The Covenant of Caepernum: Aeric exMiscellanea

Technically they do not. But it does seem most appropriate if they are.

I see what you mean.
So Aeric will have to act as the "SG" to the character he's designing, to ensure any virtues gained fit a theme and not just be the best ones. A Mystery Cult should have a more or less set order for virtues following an selection which makes sense for the cult. However Aeric is not in a Mystery Cult, he is merely gaining virtues and suffering flaws due to uncontrollable and more or less random Twilight. So IMHO for these to follow what this situation would look like in actual play, the V&Fs would need to be connected to the magic actually being Botched. And this is most likely the magic of the magus' speciality and main field of interest. Statistically speaking, that is - the player ought to be rolling more often for this mind of magic than compared to something else, and should also Botch more often mere. However personally I tend to roll double Botches with some random, low level support spell cast on the way to do great stuff with my specialty magic..

Well, consider me surprised!
However reasonable it seemed, it was just our local convention and habit then.

I was thinking 2 twilights in each 15-year advancement phases, for a total of 12 scars in 90 years. Most of the twilights should be things that counter themselves if we have an equal proportion of good and bad twilights (gain xp, lose xp, gain spells, lose spells). So perhaps one minor virtue and one minor flaw, or, at most, two of each or one minor plus another major virtue, and one minor plus another major flaw. No room for much more.

I mean, I wasn't thinking to fit a grand theme with two elements. I thought that spirit familiar was related to the spells invented in this first period (to control magic and faerie spirits) and that botch story like the one of that twilight was reasonable. I also was thinking of a low-level Jinn for Aeric's familiar, but a magic dog would do equally fine and probably won't be as difficult to design (I have been fighting with the Magic Realm book recently). I had thought of the next period to add the balancing minor flaw, two more periods without virtues/flaws, and one virtue and one flaw for the last two periods.

Indeed.

Ultimately, it doesn't look like other people agree with me that there's a problem, I know my opinions tend towards the more restrictive end of things and I don't think it's a matter of a clear-cut right or wrong, so I'll drop the issue.

You are not alone, Salutor.

I also think that this kind of exercise should always follow the most restrictive path to suit the most people, but shrugs not my character!

I thought I'd respond to this here rather than in the central thread, to avoid cluttering that one.

Apologies for the delay - I'm starting to think about Eleutherius' 15 - 30 period now. My current plan is for him to go after Solomonic Travel.

What Eleutherius has produced for Aeric by the end of the 0 - 15 period is a couple of Magic Theory tractatus on manipulating Sihr and Solomonic Astrology (as well as another tractatus on the Order of Solomon's Organisation Lore). Reading the Magic Theory tractatus should be enough to enable Aeric to develop spells to manipulate Sihr / Solomonic Astrology respectively.

One thing that Eleutherius hasn't done at the moment, but could early in the period if there's interest, is to write up lab texts of his naranj (so that they can be used as sources of Insight - he's deliberately chosen some spells which cover things Hermetic Magic doesn't do / doesn't do well). These will have to be in Arabic (as I assume as with Hermetic magic it would take a minor breakthrough to adapt to a non-standard language). It will be a bit inefficient, as he doesn't know 100 levels of naranj.

The key thing Eleutherius is interested in from Aeric over the 15-30 period is ways to fool Solomonic Astrology - probably via means of spells similar to Shell of False Determinations, although he'd also be interested in other options.

No need for apologies.

Yeah, I figured that out. I am checking the possibilities in that regard.

This is probably a minor breakthrough for each different spell. I am not experienced in this thing but I think that there is no room for more than one major and perhaps two minor breakthroughs in 90 years of development.

I will start studying it, but is there any reason why Shell of False Determinations won't work? I mean, you say that you want something like this but... for Magi or... to mask hermetic magic?

I think it's easier to produce a specific spell based on the insight from the naranj - so not trivial, as you have to make a Int + MT roll against an EF of 18 with modifiers, but not inherently impossible, although you may want to wait until you've got a better Magic Theory score.

