Characters development discussions

Ah, yes, the Spell Mastery can of worms. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Adaptative Casting: There is only a single mastery ability for all levels of a General spell. The first mastery option of a general spell must be Adaptative Casting, even if you only know a single version of the spell. Everyone has access to this mastery. (I get final say on what is or isn't a General spell.)

Other non-core masteries: Yes, some of them may be accessible, but they will require story events. Consider them the equivalent of Minor virtues being taught through Mystery initiations.

I will add that to the House Rules.

OK. Cool. Good to know, especially since I was considering starting with Aegis of the Hearth.

OK. That sounds cool.

I should ask about Wizard's Icy Grip, then, since the first level of Mastery may have to be Adaptive Casting.

Guys, I'm planning on taking Aegis of the Hearth (ReVi 20). I could start with it as high as level 35. But this won't cost as much vis, and I'll get about 20 penetration when casting it. That assumes Life Boost does not apply. Taking a higher starting level will cost some penetration as well as eat into my other starting spells

@Arthur I'm now looking at only two customizations of core book spells:

Unraveling the Threads of Vim - Unraveling the Fabric of Vim at R: Touch
Sustaining the Demanding Spell - Maintaining the Demanding Spell at D: Moon

The rest are straight from the core book: Wizard's Icy Grip, Demon's Eternal Oblivion, Aegis of the Hearth, and Suppressing the Wizard's Handiwork.

LVL 20 is already nice, Thanks for the sacrifice on starting spell already. We'll eventually take a higher lvl when we'll learn a Wizard communion at special duration working on ritual to help you cast It.

Yes, therein was one of the debates. But it shouldn't be hard to find a lab text for a higher-level version, so it won't take long to acquire that. Mostly we all just need to acquire Day of Communion to get that nice penetration boost.

Accepted

Oh, and I'll probably just go with "cold" for a Minor Magical Focus. It's fairly limited, but it should be fun.

I'm not sure if we're building companions for this, but I'm looking to have a warrior with Faerie Upbringing and Faerie Friend (a sprite that follows him around as a 'squire'). Possibly with Strong Faerie Blood and either Enchanting Music or Entrancement. I'll share more details as I build the sheet.

For now I am in no hurry to build companions. Let's wait until the covenant is more clearly defined and you know what the needs are.

But be aware that characters with significant faerie links will not be allowed, as that would interfere with the mystery of the disappearance of House Merinita.

That's actually very good to know, thank you.

What Layout do you want for the character's description ?

• Apparence
  • Personality
  • Major events of story ? I used to make long BG with every flaws and virtues explained for but It ends up too diluted to be a good reference later. Maybe I should Keep this part around 20-25 lines ?

First post, just the game stats and notes (if any). Second post, appearance, background and history. Further posts, things like familiar, talisman, magic items, lab, etc.

Not particularly worried about a specific format. Don't waste time making tables or anything like that. If something is missing or an issue pops up, I'll let you know and you can edit it. If it's really minor (like a typo) I may edit it myself.

Here's where I am right now so the stats can be examined by SG. I've got most the background written up; a bit cliche but also with some open ends that are unknown, some of which could connect to the main story line. Most importantly, Driven is "determined to protect the Order from enemies within and without" fits the setting well, though I guess Ambitious with heading toward being a hoplite, an archmage, etc. would work, too.

Alis of Bonisagus, filia ?

Characteristics: Int +3, Per +1, Str 0, Sta +2, Pre +1, Com +1, Dex -3, Qik +1
Size: 0
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Confidence Score: 1 (3)
Virtues and Flaws: Affinity with Perdo, Affinity with Vim, Cautious Sorceress, Covenant Upbringing, Diabolic Past, Driven (major), The Gift, Hermetic Maga, Life Boost, Life-Linked Spontaneous Magic, Limited Magic Resistance (Corpus), Minor Magical Focus (Cold), Puissant Magic Theory, Puissant Parma Magica, Skilled Parens, Susceptibility to Infernal Power, Unimaginative Learner
Personality Traits: Brave +2, Determined +5, Loyal +3, Methodical +2
Reputations: -
Combat:

Weapon Init Atk Def Dam
Dodge n/a n/a +2 n/a
Fist +1 -2 +2 0
Kick 0 -2 +1 +2
Gauntlet & Heater Shield +1 -1 +7 +2

