Character Development

Yes, I am tempted. :slight_smile: So much for a limited number of virtues... :stuck_out_tongue: I am thinking of a rego vis source from the dew of a magical flower of Myron's which blooms only on the summer's solstice.

The book says about 10% of the covenant's sources for personal vis, which would be just one pawn. If I took three levels of personal vis source, would the group be ok with granting 4 pawns from this source, assuming the covenant would find/have more vis by the time the plant flowers? Also, how does personal vis work with the charter? Would Myron even be able to use this source for a private greenhouse in the long term? Considering he is the type of personality who would give away his shirt, this point determines how useful the virtue is.

If this is all okay, I am thinking of balancing it with: Restriction (hail); i.e. can't cast when it is hailing.

I'd also like to make him a year older, 26, with Rego 11 and Vim 4.

His spells would change with the following:
Aegis of the Hearth (reg-vim) 20
Maintaining the demanding spell (reg-vim) 20
Pass the unyielding portal (mut-her) 5
and remove:
Gather essence of the beast 15

P.S.
I couldn't find an appropriate CreTer spell for making a glass greenhouse. I am assuming spontaneous spells are the way to go with this?

In terms of progression, he would finish his apprenticeship with only 2 levels of enchanted music (getting the third later), but would have Rego 7, Vim 4, Herbam 3, Animal 1, Creo 1

Nothing in the books. You'd have to invent a new ritual spell based on Wizards Tower.

Okay, that works (although I'm still inclined to think his grogs are going to get a bit of a nasty surprise).

If you wanted to make a permenant structure, then you'll need a momentary Creo ritual. Something along the lines of:

Base 3 (create glass) + 1 (Touch) +3 size (probably, depending on how big you want it. Might get away with +2) +X (elaborate design).

This would give a single greenhouse made out of one unbroken hollowed out block of glass. Not sure on what to set X as - Conjuring the Mystic Tower is +3.

Alternatively, you could make temporary structures without a ritual, but they'd be higher level due to the need to include a duration.

Well, at least they'll suffer in an artistic & melodramatic manner. :stuck_out_tongue:

I'm still trying to familiarise myself with some of the details of the mechanics. You totalled modifiers of (say) 10. What does this mean exactly? Is it possible to create ritual spells on the fly (not just spontaneous)? Also, does this mean that the ritual would be level 30 (20+10), or does everything under 20 (the minimum) just count as a level 20 ritual?

Use the total in the covenant build (the "Covenant" thread), not the actual vis sources we've already found.

Scott

Each additional "+1" in the spell is one additional magnitude. Magnitudes are usually equivalent to +5 levels; however, under level 5 they are equivalent to 1 level (e.g. the above spell has a base of 3. One extra magnitude takes it to level 4, two extra to level 5, and three extra to level 10. From there it's 5 extra levels per extra magnitude).

A spell that was a ritual whose level was implied by that method to be under level 20 would be automatically bumped up to level 20.

You can't cast ritual spells without having learnt them in the laboratory first. This works the same way as formulaic spells, and can be done in two ways:

• Using a labtext. Labtexts are essentially a set of instructions on how to invent the spell written by someone who has already done so. In this case your lab total only has to equal the level of the spell (so if you're trying to invent a level 30 spell, you need a lab total of 30). Lab texts are generally preferable to the alternative, but rely on someone else already having invented the spell you want (and being willing to trade it to you).
  • Inventing it from scratch. In this case, you need to accumulate a number of points equal to the level of the spell. Each season you accumulate points equal to your lab total less the level of the spell. So, for a level 30 spell, if your lab total is 30, you never accumulate any points. If your lab total is 31, you accumulate 1 point per season, and it'll take you 30 seasons to invent the spell. If your lab total is 60, you can invent it in one season.

Your lab total is equal to Technique + Form + Intelligence + Magic Theory + Aura + any other modifiers. There is not usually a die roll. However, if inventing a spell from scratch, you can choose to experiment. This allows you to add a simple die to your total, but has the potential to go horribly wrong (or, possibly, very right).

