Character Development

Very creative--I like it.

Scott

I don't think any path you take is going to conflict with what Viola does--she's not a very conventional Merinita in some ways. If you do want to pursue Becoming, though, we can figure it out it works. Do you remember where the bit about rituals was to be found in the rules?

Scot

It's not a foreigner covenant--it's actually a dedicated covenant sponsored by the Tribunal itself.

I personally am not fond of the idea that the whole Tribunal speaks Greek primarily--while, as a former research of identity politics, I understand the pull of an exclusive identity, speaking (or, more to the point, reading) just Greek would be wildly impractical for the purposes of learning Hermetic magic, given that it would exclude the Theban magi from most of the books of the Order. Moreover, magi often move from one tribunal to another, meaning there would be a lot of "native" Latin-speakers in any case. Therefore, I think it's hard to imagine a Theban maga not having much knowledge of Latin, but you can go either way on the Greek.

Scott

I don't have the timeline to hand, but at this point I think the Mongols have conducted one raid on the Crimean Peninsula. The main Mongol push reaches our area in 1238ish--not for another 10 years. So as Salutor was intimating, if she group up among the locals, they would have been Kipchaks.

Scott

A few questions:

I want Philippa to be able to shoot mundane arrows and arrows that deliver a magical spell/effect (I see this as an attempt on my character's side to deal with her short range magic flaw)

• Can I use tethered and/or performance magic to achieve those effects (if I buy the virtues)? If needed, I can reinvent her as House Mercere - or, if possible, have her master the spells that require tethering.

What level is it to create a spell that creates an all animal arrow (feathers + bone + tooth as a tip)?

• How do I make the typical arrow of Cupid? I use a blunt tip to avoid killing the target, but other than that?

How can I make a horn bow (all Animal components) that has more power? CrAn or ReAn? How big a bonus does it yield?

Old threads on this:

https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/magical-bow-need-help-with-the-magic-theory/4361/1
https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/magical-bow-crossbow/1516/1
https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/bow-of-the-woodsman-item-for-moderation/1221/1

I'd have thought Tethered Magic should work - no need to be Mercere, although assistance from them in developing your potential could be a source of the Favours flaw if you wanted it. The downside is that you're shooting arcane connections to yourself about. If you wanted to know the relevant Mastery instead of the Virtue, I definitely think you should take Favours or something equivalent.

I don't think Performance Magic would help her get round the Short-Ranged Magic limitation - she could shoot instead of making Hermetic gestures, but it won't affect the range at all. Also note that the box on page 29 of The Mysteries: Revised Edition says Peformance Bow use would have to be "semi-ritualistic", and that trying to do it in combat would get three extra botches and treat all non-botches as die rolls of zero.

One the arrow: there's no "Create a Processed Animal Product" guideline that I can see, but the Herbam equivalent is one level higher than the Herban guideline for Creating a Plant Product, and there is an Animal Guideline at level 5 to create an animal Product.

So I'd say base 10 + 1 complexity (for multiple different materials) + R/D/T modifiers.

All Animal arrows might also be slightly less effective than ones with metal heads - I have a feeling there are some rules for primative weapons somewhere, but I can't remember where right now.

Cupid seems to call for Tethered + CrMe (or possibly charged devices). Plus, as you say, some way to avoid actually hurting the target.

What exactly are you trying to do with the bow? Cast a spell on it to make it more powerful? I need to think about that one a bit more.

I’m not sure what you’re after however Bow effects might include:

• modify bow to give it more flexibility when drawn and then far more stiffness/strength when released. Like rigid rope and subtle iron (what’s that spell from core) as a single more complex enchantment in a bow, or a spell your magus casts on whatever bow she uses. That should increase rate of fire and damage slightly.
  • reHe effect to teleport an arrow to the bow when the last one is fired. Like an auto-reload. Again either in an item or cast by Voice. (Ive written this in a crossbow)
  • spell to ensure auto-hit at extreme range. ReHe like the crystal dart, range Sight means a sniper who can strike at incredible ranges.
  • a ward which protects against arrows. Probably won’t work at the same time as you’re firing arrows.
  • special arrows could be made as potions with in use powers. Will take seasons to craft so Tethering (etc) is better but this is still a good option.
  • effect to summon your bow or create one when needed, or shrink it down or transform it to something else. Keep it hidden till needed.

