Covenant of Caepernum (general info, themes for the periods)

I think we should do things as simple and basic as they can.

Assume a completely standard setup, until you spend time improving the lab. It makes perfect sense to assign 2 lab season in the first period to actually build a basic lab, because any normal magus building a new covenant probably needs to do that. I know this it not completely standard, because the young magus might as easily join an older covenant. The again this might make demands on the young magus' time due to services owed. But there are a myriad of variations and we can't encompass everything. Anyway, 2 seasons for this is not is unlikely to matter much once the magi pass +75 years post gauntlet.

I am checking the characters of Magi of Hermes to see which is the way in which Warping is handled. It seems that generally 30 points of warping are assigned for that first 15 years in most of the characters. And a few twilight scars assigned (normally none in this first period).

Aeric has twilight prone and I think that should affect in some way the warping gained. The quantity seems ok (otherwise he would only gain 6 warping from longevity ritual), but twilight rolls should be made, twilight scars gained and art xp gained or lost. Perhaps even virtues and flaws.

I have been thinking in gaining a virtue and a flaw together (I mean, two different twilights, but for balance purposes get a virtue and a flaw), or perhaps in different periods. I also will compensate the xp (some gained, some lost, result equal), but assign some twilight scars each period. How are you going to solve this?

It seems unrealistic to gain so few twilight scars. Where are those extra warping points gained if not from twilight experiences?

Remember than single Botches on spells yields 1 warping point but no risk of Twilight, unless you're Twilight Prone.
Also , spending time in high auras, under influence of powerful or long lasting magic. I don't know if any of the magi are using Longevity yet, but I know Corvus wants to create one early in year 16-30.
I think we did something simplified in Anulens Connectens. IRC we just took 2 warping per year, like the rules for converting magi from 4th ed says. If someone is Twilight Prone I'd use a higher yearly rate.

Yeah, single botches should be a major source of warping for normal characters. But being twilight prone, each of these is a chance of having a twilight, so I think that I should increase the number of scars and side effects, although it is true that having high vim also increases the ability to avoid twilight.

Healing magic has been the other big source of warping (for my troupe at least, that features two melee fighting magi). I don't know if that is also applicable for other more careful magi.

Anyway, I take that is expected to gain around 2 points/year in normal conditions. I will think about this and make changes relatives to warping to the first 15 years.

Could participants please post the progress of their designed magi?
And preferably copy-paste previous posters' information, so we'll get a complete list once the last one answers?

Corvus of Trianomae, advanced and posted year +30

Eletherius of Tremere: Created at gauntlet. Draft of +15 year advancement exists, but still missing character at end of period.

Could participants please post the progress of their designed magi?
And preferably copy-paste previous posters' information, so we'll get a complete list once the last one answers?

Eletherius of Tremere: Created at gauntlet. Draft of +15 year advancement exists, but still missing character at end of period

Eletherius of Tremere: Created at gauntlet. Draft of +15 year advancement exists, but still missing character at end of period

Samual, Follower of Bjornaer: drafted first 15 years on forums, I’ve got the 30 year planned except for a few seasons of spell lab work. I’m pondering plans for 45 year now in terms of the path through House Bjornaer.

Aeric ex Miscellanea created at gauntlet. I also posted the 15-year version. I have some ideas for the next period but I am waiting for Eletherius to do his 30 years to know what will I have to work with.

After an extensive absence, perhaps we can resurrect this?

Samual, Follower of Bjornaer: drafted first 15 years on forums, I’ve got the 30 year planned except for a few seasons of spell lab work. I’m pondering plans for 45 year now in terms of the path through House Bjornaer.

Gaudius of Verditius, adanced up to gauntlet +15

I’ll look at my notes for Corvus and see what I can come up with.
As I remember he came along way with the original concept of using ravens as spies, and managed to invent some insane spells with combat applications .
Don’t know if there is more in him

I can have a think about Eleutherius again (although he is somewhat intertwined with Aeric Ex Miscellanea, which may make advancing him more difficult if Aeric doesn't reappear - and I think they hadn't been posting much even before the forum went down).

I had a period of more intense work, so I stopped paying attention to the forum and when I wanted to come back, it was down.

But I am alive. I think that I will be able to come back to the forum regularly again.

Great - I'll have a look at exactly what I was hoping to work with Aeric on at some point probably this weekend.

I think the key question, though (The Covenant of Caepernum: Aeric exMiscellanea), was whether reading a text explaining a specific Solomonic Art was enough for Aeric to create meta-magic spells targetting instances of that Art (and whether it varied by technique - if so, Muto is probably the most difficult).

By RAW metamagics (MuVi) is limited to hermetic magic. You cannot metamagic Solomonic Magic. It probably requires a minor breakthrough. I don’t think that is major.

Yes, that’s how it’s written in the core rules under Muto Vim guidelines.
But mind you, this was written before any other traditions were written or defined.
In my interpretation, the way the Line of Pralix and Comprehend Magic is written, it sounds that with the proper observation and insight you can with this use Mu Vi on non Hermetic magic.

1 Like

In addition to the question of getting round the limitations on Muto Vim, there's also the other Techniques to consider - my impression is that Muto is probably the hardest of them, which makes sense given that what you're trying to do is much less of a blunt instrument than, say, Perdo-ing a spell to destroy it.

I think that you should be able to create Perdo and Rego spells targeting Solomonic arts just by reading the tractatus or even by talking to an initiated member like Eleutherium.

I wonder what a suppression spell of ReVi (the opposite of maintaining) would do to a spell sustained by a Jinni.

I agree with Aeric that reading a tractatus or observing a practitioner gives sufficient familiarity to use the specific Rego or Perdo guidelines

Ideally, Eleutherius would like a system whereby he goes out and finds out how Solomonic magic works, and writes tractatus to spread that within the Order (and in particular to Aeric), whilst Aeric takes that knowledge and then uses his skill with exotic magic to develop counter magics (and spreads those within the Order, and in particular to Eleutherius).

In theory Eleutherius could do the second bit himself as well, but his lab totals are going to be a lot lower which means things will take longer / only be possible later.

The thing he's probably most interested in right now (given that he's only researched Sihr and Solomonic Astrology so far) is CrVi shells which give false information to Solomonic Astrology in the same way that Shell of False Determinations does for Hermetic Intellego magic.