Gavin ex Miscellanea

Fiddled with starting spells.

I did not. But I've corrected things. Thankfully the only thing lost is 2 points of penetration on two of the spells in his talisman.

I wasn't sure how those were being handled. But if that's the case, I'll have to figure out what to do with an extra season.

The section in the book we're using gives you a standard lab with no special stuff. PG said you have to spend a season to find a familiar. That's where they're from. So, yay, bonus season for you.

As near as I can tell, you're two points over on the Characteristics. My math shows:

• Int +3 (6 pts)
  • Per +1 (1 pt)
  • Str -2 (-3 pts)
  • Sta +2 (3 pts)
  • Pre +1 (0 pts, and a +1 to the score from his Strong Sidhe Blood Virtue)
  • Com +3 (6 pts)
  • Dex -2 (-3 pts)
  • Qik -1 (-1 pt)

Although...if you had put the +1 in Com instead of Pre where it's supposed to be, that might be how you got it to balance. But...yeah, Strong Sidhe Blood is +1 Pre, not +1 Com, and it's two points off, apparently.

Added a page for the Tradition on the wiki.

You don't have to spend seasons in Character Development to set up a lab (or, for that matter, do a detailed season-by-season audit, either). That being said, it takes two seasons to make a Talisman (one to open for enchantment, one to Attune it), and two seasons to do a Familiar (one season to find and befriend it, and one season to Forge the bonds) unless you already have a Magic Animal Friend/Companion or something as a Virtue or Flaw. Which, by my reckoning, means you have another 45 points to spend.

My math shows:

• Int +3 (6 pts)
  • Per +1 (1 pt)
  • Str -2 (-3 pts)
  • Sta +2 (3 pts)
  • Pre +1 (1 pts)
  • Com +3 (3 and a +1 to the score from his Strong Leanan Sidhe Blood Virtue)[sup]1[/sup]
  • Dex -2 (-3 pts)
  • Qik -1 (-1 pt)

I did put the +1 in Com instead of Pre per the rules for Strong Leanan Sidhe Blood[sup]1[/sup] on the wiki. He has Strong Leanan Sidhe Blood, not Strong Sidhe Blood, which allows +1 Pre or +1 Com.

[sup]1 - http://lochness.wikidot.com/new-faerie-blood[/sup]

I'll adjust the other stuff tomorrow. (Though he does have two seasons set aside for the talisman: Winter 1217 and Spring 1218.)

Ah. Didn't realize it was Leanan Sidhe Blood.

Carry on, then. :smiley:

What's confusing people on that end is that in the first post you list it as Strong Sidhe Blood, not Strong Leanan Sidhe Blood. You might want to edit that.

Fixed missing season. Added Feather Fall to talisman.

Revised writeup on familiar. I'll leave it up to Peregrine whether the Minor Story Flaw Magical Creature Companion is appropriate or not to represent Groot's mischievous nature.

You probably don't want Groot to be faerie. I don't see Faerie Magic among Gavin's Virtues, and that is needed to bind a faerie as a familiar. Plus you have to worry about cords decaying, though that's not really so bad. The former is the real issue.

Did you put Wizard's Motion in the lab thread? I didn't recall seeing it. You don't need to bother with the invisibility spell since it's just a duration change from the core spell. I'm guessing Wizard's Motion will get discussed a bit - not sure if through both air and water would be a single effect or a combined effect requiring an extra magnitude.

I just wanted a cool background bit for the creation of a familiar. I wasn't trying to get a faerie familiar. Mostly I was concerned with telling a good story and making whatever created Groot unrepeatable so that we didn't get into questions of why can't Gavin do it again. Does a creature created by a faerie de facto become a faerie?

If people really have a problem with this origin story, I can make it a little more clunky and say that she happened to have a magical creature in her service that she didn't know what to do with, so she gave it to Gavin. The story has a lot less flair, but I suppose it does have the benefit of checking off all the boxes required of it.

Or it could be Gavin's parens or a high muckity muck in the Society of Alchemists that created Groot. Honestly, I'm not looking to make this into a big deal.

It is an outer House mystery to bind a Faerie familiar. Not to say it could not be done but...

To confirm: I am not (repeat not) trying to bind a faerie familiar according to the mystery rules. I was just trying to come up with a cool story for where his familiar came from.

Is this a valid advancement (assuming the procurement of six Items of Virtue)? I'm still not sure I understand everything right about Items of Virtue.

[size=150]Advancement[/size]

[size=150]1213-1216[/size]
Gain 50*1.5=75 xp in Magic Theory
Gain 10 xp in Parma Magica
Gain 14 xp in Perdo
Gain 9 xp in Muto
Gain 9 xp in Corpus
Gain 1 xp in Animal
Gain 1 xp in Mentem
Gain 1 xp in Terram
Gain 25 xp in Mystery Cult Knowledge

[size=150]Spring 1217 - Summer 1218[/size]
Enriching Amber of Virtue, Basalt of Virtue, Cinnamon of Virtue,[strike]Ink of Hermes[/strike] Magnetite of Virtue, Magnet of Virtue, and Mercury of Virtue.
"Six seasons of Enrichment: 1D10+8 = [9]+8 = 17
1D10+8 = [1]+8 = 9
1D10+8 = [4]+8 = 12
1D10+8 = [9]+8 = 17
1D10+8 = [6]+8 = 14
1D10+8 = [6]+8 = 14
"
Multiplier: 1D10 = [10] = 10=20+8=28
All successful

[size=150]1218[/size]
Autumn: Find familiar
Winter: Bind familiar [CrVi], LT= 35 [-7 Co vis] G: 3, S: 0, B: 1
LT = 10 (Cr) + 8 (Vi) + 3 (Int) + 3 (IG) + 3 (Aura) + 8 (MT) = 35
[size=150]1219[/size]
Spring: Instill Mental Communication (master-to-familiar) into familiar bond (CrMe 15) [-2 Me vis]
LT = 10 (Cr) + 0 (Me) + 3 (Int) + 3 (IG) + 3 (Aura) + 8 (MT) + 5 (familiar) = 32
Summer: Instill Mental Communication (familiar-to-master) into familiar bond (CrMe 15) [-2 Me vis]
LT = 10 (Cr) + 0 (Me) + 3 (Int) + 3 (IG) + 3 (Aura) + 8 (MT) + 6 (familiar) = 33
Prepare talisman for enchantment for free, adding +5 instilled vis
LT = 10 (Cr) + 8 (Vi) + 3 (Int) + 3 (IG) + 3 (Aura) + 8 (MT) + 10 (receptacle) = 45 = 5 Vim vis
Autumn: Open talisman for enchantment [-12 Vim vis] (19 vis available)
Winter: Attune talisman

[hr][/hr]
Also, I'm not sure if I get to distill vis for free in these lab seasons. But if I can, that would be:
5 seasons of distillation
LT = 10 (Cr) + 8 (Vi) + 3 (Int) + 3 (IG) + 3 (Aura) + 8 (MT) + 8 (receptacle) +6 (familiar) = 49 = 5 Vim vis
5*5=25 Vim vis

Ink of Hermes is not something naturally occurring, so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't occur naturally with Vis in it.

Hmm. just reread part of the rules and see that I think you're right. Changed to Magnetite of Virtue.

Looks valid to me.

Updated talisman based on my understanding of rules on enriched Items of Power in a talisman.

It's a simple die. If you have 8+die you don't have to roll to guarantee a 9. A little late for me to say that now, though.

What's the last bit? Maybe it's just the equals signs that are throwing me off.

That's because I thought it was a stress die and that I needed a multiplier for the "1" I rolled.