[size=150]Wishbone of Flambau [/size]

Age 25
Height 8'4", 18st
Gender Male
Appearance, Huge man with blonde hair and blue eyes (very unusual for a Greek) with a misshapen face. He speaks slowly and deliberately and has a odd accent.
Size +2
Decrepitude
Warping
Confidence 1(3)

Personality Traits, Meddler +3, Loyal +2, Pious +1, Overconfident +1

[tableborder][tr][th][/th]
[th][/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Artes Liberales (Ritual Magic)[/td]
[td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Area Lore (Cycladean Islands)[/td]
[td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Athletics (Running)[/td]
[td]2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Awareness (Searching)[/td]
[td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Brawl (Fist)[/td]
[td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Code of Hermes (Wizard War)[/td]
[td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Concentration (Spells)[/td]
[td]2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dead Language Latin (Hermetic usage)[/td]
[td]4[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Folk Ken (Covenfolk)[/td]
[td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Great Weapon (Greatsword)[/td]
[td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Hunt (Tracking)[/td]
[td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Magic Theory (Inventing Spells)[/td]
[td]4[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Native Language Romaic Greek[/td]
[td]5[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Order of Hermes Lore (History)[/td]
[td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Parma Magic (Mentem)[/td]
[td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Penetration (Ignem)[/td]
[td]2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Philosophae (Rituals)[/td]
[td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Profession: Scribe (Copying)[/td]
[td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Second Sight (Invisible things)[/td]
[td]2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Survival (Islands)[/td]
[td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Swim (Diving)[/td]
[td]1[/td][/tr][/tableborder]

[th]Tech/Form[/th]
[th]Description[/th]
[th]Base[/th]
[th]Range[/th]
[th]Duration[/th]
[th]Target[/th]
[th]Ritual[/th]
[th]Spell Total[/th]
[th]MM Focus[/th]
[th]Casting Total[/th]
[th]Penetration[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Pilum of Fire Potency 4 - Hearth shaped pendant[/td]
[td]CrIg[/td]
[td]+15 fire damage[/td]
[td]10[/td]
[td]Voice +2[/td]
[td]Instant +0[/td]
[td]Individual +0[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[td]20[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[td]Aura+50[/td]
[td]Aura+33[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ball of Abysmal Flame Potency 4 - Hearth shaped pendant[/td]
[td]CrIg[/td]
[td]+30 fire damage[/td]
[td]25[/td]
[td]Voice +2[/td]
[td]Instant +0[/td]
[td]Individual +0[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[td]35[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[td]Aura+50[/td]
[td]Aura+18[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Palm of Flame[/td]
[td]CrIg[/td]
[td]Creates flames on a hand equivalent to a torch[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]Touch +1[/td]
[td]Concentration +1[/td]
[td]Individual +0[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[td]5[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[td]Aura+46[/td]
[td]Aura+44[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Blade of the Virulent Flame[/td]
[td]CrIg[/td]
[td]Flames an edged weapon for the greater of double or +5 damage[/td]
[td]5[/td]
[td]Touch +1[/td]
[td]Diameter +1[/td]
[td]Individual +0[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[td]15[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[td]Aura+46[/td]
[td]Aura+34[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Doublet of Impenetrable Silk[/td]
[td]MuAn[/td]
[td]+3 soak to shirt[/td]
[td]4[/td]
[td]Touch +1[/td]
[td]Sun +2[/td]
[td]Individual +0[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[td]15[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[td]Aura+13[/td]
[td]Aura+0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Wizards Sidestep[/td]
[td]ReIm[/td]
[td]Image is moved giving a +9 defence bonus[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[td]Personal +0, +1 Changes image[/td]
[td]Sun +2, +1 Moves with caster[/td]
[td]Individual +0, +1 Size[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[td]15[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[td]Aura+13[/td]
[td]Aura+0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Days Vision of Vis[/td]
[td]InVi[/td]
[td]Shows Vis within sight[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[td]Vision +4[/td]
[td]sun +2[/td]
[td]Individual +0[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[td]15[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[td]Aura+13[/td]
[td]Aura-0[/td][/tr][/tableborder]

