Custom spells

Hmm, there's something weird going on, I appear to have double posted, but I only posted once. leo as well.

silveroak, if I wrote "hard", then I have misstated the intent. It just needs to be impenetrable, untearable, and impervious to being torn apart, as strong as Andros can manage.
However, I will posit that adding qualities from other elements, is part and parcel of Muto. MuAn can only get so far in strength, but MuAn(Te) can incorporate qualities from other materials beyond what An can manage.

In any case it looks like you are saying (Base MuAn 4 + 1 Extra magnitude + 2 Sun + 0 Personal) + 3 Environmental Trigger + 2 3 Uses/day = Final level 20 is sufficient for what Andros is looking for? Looking to at least be able to resist a giant trying to munch it or tear it apart!
Would knowing Doublet of Impenetrable Silk count as a similar effect?
It just feels too low (I know, I should just take the lower level and move on).
But I'll see if I can come up with another MuAn 20 he can ensorcel the cloak with in the same season.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, knowing doublet of impenetrable silk would count as a similar effect.

A couple of items from Arduino for review.

THE FLYING SHIELD
ReTe 42
R: Per, D: Sun, T: Ind
This lesser enchanted device is a large round shield of bronze wonderfully decorated with images of pegasi and griffons. It is used by Arduino as means of transport and occasionally to lift heavy items. When Arduino, and only him, touches it while concentrating the shield moves according to his wishes. The disk is highly manoeuvrable (-3 to finesse ease factors) and can reach considerable speed, even with Arduino upon it. The shield remains immobile in the position in which it was left after the last use, even in midair, resisting any physical attempt to move it (but not instant transport effects).
(Base 3, +2 Sun, +2 Metal, +2 Speed, +1 Exceptional strength, +1 Reduced finesse ease factor; constant +4, Effect used only by Arduino +3)

NECKLACE OF INSTANT TRANSPORTATION
This gold necklace has a small amulet that incorporate the opening and closing mechanism. The amulet is inlaid with silver and bronze, with an opal set at the centre. Typically, various tokens are hung from the chain, each an arcane connection to a different object and/or place.
The necklace is an invested device opened as a compound item with 5 pawns of vim vis (12 for the opal - 7 craft goldsmith (jewels)) and one effect.

RAPACIOUS HAND OF THE MERCHANT
ReTe 65
Transports an item up to the size of a wagon (and its eventual contents) to/from a place, the user must have an arcane connection both for the item and the place. Only non-living objects are transported and substantial amounts of liquid or animals are also left behind.
(Base 4, +4 Arcane, +2 Size, +5 transport to an Arcane Connection; +10 unlimited uses)

I'm not sure where the guideline is for reducing finesse targets...
otherwise these look fine.

Hi leo!

Don't quite understand what this does, or the guidelines, is it two effects in one? Is it teleporting stuff, or is the hypothetical wagon simply rolling in the direction of the arcane connection. What is the Base 4 Guideline, if you could explain? I could not find it in the main book.
The Leap of Homecoming is Base 35 to transport someone to an arcane connection, so that Base serves as a guideline to similar effects. That's the lowest to transport a body without minding distance. Lowest Base for Instantaneous travel is 10, for a measly 5 paces total distance. Is this following the guidelines of the Ambulatory Laboratory (Base 5)? Which seem problematic.
Anyway, this seems like a Ritual spell crammed into an item, by my count: Base 4 + 4 Range Arcane is 20, + 2 Size is 30, +5 transport to an Arcane Connection is +55 (also, not familiar with this guideline, where is it from?), at which point it's a Ritual spell, +10 item = 65 total, which is what you listed above. Sorry, perhaps this item's workings may seem obvious, but I am not understanding them at all.
By this logic, a ReTe Base 4 + 4 Arcane + 2 size + 2 Stone can transport a very large boulder to which you have an Arcane connection from anywhere in Europe to your vicinity? And back, with only one effect, if you have an arcane connection to the place you are sending it to?

I'm assuming the base effect here is instantly transporting a target up to 5 paces (ReTe:4), though it really should be the level 25 guideline of instantly transport to a place to which you have an arcane connection. He seems to have used a +5 transport to an arcane connection to make up the difference. It should also list target as individual and the duration as momentary.

Hi Ignes.Festivus!

I apologize for the lack of references and explanations.

For the necklace's effect I used the "new guidelines for instant transportation" in Transforming Mythic Europe p. 107 and the spell "Rapacious Hand of the Highwayman" in p. 109 as model.

