the wind blows at. (Base 5, +3 Sight, +1 Concentration)

Sorcerer's Sudden Ceremonial Space (Mu(Re)Te 10) - The ground or floor centered around where the caster touches it reshapes to form a ceremonial casting circle "etched" into it. Casting requisites may be needed depending on the material, such as Herbam for a wooden floor. (Base 3, +1 Touch, +1 Concentration, +1 stone) I'm not sure the Rego requisite is actually needed, but it seems appropriate.

Object of Minuscule Proportions (MuTe 15) - Object of Increased Size but for shrinking, with an extra magnitude for more shrinking, and at Concentration. Objects become 1/10,000 the mass and volume, so each dimension decreases by a factor of about 21.5.

Breathe Life into the Art (MuTe(An) 20) - This spell transforms a sculpture of an animal into the animal it represents, assuming the animal is no bigger than Size +1 and the sculpture is no bigger than an Individual. Casting requisites may be needed if the sculpture is made of non-Terram/Animal material, such as wood. As with other non-permanent, created animals, the animal is not disturbed by the Gift. (Base 5, +1 Touch, +1 Concentration, +1 stone)

The Enchanter's Touch (InVi 20) - Sight of the Sigil (HoH:TL p.75) at T: Touch. This allows the caster to identify details of whatever spells they have under their control.

Unraveling the Threads of Vim (PeVi Gen) - Unraveling the Fabric of Vim at Touch. It dispels level+15+roll.

Master of Enchantments (ReVi 5) - The caster activates an effect from a magic item worn or carried with a known simple trigger. (Base 5)

Sustaining the Demanding Spell (ReVi Gen) - Maintaining the Demanding Spell at Moon. It sustains a spell up to level-10.

I'd say this kind of wind makes it automatic that someone caught in the wind is blown away by it, unless he has something to anchor him- or herself to. Holding on would require a Strength + Size roll each round, with an Ease factor between 9 and 15 (not sure). Being blown away would cause the individual to suffer falling damage if they hit a solid object, much like Tossing the Brawling Brute (Grand Grimoire p.81).

Although MuAu has a General guideline, it is for changing air into a gas that does +level damage.

Talons of the Winds does not use that General guideline. It uses Base 4 and change wind into an abrasive medium.

This is basically a Rego Craft magic spell. The Muto is just there so that the effects of the etching isn't permanent, correct? If that is the case, then it should probably be Re(Mu)Te. According to Covenants p.51, that would be Base 2.

You are only affecting a part of the floor. so I would think level 15 (Base 2, +1 Touch, +1 Conc, +1 Part, +1 stone, +1 Muto requisite).

Actually, Object of Increased Size was erreta'd to level 20 because it was missing +1 stone. You may need to adjust your spell also.

If the spell is supposed to give you details on spells (plural), then shouldn't it be T:Group? On the other hand, I would be fine with this being R:Per, since it is about the caster. R:Touch would allow you to identify the details of whatever spells are under the target's control.

Added magnitude for R:Touch would make this level 10.

Shoot! You're right. And they got +5 damage with one lower magnitude out of it. They should have really used that general guideline to not screw around with things. That should probably be submitted for the errata.

Yes, that's the idea, that it's non-permanent. Oh, I forgot Part! I meant to have that in there and spaced when I wrote it out. Looks good this way.

Oh, yes, I should do the same. Thanks.

No, not Group. This is R: Personal, T: Touch. I just changed T: Vision to T: Touch. You're confounding R: Touch with T: Touch.

Why add the magnitude?

Personal: The spell only affects the casting magus or things that he is wearing or carrying.

Also, since it is Rego Craft magic, there will nee to be some sort of Finesse roll. Not a biggy, but I would think that one of the possible results of a botch would be that she doesn't notice that there is something wrong with the circle. How that would affect the ceremonial casting, well, I'm open to suggestions.

You,re right, my mistake for seeing Touch and thinking it was the range instead of the target.

Indeed! Sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

My Auram approach was chewing up spell levels. I'm going to adjust away from these Auram attacks.

Yeah, Aurum is expensive.
l would suggest something based on MuAu with airborne poisons.
Or just go full-on with lightning.

Yes, Auram is so versatile, but it is really expensive. I was thinking of the latter: full-on lightning. I could also go with creating a cloud of volcanic gas, which is also a good option for MuAu. Pairing volcanic gas and volcanic lightning is thematic for a Verditius, with Vulcan being so important.

What is that?

It's still lightning, just happening in the gases over a volcano rather than between clouds and the ground. Do a quick Google image search for volcanic lightning, and you'll see some really cool photos.

Please don't make a volcano in our nice green valley. :wink:

Those are pretty spectacular pictures.

OMG, it's so cool that l agree with it being Vulcan related. Even in some minor Focus "Vulcan".

No, no. Honeybees and blossoming for honey and mead! But I do want some way to beat up the bad guys. :wink:

Indeed. Lightning and volcanic ashes are bad for the scenery and bystanders. :laughing:

You gonna make special bees that produce magic honey? maybe even vis-honey? that would be interesting research...

a Menagerie combined with Viresculture maybe :slight_smile: would be a nice long term plan

My current plan is to use ReHe to help with blossoming as needed, ReAn to get honey from the hives while impacting them less than normal and not being stung, and wards as needed to protect them from particularly bad weather or other threats. But the big ones are to use experimental philosophy to improve the honey and Rego craft magic to make mead from it. So special honey and mead from regular, but thriving bees.

Cool. It popped into my head that bees collecting pollen/nectar from plants inside a magic aura is a quite fitting path to vis getting concentrated in a beehive, but maybe that just goes to having a couple of vis sources like that rather than a research project.

Yes, I'd think that would probably show up in vis sources rather than a research project. But it could be cool.