[tableborder][tr][th]Virtues and Flaws[/th]
[th][/th]
[th][/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Virtues[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mythic Blood (Prometheus)[/td]
[td]The bringer of fire. No fatigue loss if up to -10 casting totals on Formulaic Spells[/td]
[td]Major, Hermetic[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Giant Blood[/td]
[td]+1 Str & Sta wounds in 7 point steps[/td]
[td]Major, General[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Minor Potent Magic (Creating Fire)[/td]
[td]+3 Casting total for spells in potent area, can create potent spells in potent area to a limit of Magic Theory[/td]
[td]Minor, Hermetic[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Puissant Creo[/td]
[td]+3 Creo[/td]
[tr][td]Method Caster[/td]
[td]+3 Casting total for all spells cast in the normal way[/td]
[tr][td]Tough[/td]
[td]+3 Soak[/td]
[td]Minor, General[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Puissant Ignem[/td]
[td]+3 Ignem[/td]
[td]Minor, Hermetic, Free house virtue[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Minor Magical Focus - (Creating Fire)[/td]
[td]Add the lowest of Technique or Form in twice when calculating casting and lab totals.[/td]
[td]Minor, Hermetic, Free from Mythic Blood[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Flaws[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Weak Spontaneous Magic[/td]
[td]May not exert in Spontaneous casting so always divide by 5[/td]
[tr][td]Twilight Prone[/td]
[td]Test for twilight on a single botch[/td]
[tr][td]Favours[/td]
[td]Owes favours to the covenant of Polyagis[/td]
[td]Major, Story[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Covenant Upbringing[/td]
[td]Can take Latin and Order of Hermes lore during character creation. Fish out of water in non hermetic settings.[/td]
[td]Minor, Personality[/td][/tr][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Meddler[/td]
[td]Can't help wanting to "fix" peoples problems[/td]
[td]Minor, Personality, Free from Mythic Blood[/td][/tr][/tableborder]

From Mythic Blood
Preternatural Growth and Shrinking of the Giant (increases size by up to +2 or reduces by up to -4, affects metal animal based items - weapons, armour, leather clothing etc.)
MuCo (An,Te) Base 3, +1 affects bigger size, +2 Sun, +1 because the spell allows both growth or shrinking, +1 Double book effect, +2 requisites) level 30 requires vocals and gestures)

[th][/th]
[th][/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Creo[/td]
[td]9+3[/td]
[td]45[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Intellego[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]6[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Muto[/td]
[td]6[/td]
[td]21[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Perdo[/td]
[td]0[/td]
[td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Rego[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]6[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Animal[/td]
[td]0[/td]
[td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Aquam[/td]
[td]0[/td]
[td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Auram[/td]
[td]0[/td]
[td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Corpus[/td]
[td]0[/td]
[td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Herbam[/td]
[td]0[/td]
[td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ignem[/td]
[td]9+3[/td]
[td]45[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Imaginem[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]6[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mentem[/td]
[td]0[/td]
[td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Terram[/td]
[td]0[/td]
[td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Vim[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]6[/td][/tr][/tableborder]

[th][/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Intelligence[/td]
[td]+1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Perception[/td]
[td]+1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Presence[/td]
[td]-3[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Communication[/td]
[td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Strength[/td]
[td]+2/+3[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Stamina[/td]
[td]+3/+4[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dexterity[/td]
[td]+1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Quickness[/td]
[td]+1[/td][/tr][/tableborder]