It's a full breakthrough to be able to make that knowledge generally extrapolatable.

The rules are in Hedge Magic, from page 14 onwards (and I think they're also repeated in Ancient Magic).

Shell of False Determinations works against Hermetic Intellego effects, not Solomonic Astrology effects (this isn't obvious from the spell description, but the Creo Vim guidelines the spell is based on state "Intellego").

Ups. You are probably right. But if we read it that way, in order to create effects that thwart Astrology, I gather that a minor breakthrough would be necesary.

Seems strange that is not necessary for monster effects but it is necessary for other magic traditions...

My take was that you didn't need a breakthrough, just a good understanding of the relevant magic (similar to how you need knowledge of a specific type of magic to develop efficient Perdo Vim Unravalling spells). Reading the Magic Theory tractatus on Solomonic Astrology Eleutherius produced should be enough to grant the necessary level of knowledge.

Ok. So I am publishing some of the spells following some of the ideas that we have been talking about (spells for protecting from Solomonic Sorcery).

The obvious Astrology counterspell is not particularly attractive because the only real use is to fast cast a counterspell as the astrologer. Quite revealing.

Unravelling the Fabric of Solomonic Astrology

PeVi Gen

R: Voice, D: Mom, T: Ind

This spell will cancel the effects of any naranj of Solomonic Astrology whose level is less than or equal to (spell level + 10 + stress die (no botch)).

(Base effect, +2 Voice)
Guideline: Dispel effects of a specific type with a level less than or equal to the level + 4 magnitudes of the Vim spell + a stress die (no botch).

Another route. One spell to foil Solomonic Astrology directed divinations with the caster as target:

Shell of False Prophecies

CrVi gen

R: Personal, D: Sun, T: Ind

This spell creates a shell of false information to be detected by Solomonic Astrology. The caster decides the false information that will be provided about him or her in the moment of casting. Anything not specified when the spell is cast, it is not covered by the shell and can be detected normally.

This effect only works for Solomonic Astrology Najanj of half the level of this spell minus 5 levels (so a level 35 spell protects against level 15 Solomonic astrology Najanj: “What is the Nature of [Target]'s Loyalties?”).

(Base, +2 Sun)

Guideline: Create a magical shell that gives false information about the target to Intellego spells with level less than half its (level plus one magnitude).

Another more route. You cannot say what you don't know. A temporary Muto spell to remove your true allegiances. You serve a master during the day and plot against him at dawn:

Temporary Suspension of One's Allegiance

MuMe 20

R: Personal, D: Sun, T: Ind

This spell alters memories of long periods of time of the life of the caster. It can be used to construct a past compatible with his actual undercover operation and to erase his true allegiance. Somebody targeted by this spell could work against his own allies by day by supporting an enemy organization, and plot ways to destroy that organization from inside during nights.

Touch versions of this spell exist, but they cannot be used without casting first "Peering into the Mortal Mind" or a similar spell to deeply know the target's mind before the casting.

(Base 10, +2 Sun)

Guideline: Completely rewrite a person’s memories.

Finally, another costly trick in the sleeve could be to cloud Solomonic in the entire building. Cast before entering a building. Feel safe for the stay. The drawback is that high magnitudes are needed to get the desired effect.

Always in Motion the Future is.

PeVi Gen

R: Touch, D: Sun, T: Structure.

This spell reduces the casting total of any Solomonic Astrology naranj casted in the targeted structure by the level of this spell minus 20. This spell must penetrate magic resistance to have any effect.

(Base, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +3 Structure)

Guideline: Reduce the Casting Total for a specific type of magic (such as Infernal Powers or Solomonic Astrology) cast by the target by the (level + 2 magnitudes) of the spell.

For the +30 period, I also hope to give Aeric a familiar. His highest combination TeFo is Perdo Vim.

