Flipping the classroom

[strike]Same seasons? I.e., can I just change the name and XP totals in my spreadsheet?[/strike]

Never mind, found it. S'what I get for not reading everything before I reply. :stuck_out_tongue:

I also remembered last night that I forgot to set aside a season for student-hunting. Or will Transylvania Tribunal/House Tremere/Bonisagus handle that for the school?

I edited the first post in the page with who is teaching what, based on Renimar's post.

The formula is as follows:
For Arts: (Com + Hermetic Instruction+ Virtue + Summa Q10 + Std 3 + SS Bonus 6)/6, rounded up. For Arts, the Single Student Bonus still applies, even in a classroom setting. It's part of the breakthrough, and as Hermetic Teaching scores increase.

For Abilities (Com +Teaching + Virtue + Summa Q10 + Std 3)/6, rounded up.

And there's the reason for getting a target of 7 with Com + Teacher + Good Teacher. Even if a player had not selected Good Teacher for their professor they would still be able to get a decent total for teaching the Arts in the first year, a total of 4 for the class, which is only 1 less than what everyone else can do, and they would be able to teach Abilities just fine. It is also why I discouraged a former player of going all in on Teaching, running the scores (Com 5, Teaching 11) through the formulae above would have resulted in a teaching SQ of 6 for the Arts and 6 for Abilities. A lot of effort for what would have amounted to very little reward...

It looks like Fabrica can fit just about any teaching slot as easily as any other, given her stats. And it seems like Catrina might be better for De Architectura than either of the two others, given her focus in Imaginem and her decent scores in Corpus and Mentem.

Fabrica is a man! (and my Latin is awful :frowning: )

Should it be Fabricus?

For the first year student's its not a huge deal on who teaches what. For later years it will probably become more important.

Well, assuming the name is meant to be Latin, then yea, it should be Fabricus. (Think Marcus, Julius, Brutus, etc.)

At this stage, anyone can fill any of the teaching slots. Which is kind of the point of fixing teaching, outlined here. Teaching in Ars was broken, in that the rules couldn't replicate the virtues for educated or Baccalaureus in Art & Academe. The rules couldn't even come close to a virtue, and so if you were setting a game in a University, all of the teachers would have to be a Good Teacher, and their Teaching + Com score would have to be 7, on average!

Have we settled how we're learning Hermetic Instruction yet? I want to plan out the last three years, but I need to know what seasons will be taken up learning Hermetic Instruction.

The last I understood was Clement was learning for two seasons from Elizabeth and would teach everyone else in one season. He would be 2 (3) and everyone would be at a score of 2 (0).

Got it. I'll go with that plan. :slight_smile:

I'll leave it to Clement to decide when he's teaching everyone...

So, we would all have two seasons from Elizabeth, and one from Clement, or Clement has two seasons, then teaches everyone for a season (thus, everyone but him would have just one season of learning Hermetic Instruction to get it to a 2)?

If the former, that frees up three seasons on Fiona's planner. If the latter, five.

Could she use a season or two of those for going out and looking for students? (Willing to handwave, just taking xp in Area Lore or something.)

Elizabeth teaches Clement for two seasons. Clement turns around and teaches everyone else to the same level in one season, for a total of three seasons spent by him, and one for everyone else.
Again, this is my last understanding. Clement still gains some seasons of free time, 3 vs 6...

Renimar and I were debating it as we had both set it up in our last 3 years. We were rolling for it and I got a 3 so I'm guessing Ancel will be the one teaching. He can get a SQ of 16 and he was planning on teaching everyone in the winter of 1269. If somehow he rolls a 2 then Clement will adjust to the same season so everyone else can plan. Either way, one of us will take 3 seasons and everyone else needs to give 1.

I realize that we're pretty much all competent to teach any class. But all things being equal, Catrina would prefer to teach De Architectura. She's an illusionist above all else (Im 17+3), and isn't half bad with Corpus and Mentem (Co 10 and Me 10).

Fabrica is the top Elementalist that we have so that should work.

Qcipher, you good with this change?

Yes...as long as Fabricus is given proper accord 8)

Just waiting for my thread so I can post my first day of class. :slight_smile:

OK, so here are a few things Fabricus will create.

For Clement, in recognition of the teaching done for the professors at the School. An Item of Quality, Crown +5 to Gain respect, Authority ("What? Why wouldn't you wear a crown while teaching?"). 1 Pawn of Vim vis, 1 season

Just to have: Panpipes, Item of Quality +5 Control Children ("Children! I will break out the pipes! You remember what happened to the last class don't you?"). 1 Pawn of Vim vis, 1 season

Just to have: The Superlative Sword +4 Harm human and animal bodies, 1 Pawn of Vim vis, 1 season

Just to have: The Arcane Aegis (Heater Shield) +5 Protection, 1 Pawn of Vim vis, 1 season

The Prestidigitation Wands
A simple wand, with runes wrapped along its length. When grasped and concentrated on, the user can conjure up visual images of potentially stunning clarity and even movement. The images though only reflect the quality of the user's imagination and most importantly Finesse. It can also be a tool to practice one's Concentration by maintaining an image as long as possible.
CrIm Base 1 (affect 1 sense) +2 Complexity, R: T +1 D: C +1 T: I Unlimited Use +10 Total: 15

Lab total 50, creates 2 copies of it in 1 season, 4 pawns Cr or Im vis

Wands of Ethereal Grasp
Another set of simple wands, runes carved along them. These wands allow to user to lift and move small objects, nothing larger than what one could hold in your hand. When pointed at a suitable object and the user concentrates, the object will lift up and can move at the speed of a walking person for as long as the user concentrates. Again, a useful tool for honing one's Finesse and Concentration.
ReTe (As Unseen Arm) Level 5 R: V D: C T: I Unlimited Uses total level 15

Lab Total 50, creates 2 copies of it in 1 season, 4 pawns of Re or Te

Begone Meddlesome Faerie!
Fashioned from a horseshoe that was straightened out and has copper pennies affixed to it. This rod of correction is baleful to faeries regardless of their origin. Point it at the fae and say 'begone!' forcefully and the faerie will know your displeasure as its Might is stripped away from it. Not so funny now is it?!
PeVi 10 R: V+2 D: M T: I level 20 Penetration +12 levels (+24 Pen) +3 6 uses/day total level 35 causes the loss of 10 Might. Lab total: 53, 2 seasons 4 pawns Pe or Vi