Character Development

Again, it's not creating the armor from a spell. It's creating raw materials. One casting of Create Adamant Steel creates the equivalent of 1500 pounds of material. This material would then be crafted into the items using actual skills. Verditius are required to make an Apprentice item as their gauntlet.

Superior equipment requires a Workshop total of 12. For armor, Magnus's base score is 7 for Plate and Mail (which again is not full plate and is an existing technology of the time period) + 3 for Dex. That's 10. A mildly improved forge or high-quality tools or even one apprentice-level helper adds enough to make Superior items.

If the ruling is Magnus can't have this equipment, I could have just used my spell that teleports metal to steal Superior or even Excellent regular metal equipment.

On Gavriel - Magister in Artibus provides an additional 240 free experience for academic abilities.

Ability block means he can never learn Martial Abilities, it is unrelated to whether he had the opportunity through his previous lifestyle.

Here is an extensive response to Salutor's previous questions on Magnus followed by an updated character sheet.

Who's his mythic ancestor?

I was originally going with “a random storm giant” and “he doesn’t know.” In order to better respond to some of the other concerns I’m now going with Svarog, Bulgarian/Slavic god of the forge/sky/sun/underworld, but Magnus doesn’t know this. Interestingly, most Slavic deities seem like they may be Magic realm instead of Faerie, as with Mythic Tengrism.

I'd prefer to keep to two personality flaws - there are also balance issues in that personality flaws are generally not particular crippling. You can still have the extra flaws as personality traits.

I switched flaws for both characters so that there are two personality flaws for each. I retained the extra personality flaw for Magnus as this is a free extra flaw from Mythic Blood. If this is still a problem I can switch it, but it is a free extra flaw.

I agree with Ironboundtome that the lesser malediction seems very narrow - if you're going with it, I'd want knowledge of it to already be out in the wild for some reason.

Removed and replaced.

I think you're overspent on xp that can only be spent during apprenticeship - in particular he can't take any martial or academic abilities prior to it as he stands.

I’m glad you had me look at this again. I made this character a number of years ago for a campaign that never happened. Turns out I missed 1 XP in the Arts. Magnus is also now a Branded Criminal. Hooray.

Is there a thematic reason for his 2 x Limited Resistance in Aquam and Herbam? (It's perfectly legal, but it's quite a weak flaw that doesn't particularly seem to link in to the rest of the character).

The limited Aquam represents the conflict between Svarog and Perun (sky gods), and Veles, the god of water/basically the Slavic pagan devil (sort of). I dropped Herbam and took Incompatible Forms instead to represent Magnus’s central nature as a creator rather than a destroyer.

Whilst not a requirement, some Order of Hermes Lore or Code of Hermes might be worth thinking about.

I plan to study this from the library.

You need +2 magnitudes in your at-will ability to affect Metal and Gemstone. Actually, it's possible this one is already included in the Base 3 to affect stone (which is normally +1 magnitude).

This seems to be a Muto Terram issue – MuTe guideline 3 is “Change dirt to stone and vice versa,” which is why Rock of Viscid Clay is only 15. I based the ability on Rock of Viscid Clay. I don’t honestly care if Magnus can shape gemstone, so I can remove it if it’s a problem. I honestly don’t ever see it coming up.

20 is the minimum level for a ritual.

Create True Glass now creates 100 cubic paces of glass. Approximately 250,000 kg. according to Google’s “glass density” search. And is level 20.

Is your intent with the Glass sling that it does +21 damage? Whilst I can see the argument that better things to throw should do more damage, I'm not convinced that it's that simple (particularly as a stone normally does +2 damage, and the glass discs would probably do less damage when hitting armour than a solid rock would). I'd be inclined to leave it at +15. Also, what is your intent with putting the spell to Voice range? So he can use pre-seeded glass discs which are already in the vicinity? Or to use a non-aimed version of the spell?

