Enhancing the durability of magical items

One thing our troupe has recently talked about is how surprisingly fragile magic items are. If someone enchants a magical item, let's say a sword to have a variety of effects in it, this is easily undone by a Magi casting Rusted Decay of Ten-Score Years to be unusable.

Is it possible, and if so, there to be a magical breakthrough or variety there of which allows one to enhance the durability of a magical item so that it's not so easily destroyed by a single spell? Giving it magic resistance or something like that.

Giving items Magic Resistance is (intentionally) very difficult in ArM5.
Please do remmeber though, that your Parma Magica covers many objects that you carry, as well as (usually) your Talisman.

2 Likes

Enchanted items are in general much more durable than the equivalent non-enchanted item.
See City&Guild p77+79 for rules on item durability.

That extra durability doesn't protect them from magic though.

2 Likes

Assuming MR has the Target: Individual guideline (not explicitly stated anywhere?), it includes your clothes. Stuff you carry, like swords or a bag you've slung over your shoulder aren't included.

So smart magi will enchant things they can wear - jewelry, cloaks, boots, belts, robes, or put important enchantments into talismans, which share their MR.

1 Like

Only as long as they are touching it. See ArM5 p.98, fifth paragraph under "Talisman Attunement".

1 Like

Good luck with that! It was easy in 3rd edition, but non-trivial in the 5th edition. :slight_smile:

1 Like

you might want to take a look at Impede the intermittent Interloper, in Dies Irae

2 Likes

An Aegis also protects the items inside of it from magical attacks from outside. Aegis and Parma are also similarly hard to dispel/suppress from outside.

Is it called Impede the Impertinent Interloper (TME p.109)? This spell is very specialized.

1 Like

yes, that's the one. Sorry, my memory's crap since my stroke and I haven't read any Ars book in ages :persevere:
now, imagine a Personal variation into the item, aimed, not at ReCo, but at PeTe :wink:

Yep. That works against PeTe directed at the item. And all the best wishes for your recovery!

2 Likes

I didn't play 3rd edition, but I'm not really seeing what could be the big issue in 5th. Can you tell me what you refer to, to make sure I'm not overlooking something?

Is it just the vis capacity limits?

In 5th edition, it's explicitly made difficult. There are intentionally no guidelines - you could use the Aegis of the Hearth as a baseline, but that would explicitly require a lot of (original) research, according to the text of the Aegis (ArM5, p. 161).

In the 3rd edition, the spell was ready made and in a sidebar.

This has been discussed in a lot of threads over the years, eg: Search results for 'magic resistance items' - Atlas Games RPG Forum

Ah, okay. Yeah I'm aware that there is no guideline for that.

Due to the section you replied to, I was under the impression that it is difficult to enchant robes/boots etc. that are covered by the wearers MR, due to proximity.

I wonder if you could use an analogous guideline to the cran 50 "create a magical beast" to create a magic thing with it's own might score. Of course this comes with a series of complications, but you know

Edit: side benefit of weapons with magic resist: wards against them must penetrate

3 Likes

Would putting a PeVi Circle/Ring on an item like this affect the whole item as being "inside the circle" due to the circle being on the item, or only the part that is physically inside the design?

For an item, I would do Personal/Constant.

1 Like

Sure, I think in an enhanted item you could do that as an invested effect. And then it would inarguably affect anything hitting the item.

But what about just casting the PeVi Circle/Ring? Does the Base Individual of Vim make the effect include any spell affecting the item?

If you're using Circle, the base Individual is irrelevant. Separately, you need to specify what the PeVi effect it against. The guideline says, "Dispel effects of a specific type..." Like a spell in HoH:S, the example here dispels "instant transportation," not specifically ReCo. It won't stop most ReCo effects, but it will stop ReAn and other types of teleportation. For any spell at all on the item, though, you'd really need the general dispelling, and even that would only be one Realm.

2 Likes

The discussion above was for say protecting a sword against being destroyed with a PeVi effect using the same design but to dispel Terram effects affecting the sword.

So what I'm speculating here is that whether the circle includes the whole sword or not is basically irrelevant in the vast majority of instances. If the incoming effect affects the whole object, including the part unambiguously included in the circle, then by affecting that portion it would become included in the scope of the logic of the Base Individual including any suitable magic affecting the target.

You misunderstood me. I was confirming your point but specifying what MR would not cover because it is assumed to have an Individual target basis.

So clothes and jewelry would be covered by Parma (or basic MR from another source), so smart magi would enchant objects that would be protected by their Parma rather than objects that they would carry that would not (like a non-talisman sword or staff).

2 Likes