Gardenia covenant management

I likewise have no clue what she can do.

Btw Plot Device, if you have book needs, do post about it so we can finalise a list of resources to acquire.

Re books, Kriegeist pretty much needs tractatus/vis at this point so go ahead and pick what summae you want, and if there's any leftover just Vim or Creo tractatus.

I probably could/should have had Margerie go along on the Italy story but it didn't occur to me at the time.

Learned Magicians don't do anything permanent, but she can make amulets that last a couple of years and grant virtues or bonus longevity. Then she can double their duration to get four years out of them. She's also just a good doctor.

Hello silveroak,

Here's a compilation of the purchases the covenant is trying to acquire through the redcap network for year 1230:

Summae:
*Expert Intellego (15+) / Master Intellego (20+)
*Master Creo (20+)
*Expert Muto (15+) / Master Muto (20+)
*Expert Terram (15+)
*Artes Liberales (authors such as Donatus, Euclid, Ptolemy, Priscion)
*Roots of the Arts - Ignem, Terram, Aquam, Herbam, Vim Lvl 6-7
*Finesse 3+ / 5+
*Penetration 3+ / 5+
*Concentration 3+
*Magic Theory 9+
*Parma Magica 5+ / 7+
Tractatus:

• Philosophae tractati's by authors such as Aristote, Peter Abelard, Hildegard of Bingen, Plato, Robert Grosseteste, Boethius, Adelard of Bath.
  • Artes Liberales by authors such as Aristotle, Cicero, Donatus, Hildegard of Bingen, Robert Grosseteste, etc.
    *2 of each of Finesse, Penetration, Concentration, Magic Theory, Parma Magica
    *2 Creo tractatus
    Lab Texts:
  • Wizard's Communion Level 30, 50
  • Wizard's Vigil Level 30, 50

Where possible, we're aiming for sound quality or better. Some lines have multiple scores, you should read that as looking for 2 different books. I understand not everything might be available. There's some flexibility as well (e.g. if we're aiming for a level 15+ book, and there is none, but there's a level 14 book, we'll consider it).

Could you return a list of what could be sold to the covenant with prices, and any relevant information for me to finalize the purchase list and update the treasury and library accordingly?

Thanks,

They can arrange delivery of all the roots for 5 pawns of vis- these are "The root of" Animal, Aquam, Auram, Creo, Ignem, Imagonem, Rego, Terram, and Vim. Animal and Vim are both 7/21, the others are 6/21. They can add a primer on herbem (5/15) for an additional 2 pawns.
They have available for exchange in the winter "The awe of creation" (Creo L:19 Q:14), for 20 pawns, "Cognito Ergo Est" (Intelligo L:15 Q:16) for 14 pawns, "The butterfly's art" (Muto L:14 Q:17) for 14 pawns, and "The living earth" (Terram L:15 Q:16) for 15 pawns.

the remainder they will respond in winter to let you know what they have found.

Did you mean Winter 1230 for the first list and Winter 1231 for the second list, or did you intend two separate dates in 1230?

I mean that Guida will bring the list to Harco in the middle Spring 1230 and by the end of spring they will send a reply back with her that if you are willing to make the suggested exchanges they will have the first list ready to trade in the winter of 1230.

by the way, which Donatus were you asking about? The Bishop of Carthage, Tiberius Claudius Donatus, or Aelius Donatus?

Roger.

I was refering to Aelius Donatus, see A&A p. 137 or, for all authors I quoted, more generally they are listed in the books by ability index PDF on atlas' website.

I'll confirm what we're buying in a separate message.

Okay for the Roots and the 4 works cited. That comes to 108 pawns. I'll update the wiki in the next few days.

I'll skip the primer on Herbam and see if we can order an intermediate book (8-13) instead.

Before her winter route they leve a note tha they have been able to find everything except he level 50 lab texts- including 9 tractatus on artes Liberales which meet your criteria at one mythic pound apiece and 5 tractatus on philosophae.also at one mythic pound apiece.
The tractatus on finesse, penetration, concentration, magic theory and parma magica tractatus will cost two pawns apiece.

I've updated the treasury and library pages with the purchase of 108 pawns' worth of summae for Winter 1230.

Before we get to more book purchases, I'd like to check with you how many pawns the redcap would charge for 8 pawns of Herbam for Elia's ritual? We have a surplus of Mentem, Terram and Corpus to trade, if that helps...

Standard rates are 2:1, so 16 pawns. They will cut you a deal for Corpus though and trade 8 herbem for 14 corpus.

The 8 pawns of Herbam vis are paid for so you could do your ritual in the Summer 1230.

1 Like

Allright, could we detail the summae and tractatus that are available for purchase in winter?

artes liberales: Prior Analytics (the logica nova), Posterior Analytics (the logica nova), On Sophistical Refutations (the logica nova), On Interpretation (the logica vetus), Categories (the logica vetus), De inventionae (I-III), Ars grammatica - Ars major

Philosophae: Timaeus (translation), Nicomachean Ethics book II and III, On the Soul, Questiones Naturale

Finesse: shape and effect on manipulation at increasing speed (Q:14), and Malleability and manipulation (Q:13)
Penetration: The wizards awl (Q:9), and Focusing agical energies for more profound effects (Q:14)
Magic theory: the distinction of essential plants and vis (Q:12) and lab arrangements for better spell development (Q:10)
Parma Magica: Defense against the dark arts (Q:13)- this test is encoded so it requires hermetic magic theory of 3 or higher to read, Sheild of knowledge (Q:13)- encoded so it requires a parma magica of 1 or higher to read.

What would be the cost of the lvl 30 lab texts?
Did they find any arcane ability summaes?

All bought and added to the library. 9 tractatus, so 9 MP.

I've bought On the Soul, Questiones Naturale and Timaeus (Trans) - 3 MP. That being said Timaeus (trans) is a commentary by Boethius on the Timaeus of Plato. Per Covenant, commentaries may not be studied without having first studied the book on which they write about. Would they happen to have the Timaeus tractatus by any chance, or know how to acquire it?

Re: Nicomachean Ethics, would they have the summae which is the latin translation of Aristotle, rather than the Q4 tractatii, or know how to acquire those?

In books by ability it indicates Timaeus is by Plato but translated by Calcidius into Latin for a final SQ:8. That is the text I was referring to, which the list refers to as a tractatus.
I put (trans) to indicate a translation, I had already filtered out the commentary and didn't see the confusion that the notation would cause. There is a bit of conflict in that technically a commentary should have to be on a summae, not a tractatus.
They do not have a Latin translation of Aristotle for Nichomachean Ethics. They can look into finding it but can make no guarantees, if you want to commission the research.

Elia can help translate it to Latin. She's got both Greek and Latin as languages.

They can get a copy in Greek by spring of 1231.

Sounds good for the Nichomachean Ethics copy in Greek by Spring 1231. I don't think translating it is necessarily worth a magi's season, frankly. We have an alternate summae in Philosophae, on review.

Prior to purchasing arcane ability tractatus, I'd like an answer to these questions:

Thanks.