Other modifiers can include those from virtues/flaws (such as Inventive Genius), wound or fatigue penalties and lab modifiers (lab modifier rules are set out in Covenants, if you have it. Assume a modifer of 0 before entering play; people can help you design a lab once you enter play if you want).

One other option is to cast the ritual from a Casting Tablet. Casting Tablets can only be created by someone who has previously learned the spell from a lab text or invented it, and also Mastered the spell (each spell has a Mastery skill associated with it.)

This doesn't really apply in this case, though, since your character wants a fairly unique ritual.

Yeah, I looked there, and the covenant has 10 pawns recurring vis (but has boons such as vis grant & hidden resources). I was just wondering if the group thought granting 4 pawns for a 3point virtue was reasonable, especially considering the cat (for example) provides 6 pawns per year. I'm also trying to find out what the covenant's position would be if Myron brought in a vis-producing plant. Would he be obligated to submit it to the covenant? If so, would vis sources totalling eight (giving him four) be necessary and/or reasonable?

I am just throwing out ideas, but I do like the idea of setting up a protected garden.

Thanks for all that. I've read through the rules, but a few concrete examples have helped tremendously. After looking through the rules, I think it would be best if Myron develops this spell in game after setting up a lab. Any tips as we go along would probably be quite useful! And I'd like to add inventive genious balanced with susceptibility to infernal for Myron.

Also, does Myron really need warping points? Yes, he is five years post gauntlet, but I made him low powered so that I as a player could grow with the character. He only has 153 points in Arts plus the standard 120 spells. Does he really need more than a single warping point, if that? It seems silly for one so young + low powered.

Oh, right, sorry about that. I looked back earlier in the thread, and it looks like 3-4 pawns/year is the number we went with for Personal Vis Source. I suggested 4, but Salutor might have favored a little less. Salutor?

Scott

He should have at least a few Warping Points from botches, though yes, the standard number (2 per year) is a little high for young magi--but take at least 1 a year.

Scott

What's the word on Myron? I haven't heard about him in a coupla weeks.

Rather than posting the lab workup in the Chapter thread and possibly disrupt the roleplaying there, I'm posting it here:

Patrick's Lab

Near the (northwest?) edge of the plateau on which Tanais rests lies a grassy field suitable for grazing, surrounded by a makeshift fence. The ruins of a farmer's hut (really, two walls and part of a ceiling, supported with a post) houses Patrick's "sanctum" tent though he claims the entire fenced-in area as his laboratory. The ruin itself is encircled with several raised circles used to ward against various calamities, and the area inside the circle is etched with a hexagonal pattern due to a side effect of one of these wards. Dozens of small clay pot-lanterns keep the field lit and warm, apparently with an unending fuel supply. Two slop-troughs and a few large wooden cages can be seen, though the trained Hermetic eye would see their placement as haphazard. Much else is placed carelessly, as well : barrels of animal bones, corked clay pots labeled in Latin, and strings of drying herbs lay scattered about.

One of the feeding trough is magical, named The Trough of Alteration (lesser brother to The Cage of Changes), and it slowly twists and warps the creatures which feed from it with magic. A horde of voles discovered this daily feast shortly after Patrick arrived, and quickly transformed into a variety of useful, if pestilent, magically-warped animals. Some of these voles became twisted mutants, whose muscles, bones and humors prove surprisingly useful in laboratory work. Other voles grew cannibalistic and intelligent enough to start thinking about population density, and offered their services to Patrick as guards, runners, and herd-wranglers. Armed with metal shavings from the blacksmith's forge, they hunt down the more dangerous mutant voles and keep the population in check, and bring the magically twisted parts to Patrick for use in his lab work.

Virtues and Flaws

Immediately Available due to RolePlay/CharGen
Flawless Equipment, Flawless Tools, and Spotless - Provided by the initial lab creation, but doomed to disappear soon enough. Maybe Patrick can train the voles to do housework someday, and they can keep the place spotless.
Magical Lighting +0 : Patrick is capable of casting Ring of Candlelight as a rote, with no chance of failure or botch. He would use it liberally and intelligently.
Magical Heating +0 : See Magical Lighting.
Trough of Alteration +0 : Provides +1 Experimentation, per the rules on Covenants, pg 121, "Magic Items for Laboratories." It is not clear to me whether a Lvl 15 spell should give a +1 or +2 bonus.

