Character Creation for Kareatosys (OOC)

I highly recommend writing that as 7+2 for clarity. If that's the case your experience calculation is way off. 7 costs 140 normally. You have Affinity, so it should cost 140/1.5=93, not 143.

Ugh, it's hard to translate stuff from google sheet to forum.
Mind if l link sheet itself?

Well, if the sheet is giving you 143, something is coded incorrectly, as that's neither the right number for 7+2 nor for 9+2. I'm fine if you link the sheet. You'll have to make sure the permissions are set appropriately.

Here you go.

Oh, wow! That's a lot of IF statements! In the future, you might want to do this (x is the cell holding the total experience) for levels, which will work even if you exceed the levels you have listed in the IF statements:

Art/Accelerated Ability:
=ROUNDDOWN((sqrt(1+8*x)-1)/2,0)

Ability/Difficult Art:
=ROUNDDOWN((sqrt(1+8*x/5)-1)/2,0)

I see what happened with the 143: that's the total current experience, putting you just over 7. You've applied 95 experience to it, which gave a bonus 48 for a total of 143. The traditional method the books use would list it as 7+2 (3), meaning the score is 7, boosted to 9 when Puissant applies, and you have 3 extra experience toward a score of 8.

Art/Accelerated Ability:
=ROUNDDOWN((sqrt(1+8x)-1)/2,0)
Ability/Difficult Art:
=ROUNDDOWN((sqrt(1+8
x/5)-1)/2,0)

l tried (saw this as well), but it didn't work out and l am too lazy to actually implement it. Maybe, somewhere in the future. Tho, IF`s are fine, especially as they are in place already)

Oh, well, it's working now, nwm.

Yeah, exactly. Tho, l prefer to simplify things: 9 is better than 7+2. Anyway, here l will you local system.

The X+P (Y) notation that callen mentionned is fairly standard in the Ars community. It is clear, concise, complete and unambiguous. Your notation may seem simpler, but it is ambiguous.

1 Like

Problems with 9 v. 7+2 show up with experience. Who can you learn from? Who can you teach? What books can you read for benefit? What books can you write? The 9 muddies all of them, which is why it's avoided. Take a look at Darius in the core book, specifically his Perdo score:

Pe 18+3 (15)

Separately, your calculation of experience when you have Affinity is incorrect. It hasn't mattered yet, but it may well once play starts. Affinity modifies Quality, not bonus experience. There are many cases of bonus experience that do not get multiplied: Twilight, Correspondence, Virtues like Secondary Insight, etc.

Affinity is a bonus to Advancement Totals, not Source Quality, so it includes most bonus xp.

Sorry, I wrote it poorly. It doesn't modify Quality, it modifies Advancement Total which is Quality plus Quality bonuses, which thus only comes from Source Quality. So if there is Source Quality, then Affinity applies, and if there is no Source Quality, Affinity does not apply. Advancement Total is the middle step to verbally explain the parenthetical mathematics: (Q+B)xA rather than QxA+B or similar. So it excludes all bonus experience.

Hm, that's curious.

Right, but things which add to source quality (Book Learner, Study Bonus, Good Student/Teacher) count. That was my main point.

Yes, but those aren't bonus experience. Those are Quality bonuses. It's all things that give bonus experience that it doesn't apply to. Thus my list of examples above.

Should something else be done to proceed?

Did you fix the Sympathy Traits, probably by adding Faerie Background as a Free Virtue?

You'll certainly need a name other than "Boy" I read in the "(Very) short version of background" post. Definitely need that for a thread title.

Most (all?) of the rest of us posted a detailed character background, at least going into where we were found, who our parens is, and where we were trained. Arthur's probably waiting on that, though I cannot speak for him.

1 Like

Yes, I would like a more complete and consolidated version of the character. Right now things are scattered over several posts over many days, with different versions of stats blocks. It's hard to track what's current and what isn't. And we haven't seen much background either.

But I can feel that the character is nearing completion.

Ah, true.
l forgot about detailed backstory, sorry. Will do.

lt looks like l don't have time or energy to play with you properly.
l will take my leave, sorry.

Sorry to hear that. :disappointed:

1 Like

Yeah, it's a hard decision to make. But(