[tableborder][tr][th]weapon[/th]
[th]Initiative[/th]
[th]Attack[/th]
[th]Defence[/th]
[th]Damage[/th]
[th]Strength[/th]
[th]Load[/th]
[th]Type[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Base Brawl[/td]
[td]+1[/td]
[td]+2[/td]
[td]+2[/td]
[td]+3[/td]
[td]N/A[/td]
[td]N/A[/td]
[td]Brawl[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Base Great weapon[/td]
[td]+1[/td]
[td]+2[/td]
[td]+2[/td]
[td]+3[/td]
[td]N/A[/td]
[td]M/A[/td]
[td]Great weapon[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dodge[/td]
[td]+1[/td]
[td]N/A[/td]
[td]+1 (+10 with spell)[/td]
[td]N/A[/td]
[td]N/A[/td]
[td]0[/td]
[td]Brawl[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Fist[/td]
[td]+1[/td]
[td]+3[/td]
[td]+3 (+12 with spell)[/td]
[td]+3[/td]
[td]N/A[/td]
[td]0[/td]
[td]Brawl[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Kick[/td]
[td]+0[/td]
[td]+2[/td]
[td]+2 (+11 with spell)[/td]
[td]+6[/td]
[td]N/A[/td]
[td]0[/td]
[td]Brawl[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dagger[/td]
[td]+1[/td]
[td]+4[/td]
[td]+2 (+11 with spell)[/td]
[td]+6 (+12 with spell)[/td]
[td]-3[/td]
[td]0[/td]
[td]Brawl[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Greatsword[/td]
[td]+3[/td]
[td]+7[/td]
[td]+4 (+13 with spell)[/td]
[td]+12 (+24 with spell)[/td]
[td]+1[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[td]Great weapon[/td][/tr][/tableborder]

[tableborder][tr][th]Situation[/th]
[th]Stamina[/th]
[th]Tough[/th]
[th]Armour[/th]
[th]Spells[/th]
[th]Soak total[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Armoured and prepared[/td]
[td]+4[/td]
[td]+3[/td]
[td]+9[/td]
[td]+3[/td]
[td]19[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Unarmoured and prepared[/td]
[td]+4[/td]
[td]+3[/td]
[td]+0[/td]
[td]+3[/td]
[td]10[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Armoured and unprepared[/td]
[td]+4[/td]
[td]+3[/td]
[td]+9[/td]
[td]+0[/td]
[td]16[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Unarmoured and unprepared[/td]
[td]+4[/td]
[td]+3[/td]
[td]+0[/td]
[td]+0[/td]
[td]7[/td][/tr][/tableborder]

[tableborder][tr][th]Damage[/th]
[th]Effect[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]0[/td]
[td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]1-7[/td]
[td]-1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]8-14[/td]
[td]-3[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]15-21[/td]
[td]-5[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]22-28[/td]
[td]Incapacitated[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]29+[/td]
[td]Dead[/td][/tr][/tableborder]

Equipment Full Chainmail (Load 6), Greatsword (Load 2). Burden 3, Encumbrance 0

The child who became known as wishbone was born in a small village on the south eastern coast of Greece. His mother died birthing him and his father’s grief and the child’s Gift led to his abandonment on sandy shore to die from exposure to the elements. He did not die though, he lived by feeding on the carcasses of dead see life washed up on that desolate shore, a place that held a weak magical aura due to its stark natural beauty. The lad was huge for his age and the locals soon learned to avoid the beech for fear of the resident giant. When a passing redcap heard the tale, he decided to investigate. When he approached the five-foot child, it was clutching a bone from a large sea bird which it thrust at the approaching redcap. “do you mean to harm me with a wishbone child?” asked the redcap, “vshbne” came the reply. “That’s right, wishbone” answered the redcap. “Wshone” came the reply, the child had his first word. Once the redcap had befriended the child with application of food and friendly demeanour he was able to bring him by boat to the island and covenant of Polyaigos for training and education. The child kept the nickname of his first and favourite word as was known to all as Wishbone. He proved to be of higher than average intelligence and of great strength and stamina, all agreed he was most likely an unusually brilliant Drakoi blooded human and as such the magus Gerasimos the Simple took great interest in him. It was no surprise that at the next ceremony of apprenticeship Gerasimos presented the greatest number of tokens to ensure the lad became his apprentice and house Flambau gained a new aspirant.
The training was much the same as any other apprenticeship for the first few years until it became plain to even simple Gerasimos that Wishbone did not have the blood of the Drakoi at all but was a giant of another type all together. This left Gerasimos feeling cheated, angered and with a greatly reduced interest in the lad. He performed his duty to give one season a year to his apprentice but his heart was not in the matter. The other magi of the covenant could see what was happening and pledged to ensure the young man received a proper grounding in hermetic magic. Between them they ensure the apprenticeship covered all the elements required, a fact that Wishbone became more and more grateful for as he got older. (This avoided the weak parens flaw and gave the favours to magi of Polyaigos flaw). At the time the covenant was at it’s full compliment of eight magi so once gauntleted Wishbone would not be able to join the covenant, even if he had wished to. His parens did not offer him a new name after Wishbone completed his gauntlet simply saying “Your name, like your future is not mine to say. Do as you will”. Wishbone saw no reason to change his name as it reminded him of hard times and the opportunity the order had given him. It was 1228 and the new magi Wishbone of Flambau travelled to Delos for the tribunal to see which covenants, if any, would welcome him as a new member.