That is the idea, in the same way that throwing a hand-axe with a spell would be better than throwing a rock. I can see your argument, however. I am planning to truck around a sack of these bladed glass disks the size of an axe head.

It’s at Voice range because I think it’s insanely foolish to assume you can touch your ammunition.

He has 130 levels of spells rather than 120.

Extra fixed.

What form do his casting tools take?

Miniature version of forge/armor-making tools. He keeps them on a cute charm bracelet. Or were you asking for a detailed list of specific tools for each of the spells?

I'd suggest writing his Puissant abilities in the form X + 2 rather than X (Y), as the latter is the way the total/surplus number of xp often gets written.

Done.

• I haven't thought about the armour stats in detail yet.

I added the Superior bonus for the core armor (Plate and Mail), but it seemed excessive to use it for the helm or gambeson (even though technically this is possible under the RAW). The stats are as per Lords of Men, crafting rules from City & Guild, and the bonus from Adamant Steel (which I also only applied to the core armor, not the helm).

They are Superior because it is easy for Magnus to make a Superior item from steel in a forge that has been mildly improved (which I’m assuming his parens’ was) and/or with a single low-skilled assistant (again, forge companions of his parens). It’s when you get to Excellent that the numbers start getting tricky.

I'll leave the lab stats to MTKnife (although getting the lab rebuilt is something that will probably have to happen IC).
Makes sense to have it happen IC, just wanted to give a heads up. I figure it’s best to telegraph intentions when it comes to Ars.

Mage Name: Magnus Fulminatus House Verditius

Size: +2 (8ft. and 412 pounds)
Hair: White, Eyes: Gray

As told by Magnus with his currently awesome -3 Communication:
Was born big, got bigger. Dad says mom had sex with a storm giant. Dad hates me. Mom hates me. Say I eat too much, sell me to traveling people who say they take me for job to work at build castle. These people are liars. They are bad criminals – they think because I am big I will be good for scaring people. I am bad at scaring people. But I learn to be good at hitting people. Then all the bandits get beaten by imperial Bulgarian troops. I am not stupid, so I don’t fight the imperial troops, they have better weapons and better armor.

They brand me as criminal and sell me as slave to armor smith. Smith likes me because I am very big and I can bend metal easily when I chant. Feeds me pig slop, because cheaper. Work for smith for a few years, then Armanus comes and buys me.

Armanus tells me I am now his apprentice. This seems like another word for slave. Just one more person controlling me. But Armanus’s food is better, his house is better, and he doesn’t act like I’m an animal. So… better. Armanus says I have a gift. I know this. I can make rocks and metal do what I tell them. Armanus says that this is not the same and teaches me how to do real magic. Teaches me to do better smithing. How to make armor. Armor is VERY GOOD. It keeps other people from hurting you whether they have blades or magic. I am VERY GOOD at armor.

Eventually I make a magic armor and Armanus takes it, pats me on the head and lets me keep some of my non-magical work. Now I am Verditius. Which is the BEST kind of magic, because it is best for making armor.

But this is not the best armor that could be made. There are better armors. Some of them are not even made of metal, instead made of people and towns and tribunals and old magic.

I hear about this covenant in the heart of the territory of old Bulgars. My people. Strong people. So I come here. I am good at making. I see your ‘buildings’ – your covenant needs making.

Personality Traits: Brave +3, Generous +1, Envious +2

Confidence 1/3

Characteristics:

Int. 2
Per. -3
Str. 3
Sta. 5
Pre. 0
Com. -3
Dex. 3
Qui. 1

Flaws:

Mistaken Identity (Major, Story)
Overconfident (Major)
Limited Magic Resistance (Aquam)
Lecherous (Minor)
Incompatible Form (Perdo Corpus, Perdo Terram)
Branded Criminal

Driven (Minor, to make the perfect armor – From Mythic Blood)

Virtues:

The Gift
Magus

Giant Blood
Mythic Blood (Minor Affinity: Steel)
Inventive Genius
Puissant Parma
Great Stamina
Puissant Magic Theory

