Donnchadh Dubh - Development

Right now I'm looking at a Merinita mage as the counterpart of Conachar Mor. THis may change as I've never been a big fan of the House. One option I'm looking at someone who has either Touched by the Fay or Farie Blood of the Dark Sidhe. Orphedra of Dankmar would be close to what I'm looking at. Illusions, darkness fear.( without the cruel heartless bitterness. O.K. Maybe a little).

The other option is just as ( or possibly more) annoying is a illusion based trickster. Much like the followers of Pendule ( HoH:MC pg 102) but it does not fit quite with the grim and dour highlands :smiley:

I really dislike the Merinita :angry: Only the HoH:MC stuff :slight_smile: That being said. first draft that needs 2 more virtues. Working on the background at this point. I treated Unsidhe blood like sidhe blood in regards to the +1 presence. Fairy sympathy is from RoP:Fairy.

Donnchadh Dubh
Characteristics: Int +2, Per 0, Pre +1, Com +2, Str 0, Sta +2, Dex 0, Qik +1
Size: ‑1
Age: 25 (25), Height: 4'8', Weight: 100 lbs, Gender: Male
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0/0 (0)
Confidence: 1 (3)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Affinity with Imaginem, Affinity with Perdo, Improved Characteristics, Hermetic Magus, Faerie Magic*, Quiet Magic (×2) (Spellcasting Penalty: None for not speaking), Minor Magical Focus (Darkness), Fairy sympathy(darkness), Unseele Blood, See in Darkness,

Susceptibility to Divine Power, Overconfident(M), Chaotic Magic, Faerie Friend, Compulsion (Practical jokes)
Personality Traits: Respect for Authority ‑2, Overconfident +2, Prankster +1
Combat:
Dodge: Init: +1, Attack ‑‑, Defense +1, Damage ‑‑
Fist: Init: +1, Attack +0, Defense +1, Damage +0
Kick: Init: +0, Attack +0, Defense +0, Damage +3
Soak: +2
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, ‑1, ‑3, ‑5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: ‑1 (1‑5), ‑3 (6‑10), ‑5 (11‑15), Incapacitated (16‑20), Dead (21+)

Abilities: Galic 5, Stealth 1 (sneak), Survival 2 (Highlands), Latin 4, Artes Liberales 2 (logic), Philosophiae 1 (moral philosophy), Code of Hermes 1 (tribunal procedures), Faerie Lore 2 (Faries of Scotland), Faire Magic 3, Finesse 1 (Imaginem), Magic Theory 2 (Perdo), Parma Magica 1 (Ignem), Penetration 1 (Mentem), Area Lore: Highlands 2 (legends), Athletics 1 (grace), Awareness 1 (alertness)

Arts: Cr 4, In 2, Mu 2, Pe 12, Re 3, An 1, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 7, He 0, Ig 6, Im 8, Me 5, Te 1, Vi 1

Equipment:
Encumbrance: 0 (0)
Spells Known:
Curse of the Unruly Tongue (ReCo 5) +12
Lifting the Dangling Puppet (ReCo 15) +12
Wizard's Sidestep (ReIm 10) +13
Veil of Invisibility (PeIm 20) +22
Prying Eyes (InIm 5) +12
Gloom of Evening (PeIg 10) +20
Winter's Icy Touch (PeIg 10) +20
The Blinded Sentry (PeMe 5) +19
Calm the Motion of the Heart (PeMe 15) +19
Panic of the Trembling Heart (CrMe 15) +11
The Call to Slumber (ReMe 10) +10

Silly question, what's an Unsidhe? You mean Unseelie?

I'm sure I do but it is late in the day ( for me). Basically a fairy associated with the unseelie court i.e. darkness, fear ect.

Still working on it but not in love with the character so it is coming slowly. Might make a a major change if I can find a concept and House pair I really like.

Sometimes a gut and redo is a good thing.

Talia was originally similar to Anemone from Legacy of Rome and also a Flambeau, but I didn't like that direction. Anemone was going to be portrayed as flighty or ditzy. So I restarted from scratch... I went with a slutty Tytalus with a heart of gold.

For me it is trying to fit the setting and the mage. I had a decent idea for a Tremere but it did not make sense for him to be there. Same with a Tytalis that I thought of. A Ex Misc or Merinita fit for the House but I really do not enjoy most of the Mystery cults and especially the Merinita.