Soak: Stamina 2 + Protection ? + Form = ?
Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1–5), -3 (6–10), -5 (11–15), Incapacitated (16–20)
Abilities: Area Lore: Stonehenge Tribunal 1 (Hermetic Sites), Artes Liberales 1 (Ceremonial Casting), Athletics 1 (Dancing), Awareness 1 (Alertness), Brawl 1 (Gauntlets), Charm 1 (Seduction), Concentration 2 (Spells), Etiquette 1 (Hermetic), Finesse 1 (Speed), Folk Ken 1 (Men), Guile 1 (Slippery Truths), Infernal Lore 1 (Demons), Intrigue 1 (Hermetic), Language: Brythonic 5 (Welsh), Language: Latin 5 (Hermetic), Magic Theory 3+2 (Spells), Organization Lore: Order of Hermes 1 (House Bonisagus), Parma Magica 1+2 (Vim), Penetration 1 (Perdo), Philosophiae 1 (Ceremonial Casting), Profession: Scribe 1 (Illumination), Single Weapon 1 (Heater Shield), Stealth 1 (Indoors), Swim 1 (Underwater)
Arts: Perdo 11, Rego 9, Ignem 8, Vim 14
Casting Sigil:
Twilight Scars: -
Equipment: Heater shield, ?
Encumbrance: ?

SPELLS KNOWN:

Wizard’s Icy Grip (PeIg 30 / +31), Mastery 2: Adaptive Casting, Multiple Casting
Demon’s Eternal Oblivion (PeVi 20 / +27)
Unraveling the Threads of Vim (PeVi 20 / +29), Mastery 2: Adaptive Casting, Multiple Casting
Aegis of the Hearth (ReVi 20 / +28), Mastery 1: Adaptive Casting
Suppressing the Wizard’s Handiwork (ReVi 25 / +25)
Sustaining the Demanding Spell (ReVi 35 / +25)

APPEARANCE:

HISTORY:

Using Dex as a dump stat? Aren't you glad for the House Rule on books? :wink:

A few things here:

• Diabolic Past: You want lots of stories involving the Infernal? That is what Story flaws are about, telling the storyguide the type of stories you want. Combining it with Susceptibility to Infernal Power is almost a death wish.
  • LLSM + Life Boost: Having both of those is a bit unusual. Either can potentially kill you on a botch, though I see you too Cautious Sorcerer to diminish the risk, as well as some Mastery with your spells.
  • Puissant Parma Magica: I don't see this as plausible. Parma is something that is initiated only at the end of apprenticeship, so no training (such as the one received in House Bonisagus for Puissant Magic Theory) can help you gain that virtue. I'm not ruling it down, but what does the troupe say about this?

FYI, I like to see virtues and flaws listed seperatedly; I just find it easier to read.

I haven't checked your xp closely.

I assume you want to make your eventual talisman a shield?

That's what I was laughing about earlier, saying I would get the books last. But it will also cause problems with stealth and the like. I did not also go with Strength as a dump stat. I don't like doing it with more than one notable flaw, and certainly not something like Int +3, Per +3, Str +3, Qui +3 by using Str -3, Sex -3, Com -3 or similar.

I'll post the background soon which will help explain it. I was torn between a few that were roughly the same thing in the end. You may be right about the combo, so maybe I should rethink Susceptibility to Infernal Power. I was considering it to make doing what is needed notably harder. But this is also why I present rough drafts.

I'm not sure it's so unusual. For instance, the only canon Mystery Cult I've seen granting LLSM grants both. I think you misunderstand them a little, too. Life Boost only risks hurting you if you choose to put in more Fatigue than you have, in which case you need to Soak some damage. But botching is irrelevant except for the botched spell itself. Meanwhile, LLSM only risks killing you if you go to too high a level since you never Soak anything. As long as you use it when you're fresh, you can handle a decent amount without risking death. Now, that's not to say it isn't risky. But you can downgrade "potentially kill you" to sub-killing.

I can change it if desired. I take the Virtue as meaning you are "particular adept" at something, not that you've specifically had extra training in it, which is why I hadn't seen a problem. But I'll go along with whichever way.

I'll change the formatting. I just went with the core book's style.

Yes, I expect so. Not committing to it yet, but I'm certainly leaning that way.

That typo gave me a laugh. :laughing:

If you were touched by the Infernal, than Susceptibility to Divine Power would be a possibilty.

Is your Diabolic Past known to House Guernicus? Others? It'll be interesting to see that in your background. :slight_smile:

Whoops! Hah!

That might do. I'd thought of it as sort of a back door that had been left for Hell.