Didn't have much time yesterday. About the ritual magic it turns out that I had either some house rule or something wrong in my memory.
From TMRE 86

Although this is special for a Daimon it shows that ritual magic no longer work when you can't spend fatigue what make Mercurian Magic combined with Becoming a bad idea.

My new Idea is a Glamour & Dream mage (Imaginem focus) who was kidnapped from a Jann Tribe (TC&TC 78) to become a apprentice of a Merinita around 3 decade ago.
The innitiation to the Dream Magic minor mystery was done before the the end of the apprentice time during a dream (its the typical way this MC is doing it)

Edit: Started with the first years

Virtue:
3 Major Hermetic Faerie-Raised Magic
3 Major Supernatural Faerie Blood Jann Blood (TC&TC 78 +1 Presence but only up to 3)
1 Minor General Independent Study (+2 Practice & + 3 Adventure source ql)
1 Minor General Inoffensive to Faerie
1 Minor General Alluring to Faerie
1 Minor Hermetic Dream Magic (TMRE 102)

Flaw:
3 Major Social Outsider
3 Major Story Supernatural Nuisance (Faerie want to involve the char into their stories)
1 Minor Personality Faerie Upbringing
1 Minor Personality Carefree
1 Minor Hermetic Susceptibility to Divine Power
1 Minor Hermetic Weak Scholar

Early Childhood
75 Native Language Arabic (Trade) 5
15 Awarness (Alertness) 2
30 Guile (Disguise) 3
Age 6 & 7
05 Animal Handling (Camel) 1
05 Faerie Lore (Jann) 1
05 Second Sight (regiones) 1
15 Language Classical Greek 2 (thought by the Theban Tribunal in the year till the Tribunal where he got his paren. This year is only added because I think this tribunal would do it this way)

Can't go on building my character unless I know. So please anser MTKnife:

• can everybody use "tethered" spell mastery? If no, under which circumstances can a mage learn it?

I think my first question about this character is "why are they at Nova Castra"? Is it as simple as wanting to lie low (given the Dream Witches' status as bogemen of the Order), or is there another reason?

Comments on Virtues and Flaws:

• Outsider isn't compatible with Hermetic Magus
  • If you want to have been initiated during your apprenticeship, you should take the Cabal Legacy Flaw in place of Supernatural Nuisance. If you do end up keeping Supernatural Nuisance for some reason, can you make it more specific? Faeries always want to involve people in stories - in what way is he in particular being targeted, and why?
  • Remember you get 5xp free in Second Sight.
  • You'll need a Virtue granting access to Academic Abilities to learn Classical Greek before his apprenticeship.

I think Tethered mastery requires the Mutanes virtue - there was a recent thread listing the free ones vs virtue based.

About the outside flaw your wrong as RoP:D special state under the Outsider Minor Social Flaw

what means Magi can and in some cases, like in mine, HAVE to take the outsider major flaw. Maybe you just didn't know that there was a change at some point that some social status like Hermetic Magus can be taken in combination with many other social status.

About the Classical Greek your right from the rules but for this caracter taking the 1 year pre apprentice means actual a lost of 15 exp compared to taking 1 year after apprentice but if you want to force this rule I don't mind to start the apprentice time at 6 instead of 7. As mentioned I only added this year because the Thebes Tribunal actual educate their apprentice in the time between finding them and the next tribunal.

There some reason to go to away covenant, 1 run from the dominion, 2 there faerie and so good orportunity to learn new magic.

