From Hungary, westward (Winter 1235)

Sailing will not e much of a challenge, unless you want it to be :smiling_imp:

Well, if I have to give up a season for it, it might as well be worthwhile :laughing:

Perhaps. Do have something in mind?

No, nothing in mind. But I'm well aware she's a story Flaw.

You asked for it :smiling_imp:

Probably for the best. If we can finalize your membership we should have a grog or two to spare. And on that note...

Vocis sends a grog to inform Carmen that Antoine has arrived, then he walks Antoine all around the grounds, starting with the Mercere House and on around the keep counterclockwise. That means Vibria's tower, Solomon's tower, Vocis's tower, and finally the stronghold itself (home of Carmen, Arachne, and Kesara). He's deliberately avoiding Vulcanus's area and doesn't hide that fact from Antoine. If Carmen isn't immediately available, Vocis shows Antoine around the library for a while. If anyone wants to bump into the two of them during the tour, speak up.

Antoine nods appreciatively at the tour; the place is evidently well set up. He makes no mention of the avoided area, or the fact that Vulcanus's quarters have been absent from the tour; that in itself is acknowledgement of Vocis's actions, but he is too polite to mention it. He's taken Vocis's earlier cautions to heart, and realises that he will have to meet Vulcanus on the older man's terms, or else not at all.

As Vocis works to catch Carmen's eye, Lucas arrives on the scene from the direction of the Mercere tower. No doubt he's here in Andorra to consult with the resident Redcaps about something or another. He's lost in thought at first, and almost walks into the pair, looking up at the last second and pulling up short just before a collision.

"Oh, good afternoon Vocis," he says in a friendly tone. "And good afternoon to you as well," he adds to Antoine, a slightly raised eyebrow in Vocis's direction inviting an introduction if it would be appropriate. "I'm sorry for almost bumping into you. But i was distracted by some home renovation plans." He flashes them an embarrassed smile.

[hr][/hr]
Nothing much going on for Lucas, so I thought I'd drop in on this thread. Feel free to co-opt me or let me pass right through, as suits the story best.

:slight_smile:

No problem at all, Lucas. This is Antoine of Verditius, newly arrived in Andorra and seeking membership[sup]1[/sup]. Antoine, this is Lucas of Mercere, a journeyman of Andorra and covenant librarian.
[hr][/hr]
[sup]1[/sup] By this time Vocis has informed the entire covenant that Antoine is interested in joining and will arrive in winter 1235. I haven't had a chance to get to that part of the Transylvania Aftermath.

"A pleasure to meet you, Antoine," Lucas says earnestly, offering the magus his hand. "Vocis told us we should expect to see you soon. I hope you had a pleasant journey." He gives a nod to the castle in general. "I suppose he's giving you the two shilling tour. He did the same for me just a few months ago. It's an impressive piece of architecture."

"And a pleasure meeting you, too. The covenant certainly does have some very fine buildings; nice and solid. I don't believe Vocis mentioned your quarters on the tour, though - which part do you live in?

"Oh, I don't live in Andorra," Lucas replies. "I'm a resident of the covenant's chapter house in Mallorca. It's really not that inconvenient. And the sunsets there are not to be missed. If you join the covenant you'll have to come out for a week, or just a weekend. It's not to be missed."

Oh, I see! I don't think I'd heard about the chapter house yet. That does seem to be an agreeable arrangement; I shall have to make time to come and visit. I have spent my whole time since I was taken for apprenticeship in the mountains, and while they are undeniably majestic they are much colder than my childhood home. Some Mediterranean warmth would make a nice change.

"It's really quite magnificent," Lucas says. "But I have to warn you, we're disparately located in Mallorca. Not all the journeymen are in the same place. As a result, we have no Aegis of the Hearth protecting us." He shrugs as if to say that it's a risk that must be taken. "That aside, we do our best to keep security high. I have a small contingent of guards watching over my home. And we have plenty of guest rooms. Anyone from the covenant is always welcome. My wife and I love company." He smiles and adds, "Cecilia is a Redcap stationed at the covenant, but not a member of the covenant. She's often away running her routes, but it's another several weeks before she has to head out again. I know she's been looking forward to meeting you."

A brief interlude...
Asliano, you may want to take a look at what is going on here.
:mrgreen:

Lucas gives Vocis a nod to let him know that he's perfectly willing to take over guiding Antoine. "If your conversation takes you very long, I'll bring Antoine up to the library. In addition to being quite proud of it, I think it has the best view of the surrounding countryside in the entire castle." Then he turns back to the new magus and continues his conversation. "So, Vocis tells me that you're from his old stomping grounds out east. I'd say the Mediterranean climate might be a shock to you, but here in the mountains it stays quite cool most of the time. Of course, if you elect to join us in the Mallorcan chapter house, that's another matter. There it can get quite warm. But the sea breezes help mitigate that."

"Now tell me, is there anyone special back at home? I know many magi like the solitary life. But Vocis and I have been lucky enough to find the right woman. How about you?"

Ah, you see, while I was apprenticed in Coeris and have resided there ever since, I am originally from the town of Dijon, in France. Not Mediterranean by any means, but still much more temperate than the Carpathians.

Ah, indeed? That makes three of us, then! I have been courting a young lady for a couple of years, the daughter of a guildmaster in Hungary - the most beautiful girl, such eyes! - and before I left she agreed to marry me! She will join us next season, when mundane travel becomes easier. I'm afraid she doesn't trust your portals yet. I'm sure she would be delighted to meet your wife, and Vocis's.

"Indeed," Lucas replies., switching from Latin to French. "I'm born and raised in France myself, though I'm a Burgundy man. Thankfully, though, being House Mercere, I've had the opportunity to travel. I've been as far as the Stonehenge and Rhine tribunals, and spent a year working in Harco to learn the ropes. But I never made it as far as Transylvania."

"That's wonderful. Cecilia and I will have to have you over once you're settled in ... that is, assuming you decide to stay, and are accepted, of course. But I don't expect that will be a problem. And don't worry, we have an agreement with House Mercere that allows us to use their portal system for free. Coming out to Mallorca will be no problem at all."

"So tell me," he continues, what drew you here to Andorra?"

As Lucas guides Antoine around, they encounter Vulcanus :smiley:

Okay, I'm going to have Lucas make an Int + OoH Lore test to see if he remembers hearing what flavor of Verditus Antoine is, and if he even has any idea what that means to Vulcanis.

1d10=10; potential botch

1d10=2; no botch

Result = 0 + 1 (OoH Lore) + 3 (Int) = 4

I'm betting that's not nearly good enough to know/remember about the distinctions within House Verditus and the potential problems. I'm not even sure that anyone ever mentioned to Lucas what flavor of Verditus Antoine is.

Let the wackiness ensue.

[hr][/hr]
Seeing Vulcanis, Lucas walks Antoine up to the senior magus and introduces the two magi. "Vulcanis, this is Antoine, the magus that Vocis was telling us about. He's a Verditus mage too. He's come to petition for membership. Antoine, this is Vulcanis, one of the masters of the covenant." He remains blissfully unaware of any potential tension between these two magi.