I have had this crazy idea of a Jinn whose genus locus is the laboratory of a mage, where all sort of magic occurs. This jinn would be obsessed with magic cleanliness, meaning that all remaining magical residues from cast spells must be cleaned.

It would have lived hidden near the magical aura selected to construct the lab before Aeric reached Caepernum. At night, it would have breached the initial settlement and clean the residues left by spells.

Of course, this story has the problem of the Aegis. Perhaps the Aegis forced it out from the boundary of the alliance and he wanted for years to go back until finally established trust with Aeric.

I don't really know if I used properly the creation rules in RoP:M:

Qareen

Magic Might: 10 (Vim)
Season: Spring
Characteristics: Int +1, Per +2, Pre 0, Com 0, Str -4, Sta +1, Dex +2, Qik +4. (10)
Size: -2
Confidence Score: 1 (3 points)
Virtues and Flaws: Magic Spirit (free); Jinn (free); Second Sight (1), Essential Virtue: Stealthy +6 (3), Covenfolk (free);
Greater Malediction (honor bargains made) (3), Magical Air (free with magic spirit), Compulsion: magical cleansing (1)
Qualities and Inferiorities: Greater Power: Donning the Corporeal Veil (3), Greater Power: Break the Arcane Chain (3), Greater Power: Clean the Arcane Residue (3), Greater Power: Sense of the Lingering Magic (3), Improved Abilities (1), Miniature (-3)
Personality Traits: Stealty +6*, Obsessed: clean magic residues +3, Ordered +2, , Loyal to Aeric +3.
Combat: Knife : Init +4, Attack +7, Defense +8, Damage -2
Soak: +1
Wound Penalties: –1 (1-3), –3 (4–6), –5 (7–9), Incapacitated (10–12), Dead (13+)
Abilities: Arabic 4 (Levantine), Awareness 3 (climbing), Brawl 3 (knife), Second Sight 3 (jinn), Theology: Islam 2 (jinn), Stealth (urbane) 2+6, Finesse (Vim) 1, Concentration (lab work) 1.

Powers:
Incorporeal , 0 points, Init Constant, Mentem: Qareem is naturally both invisible and intangible, and cannot be influenced by the physical world. Magic can only directly target him if the caster can sense his existence. In this form he has no physical statistics or combat scores. Without taking a corporeal form, Qareem’s physical characteristics are only used when dealing with other incorporeal creatures.

Donning the Corporeal Veil , 0 points, Init (-3), Corpus: Qareem can form the physical body described under Appearance to house his spiritual form; when doing so he acquires the physical characteristics, size, combat statistics, and Wound levels listed earlier. His arms and armor are also created with this power. He cannot become fatigued. This body lasts until he decides he no longer needs it. Killing the body does not kill Qareem.
Cr(Re)Co 25 (base 5, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +1 requisite): Greater Power (25 levels, –3 Might cost, 2 free mastery points used in Clean the Arcane Residue below)

Sense of the Lingering Magic , 0 points, Init (-3), Vim: Qareem can detect the presence of many magical residues, even from weak spells, as well as giving the presence and power of active spells. It does not grant any information apart from the power level, however.
InVi 30 (base 10, +3 Hearing, +1 Concentration): Greater Power (30 levels, –3 Might cost, 1 free mastery points converted to 5xp in Finesse)

Break the Arcane Chain , 0 point, Init (-3), Vim: Qareem can reduce the duration of an Arcane Connection by five step on the table on page 84. If this reduces the duration below Hours, the connection expires immediately. Does not work on connections that naturally have Indefinite duration, but can make an Arcane Connection that was fixed in the laboratory expire. Note that the Range is the range to the Arcane Connection, and you must know what you are targeting, just as for any other power. Quareen has no special way to detect an arcane connection or to identify who is a connection to.
PeVi 30 (Base 25+ 1 Touch): Greater Power (30 levels, -3 Might cost, 1 free mastery point converted into 5xp in Concentration)

Clean the Arcane Residue , 0 point, Init (-4), Vim: Qareem ages a spell trace to a -7 negative magnitude, a trace of magic so faint that normally ritual magic is required to detect. Note that to target a spell residue, that residue has to be identified first (usually via Sense of the Lingering Magic power above).
PeVi 40 (Base 35 +1 Touch): Greater Power (40 levels, -2 Might cost, +2 mastery points from Donning the Corporeal Veil into reduced cost)

Vis: If slain in physical form, his body yields 2 pawns of Vim vis.