As stated by silveroak the complete stats are:

RAPACIOUS HAND OF THE MERCHANT
ReTe 65
Pen +0, Unlimited uses
R: Arc, D: Mom, T: Ind
Transports an item up to the size of a wagon (and its eventual contents) to/from a place, the user must have an arcane connection both for the item and the place. Only non-living objects are transported and substantial amounts of liquid or animals are also left behind.
(Base 4, +4 Arc, +2 Size, +5 transport to an Arcane Connection; +10 unlimited uses)

Following those guideline:
Base 4 : ReTe guideline, transport a non-living object instantly up to 5 paces.
+5M : increase the distance to a place for which you have an Arcane connection
+2M : increased size, affects a large object up to a wagon (from the spell mentioned above)
At this point with a touch range you can send a non-living object to any place which you have an arcane connection.
By adding 4M and giving the Arcane connection range you should be able to instantly "recall" the same object from afar (you need an arcane connection to the object too).

Are you referring to the high level of the effect? If that is the case enchanted items don't have the 50th level limit of formulaic spells, according to the core book page 98: "In general, enchanted devices may not mimic the effects of ritual spells. There is, however, a single exception. Enchanted device effects may have a level over 50, as long as there is no other reason for the spell to be a ritual, such as long duration, large target, or major effect."

Nope, in that case I think you only have one "direction of transport" (in the new guidelines ReTe effects affect any non-living object that "primarily is under the form of Terram" so +2 for stone is not required).

You need a Base 25 (or Base 4 + 5M) + 4 Arcane + 2 Size to accomplish that. Base 25 to send the object, Arcane range to transport back.

I already used something of similar for Oliverius' Talisman:

MERCURY’S WINGED SANDALS FOR THE CAUTIOUS MAGUS
ReCo40
R: Pers, D: Conc, T: Ind
Pen +0, unlimited uses
As Mercury’s Winged Sandals TME p.111 but with an added magnitudo for improved control, the finesse easy factors are reduced by 3.
(Base 15, +1 Conc, +1 Reduced finesse ease factor; +10 unlimited uses, +5 item maintain concentration)

So I thought you agreed with that.

Hi leo, thanks for the explanation, will try to read up on those guidelines.
However, on the high level: a level 55 spell is a Ritual in Hermetic Magic. Items tend to have higher levels because they can have other modifiers (# of uses, Penetration bonuses, triggered effects, etc), but the underlying effect cannot go higher than 50. At least until there's some Breakthrough! "Enchanted device effects may have a level over 50, as long as there is no other reason for the spell to be a ritual, such as long duration, large target, or major effect." There is a reason for this effect to be a Ritual: it adds up to over 50 (without counting item specific modifications), and it has an unusually long Range, which one might think is included in "such as".
Anyway, will try to read up on this to see if I can understand better.

I either missed or overlooked this- I know that there is no enchantment guideline to lower finesse rolls or add finesse ability, and it seems this could be an issue with craft magic if magnitudes can substitute for actual ability to use magic subtly. While it isn't a huge issue when you are talking about making something easier to fly, it becomes a major issue if used with craft magic...

I don't see an inherent problem for greater control and maneuverability with transportation magic. I think this magnitude does not imply the ability to do the same for craft magic, as maneuvering something with greater control is inherently different than waving a wand and having a pile of rocks turn into a statue. I agree it shouldn't apply to craft magic.

Hi leo!

Read up on the section of TME you referenced, and your build seems on point from those guidelines. However, it would still be a Ritual spell because of level (55) (Base 4 + 4 Range Arcane is 20, + 2 Size is 30, +5 transport to an Arcane Connection is = 55), so something would have to be reduced (the +2 size? to +1, a transporting Throne? A transporting chest, maybe?) to be a legal item.

I really don't think the level threshold matters for items. I think Leo is right on this. Silveroak?

Specifically,

As long as ritual isn't required by the effect (permanent Creo), duration (Year), target (Boundary), the level-over-50 is I believe the primary part which CAN be ignored by enchanted items.

Well, it looks like I was wrong, then! But that does open some interesting possibilities I had not considered.

I look forwards to seeing what you come up with next, then!

It seems that the necklace's effect is legal afterall.

Given it cannot applied to craft magic, how about the reduced easy factor for moving objects silveroak?

what would be the effect going backwards if we make the -3 to finesse thresholds an effect of an aurum prerequisite that only applies to flying objects? Would everything that has been done still work?

Oliverius would need 2 sesons to enchant the effect instead of 1.

INT 5 + MT 11 + AURA 3 + REGO 24 + AU 5 + LAB 0 + S&M 6 + CRAFT 5 + PHIL. 5 + TALISMAN 5 = 69 VS ReCo(Au) 45 (+5 for Re Elder Rune) > 2 seasons

Same for Arduino, he couldn't enchant the flying shield as a lesser item.

INT 5 + MT 13 + AURA 7 + REGO 14 + AU 0 + LAB 8 + I.G. 3 + S&M 3 + CRAFT 6 + FORGE COMPANION 1 = 64 VS ReTe(Au) 42 > 2 seasons

Okay, lets retcon it as follows: the additional levels allow for improved maneuverability at high speed, which would by its nature not apply to craft magic or other situations where a finesse drop would be problematic (remote fighting with a finessed flying sword, for example)