Abilities:

Single Weapon (Heater Shield) 4
Craft Armorer (Plated Mail) 6
Athletics (Running) 2
Brawl (Grappling) 2
Swim (Hold Breath) 2
South Slavic (Bulgar - Native) 5
Latin (Hermetic Usage) 4
Finesse (Precision) 1
Artes Liberales (Ritual Magic) 1
Magic Theory (Enchanting Items) 3 + 2 [Puissant Magic Theory]
Parma Magica (Mentem) 1 + 2 [Puissant Parma]

Equipment: (Encumbrance 0 – Load 4 of 6)
Superior Adamant Long Sword (+1 Attack) - +2 Init/+5 Attack/+1 Defense/+8 Damage
Superior Adamant Heater Shield + 4 Defense
Superior Adamant Plate and Mail +13 Soak
Superior Adamant Helmet (open) +1 Soak
Gambeson +1 Soak

Superior Armor-Crafting Tools (would prefer Excellent +3, up to the group – I’m happy to pay for them in-game).

Adamant chain sack of 10 edged True Glass disks.

Combat:
Sword and Shield
+3 Init/+13 Attack/+11 Defense/+11 Damage

Brawl
+1 Init/+5 Attack(+6 Grappling)/+3 Defense (+4 Grappling)

Unarmored Soak - +5
Armored Soak - +20

Form Soak – Corpus +1, Terram +1

Arts:

Animal 1
Creo 9
Intellego 1
Muto 1
Rego 10
Corpus 5
Terram 6
Vim 1

Wizard's Sigil - Lightning Limned (My spells have little zaps of electricity that go over them when they appear.)

Mythic Blood At-Will Ability
Reshape the World – MuTe 30, Touch, Concentration, Part
As Rock of Viscid Clay (that is, turns anything touched into a compound similar to clay for Concentration), but expanded to include Stone, Metal, Glass, and Gemstone.
(Base 3, +1 Touch, +1 Concentration, +1 Part, +1 to affect Metal, +3 for additional substances)

Spells

Create the Adamant Steel – CreTe 20 Ritual, Touch, Mom, Ind
This ritual creates one individual of “true” steel which eliminates weight penalties, and adds +2 to Armor Value of any item made with it. Edged weapons gain +2 Damage. (Based on the information in Art & Academe, steel with +2 Armor/+2 damage is a natural item.)
(Base 3, +1 Touch, +2 Metal, +2 for “extra unnatural” weightlessness)

Create True Glass – CreTe 20 Ritual, Touch, Mom, Ind
Creates completely pure glass as tough/strong as steel in a color the caster selects. Total amount is equal to 100 individuals (100 cubic paces)
(Base 3, +1 Touch, +2 for “extra unnatural” toughness, +2 size)

Summon Metal – ReTe 25, Voice, Mom, Ind (He/An Req for compound items)
Calls one metal object in 50 paces into the caster’s hand or onto his/her person (to allow fast-donning armor).
(Transport Target up to 50 paces instantly Base 5, +2 for metal, +2 Voice)

Magnus’s Truly Invisible Sling – ReTe 25 Voice, Mom, Ind
As per Vilano’s Invisible Sling, but affecting glass and at Voice range. +15 Damage.
(Base 15, +2 Voice)

Bind Wound – CreCo 10 Per, Sun, Ind+1
As per Bind Wound, but able to affect myself and myself only.