Appearance: Qareen is a sort of domestic magic jinni obsessed with tidiness and cleanliness. It is just that his obsession has nothing to do with mundane objects. Qareem is obsessed with cleaning magic residues, like the ones that hermetic spells leave at the end of its durations. He also dislikes forgotten arcane connections. Quareen is barely a 3 feet tall mini-man of oriental origin dressed in turban and plain clothes. He has a green eye and a blue one. He carries a small knife is comfortably tucked in his belt.

These look various flavours of interesting (although as you say, the Unravelling spell isn't very useful in practice). What's Aeric's lab total like for the different Art combinations? I'm also going to have to think about what Eleutherius' Vim lab total is like (or will be, by the end of the second period).

I feel that the most cautious route, in this case, is to use the Shell of False Prophecies at level 35 to ward against low-level Solomonic Astrology naranj (15 or less). Usually, these are the ones that have the highest penetration and casting totals.

Combine that with a let's say al level 30 "Always in Motion the Future is" for the high-level ones, those that can really fail because of a low casting total. You would need to master this one with a minimum of "Unravelling" and "Penetration" mastery abilities (probably silentx2 and still), and, perhaps, you would need also to have arcane connections to the targets inside to boost penetration.

With Unravelling mastery ability you will increase the penalty by 3 for each level that you get in mastery.

I could have spells of those levels by the end of +30 year period.

I think if you can get Shell of False Prophecies by the end of +30 years, Eleutherius can learn it in the third period. I had hoped to be able to fit it into the second period, but I'd have to sacrifice too much else to get to a CrVi 35 lab total by then.

Fortunately he has Silent x2 and Subtle Casting by default, but that does make me realise that the spell would need to be Sight rather than Voice range if it's to be cast silently. What's the penetration mastery for? I would assume the spell is being cast on the sahir rather than the jinn?

I will post +30 years Aeric next to this.

Shell of False Prophecies does not need penetration. It is the one that creates false results for Astrology.

"Always in Motion the Future Is" is the one that has to penetrate (although I don't think that Solomonic Magic gives resistance). Anyway, the interesting thing is that with "Unravelling mastery", the spell gains 3 levels for each point of mastery and those additional 3 levels increase the penalty to Solomonic Astrology.

I don't know which one do you want to be Sight instead of Voice (one is personal and the other is touch because it is designed to be cast in buildings), but take into account that you can cast a voice range spell silently. You just need to voice something at some point to set the range. You don't pronounce the text of the spell itself, but you can yell, talk or whisper a word of something to set the range.

Numbers for Aeric's +30 years

Aging:
Roll: stress die + 5/6 age -1 spring covenant living conditions +1 lab health - 6 longevity ritual -2 familiar = stress die -3 (-2 from 51 years on).

41: 5-3= 2 No apparent age increase
42: 20-3= 17 One aging point in presence
43: 0-3= -3 No apparent age increase
44: 3-3= 0 No apparent age increase
45: 4-3= 1 No apparent age increase
46: 9-3 = 6
47: 4-3 = 1 No apparent age increase
48: 9-3 = 6
49: 4-3 = 1 No apparent age increase
50: 6-3 = 3
51: 0-2= -2 No apparent age increase
52: 5-2 = 3
53: 2 -2 = 0 No apparent age increase
54: 5 -2 = 3
55: 0 - 2 = -2 No apparent age increase