Note, I use question marks to mark spots to go back to to fill in names or continue a thought when editing. Really, I use stars, but the forums then use those for formatting. My thought was that there were others involved behind masks. Were they magi? Were they not? Was the child really sacrificed? Is it still alive? Too bad there is no-one with T: Bloodline around to help; maybe if they could be found...

Aquired as an infant, Alis was raised at Blackthorn and groomed to be the apprentice of Honoratus of Flambeau. Growing up in a covenant and not remembering a time she was not destined to become a Hermetic maga, Alis knows no life but within the Order of Hermes. Her upbringing left her with an odd mix of Christian and Mercurian beliefs as well as a curious view of mortals that will likely persist forever.

Apprenticeship seemed to start well, with great power suddenly at her fingertips once her Gift was opened and secrets being whispered to her by a powerful figure. Excitement became expected hard work as Alis trained heavily in Perdo and Ignem, fitting for a Flambeau. Then hard work gave way to horror as she discovered the depths to which her master had sunk, and now that she was his for fifteen years he could use her for his Infernal purposes. Her lowest point came at the age of sixteen, when her baby via an incubus was taken from her before she could hold it to be sacrificed for some purpose. ?? (fill in) ??

A young quaesitor, ??? of Guernicas, had become suspicious of Honoratus but lacked sufficient clout to progress against the esteemed magus. So he approached an older amicus of his, ??? of Bonisagus, telling ??? of his suspicions and of the talented young apprentice Honoratus was abusing. Together they hatched a plan, with ??? claiming the apprentice as his own and allowing ??? to probe her mind for Infernal experiences. ?? (fill in) ??

While Honoratus had trained Alis in the School of Boreas, ??? focused on her defenses against the Infernal, training her heavily in Rego and Vim. After eleven years with him, Alis regained lost trust in Hermetic magi and became determined to protect the Order from enemies within and without. She hopes to one day become both a hoplite and an archmaga and perhaps even a high-ranking member of a Tremere vexillation, the greatest hunter of the Infernal and traitorous magi ever. Her first test true along the road to becoming a magical warrior was her apprentice’s gauntlet: slaying a small drake released into the wilderness. Helping start this emerging covenant is her next.

A few additional comments...

The Gauntlet does not fit what is standard for House Bonisagus. That's more of a Flambeau Gauntlet.

Why did her master of House Bonisagus keep her as an apprentice instead of passing her along to someone more suited to training someone in defense against the infernal?

Her Infernal Lore seems low, considering her background. Code of Hermes would make sense also. In fact, her Abilities seem all over the place and don't reflect the background very will, IMO. Nothing specifically bad, but very scattered. Some specialties are a bit strange considering her negative experiences with her master.

I would expect her to have trust issue, but I don't see anything like that in her Personality Traits.

Oh, forgot earlier. What use is Multiple Casting with Unraveling the Threads of Vim, since it is R:Touch? That doesn't seem very useful. Fast Casting, Penetration, Quiet Casting and Still Casting would seem much more useful to me.

Unless I am missing something, I see 450 xp (excluding native language). By my calculations that would make her 25, not 27, considering that Skilled Parens give her an extra 60 xp.

Before replying to specifics, here are some other ideas (stated only briefly) I had with Honoratus:

1. He was perfectly fine, but his apprentice was stolen and only managed a measly Bonisagus gauntlet. She's not worthy. Tormenting Master and Ambitious rather than Diabolic Past and Driven.
  2. He was killed by enemies (within or without, possibly wizard's war), and she knows it Now she has the same enemies. Enemies rather than Diabolic Past.
  3. (I'm spacing on one other I had...)

True. I felt is was more fitting to the character, and it seemed cool. But I can easily change that.

If you're good at Rego and Vim, you can do it quite well. Meanwhile, would you pass up an apprentice with Int +3 already trained in MT? Plus, if you're researching, Cautious Sorceress helps out in lab work.

Yes, I should probably raise Infernal Lore. Code of Hermes was forgotten. As for Abilities, a lot of those are supposed to cover general background, between youth, being trained by a Flambeau, and being trained by a Bonisagus.

That was the missing one I'd forgotten! Suspicious +2. But I think I have too many at that point, so I'll have to trim or consolidate...

R: Touch works on spells you've got. It's a great way to turn off shape shifting, for example.

I agree with 450. I just disagree with your calculations of age: 45 + 7 x 15 + 240 + 60 = 45 + 105 + 240 + 60 = 450