Convention of the Redcaps (Autumn 1230)

There is nothing in your phrasing that maintains that they would be the same person. I suggest dropping that bit. What benefit is it to us? We no longer need worry about scrimping on vis.
My thing about rent is I was hoping for a flat fee. In my old calculations, the count as a source of income worth 100£ per year. But I also now realize I need to recalculate that whole thing, and we are running at a 900£ annual surplus already, so maybe rent is not as big an issue as I had feared. So that is not a big worry after all, so long as they pay any amount of hard currency as symbolic of their renting use of the space but they do not own it.

This thing can also tie in nicely with our chapterhouse. Barcelona needs our help with the Sa Dragonera project. It is worth 40 pawns of vis a year to them. Our participation in this joint venture with them could be a way of convincing them to cooperate with the portal project. Between this and Solomon, I am willing to say that they will agree to any reasonable proposal that Soloman arbitrates (as per the Duresca story he was just in).

I did want to try and squeeze Vocis and some Tremere politics in there, but oh well :slight_smile:
next time :wink:

So, change it to, like, "The Lodge's resident Magus Merceris will cast the Aegis at no additional cost to Andorra."?

Tiana suggests rewording it to: "Andorra will offer membership at Master level to any one Mercurian magus Mercere, at House Mercere's discretion."

To replace the last line, "The Lodge will have a Magus Merceris in permanent residence at all times."? Or the second one, "The Lodge will provide the service of a Mercurian magus to cast the Aegis at no additional cost to Andorra."?

To replace both lines. Otherwise, if the Magus Mercere decides to move, or if there just aren't enough of them to station someone here, it's a breach of contract.

Arachné will avoid Vulcanus like hell. They had enough clashes that she don't want things to escalate (she already threatened him with certamen once, after all)

@Peregrine: The mercere from earlier (the one I designed as a Proof of Concept for Ryu) casts aegis 25 with +51 CT (I did it so that, under the raw, she could cast her own aegis).
Given a season, a lab text and under andorra's rule, she can easily cast a more powerful one.

A proposed charter between the Andorran Lodge of Mercere and the Covenant of Andorra (take two):

• Andorra will receive the same Vis exchange rate that Mercere gives its own members: Form for Form or Technique for Technique at 1:1, or Technique for Form at 2:1 (and vice versa).
  • Andorra will provide the Vis for the casting of the Aegis of the Hearth.
  • Andorra will offer membership at Master level to any one Mercurian magus Mercere, at House Mercere's discretion.
  • The Lodge shall pay Andorra rent equal to 10% of the profits from Portal traffic, to be paid in silver on the winter solstice for the previous year, measured at a rate of £12 per pawn of vis;.
  • Andorra will provide the Lodge with a device by which we may check travelers for magic items within one year of the ratification of this Charter, for which Mercere will provide half again the vis cost of crafting said item.
  • The Lodge will monitor all traffic using the Lodge (particularly the Portals) for foreign magic items brought within our shared Aegis.
  • Andorra will collect no taxes on the profits of the Lodge's mundane hospitality.
  • The Lodge will have Hermes Portals installed connecting it to the Covenants of Barcelona, Doissetep, and Harco.

Made the changes suggested by Ryu/Tiana.

for the second bullet: the phrasing suggests we provide them with vis for them to cast their own Aegis. I think a better way to say it is to mention that the lodge will be part of the covenant and thus freely share in the Aegis.

I thought the whole point of the endeavor (such as paying rent to Andorra) was that the Lodge would be within, yet apart from, the Covenant. If the Red Cap Inn is going to be a part of Andorra, we're going to have to pretty much start from scratch, I think, because I had approached the whole deal with the above premise.

Or by "a part of the covenant" do you mean that it will be within the covenant grounds?

More so the second. One piece of property, one Aegis. But as for the first, I see nothing in your proposal that suggests otherwise. The Lodge isn't a separate entity apart from the covenant. It is a symbiotic entity within our covenant.

Then again, I am thinking we have different ideas of what "being part of" means in this instance. I am meaning it as in an apartment you rent is part of a building. You do not own the building or the apartment, the property management company does. You just rent exclusive use of it, you own all the property within and you have the right to peace and privacy. The landlord maintains the facilities and provides building security, and they are to be granted reasonable access provided they provide ample notice.
However, in this case the renters are part owners, for we hold a membership seat open and offer it to a Mercere. So what the Mercere are renting is in part owned by one or more Mercere.
So reading the thing over again, the basis looks just fine as far as I can see.
Except for that membership clause (I am nit-picky :mrgreen: )
I suggest it might read...
"Andorra will have at least one member that is a Magus of House Mercere.
always hold one membership seat to be held by a magus of House Mercere. If the seat is vacant, House Mercere may assign one at their discretion. The covenant may invoke the right to require House Mercere to provide up to three candidates"

I feel that Master status should be earned by our rules, not theirs. And once a Mercere is a Master, magus or Redcap, then they are permanently one of us, not to be reassigned at outside discretion. And you originally stated "a Mercurian magus Mercere". What do you have against the Mutantes?

We want cheap Aegises.

We don't need that. That's spring covenant stuff.

So, kind of like a condo.

Looks like you might have a backspace booch there. Do you mean, “Andorra will always hold one membership seat to be held by a magus of House Mercere. If the seat is vacant, House Mercere may assign one at their discretion. The covenant may invoke the right to require House Mercere to provide up to three candidates."

Yeah :smiley:

For further development of these issues, see Christmas in Barcelona, which takes place two years later at the end of 1233.