A first year of lab work
Season 1: Bond Qareen in the Lab: Pe15+Vi20+Int3+MT6+Aura3+LabBonus4=51 Bond Values +3/+2/+1
Season 2: Learn from Texts: “Trust of Childlike Faith PeMe10” + Loss but a moment’s memory PeMe15”. Lab Total: Pe15+Me0+Int3+MT5+Aura3+LabBonus1=27
Season 3: Learn from Texts:“Mantaining the demanding spell ReVi20” and “Opening the intangible tunnel ReVi20” - Lab Total: Re5+Vi20+Int3+MT6+aura3+lab4=41
Season 4: Learn “Endurance of the Bersekers ReCo15” and “Rise of the Feathery Body ReCo10”. Lab Total Re5+Co8+Int3+MT5+Aura3+LabBonus1= 25.

Abilities 128px
Order of Solomon Lore 0>2 15px
Magic Theory 5>6 30px
Finesse 2>3 15px
Penetration 2>3 15px
Concentration 2>3 15 px
Comprehend Magic 2>3(3) 18px
Teology: Muslim 1 > 2 10px
Magic Lore 1>2 10px

Masteries 57px

Pit of the Gapping Earth 1>2 5px(+5). Multicast
Demon’s Eternal Oblivion 2>3(1). 8px(+8) Obscured Casting
Dreadful Bane of the Fae 2>3(1). 8px(+8) Obscured Casting
Sapping the Griffin’s Might 2>3(1) 8px(+8) Obscured Casting
Command the Spirits of Magic 1>2 5px (+5) Imperturbable Casting
Command the Spirits of Fae 1>2 5px(+5) Imperturbable casting
Flash of Mundane Silence 2>4(1) 18px(+18) Multicasting, Obscured Casting

Arts 175px
Muto 4(4) > 9 31px
Mentem 0>5 15px
Intellego 0>6 21px
Vim 20>23 44px(+22)
Perdo 15>18 34px(+17)
Creo 8>11 30px

2 last years of lab work

Season 1: Invent “Shell of False Prophecies CrV35” Cr11(x2)+Vi23+Int3+MT7+Aura3+LabBonus4+FamiliarAssistance8=70

Season 2: Invent “Unravelling the Fabric of Solomonic Astrology PeVi15”, “Unravelling The Fabric of Solomonic Astrology PeVi25”, “Unravelling the Fabric of Solomonic Astrology PeVi2”.
Lab Total Pe18(x2)+Vi23+Int3+MT7+Aura3+LabBonus4+FamiliarAssitance8=84

Season 3: Invent “Always In Motion The Future Is” PeVi40.
Lab Total Pe18(x2)+Vi23+Int3+MT7+Aura3+LabBonus4+FamiliarAssitance8=84

Season 4: Invent “Temporary Supresion of One’s Allegiance MuMe20” Seasson 1/2
Lab Total Mu9+Me5+Int3+MT6+Aura3+LabBonus1+Familiar Assistance8=35

Season 5: Invent “Temporary Supresion of One’s Allegiance MuMe20” Seasson 2/2
Lab Total Mu9+Me5+Int3+MT6+Aura3+LabBonus1+Familiar Assistance8=35

Season 6: Enchant into the Bond: Mental Communication CrMe15 one way.
Lab Total Cr11+Me5+Int3+MT6+Aura3+LabBonus1+FamiliarAssistance8=37

Season 7: Enchant into the Bond: Mental Communication CrMe15 one way.
Lab Total Cr11+Me5+Int3+MT6+Aura3+LabBonus1+FamiliarAssistance8=37

Season 8: Write Lab texts for “Shell of False Prophecies CrV35”, “Temporary Supresion of One’s Allegiance MuMe20”, “Always In Motion The Future Is” PeVi40 and “Unravelling the Fabric of Solomonic Astrology PeVi2”.