Wizard’s Leap - ReCo 20 Per, Mom, Ind+1
The caster instantly transports himself up to 50 paces in any direction, provided he can see his destination or has an Arcane Connection to it. His Talisman comes with him automatically but casting requisites are required to bring along any other clothing or equipment. This spell is very effective as a fast-cast defense to escape attacks or other mishaps, and can also be used for bypassing obstacles or launching surprise attacks.
(Base 15, +1 Size – Te, He, An requisites)

A few tweaks to the revised version:

• Branded Criminal doesn't work, unfortunately, as it's a Social Status virtue not compatible with Hermetic Magus. Maybe swap in Warrior for the access to Martial Abilities? That gives you 50xp as well.
  • I'd prefer to limit the Personality flaws to 2 including the free one.
  • Thinking about the Limited Magic Resistance flaw a bit more, the fact that you don't have any xp in Aquam means that the flaw isn't hindering you in any way, and is therefore pushing the limit of being a flaw.
  • Corpus (along, irrelevantly, with Vim) isn't a valid Art for Incompatible Art.
  • I'm happy not to have detailed descriptions of the casting tools, just wanted a general idea for flavour.
  • The Form Soak rounds up rather than down

I wanted to raise the damage of the improved sling with the glass. It's off. The base damage from the sling already includes the projectile damage. You shouldn't add the axe damage on top of that, as most of the axe damage is already within the base damage. A little extra for cutting maybe, but then only against very soft targets - which is a mechanic that ars doesn't really do.

I don't think a magus can take normal Social Flaws--and it doesn't seem like a meaningful one for a magus in any case.

I think Salutor's point is that, despite the lack of a formal requirement in the rules, it's hard to imagine a character (ex Misc excepted) who hasn't picked up at least a little of these two Abilities during apprenticeship.

He'll need to start by picking one of the existing spaces.

Scott

I've now got rounded to looked at Gabriel. My thoughts are:

• I make him 24 rather than 25 (allowing for the +240xp from Magister in Artibus).
  • I think you actually want "Eastern Priest" (from RoP:tD) rather than "Priest", but the two virtues are basically identical other than Eastern Priest not coming with the requirement to take a separate vow of celibracy.
    I count him as only having 9 points of characteristics rather than the 10 he's due.
  • I agree with Trogdor (and the wording of the flaw) that Ability Block: Martial doesn't work as he can't take martial skills in the first place, due to not having an appropriate virtue.

Other comments:

• I'm generally happy with your magus having Superior quality armour, as it shouldn't be that hard to get hold of even if he hadn't crafted it himself. I'll note that the armour won't count as his apprenticeship piece, though, as it's not an enchanted item (and if it was an enchanted item, you'd need to take the "Masterpiece" virtue from page 135 of HoH:MC in order to have been allowed to keep it by your master).

Thanks, I had that highlighted to double check and forgot.

I will rejuggle skills/virtues/flaws.

Understood about the lab. I will likely rebuild one of the outbuildings as a lab, then, unless there are objections in-game.

Yes, the armour isn't his apprentice piece. As I stated a few posts back, he made a different apprentice piece that was an enchanted suit of armor made of Adamant Steel. But casting the Adamant Steel spell creates the equivalent of 1500 pounds of material. Which is more than enough to make both the apprentice piece, and then make other items with the 1450 pounds equivalent of leftovers. This armor/shield/sword should have used less than 100 pounds of that, leaving plenty for Magnus' parens to keep/mess around with. If his parens didn't allow it, that's fine, just seems stingy.

It's from the description of the flaw in the Main Rule book "For some reason, you are completely unable to use two combinations of Techniques and Forms, except for Corpus and Vim." Therefore Perdo Corpus isn't a valid choice.

Does that affect anything other than boosting a spell by +2 per pawn? If not, I think that's a bit weak - vis boosting isn't that common. Trying to think of some suggestions for possible alternative flaws that might fit:

• Bound Casting Tools (mH, HoH:MC page 136). All his casting tools are lasting arcane connections to him. This would fit with armour making being a really important part of his life (given his tools are armour making tools).
  • Short Ranged Magic (MH, main book page 59). Armour is generally a short ranged defensive thing that affects its wearer rather than things at a distance. This would mean rejigging your Vilano spell back to Touch range, and swapping out the metal summoning spell
  • Weak magic resistance - when it's raining (MH, main book page 61). This ties into the idea of him being weak to things associated with Veles, although does have the disadvantage of MTKnife having to decide what the weather's doing every story.
  • Poor formulaic magic / weak spontaneous magic / difficult spontaneos magic - just generally common Verditius flaws.

