creating a talisman

Since you need magic theory * 2 to open something, that's going to disappoint a lot of flambeau who now need MT 10 (and twenty pawns of vis) to get the benefit of having an ruby (+6 fire) in their talisman.

I think either you have misunderstood something, or I have. I thought it was that you are able to use your magic theory score * 2 pawns of vis in a season at maximum, not that you need to use MT*2 to open an item for enchantment. Also, for talismans you can open them using as much vis as you want at a time.

(I'm so totally not sure about any of this so don't quote me)

Okay so once the item has been attuned as your talisman, you can further open it slowly. So to begin the process, I would need a magic theory of 8 so that I could pour all 15 pawns of vis into it to begin enchanting it. After that though, I could put vis into it as slowly as I wanted (I think)?

Yes, you could. Iris a bit inefficient, but might be necessary to gain an attunement,and/or not enough Vim Vis is available.

Long ago I bookmarked this thread

https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/of-talismans-and-mt-limits/3028/20

to help me navigate through talismans.

It's very useful.

Bob

Useful and accurate - who'd have thought it of the internet!
Yeah, I'd support the suggest in the post just following that one, to include it in a FAQ.
And/or possibly copy it into a page on project Redcap?

Ah yes, that's quite concise and informative- that's how I thought it worked. Thanks for the clarification.

Hey sorry to reopen this thread, but I was just wondering: how would one go about incorporating mercury into one's talisman (mine is a staff)? I know that cinnabar is the ore from which mercury is mined, but it has different material bonuses.. or is mercury not meant to be incorporated into such constructs, rather to be enchanted whilst in a container? The only reason I ask is because I could attune such a talisman for aquam, terram and muto bonuses which would come in suuuuuuper handy down the road.

Something that holds mercury...

I'd use spontaneous muto terram to cast rock of viscid clay on a large quartz crystal and then create a hollow in the crystal, fill it 1/2 way with mercury and then close it up encapsulating the mercury completely. I'd then put the crystal in the staff somehow.

Haha yeah I know, "duh". I guess my concern was that any container I could think of might break, but then I suppose a wooden staff isn't super durable either. Thanks for the input, I'll mull it over.

Muto is really easy for hermetic magic. You can basically "rock of viscid clay" anything So puting mercury somewhere is rather easy. One of our mages used mercury in his wand as well. )In this case he drilled a hole along the wand and put the mercury inside, like what you see in a thermometer. he had a piece of crystal in one extreme so that the mercury could be seen.

Xavi

No, but your wooden staff is at least covered by your Form scores, so it is hard to set on fire... And you can put enchantments that make your staff as tough as iron.

Well a talisman counts as a part of you, as long as you're holding it, right? I've got greater immunity to fire, so as long as I'm holding it, it should be fine. I also just read about the plants-to-iron herbam spell last night, so I'll probably have that cast on it. Herbam is pretty much the OPPOSITE of what I'm good at, but luckily I just made friends with an herbam mage (Rachenda?) at the Flambeau tournament, perhaps she'd be willing to help me out.

It should be noted that a lot of the information in this document seems to refer to 4th Edition. Some alterations may be needed to use it for 5th.