Qareem advancement:

15px x 15 years = 225:
Magic Theory 0>6 105
Second Sight 3>4 20
Stealth 2>4 35
Order of Solomon Lore 0>2 15px
Finesse. 1>3 25px
Concentration 1>3 25px

Twilights: Gaunlet +30 years
Aeric’s tendency to eliminate obstacles by using Perdo magic continued in this period by several years, until an experience in a Regio proved that even a mastered spell can botch in a sufficiently high powered foreign aura. This experience tainted Aeric’s magic forever. Now, for Aeric’s magic to work, something has to break or degrade around him (almost like if his magic was syphoning others object’s integrity to work). This does not affect period spells that, by their nature, already break or destroy things. Since this twilight experience, Aeric has turned to mundane means to remove objects whenever possible.
Twilight scar: Clothes worn slowly disintegrate over the course of a moon cycle, eventually becoming dusty tattered rags.
Gained Flaw: Warped Magic

In a disproportionate reaction on a quite emotional evening, Aeric tried to spontaneously cast a defense against nearby arachnids, which resulted in a stupid botch and in an even more stupid twighlight.
Twilight scar: Insects and arachnids always bite him if given the opportunity.

Aeric exMiscellanea (gaunlet +30 years)
Characteristics: Int +3, Per +2, Pre -1(1), Com +1, Str -3, Sta +1, Dex 0, Qik +2
Size: 0, Height: 167 cm, Weight: 58 kg, Gender: Male .
Decrepitude: 0 (1)
Warping Score: 4 (10). (Total warping points: 60)
Confidence Score: 1 (3)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift (0); Hermetic Magus: House Miscellanea (0); Comprehend Magic (Major, free), Minor Magical Focus: Exotic Magic (Minor, free), Affinity with Vim (1), Affinity with Perdo (1), Death Prophecy: he will be killed by arachnids (3), Flawless Magic (3), Good Teacher (1), Puissant Finesse (1), Spirit Familiar (gained in twilight).

Weak Magic Resistance (Major, free), Driven: Make a name for himself (1), Infamous Master: Ineffective (1), Fear: Arachnids (1), Plagued by Supernatural Entity: Damhan-Allaidh (3), Twilight Prone (3), Unimaginative learner (1), Warped Magic (gained in twilight).