Trough of Alteration CrVi 15, (Base 5, +1 Touch, +5 for 24 uses/day) : A small food/water trough which inflicts 1 warping point (see RoP:M 79) each time a creature eats food or drinks water placed inside it. On one side are several orifices in which you can place Vis, which fuels the device in unclear ways. It was the maker's hope that the vis would affect the nature of the warping, but he decided to trade it for a very nice wolfhound before coming to any conclusions.

Immediately Available and Balanced By Other V/Fs
Outdoors -3 : The lab space is a ruined farmhouse and grazing field
Vulnerable -0 : The makeshift fence is easily thwarted by creatures of meager cunning
Uneven Floor -0 : A field, overrun with burrowing rodents, contains many trip hazards
Disorganized -0 (Experimentation): Patrick's just messy like that. The voles, later, will not be helping this.
Missing Sanctum Marker -0 : Lacking any single entrance to the lab, the sanctum marker is only visible to those approaching the sanctum from the main path

Requiring a Story
Greater Horde +3 (Rego): The Vole Wranglers, armed with metal shavings, feasting on their unthinking brethren, and (eventually) loyal to Patrick, thanks to his help in The Great Field War of 1226.
Inexhaustible Supplies +0 : Magically transformed vole parts are surprisingly useful, especially when someone else gathers them for you.
"Faerie" Ingredients +0 : While vole parts are useful, it is not always clear how they are useful, and they are already tainted by magic. While supplied by magical animals and not faeries, their beneficial yet unpredictable properties provide the same effects, bonuses, and penalties.

Other Things Patrick Will Probably Get For The Lab Someday
Greater Feature/Focus - Cage (Rego)
Greater Feature - Trough (Experimentation)
Greater/Lesser Guardian (Rego?) (captured and tamed Magic Beasts is his business)
Extensive Stores +1
Spacious +1
Idyllic Surroundings +0 (with SG permission)

Other Notes

• Obvious choices which I didn't pick up, but bring up in case people want to suggest tweaks:
    Natural Environment +3 - Though suggested when you pick Outdoors, I opted to balance that flaw with Greater Horde instead, since Natural Environment didn't provide bonuses Patrick was interested in, so while he is in a Natural Environment, he doesn't get those bonuses. I suppose technically you could add this to the lab as a Greater Illusion, but....meh. Maybe he'll add it someday.
    Restriction -1 - I thought about taking a restriction from binding familiars, as a side effect to the inhumane and torturous aspects of the Trough of Alterations, and Patrick's general attitude towards beasts, but frankly, I want him to have a delta-based familiar someday.
    Idyllic Surroundings +0 - Seemed like cheating to start with it, somehow.
    Infested -0 - Felt redundant

• I was thinking that we'd be keeping some livestock here as well (chickens, cows, etc), but what with the vole infestation, I doubted the place would be suitable for grazing anymore. Then I found this article that suggests grazing actually impacts vole populations, not the other way around. So if we get some livestock, we should put them in/near Patrick's Field. Thus, bringing me one step closer to raising an army of mutant chickens!

Stats

Before the Voles

Upkeep 5
Safety -3
Health -1
Aesthetics -4
Warping 0

General -1
Experiment 2
Texts 1
Vis Extraction 2
Items 2
Creo 1
Rego 0
Terram 1
Imaginem 1
Ignem 1

After losing spell benefits and gaining Horde story stuff

Upkeep 1
Safety -2 (Assuming the Greater Horde has Int 1)
Health -2
Aesthetics -3
Warping 2
General 2
Experiment 3
Texts 1
Rego 3
Terram 1
Imaginem 1
Ignem 1

Actually, if JM isn't with us any more, does anyone mind if I take over his Companion character, Miklos?

I've no objection.

