Cool concepts for your least favorite House

Anyone who finds that unrealistic should reconsider.
Actually, that's an interesting concept for a Tremere: a young enthusiastic magus who eventually becomes Dilbert-esquely cynical and disillusioned about the byzantine bureacracy of his House.
"You mean the Schism war ... happened by accident?" "No, no, more like ... a procedural quirk, if you wish. You see, the subcommittee on the Standardization of Robes was waiting for the report on the Vermillion Verve Vexillation ... what's that you ask? How am I supposed to know?"

4 Likes

I thought about this too.
tytalus can be jerks or self-entitled pricks who think they got it good because they are better (insert billionaire and self-made man analogy here)

Thus, a new concept: The Friendly Tytalus.
They think that, like the order at its inception, to grow stronger, you must grow together.the Conflict ethos only divides and leaves people less likely to help a tytalus magus. So, in the end, tytalus are weaker because of it. Conversely, the Tremere are weak, but they Support and help each other, making the house a strong one.
The Friendly tytalus wants to challenge these conceptions and make friends. they all about " I help you in the lab, you help me in the lab. I teach you an art, you teach me one". their "conflict" is with the house ethos and image, which they want to change.

3 Likes

I think we've got something here.
** House**: Merinita
Concept:Banjo_the_Clown Creator and Worshipper
(BtCCW)

Reason I like this Concept: all the old traditions worshiped gods and got power from them. This, obviously, includes the Order of Mercury. for the BtCCW, this is still a possibility, save that you can now make your own god. like the Faerie Artist, they'll propagate stories and evidence about a god ( Banjo!) that they'll worship in return for power ( and it's always good to have a literal god on your side).
This could very easily be the start of a new Mystery Cult, one in which the deity directly acts as a mystagogue( one that, obviously, already knows the virtues sought)

EDIT: i should really call this concept godshapers.

4 Likes

The God Learners!
Faerie in 5th edition has a lot in common with Gloranthan metaphysics.

1 Like

another one!

**House:FLambeau
**REAson: **not realises that house fLAMBEA is awesom; still stuck in 3rd Ed, they mistake them for a bunch of psychopaths.
Concept : The pilum scientist

Reason I like this Concept: fire is the lighter of the elements, so, i you wanna fly really high, best to o it on some huge ball of fire (while being properly warded, of course).Th allows the kind of flight we see in Avatar or Castlevania.

2 Likes

That would be Aurum in Ars Majica.

I'm thinking of using fire streams to propel yourself like a rocket.

so this mage wants to reach the lunar sphere by having a vessel lifted by ever bigger and hotter fires :smiley:

Rocket jump? xD

1 Like

Thrust force was discovered post-medieval (It's a mid 1800s concept derived from Newtonian physics). In ars, ignem probably can't push you arround like a rocket.

Pretty sure Vitruvius and Heron were a little before mid 1800s. Now, that doesn't mean they had the modern physical understanding of it. But they did have the concept of thrust from steam. Not sure how far you could take this with a magus, though.

1 Like

As you mentioned Avatar, I was thinking how Azula tended to use the blue fire, which I always thought more as electrical, and Zuko didn't work out the flying thing.

Regarding the thrust force argument. I imagine there must have been gas pocket explosions and other explosive events in Medieval Europe. Not many, however, enough for someone to contemplate if they could just control the explosion, so instead of sending stuff everywhere, it could be harnessed. In Medieval Europe, the power to create controlled regular explosions is limited.

Mythic Europe with magi dabbling with fire, mythical fire breathing monsters, the capacity to create regular controlled explosions is possible.

1 Like

Have you heard of the podcast the silt verses? Its a really good horror podcast that has some pretty strong parallels to this

1 Like

Re: Steam, I think most magi would wonder why you'd want to be burned by your Pull of the Skybound winds by adding ignem and/or aquam into it. It's the kind of thing that only makes sense to an Elementalist with a steam immunity, that thinks it's going to be awesome to burn those close to him as he flies. Movement would likely be attributed to auram, not a nozzle through which steam is propelled. You're doing magic - not engineering.

That being said, the fact one author in antiquity figured something out doesn't mean it's part of aristotelian physics, nor that it's "science". Science is not the game's frame of mind, and shouldn't be used to adjudicate magical effects. Heron didn't make science - he had a lost ancient magic tradition. Even if you get his writing, you can't apply his knowledge/science (it's not merely advanced natural philosophae) - but you can try to recreate his magic system with research and/or initiation, to specific ends that are bound by virtues.

Of course. But remember that gases don't exist "Auram spells usually affect air as phenomena (winds, odors) rather than as gases (a modern concept)." There is just air. If you brought a torch there and it went boom, the air didn't explode - and it's certainly not because of a gas no one knows exists. A strange cave spirit who dislikes light in his domain? Definitely. Could you extract the gas and blow it up elsewhere? There is no gas. If you want that power, summon the spirit and compel it, or invent a creo ignem / auram spell (auram creates the blowback - although you could do rego corpus if you prefer). This is Mythic Europe, Aristotle and Plato knew everything there was to be known about the world, the earth is flat, and if you wander too far, you might fall off or get burned by hitting a wall of Pure Ignem a bit south of the known lands.

Quoteth Wikipedia:
" The earliest known European depiction of a cannon appeared in a manuscript by Walter de Milemete dated to 1326"

So we're a century too early for explosive propulsion, although Mongols had guns in the late 13th century. Wuwei Bronze Cannon - Wikipedia seems useful for dating this.

1 Like

Rocket thrust is not ArM paradigm, but fire is considered to seek its level. Harnessing the natural levity of fire to float into the highest reaches above the airy level sounds like it should work, at least at first glance.

There is the mild complication of the results of reaching the sphere of fire...

2 Likes

There's stones that float in water because of the fire they contain, who's to say you couldn't contain fire in something lighter than stone, say a large bag.

Just use Auram, but have a fire based sigil

2 Likes

that's the idea! you create a large, hot, fire It goes up, and you're on top of it, due to a suitable ward not unlike Project Orion(minus the explosions)

A ward against fire doesn't allow a fire to carry you.

1 Like

I've heard a whole bunch of people use that quote to make that statement. But, outside of the erroneous "a modern concept," that quote strongly suggests that you can target gases as gases. Otherwise "usually" is an extremely poor writing choice. Also, I'm pretty sure medieval people were aware of things like smoke and steam, so I don't think air was the only known gas. I don't know how they'd be categorized with the elements (mixes of mostly air with water and fire?), but that doesn't mean gases weren't recognized.

Uh, Aristotle argued the earth was spherical in On the Heavens.

Again, I'm not saying this is the right way to go in paradigm. I just don't think we should make arguments on what magi can or cannot do based on such misconceptions.

True. A related and more proper method I looked into was MuIg to make the fire solid along with Greater Immunity, and then have the fire move such as by turning it into a horse.

1 Like