Isn't Cabal Legacy only when your paren is the one instructing you? Also is this at all suitable when your already part of one of the 4 Mystery cult houses? (Beside that the dream magic is a Hermetic Mystery in the book and not just Mystery what means its a actual Hermetic virtue that don't need a initiation at all when taken from the start virtues)

As I read it, without being a Mutant herself, at best she could have learned Tethered Magic for a specific spell, and, as Salutor suggsted, the Mercere would have exacted a cost for that training. Doing it with multiple spells wouldn't be out of the question, but the costs would add up.

I think if you want a more general ability, I think charged items (as ironboundtome suggested) might be a better way to go.

Scott

What is the current year of this game? 1228 the year of the grand tribunal?
Where there any Theban Tribunal that was shifted in the year or can I simply calculate 1221 - x times 7 to get the dates? (need to place apprentice start and end on a tribunal year)

I'm definitely going to write a mutant.
What I do not understand yet is: What is Tamed magic for?
From the description, mutantes magic gives tethering harnessing and boosting without the ugly side effects anyway.

Mutatum Magic allows you to invent "tamed" versions of spells in your lab
while Tamed Magic allows to use tamed magic with all your spells even spontaneous one.

Cool! And off he goes to the drawing board...

[size=150]Philippa filia Maximus Mutantus, at gauntlet [/size]

Please review
open questions: -can she start with a better quality bow?

Characteristics: Int +2, Per 0, Pre 1, Com -1, Str +2, Sta +2, Dex +2 Qik +1
Size: -1
Decreptitude: 0
Warping Score: 0
Confidence: 1(3)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift; Hermetic Magus; Affinity with Muto, Cautious bows, Cyclic magic, Improved characteristics, Inventive genius, Mutantum Magic, Puissant bows, *Puissant Muto (House Virtue), Skilled parens, Subtle magic, Venus blessing; Rigid Magic, Short-Ranged Magic; Driven (minor): Become a Bowmaid of Legendary Repute, Lecherous (minor), Mentor, Small Frame
Reputations:
Personality Traits: brave+2, lecherous +2, Loyal +2
Combat:
Brawl (dagger): Init +1, Attack +8, Defense +3, Damage +5
Horse Bow: Init -1, Attack +14, Defense +8, Damage +9, Range: 15
Soak: +2
Fatigue Levels (human shape): 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties (human shape): -1 (1-4), -3 (5-8), -5 (9-12), Incapacitated (13-16), Dead (17+)
Abilities: Artes Liberales (alphabets) 1, Athletics (running) 1, Awareness (alertness) 1, Bows (Horse Bow) 4+2, Brawl (dagger) 1, Charm (magi) 1, Code of Hermes (Theban tribunal) 1, Concentration (spells) 1, Craft: Bowmaking (Fletching) 1, Etiquette (magi) 1, Folk Ken (Magi) 1, Guile (magic) 1, Latin (Hermetic) 4, Magic Theory (Muto) 3, Order if Hermes Lore (Theban Tribunal) 1, Romaic Greek (reading) 5, Parma Magica (Animal) 1, Ride (ponies) 1, Scribe (diligent) 1, Survival (Plains) 1, Swim (river) 1
Arts: Cr 0, In 0, Mu 15+3, Pe 0, Re 0, An 5, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 5, He 5, Ig 4, Im 0, Me 0, Te 5, Vi 0
Twilight Scars: none yet
Equipment: Horse Bow, quiver with arrows, dagger, wizardly robes
Encumbrance: 0
Spells known: explained below
Pony from dust MuTe(An)25/+25 H
Doublet of Impenetrable Silk MuAn15/+25
Personal Aura of Ennobled Presence MuIm10/+20
Disguise of the Transformed Image MuIm15/+20 H
Every girl wants to be a Swan MuCo(An,He,Te)35/+25 HT
The Voice of the Bjornaer Magus MuAn15/+20
Arrow – Boom MuIg(An,He,Te)30/+24 HT
Scales of the Magical Weight InVi5/+2

Vis: currently none
Appearance: Philippa is small and doesn’t look exceptional with her brown hair and brown eyes. But there is a bounce to her step and a sway to her hip that men like and women don’t.
Voting sigil: An arrow with a bodkin tip. A closer examination reveals that the stuff on the tip is dragon-blood.
Spell sigil: hot (sexy)