I may go back to a ex Misc. I have an idea that is percolating.

First pass at an ex Misc Beast master. This is different from the one in HoH:S in that I'm using the Hedge Magic Elemental magic as the controlling power. In some ways it is weaker and in others it is stronger. I cannot summon animals. I can control any animal that has a Choleric temperament. That is any predator and fast land animals like Horses.

I plan on starting him with a pack of dogs.

Donnchadh Dubh ex Misc

Characteristics: Int +2, Per +1, Pre +3, Com 0, Str 0, Sta +2, Dex 0, Qik 0
Size: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Hermetic Magus, Elementalist ‑ Fire (Lab Text Bonus: 0), Control(philosophy), Inoffensive to Animals, Improved Characteristics, Affinity with Animal, Major Magical Focus (Choleric animals), Animal Ken, Sidhe Blood, Voice of the Highlands, Affinity with Muto, Chaotic Magic*, Optimistic, Proud, Animal Companion, Weird Magic (Botches on Stressed Casting: Extra botch die), Hedge Wizard, Twilight Prone

Reputations: Hedge Wizard 3
Personality Traits: Respect for Authority ‑2, Overconfident +2, Prankster +1
Wound Penalties: ‑1 (1‑5), ‑3 (6‑10), ‑5 (11‑15), Incapacitated (16‑20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Gaelic 5, Latin 4, Artes Liberales 1 (astronomy), Philosophiae 1 (natural philosophy), Code of Hermes 1 (tribunal procedures), Magic Theory 3 (Animal), Parma Magica 1 (Corpus), Animal Ken 1 (Choleric), Athletics 2 (running), Brawl 2 (Fist), Swim 2 (long distances), Animal Handling 2 (dogs), Folk Ken 2, Hunt 2 (tracking), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (personalities), Awareness 2 (alertness), Area Lore: Highlands 2 (geography), Elementalist Fire 1, Single Weapon 2 (Spear, Short)

Difficult Arts: Elementalist Fire 1
Arts: Cr 5, In 2, Mu 6, Pe 3, Re 3, An 9, Aq 0, Au 0, Co 5, He 0, Ig 5, Im 0, Me 0, Te 0, Vi 1,
Controlling (Philosophiae ): 5

Spells Known:
Beast of Outlandish Size (MuAn 15) +23
Doublet of Impenetrable Silk (MuAn 15) +17
Soothe the Ferocious Bear (ReAn 10) +17
Soothe Pains of the Beast (CrAn 20) +23
Viper's Gaze (ReAn 15) +17
Circle of Beast Warding (ReAn 5) +17
Growth of the Creeping Things (MuAn 15) +17
Preternatural Growth and Shrinking (MuCo 15) +13
Spasms of the Uncontrolled Hand (ReCo 5) +10
Palm of Flame (CrIg 5) +12

Controlling roll : Elemential fire 1 + Controlling (Philosophiae ) 5 + Pre 2 + aura + stress die

The Cult of the Beast

The Cult of the Beast is a vulgar way the Order groups four smaller practices that share similar roots and traditions into a single name. Each practices ability to control animals that fall within the elemental traits. They all had their origins in the early Goetic Arts but were not stigmatized like the Theurgist who dealt with spirits. All of the practices originated in the Eastern Mediterranean lands.

Those that are in the order focus on a single element for each lineage. The followers of Caeculus focus on fire. The followers of Enki focus on Earth. The Adherents of Ouranos focus on the element of air and the Oceanus cult on the element of water. There are some still outside the order that can do more than one element.

Major Non-Hermitic Virtue: Elemental Control (Philosophiae) - Hedge Magic
Minor Hermetic Virtue: Elementalist - (fire, earth, water, air)[1]

Major Hermetic Flaw: Chaotic Magic

Required Virtue: Inoffensive to animals.

[1] Not really a Hermitic virtue. I could change it to Affinity with elemental art ( Ig, Te, Au, Aq) and require the hedge elementalist along with Inoffensive to animals.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm having a hard time making the connection between a beast master and an elementalist.

Inoffensive to Animals is both a Minor Hermetic Virtue and a Minor General Virtue, so it would fit in the "Minor Hermetic Virtue" slot for the Tradition.

