De Moribus (OOC)

No, it is not. That is what libraries, contacts, and the stress die roll might be for.

Thus implying that we may not be the local magi upon whom the king's attentions will fall. Good.

Liliana' Bjornaer's pre Gauntlet posted is final (bar mistakes or things disallowed)

I have her up to 28 years but will post the 23 year advancement version for Ghost to examine, as choosing the spells she can research has been slow going. Sorry all for the tardiness.

The description of the Mappa Mundi follows a common misconception that you cannot see a maga with forceless scrying that does not target her. You can totally see all of those unprotected species while peering in on your grogs.

No, Ash is not going to point out every little detail for you. I asked for an OoH roll, and you have a library.

Well, yes, but it would be something Adeline would ask in-character.

That was to Sir_Swindle's last post; Ash has already given where the Covenant may be located.

We have a giant map litterally on the table in front of us, her not just pointing was sort of silly in the first place. I would fail an OoH roll and I would fail a French Geography roll, so I ask rather than trying to muddle through it (aka an untrained int roll).

Asking my contacts, would be me going to the closest Mercer House and asking them so I don't see why Ash is much different. I can do that I suppose...

You don't know what the Ease Factor is, so you have no clue what you would fail, or how badly, or if you'd get any information at all from either. I also take the lack of effort from you to provide either of those rolls or use the library as an attempt to be spoon-fed where to go and what to do. Can Ash point to the map? Yep. She can point to a general location and say something like "Well, it's in this area". But the mappa mundi does not show locations; it shows the general location of whomever is wearing the ring, but not that person's surroundings. So you'd end up going to the library and looking at whatever atlas or series of maps you have.

Besides - your a magus. Shouldn't you be all thrilled to get to pore through books?

I was picturing a large map of Europe with a hologram of the rings location hovering over it. The fist line calls it a large map of the world that we keep updating.

Looks like I can make an OoH Lore roll untrained but not a French Area Lore roll. Or a Code of Hermes roll, I should work on that.

Whoops. No problem.

Other stuff:

• Can I just use averages for apparent age? I can go and roll it, but I can do it so much faster with averages.
  • I had had Adeline wait a while before her Longevity Ritual to have a child, along with planning studying early on. That would make her child a young adult now, so someone who could potentially be a grog at the covenant. Adeline already has a Story Flaw, and I wasn't trying to add to that. Just something she specifically wanted to do before the Longevity Ritual.
  • I still need to write a list of active spells Adeline has running. I'll get on that shortly.

So I don't have ponts in Code of Hermes (an oversight on my part) but someone at some point should probably argue over that fairly conservative interpretation of the Code.

I can't do it I have to take whatever you guys say about it on faith I guess.

EDIT: just read up in L&L. It makes no mention of tribunal rulings about the infernal clause. But the Tytalus Dormus Magna is here so I expect slaying demons in defense of tribunal resources or to prevent ruin falling on the order by mundanes is probably encouraged.

Also Edit: We are too far to claim vis sources at the other site as ours permanently, but we would likely be awarded them for seven years before they went to the tribunal (assuming we tell people about them, which we have no particular reason to do).

And that's the beauty of this all: you guys get the option to choose what to do. Or not to do. Investigate the faerie slayings and possible demonic influence at the former covenant site? Ignore it wholly? Find cool stuff and tell people about it? The choice is yours.

The Normandy book has rules for how far a man can run in a day to claim Vis sources but they don't take Strength or Stamina into account. It looks like there is no tribunal ruling on weather permanent CrCO enhancements count as magic for the runners can the guy get a bonus for having effectively Great Stamina and Strength x2.

10+5+2*A=62-20
(62-20-10-5-)/2= 13.5

That is actually pretty reasonable with the road bonus, we may need to build a road of course. 100km is the distance from Caen to L'Aigle our covenant is basically in a line between them assuming that is the right place. You guys work on killing the dragon I'm going to start an athletics department in my school so we can claim their vis sources as legally ours. We could also move our council room to a seven-league stride down the road. I feel like having a guy with 14 Athletics would probably cause a Wizard War.

Are we allowed to start building companion characters. My IC post was basically suggesting a Companion adventure.

I think building a Cursor companion would be interesting (the aforementioned 13 athletics guy).
I have been nursing an idea for a Verditus' Venditore with the Persona Virtue if Pralix thinks Calendeau would accept such a person into his service. You are supposed to be a Companion attached to someone else's magus so it would work.

Ya, I noticed that. Strength isn't really helpful. Yes, you want to be really fit, but long-distance running doesn't require the bulk that shows up with significant Strength. Stamina, on the other hand, is quite important. I would have figured the formula would have been based on Stamina, Quickness, and Athletics. Quickness is broader than running speed, but that is part of it.

Running for 12 hours is Stamina and just Stamina. Training for a marathon you typically lose a bit of time on your 5k or 10k races because you are basically reworking how your body handles stress to be able to go that far.

10+5+6*2=27. A six athletics is running a Marathon over a whole day. Not to say I know anyone who is ready to grab a snack and then run another one after they finish a Marathon since that is basically what we are talking about. Looking at it that seems really low. Like 5 is the max you can be at when you are in your twenties without any virtues. A lot of people run Marathons in a lot shorter time than 12 hours (5 or 6 based on some cursory research) I doubt all of those people have Puissant or Affinity.

I like how the game mechanics encourage covenants to have 50 year old men running around the country side due to the age based caps... 50 year old (9) +Affinity +Puissant gets you your 13. Nailed it.

The world record is 2 hours, assuming he could keep up the pace all day (he can't. But I'm doing the math anyway!) that would be 157 miles in 12 hours.... (157-15)/2= 71 Athletics... I'm pretty sure he had to have just have enough Quickness to get his sprint distance really high he was doing 5 minute miles as opposed to the average 10ish minute miles.

Hi,

Amusing, isn't it!

The age based caps should probably be completely removed. They don't support much in the way of realism, existing only as a sop to players and GMs who want some sort of cap on Abilities. But people who don't want to see Ability13 on a starting character are not going to suddenly be fine with it when a character with Strong Faerie Blood+Aff+Pu comes along.

As usual, I'm not one of those people. But if I were, I'd simply set limits on starting Arts and Abilities and acknowledge that it is about gaming aesthetics rather than verisimilitude.

Anyway,

Ken

Hi,

Apologies!!

I forgot that this was a game forum rather than the general forum when I posted.

Please feel free to disregard.

Anyway,

Ken

Yes, but the speed at which you do it matters, too, since we care not just about how much time you can run but how far you travel in that time. If you can't run one 5-minute mile, you don't stand a chance of running lots of them. This is why a lot of our training (d1 x-c skiing, and x-c running to train for it) involved sprint work and the like even though we were never competing in any short distances. If you want to run long distances quickly, you need to build up both your running speed and your endurance. Technique helps, too, even with running.