Early Childhood (years 1-5)
Philippa’s mother was a redcap (vis banker) stationed at Alexandria, near Smyrna. Her grandfather is a mutantum mage in Rohrschach ()Alps). She grew up around magi and redcaps and was lucky to have her Gift discovered when she was still a baby.
45xp+language: Area Lore Western Anatolia (Geography) 1, Athletics 1, Awareness 1, Brawl 1, Charm 1, Folk Ken 1, Guile 1, Survival 1, Swim 1, Romaic Greek 5

Childhood (years 6+7):
As she got older, she got a pony immune to the Gift from her grandfather, which gave her childish ideas of becoming an amazon. Since she wasn’t allowed to learn how to shoot a bow yet, she instead slunk around the bowmaker’s workshop. Although she disliked it, she was also made to sit in on her mother’s deals with mages.
30xp: Bargain 1, Etiquette 1, Ride 2, Craft: Bowmaking 1

Apprenticeship (years 8 to 22)
Her grandfather Maximus Mutantus took her to Rohrschach (Alps) as soon as she turned 7 to apprentice her. A warm-hearted, friendly man, he took a very personal interest in her growth. Maybe, he was even too kind, because an accident in her second year made it difficult for her to use vis and to use magic at a distance.
150xp: Artes Liberales 1, Bows 4+2, Code of Hermes 1, Concentration 1, Latin 4, MT 3, OOHL1, Parma 1, Scribe 1
150xp: Arts: Mu 15+3, Co 5 An 5, He 5, Te 5, Ig 4
150 lvls of spells (T=Tethered, H=Harnessed):

Pony from dust MuTe(An)25/+25 H
Maximus Mutantus invented this spell for his granddaughter to learn when her old pony died. Since his sigil is elegance, it is a very good-looking pony indeed. Like all spell-created horses, it is immune to the Gift. Since they are both mutants, he used a harnessed spell, so the pony can be dissolved at an appropriate time. (Base 5, +1 Touch, +3 Moon)

Doublet of Impenetrable Silk MuAn15/+25
Personal Aura of Ennobled Presence MuIm10/+20
Disguise of the Transformed Image MuIm15/+20 H
Every girl wants to be a Swan MuCo(An,He,Te)35/+25 HT (see HoH:TL, p. 102)
The Voice of the Bjornaer Magus MuAn15/+20 (from HoH:MC, p. 36)

Arrow –Boom MuIg(An,He,Te)30/+24 HT
Turns a Fire touched into an arrow (before it can burn the caster). The arrow ends the spell on impact. This spell has three uses: It can quickly extinguish fires. It can be given to someone to start an instant fire (e.g. a traveling redcap). It can also be shot at a target with magic resistance: Impacting on a Parma replaces the magical arrow attack with a non-magical fire attack. Redcaps are advised to safely dispose of the arrow before the duration ends naturally… (Base 10; +3 Moon, +1 Touch)

Scales of the Magical Weight InVi5/+2

Hmm. I wasn't aware of that line in RoP:tD, and I suspect it was an oversight rather than an intentional rules change. Regardless, I think it falls under "A Flaw that will not impede a character is not really a Flaw" - you're a magus at a covenant, and will probably stick out less with the locals than some of the other magi.

Is there a specific explicit change you're referring to here? I'm certainly not aware of that (beyond the erratum saying Magister in Artibus is compatible with Hermetic Magus). If that is what you mean, can you point me to it?

I think that would be a source of the Virtue Educated, rather than a reason it wasn't required.

Does your character have a particularly strong urge to avoid the dominion, then? Whilst we do have more large areas of wilderness (steppe) nearby than some covenants do, we're by no means completely cut off from it - the local village will have a divine aura, as does the local town (at least mostly). Also note that whilst we have a faerie regio (which is pretty much Viola's sanctum), we have a magic rather than faerie aura.

Basically, it doesn't feel like anything that would single out our covenant in particular?

Are you saying you want to have it inherently, rather than as a result of membership of the Volshebnii Mechtateli? I'll leave it to MTKnife as to whether he wants to allow that (and as to what the cult's reaction would be...)