Gregorius' initial lab in the caves. Note that his current plan is that this is only a temporary placeholder, and that in time he will have a custom built building/sanctum housing his lab and living quarters. It's a medium term plan, though, and not really top of the "getting the covenant up and running" list.

Gregorius' lab is situated on the first level of the caves. It was previously occupied by a Flambeau magus with, apparently, a certain sense of humour - visitors to the lab are met by a curtain of illusory flame as they step through the door. The lab also contains a hypocaust enchanted with a Creo Ignem effect, which Gregorius has not yet investigated in detail (and, with a lab investigation total of (20 + stress die)/2, isn't likely to any time soon).

Characteristics
Size: +4
Occupied size: +1
Refinement: 0
Safety: +2
General Quality: +2
Aesthetics: -3
Health: -3
Upkeep: -1?
Warping: 0
Terram: +2 -1
Items: +2 -1
Vis Extraction: +2 -1

Virtues
Spacious, mStr. +2 Safety, +1 Aesthetics.
Flawless Equipment, FSu, from Portia's spell. Gregorius is not intending to maintain this rigorously; however, he is also not intending to use the laboratory very often, so hopefully breakages will be slow. +2 GQ, +0? upkeep, +2 vis extraction.
Flawless Tools, FSu as above. +2 Items, +0? Upkeep.
Familiar, mSu. Alcimus isn't actually a familiar yet, and spends minimal time in the lab, but he does need the space left for him. No bonus yet.
Magic Item, FSu, curtain of flame. +1 Aesthetics.
Magic item, FSu. The hypocaust. No impact yet, as Gregorius hasn't got it working.

Flaws
Empty, FStr. It's a big cave. -1 Aesthetics, -1 Health.
Subterranean, FStr. It's a cave. +1 Upkeep, -1 Health, -1 Aesthetics, +1 Terram.
Uneven Floor, FStr. See above. +1 Upkeep, -1 Health, -1 Aesthetics, +1 Terram.
Missing Sanctum Marker, FO. The lab isn't actually Gregorius' sanctum at all - that's his room in the main building. -1 Aesthetics.
Undecorated, mO. Gregorius, spending little time in the lab and in any case viewing it as a temporary set-up only, has not spent much time personalising it. -1 Aesthetics, -1 Upkeep, subtract 1 pt from any speciality with a score of 2 or more.

I don't think this is a good assumption - remember, cunning creatures that gain intelligence usually start at -3.

Would that end up being a penalty to the Safety? Cuz with Int -3, that'd give the lab a Safety of -6, and I'd be better off with a Lesser Horde.

Sorry for the delay in replying on this. I think there was some confusion on how much vis the covenant has and will get. As already stated, the covenant has 10 pawns in recurring vis sources built with build points. On the standard "1/10th of covenant income" scale, this would imply Personal Vis Source only gives 1 pawn a year. However, MTKnife has said that the covenant will gain more vis sources than implied by the build points quite quickly. I'm not in a position to judge how much extra or how quickly. My inclination is to say "1/10th of the sources expected at the end of the first year", but I don't know how much that is.

On a more general point, 6 seems a bit much, and 3-4 more reasonable, but that's all subject to the point above.

Basically, yes.

Well....then I'd shift it to Lesser Horde (+1), Spacious (+1), Extensive Stores(+1), and Idyllic Surroundings (+0). Call the Extensive Stores part of a barn that gets built, and pick something a little less reproductively enthusiastic for my horde. Mutant chickens, maybe? No, the idea of smart chickens is just too unlikely....

Before I count all that out, can I get people's opinions on the new draft?

Flawless Equipment
Flawless Tools
Spotless

Outdoors -3
Vulnerable -0
Uneven Floor -0
Disorganized -0
Missing Sanctum Marker -0

Extensive Stores 1
Spacious 1
Idyllic Surroundings 0
Lesser Horde 1
Faerie Ingredients 0
Inexhaustible Supplies 0

Magical Lighting 0
Magical Heating 0
Trough of Alteration 0

Both Callen and Salutor have designed labs much less supernatural in scope, so I'm not even sure if this lab design is thematically appropriate for the saga.