MTKnife: Viola has the "Faerie Friend" flaw (I think technically from an initiation), but I can't remember said faerie ever coming up in play (to the point where I'm not even sure what their concept is). How would you feel about swapping Zethos in for him?

Alternatively: what is Viola's faerie friend?

That's actually another item on my to-do list.... There's a draft of him, but he was never completed (I can't remember who was designing him). In principle, I like the idea of using Zethos, but I find it hard to reconcile with the friend's supposing to have arrived in conjunction with an initiation.

Scott

Here's that draft. As I said, I do like the Zethos idea, and I don't need two of them running around where we haven't even managed to get one into the game--but I don't see how to tie Zethos into the initiation.

Scott

Here's a quick sketch of where I'm headed with the Faerie Friend. I'm working with the original idea of having him be a protector. I did remove the dying part, though. He tries to protect others, but he is often the cause of the conflict that gets them needing protection. I'm looking at Second Sight and Faerie Sight. I guess Faerie Sight doesn't work against things like a wizard's invisibility, only things from Faerie, right? I still need one more flaw, too, as it stands.

Faerie Might 5

Int -2, Per +2, Str +1, Sta +2, Pre -2, Com 0, Dex +2, Qui +2

Virtues
Faerie Speech +1
Highly Cognizant +1
Humanoid Faerie +1
Lesser Power: Damaging Effect (costs 1) +1
Passes for Human
Personal Power: Supernatural Agility (costs 3) +1
Personal Power: [vis collection thing] w/ Residual Power (below) +1 <-- not sure how to do this, but it's specifically mentioned w/ Residual Power; I'll work on it
Pretentious +1
Residual Power +1

Flaws
Meddler -3
Oversensitive (Disrespect & Insults to Others) -1
Reckless -1
Traditional Ward: Payment -1
Unruly Air -1

Pretenses 20x(37-5=32)+120=760 --> 15 left
Athletics 5 [75]
Awareness 4 [50]
Bows 7 [140]
Brawl 3 [30]
Carouse 2 [15]
Faerie Lore 3 [30]
Faerie Speech 5 [75]
Folk Ken 3 [30]
Ride 1 [5]
Single Weapon 10 [275]
Stealth 2 [15]
Swim 1 [5]

I agree Zethos doesn't fit as an initiation - I was thinking more of bringing the one flaw to a close, and replacing it with another (very similar) one.

I liked the original idea of having the Faerie Friend in effect replace a shield grog or two...but I suppose that misses the point. So what would be the story of how one Friend replaces the other?

Scott

Not sure, I'll admit.

I have a few things that can be done with Zethos, but none of them involve replacing other fae.

We could say that the other faerie decided for some reason to stay behind in the Chersonesus regio--maybe he thought Gykia was particularly deserving of protection?

However, since it's a Story Flaw, in the case of Zethos, we'd have to figure out some way that he would get Viola involved in stories, or at least impinge on the ones involving her.

Scott

I've got a couple of ideas for Zethos - some further fallout from the oath he broke, and some results from him interacting with the ghosts haunting the covenant.

The latter has the problem that I suspect there's still a lot I don't know about the ghosts - I have the nasty feeling there are avenues we haven't explored which we should have done.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what those avenues are. It's possible that the notes we found in the lab might help with that, once deciphered? Stephen was going to decode them, I think in Autumn 1228. They might also lead to other plot seeds.

I had no definite plans for the ghosts, so if you have any ideas, run with them.

We do need to keep in mind that a Faerie Friend does is supposed to be an actual friend of Viola's, and helpful in some way.

Scott

True, and Zethos is probably not all that helpful, when it comes down to it (other than in raising Gregorius' blood pressure, but Viola's quite capable of that on her own).