Consolidating Possible Expansions of Hermetic Theory

Tailored Magic
Minor
A set of additional guidelines: Sense all of the information required to tailor a spell to a specific recipient In[Fo] (Vi)* 10.

Renata of Bonisagus first introduced these guidelines to the Order when she presented House Tremere with the following item as part of her challenge to Archmage Albertus of the Transylvanian Tribunal, who had set a task of "donating the most useful item to House Tremere after 3 years of work".

*I hesitated over the Forms to use here - I could make an argument for needing only the base Form, needing only Vim or needing one with the other as a requisite.

Boots of Easy Fit
These large boots of fine leather with silver and gold ambroidery have been opened as a compound device using 22 pawns of vis and enchanted with the following effects:

Know My Wearer
InCo(Vi) 25
When triggered by the wearer of the boots, this effect gathers all necessary information about the wearer of the boots to tailor an effect triggered immediately after this one specifically for them. This effect has no penetration, so a magus is advised to surpress their Parma before attempting to use it.
(Base 10 + 1 Touch; + 10 unlimited uses per day)

Shape the Magic of Corpus
MuVi 33
Triggered by Know My Wearer, this effect uses the information provided by that spell to tailor Leap of Homecoming to the wearer of the boots.
(Base 15 + 1 Touch; + 10 unlimited uses per day; +3 linked trigger)

Leap of Homecoming
ReCo 53
As per the spell, but at touch range.
(Base 35 + 1 Touch; +10 unlimited uses per day; +3 linked trigger)

A Perfect Fit
MuAn 20
Allows the wearer to reshape the boots until they perfectly fit their feet.
(Base 4 + 1 Conc; + 10 unlimited uses per day + 5 item maintains concentration

No Time for That!
ReCo 55, +50 penetration
Transports the wearer instantly up to 500 paces, to a place they can see or have an arcane connection to. As the main effect of the boots took three rounds to fully activate and required a magus to suppress their Parma, Renata enchanted the boots with this alternative enchantment which should hopefully get its wearer out of any immediate trouble.
Base 20 + 1 Touch; +5 24 uses per day, +25 penetration

5 Likes

While not a direct change to Hermetic Magic the following piece of original research seems like it would involve a modification of laboratory procedures. (And possibly the willingness to assist those with high Magic Theory. ) Although there may be arguments about if this is considered time actually instructing an apprentice or not...

Instructive Supervision
Original Research - Minor Breakthrough [30 points]

Relevant Spells: Any created with the aid of a single laboratory assistant with Magic Theory 2+.

Effect: Any seasonal laboratory activity performed with a single assistant is treated as Training (AM5 p164) for that assistant as though the magus were 'earning a living' using Magic Theory.

5 Likes

This can very reasonably be argued to be the default state of the game. I dont think that interpreting lab assistance/training this way is the most common way to play, but IMO there is a pretty strong case that lab assistance already falls within the scope of the "Training" seasonal activity.

2 Likes