Enchantments of the Forest Grove: Spells for moderation

Enchantments of the Forest Grove: By Edith of Ex-Miscellanea

Conjure the Wooden Sanctuary CrHe 25
This spell creates a simple, temporary, wooden hut with plain shutters over windows and a simple wooden door. The hut is large enough to sleep 4 people comfortably, though double that number could cram inside if vital. The hut only lasts until dawn or dusk, so a maga casting this spell would arrange to have everyone up and out of the hut before first light.
Edith of Ex-Miscellanea (a dire critic of the charlatan, Barnabas of Verditus) liked to sleep in comfort when she travelled with companions. Her sigil involves leaf designs which are carved into the shutters and doors.
[B: 3, R: Touch +1, D: Sun +2, T: Individual, Size +2; Complexity +1]
(Note: I’ve realised that “Conjure the Wooden Sanctuary CrHe 15” ignored the fact that a hut is an ‘unnatural shape’ and should be base 3 – this is a more accurate version intended to replace that spell suggestion. The fact there are simple fittings within the hut warrants +1 magnitude for complexity I feel.)

Dusk of Autumn’s Bounty CrHe 30
This ritual is cast upon a fruit seed planted at sunrise, by dusk the tree has reached full maturity and born fruit which naturally begin to fall to the ground at the end of the spell’s duration.
It is said that Edith invented this spell to assist with the growing of an orchard in her covenant’s vicinity. Over a number of years her efforts even aided the covenant’s income, as they had such harvest of apples, pears that they were able brew cider and perry to sell in local markets.
[B: 15, R: Touch +1, D: Sun +2, T: Individual; Ritual]
(I’ve made this a ritual, firstly because I couldn’t decide whether the accelerated growth would be permanent otherwise, and mainly to ensure that the fruit obtained would be nutritious. I’ve assumed the +3 Size freebie of the level 1 effect is also free for this type of spell.)

The Immaculate Fruit Tree CrHe 35
By virtue of this ritual a sickened or sorry specimen of a tree is improved to the stature of a typical tree of its variety.
Edith noticed that some of the fruit bearing trees in the vicinity of her covenant bore rather bitter or only quite small fruit. She developed this ritual to help the tree reach its true potential and improve the quality of future harvests from it.
[B: 30, R: Touch +1, D: Momentary, T: Individual; Ritual]
(Modelled on Animal effects, I’ve been slightly generous given the limited applications of this spell)

Voice of the Forest Grove InHe 50
In the heart of many ancient forests there is usually a glade where the oldest and wisest trees can be found, sometimes hidden within a regio. To speak with this council of trees, this ritual must be cast upon a solstice or equinox. For the duration of the spell the Maga can hear their deliberations and speak at their council, though she may not necessarily be welcome nor her requests granted. Note: This spell only works with trees which are already conscious.
Ancient trees have different personalities and powers, it is up to the storyguide to determine what aid or outcome may follow a Maga’s interaction with the council:
Alder: Protective with limited oracular powers
Apple: Kind and with some healing ability
Beech: Paternal and able to command other trees
Birch: Stoic and defends against evil spirits
Blackthorn: Commanding, with an acceptance of and insight into fate
Elder: Wise, with an insight into the cycle of life, death and rebirth
Elm: Forthright and strong, occasionally vengeful
Hawthorn: Sensitive to magic and knowledgeable of defences against it
Hazel: Divinatory and knowledgeable; a quiet voice that carries great weight
Oak: Lord of the forest, the oak usually adopts the role of a leader of any council
Pear: Whimsical, capable of inspiring love
Pine: Accusing and judgemental, but also loyal and proud
Rowan: Magical and manipulative; will bargain cleverly with wizards
Willow: Sensitive to magic, ghosts and death
Yew: Can offer defence against spirits and induce visions
[B: 15, R: Touch +1, D: Moon +3, T: Group +2; Ritual]
(yes, ok, I’ve just always liked Council of Trees :wink: )

Entrance to the Hidden Sanctuary MuHe 20
Requisite: Rego
By touching a large tree, the roots and body of the tree open up to allow the Maga to enter a space created within the tree. A small knot hole is left as the entrance closes so that the Maga can breathe and peer out if she has need to. If the Maga wishes to leave the sanctuary she will need to recast the spell. At the end of the duration of the spell, the tree begins to resume its previous shape. If she is still within the tree when the spell fails, the Maga will begin to asphyxiate (see deprivation p180).
[B: 3, R: Touch +1, D: Sun +2, T: Individual; Requisite +1; Fancy effect +1]

//Dusk of Autumn’s Bounty CrHe 30
This ritual is cast upon a fruit seed planted at sunrise, by dusk the tree has reached full maturity and born fruit which naturally begin to fall to the ground at the end of the spell’s duration.
It is said that Edith invented this spell to assist with the growing of an orchard in her covenant’s vicinity. Over a number of years her efforts even aided the covenant’s income, as they had such harvest of apples, pears that they were able brew cider and perry to sell in local markets.
[B: 15, R: Touch +1, D: Sun +2, T: Individual; Ritual]
(I’ve made this a ritual, firstly because I couldn’t decide whether the accelerated growth would be permanent otherwise, and mainly to ensure that the fruit obtained would be nutritious. I’ve assumed the +3 Size freebie of the level 1 effect is also free for this type of spell.) //

This is a ReHe effect. It does not require vis nor does it require to be a ritual to be nourishing. I'd have to look at the book to reconstruct the spell. I think the base level determines the speed of the accelerated growth.

W

Just to add a spell that would fit well in the Magus's book of forest spells.

Inviting the Elder to Dinner
MuMe(Co) 40
Allows the spirit of a tree to take humanoid form. Edith invented this spell so that she could return the same value of insight to the old Oak tree of the forest that he had provided for her.

The ancient spirit found the expience exilirating. Edith was able to convince the spirit that her and her friends could protect and benefit to the forest. Finally, the oak spirit offered to her and those that would travel with her, safe passage thru his forest.

This treaty subsist up untill today.

[B: 25, R: Touch +1, D: Sun +2, T: Individual, Free Requisite]

W

If it were already a full grown tree, I'd agree with you. The same base ReHe effect would allow an already mature tree to blossom out of season (I'd allow produce fruit) in a moment.

Edith wanted this effect from a nut (and had bags of Herbam vis :wink: ) - :stuck_out_tongue:

Lovely idea :smiley: Definately something Edith would do!

True... I reread the CrHe guidelines. You are absolutely right. I don't know why I had the impression it should have been Rego...

Thanks for the heads up!

W