Eastern Island

I intend, if possible, to have Pierus determine whether the man thinks the villagers would lynch us for being magi (roughly speaking) via a subtle cast of Asking the Silent Question; but - it being Christmas - I don't really have the time to work out the relevant totals. I'll try to do so tomorrow.

silveroak - would it appear odd to cast in Normal voice (that is, is normal casting significantly above conversational tones)?

Merry Christmas, all!

You don't know this person well enough to know for certain what he would find odd.

Fair enough, point taken. Question still stands, though - is normal casting louder than standard conversation?

Sorry, thought that was a statement, not a question- yes, it is. Normal casting is like a voice raised but not yelling.

Ok. Having looked at the totals, Pierus would need to roll about a 12 to cast the spell even moderately subtly, so he'll pass. As you were.

(Ooc : Sorry for the font i'm using my old blackberry, it's a pain :smiley: )

Argyros spoke in Latin to others magi.
"Guys we can use the skills of our crew members. I meam we can still all regroup here and fish, hunt with the tweedle brothers, help them repair stuff, use some girls for housekeeping. Disguise one of guy into farmer and use our spells in a more subtle ways. At fist let's just ask for a landing authorization and see in which way we can trade skills for food, water, shelters with or without magic. Let's ask them about the others island etc"

The young man looks around your ship "Few of those passing through offer service in trade, I can take the offer to the elders, but they will likely decline..

Argyros To the young man
"Can we at least anchor our boat there and being around while we're trying to repair the ship ? Maybe our crew would be useful to you after a while na?"

The young man considers this "I will ask" He walks over to the side of the boat beside the cliff, climbs on the rail then begins scaling the cliff back up to the top.

Euphemia replied, "I can assure you, sir, that I am likely more skilled than any healer you have, and that I might offer help with any illness or humor."

When he dove overboard suddenly, she called after him, "Thank you!"

To the rest of the people on the boat, grinning wide, "Well, that's one way to meet people, right?"

She gently pokes Argyros in the arm. "Please think about what you say before you say it. 'Use the girls for housekeeping,' really. Just because we have vaginas doesn't mean that we're inanimate objects." She sticks her tongue out at him.

"Euphemia, come on. We're on a remote island, probably in the middle of nowhere. What are the odds for landing on an island where gender equality is established? I do not want my sister to do housekeeping neither but at least if this can make us not being hunted with forks by those people it's worth it no? Plus I'm starting to have a feeling here. We found 4 islands right? You were on 1 with demons and infernal aura. This one could be in a divine aura with religious people who would prefer a woman with a broom than with a pen. But can't be sure until we can go there of course"

Pierus looks thoughtful for a moment. "I've never given much thought to differences between the sexes. It occurs that there are coarse distinctions to be made in such things as raw physical strength, and these could affect what a person is capable of; but they need not - our own Captain Ginger is evidence of that! The commonly held belief is that women are also of lesser intellect; and yet female magi exist, and usually a maga is just as capable as her magus compatriot. I have little experience of female intellect among mundanes, so I do not know whether any difference exists there. Perhaps I should make a study of it. Or perhaps the true distinction is threefold - male from female from magi.

"By the Founders, that man climbs quickly!"

After a few minutes a new man dives down "My brother now warms himself by the fire, but the elders have spoken, if you establish yourselves on a nearby island, then we can discuss trade based on your situation then, we have no use for refugee servants."

"Euphemia, could you ask our friend if he will at least share some local knowledge? I would prefer to avoid a repeat of that island" (Pierus gestures) "Perhaps he knows of somewhere we could settle, with fruit and game, and water, for provisions?"

Euphemia, by way of reply, puts her hands on her hips and leans in very close to Argyros. Her baleful stare could wither a mighty oak.

Abruptly, she flicks him on the forehead and dances backward, giggling gleefully. "Oh, but I only ask you to be more careful with your grammar, dear Argyros. Latin is such a delightfully precise language, don't you think?"

She answers Pierus, "The difference between men and women, dear Pierus, is that women have managed to convince men that they are weak and stupid, and by doing so avoid being rounded up and sent off to war for a king they have never met on a field they have never seen before their dying day. It is a testament to the integrity and character of the Order that neither domination by strength nor by wiles is sanctioned, and that we alone, in all the world, are governed by our own consent. At least, that would be the case, in an ideal world. But what is Magic, if not the world of the Forms?"

In reply to the new villager, she bats her eyelashes at him and appeals to his vanity, "I see. Well then, sir, where might we most gainfully establish ourselves? Surely you know which of these islands has the most bountiful game and river."

"For fruit and game all but the one to the northwest of here are of similar character, and I would urge any to avoid that cursed island, it simply has not been the same since the colony which established itself there was burned down. The island south of there similarly is plagued by monsters, but they are monsters of the sea, and easily avoided if you sail only by day and do not intrude upon their bay. Not long ago we witnessed a ship attacked by these monsters, it would appear the survivors of that wreck were stranded on an island west of the sea monster island. To the north and East of us is an island which is frequently used by those traversing this sea, which apparently has abundant fruit and game but if you have enemies from those who travel here you will not go unnoticed. None have settled there, though they have camped for the night, but tell stories of spirits or monsters which haunt the island and which must be guarded against. As to the remaining islands, I cannot claim any specific familiarity with them."

ooc: Is the island with sea monsters the one the other party are exploring?

yes

Pierus: "It appears our compatriots may be in danger, if we do not take them off that island by sundown. We should make haste.

Perhaps we could then attempt to seek shelter, temporarily at least, among those other shipwrecked souls this man mentioned? For permanent settlement, I personally have no preference between there and the more frequented isle - it would be good, perhaps, to be able to enjoy passing trade; but perhaps we may yet find a strong aura to make use of - but for now, the company of fellow castaways who may welcome our presence and provide mutual assistance seems sensible."

"Those on the island have nothing to fear, it is ships at sea the monsters attack." The man looks at the magi for a second then bites his lip. "Um, I wasn't meant to understand that, was I?"