Much more finalized version with 2 years of experience added. working on dog pack now :slight_smile:

Donnchadh Dubh ex Misc

Characteristics: Int +2, Per +1, Pre +3, Com 0, Str 0, Sta +2, Dex 0, Qik 0
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Hermetic Magus, Elementalist ‑ Fire (Lab Text Bonus: 0), Control(Philosophiae), Inoffensive to Animals, Improved Characteristics, Affinity with Animal, Major Magical Focus (Choleric animals), Animal Ken, Sidhe Blood, Puissant Animal Ken, Affinity with Muto, Chaotic Magic*, Optimistic, Proud, Animal Companion, Weird Magic (Botches on Stressed Casting: Extra botch die), Hedge Wizard, Twilight Prone

Reputations: Hedge Wizard 3
Personality Traits: Respect for Authority ‑2, Overconfident +2, Prankster +1 Choleric +1
Abilities: Gaelic 5, Latin 4, Artes Liberales 1 (astronomy), Philosophiae 1 (natural philosophy), Code of Hermes 1 (tribunal procedures), Magic Theory 3 (Animal), Parma Magica 2 (Corpus), Animal Ken 2+2 (Choleric), Athletics 2 (running), Brawl 2 (Fist), Swim 2 (long distances), Animal Handling 2 (dogs), Folk Ken 2, Hunt 2 (tracking), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (personalities), Awareness 2 (alertness), Area Lore: Highlands 2 (geography), Single Weapon 2 (Spear, Short)

Difficult Arts: Elementalist Fire 1
Arts: Cr 6(4), In 2, Mu 6, Pe 3, Re 5(1), An 10(2), Aq 0, Au 0, Co 5, He 0, Ig 5, Im 0, Me 0, Te 0, Vi 1,
Controlling (Philosophiae ): 6(4)

Spells Known:
Beast of Outlandish Size (MuAn 15) +25
Doublet of Impenetrable Silk (MuAn 15) +19
Soothe the Ferocious Bear (ReAn 10) +23
Soothe Pains of the Beast (CrAn 20) +27
Viper's Gaze (ReAn 15) +23
Circle of Beast Warding (ReAn 5) +23
Growth of the Creeping Things (MuAn 15) +19
Preternatural Growth and Shrinking (MuCo 15) +13
Spasms of the Uncontrolled Hand (ReCo 5) +12
Palm of Flame (CrIg 5) +13

Controlling roll : Elemential fire 1 + Controlling (Philosophiae ) 6 + Pre 3 + aura + stress die

1222: 10 xp Parma, 10 xp animal Ken, 10xp Controlling
1223: 10 xp Re, 10 xp An

The Cult of the Beast

The Cult of the Beast is a vulgar way the Order groups four smaller practices that share similar roots and traditions into a single name. Each practices ability to control animals that fall within the elemental traits. They all had their origins in the early Goetic Arts but were not stigmatized like the Theurgist who dealt with spirits. All of the practices originated in the Eastern Mediterranean lands.

Those that are in the order focus on a single element for each lineage. The followers of Caeculus focus on fire. The followers of Enki focus on Earth. The Adherents of Ouranos focus on the element of air and the Oceanus cult on the element of water. There are some still outside the order that can do more than one element.

Major Non-Hermitic Virtue: Elemental Control (Philosophiae) - Hedge Magic
Minor Hermetic Virtue: Inoffensive to animals.

Major Hermetic Flaw: Chaotic Magic

Required Virtue: Elementalist - (fire, earth, water, air)

Background:
Donnchadh mac Gille Bhríshde was born into the Urquhart clan near the northern end of Loch Ness. It was apparent from an early age that Donnchadh was different from most of the other children. It was clear he was smarter than most and it made him more difficult for everyone.

He had many friends but as he grew older then tended to stay away. On reason was his strangeness and smarts. The other was his love of practical jokes. His constant companion in these was another boy who was as physically different as could be. Cú Líi was large and strong where Donnchadh was smaller and thin. They quickly became well known in the area for their more elaborate jokes.

When they were both 10, Donnchadh and Cú Líi played a joke on a passing stranger that involved a meat pie and a long mud slide into the Loch. That evening the boys were roughly grabbed and brought to the council meeting area. Many of the elders as well as two strangers...one of which was still a bit wet.