Personality Traits: Keen to Impress +2, Confident -1, Quiet +2, Fearful of Arachnids +3, Driven to prove himself +3.
Reputations: Ineffective Magus (hermetic) 3
Combat: Soak: +1; Fatigue Levels: OK, 0, –1, –3, –5, Unconscious; Wound Penalties: –1 (1–5), –3 (6–10), –5 (11– 15), Incapacitated (16–20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Artes Liberales 2 (Ritual Magic), Awareness 2 (spotting arachnids), Comprehend Magic 3(3) (hermetic magic), Concentration 3 (spells), Dead Language: Latin 4 (hermetic use), Folk Ken 2 (warriors), Hunt (tracking) 2, Living Language: West Norse 5 (Danish), Living Language: Low German 3 (Saxon), Living Language: Arabic 3 (Levantine), Parma Magica 2 (Mentem), Finesse 3+2 (speed), Penetration 3 (Vim), Magic Lore 2 (magical traditions), Magic Theory 6 (Vim), Order of Hermes Lore 1(history), Survival 2 (snowy areas), Teaching 2 (Magi), Theology: Muslim 2 (the Qur’am), Order of Solomon Lore 2 (magical practices).
Arts: Cr 11, In 6, Mu 9, Pe 18, Re 5; An 0, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 8, He 0, Ig0, Im2, Me 5, Te 5, Vi 23
Twilight Scars: All of Aeric’s hair became chalk white. Spirits are attracted to Aeric, tend to follow him and try to contact him (but this does not make hostile spirits friendly, the “contact” does not need to be pleasant). Clothes worn slowly disintegrate over the course of a moon cycle, eventually becoming dusty tattered rags. Insects and arachnids always bite him if given the opportunity.
Equipment: - Encumbrance: 0
Spells Known:
Aegis of the Hearth ReVi20/+33 - Mastery 1 (penetration)
Always In Motion The Future Is PeVi40/+61 - Mastery 1 (unravelling)
Brief Cover of Protecting Stone CrTe10/+17 Mastery 1 (fast casting) Demon’s Eternal Oblivion PeVi10/+45 - Mastery 3(1) (multicasting, penetration, obfuscated casting)
Dreadful Bane of the Fae PeVi10/+45 - Mastery 3(1) (multicasting, penetration, obfuscated casting)
Circle of Beast Warding ReAn 5/+7 - Mastery 1 (penetration)
Command the Spirits of Magic ReVi20/+31 - Mastery 2 (penetration, imperturbable casting)
Command the Spirits of Fae ReVi20/+31 - Mastery 2 (penetration, imperturbable casting)
Endurance of the Bersekers ReCo15/+15 - Mastery 1 (imperturbable casting) Flash of Mundane Silence PeVi30/+46 - Mastery 4(1) (fast casting, unravelling, multicasting, obscured casting)
Loss but a moment’s memory PeMe15/+25 - Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Mantaining the demanding spell ReVi20/+30 - Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Opening the intangible tunnel ReVi20/+30 - Mastery 1 (penetration)
Pierce the Faerie Veil InVi 20/+31 - Mastery 1 (still casting)
Pierce the Infernal Veil InVi 20/+31 - Mastery 1 (still casting)
Pierce the Magical Veil InVi 20/+31 - Mastery 1 (still casting)
Pit of the Gaping Earth PeTe15/+26 Mastery 2 (fast casting, multicast)
Retribution over the Menacing Weapon (like Stone to Dust but Voice Range) PeTe15/+25 - Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Rise of the Feathery Body ReCo10/+15 - Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Sapping the Griffin’s Might PeVi10/+45 - Mastery 3(1) (multicasting, penetration, ofuscated casting)
Scales of the Magical Weight InVi5/+31 - Mastery 1 (quiet casting) Sense Magical Power InVi2/31 - Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Sense the Nature of Vis InVi5/+31 - Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Shell of False Prophecies CrV35/+57 - Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Temporary Suppression of One’s Allegiance MuMe20/+16 - Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
The Lesser Enigma’s Gift CrVi 20 (it gives 2 points of warping instead of 4) CrVi20/+37 - Mastery 2 (multicasting, penetration)
Trust of Childlike Faith PeMe10/+25 Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Unravelling the Fabric of Solomonic Astrology PeVi2/+61 (fast casting)
Unravelling the Fabric of Solomonic Astrology PeVi15/+61 (fast casting)
Unravelling The Fabric of Solomonic Astrology PeVi25/+61 (fast casting)
Veil of Invisibility PeIm20/+22 Mastery 1 (quiet casting)

Appearance: a bearded white-haired middle-aged man dressed with humble robes. His skin has been darkened by the levantine sun and his face covered by freckles. His complexion is extremely thin and his presence unimposing.
Casting Sigil: Whiteness, that normally manifest as white light but that can manifest as the colour of object or as a brief perception of light.