It turned out that the person who plunged into the lake was Nantosuelta ex Misc and the other was Cainneach, a Gruagach that lived in the area. Both had shown up on this day to discuss Donnchadh and Cú Líi. After some arguing that Donnchadh did not quite understand it was agreed that Cainneach would take Cú Líi and Donnchadh would become apprenticed to Nantosuelta. The Clan elders seemed almost happy to see the boys leave.

His apprenticeship was not easy. Nantosuelta was a wanderer with no home Covenant. She would stay at magical sites for a time and be a guest at Covenants for others. She nearly beat Latin into his brain and some of the other formalities of the Order. What was easier was the magic and working with animals.

After he had passed his gauntlet, it took him 2 years to return the the Highlands and his Clan. There he found Cú Líi, now called Conachar Mor, waiting for him. After they got the measure of each other and told their tales of apprenticeship, their friendship continued from where it had left off. Both had more responsibilities to the Clan and both took it seriously ( kind of) but the Clan need to laugh every now and then.

3 dog sizes
Big dog: Mastiff or deerhound
Characteristics: Int 0, Per +2, Pre 4, Com 0, Str 0, Sta +2, Dex +1, Qik +2
Confidence: 0 (0)
Virtues and Flaws: Improved Characteristics*, Long Winded (Fatigue Rolls: +3), Sharp Ears (Hearing: +3), Reckless*
Personality Traits: Reckless +3, Loyal +3, Brave +2
Reputations: Loyal (Local) 2
Combat:
Bite: Init: +2, Attack +8, Defense +7, Damage +1
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, 1, 3, 5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: 1 (1 5), 3 (6 10), 5 (11 15), Incapacitated (16 20), Dead (21+)
Abilities:, Athletics 4 (distance running), Awareness 4 (keeping watch), Brawl 3 (Bite), Hunt 4 (track by scent)
Equipment:

Medium dog : Collie
Size: 1
Virtues and Flaws: Improved Characteristics*, Size: 1, Long Winded (Fatigue Rolls: +3), Sharp Ears (Hearing: +3), Reckless*
Combat:
Wound Penalties: 1 (1 4), 3 (5 8), 5 (9 12), Incapacitated (13 16), Dead (17+)
Abilities: Athletics 4 (distance running), Awareness 4 (keeping watch), Brawl 3 (Bite), Hunt 4 (track by scent)
Equipment:

Small Dog: terrier
Size: 2
Virtues and Flaws: Improved Characteristics*, Size: 2, Long Winded (Fatigue Rolls: +3), Sharp Ears (Hearing: +3), Reckless*
Combat:
Wound Penalties: 1 (1 3), 3 (4 6), 5 (7 9), Incapacitated (10 12), Dead (13+)
Abilities: Living Language 5, Athletics 4 (distance running), Awareness 4 (keeping watch), Brawl 3 (Bite), Hunt 4 (track by scent)
Equipment:

Donnchadh pack:
Growler - Animal companion Mastiff
Dooger - Deer Hound - large
Peck, Bushel, Rod - Collie - medium
King Edward, Sir Edwin, Sir Jehan - terriers

Looking for opinions on Voice of the Highlands. The virtue grants the ability to speaking to any animal in that environment. It might be a bit over the top considering he also has Animal Ken

Is that a home-brew Virtue? Regardless, Animal Ken is only a Minor Supernatural Virtue, and Voice of the Highlands looks like a limited version of Animal Ken, so I'd say don't bother with Voice of the Highlands and just go with Animal Ken.

No. RoP:Magic I think. I think so as well.

Ah. Found it. Voice of the (Land), p. 47. (Thank you, Virtue and Flaw Index pdf...page references make life easier).

Looks like it's also Minor Supernatural. Kind of a trade-off, in that it's limited to creatures whose natural habitat is the Highlands, but it allows you to speak with magic beings as well as animals.

So, basically, by taking both, you're getting virtues that (a) allow you to speak with animals from anywhere, and (b) talk to magic beings native to the Highlands that don't already speak Gaelic or Latin. So far, the Giants tend to speak Gaelic, and the Niseag hasn't made an actual close-enough-to-talk-to appearance yet. Personally, I would just take the Animal Ken, but that's just me. Your call.

I can change it. Puissant Animal Ken I think but i will think about it while i make dinner.