Familiar (end of +30 period)
Qareen

Magic Might: 10 (Vim)
Familiar Bond: Gold +3, Silver +1, Bronce +2.
Season: Spring
Characteristics: Int +1, Per +2, Pre 0, Com 0, Str -4, Sta +1, Dex +2, Qik +4. (10)
Size: -2
Confidence Score: 1 (3 points)
Virtues and Flaws: Magic Spirit (free); Jinn (free); Second Sight (1), Essential Virtue: Stealthy +6 (3), Covenfolk (free);
Greater Malediction (honor bargains made) (3), Magical Air (free with magic spirit), Compulsion: magical cleansing (1)
Qualities and Inferiorities: Greater Power: Donning the Corporeal Veil (3), Greater Power: Break the Arcane Chain (3), Greater Power: Clean the Arcane Residue (3), Greater Power: Sense of the Lingering Magic (3), Improved Abilities (1), Miniature (-3)
Personality Traits: Stealty +6*, Obsessed: clean magic residues +3, Ordered +2, , Loyal to Aeric +3.
Combat: Knife : Init +4, Attack +7, Defense +8, Damage -2
Soak: +1
Wound Penalties: –1 (1-3), –3 (4–6), –5 (7–9), Incapacitated (10–12), Dead (13+)
Abilities: Arabic 4 (Levantine), Awareness 3 (climbing), Brawl 3 (knife), Second Sight 4 (jinn), Theology: Islam 2 (jinn), Stealth (urbane) 4+6, Finesse (Vim) 3, Concentration (lab work) 3, Magic Theory 6 (lab assistant), Order of Solomon Lore 2 (magical practices).

Powers:
Bond Powers: Mental communication (as in the Core) both ways (CrMe15)

Incorporeal , 0 points, Init Constant, Mentem: Qareem is naturally both invisible and intangible, and cannot be influenced by the physical world. Magic can only directly target him if the caster can sense his existence. In this form he has no physical statistics or combat scores. Without taking a corporeal form, Qareem’s physical characteristics are only used when dealing with other incorporeal creatures.

Donning the Corporeal Veil , 0 points, Init (-3), Corpus: Qareem can form the physical body described under Appearance to house his spiritual form; when doing so he acquires the physical characteristics, size, combat statistics, and Wound levels listed earlier. His arms and armor are also created with this power. He cannot become fatigued. This body lasts until he decides he no longer needs it. Killing the body does not kill Qareem.
Cr(Re)Co 25 (base 5, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +1 requisite): Greater Power (25 levels, –3 Might cost, 2 free mastery points used in Clean the Arcane Residue below)

Sense of the Lingering Magic , 0 points, Init (-3), Vim: Qareem can detect the presence of many magical residues, even from weak spells, as well as giving the presence and power of active spells. It does not grant any information apart from the power level, however.
InVi 30 (base 10, +3 Hearing, +1 Concentration): Greater Power (30 levels, –3 Might cost, 1 free mastery points converted to 5xp in Finesse)

Break the Arcane Chain , 0 point, Init (-3), Vim: Qareem can reduce the duration of an Arcane Connection by five step on the table on page 84. If this reduces the duration below Hours, the connection expires immediately. Does not work on connections that naturally have Indefinite duration, but can make an Arcane Connection that was fixed in the laboratory expire. Note that the Range is the range to the Arcane Connection, and you must know what you are targeting, just as for any other power. Quareen has no special way to detect an arcane connection or to identify who is a connection to.
PeVi 30 (Base 25+ 1 Touch): Greater Power (30 levels, -3 Might cost, 1 free mastery point converted into 5xp in Concentration)

Clean the Arcane Residue , 0 point, Init (-4), Vim: Qareem ages a spell trace to a -7 negative magnitude, a trace of magic so faint that normally ritual magic is required to detect. Note that to target a spell residue, that residue has to be identified first (usually via Sense of the Lingering Magic power above).
PeVi 40 (Base 35 +1 Touch): Greater Power (40 levels, -2 Might cost, +2 mastery points from Donning the Corporeal Veil into reduced cost)

Vis: If slain in physical form, his body yields 2 pawns of Vim vis.

Appearance: Qareen is a sort of domestic magic jinni obsessed with tidiness and cleanliness. It is just that his obsession has nothing to do with mundane objects. Qareem is obsessed with cleaning magic residues, like the ones that hermetic spells leave at the end of its durations. He also dislikes forgotten arcane connections. Quareen is barely a 3 feet tall mini-man of oriental origin dressed in turban and plain clothes. He has a green eye and a blue one. He carries a small knife is comfortably tucked in his belt.